Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

this just on fox news.

danielost

mom and pop stores seem to be doing just fine.

they have created over 60% of new jobs over the last 60 years.

so i don't think we need to worry to much about mom and pop stores.

also i don't know if any of you have ever been in a walmart but they usually have one or two mom and pop stores in them. ie nail salon, hair salon, and maybe a photo shoot area.

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• MissMelsWell

• danielost

• Caesar

• The Silver Thong

can someone please move this to the politics area thanks. and sorry.

most mom and pop stores are closing around here. well of course people around my area dont support their local small businesses..only corporate

Most of the stores inside of our local Walmart are part of chains like Vision Center, Dunkin Donuts, and Supercuts.

Most of the stores inside of our local Walmart are part of chains like Vision Center, Dunkin Donuts, and Supercuts.

perhaps but something to remember all chains started as mom and pops. i didn't include the vision center as mom and pop because they are owned by walmart. i also didn't include the banks because they are also not considered mom and pop.

but our local walmarts don't as far as i know have chains in them unless they are only in the walmarts. which is what it seems that one of the banks is. the other bank is a national chain.

I wonder what the stats are for mom and pop shops that have had to close? Tons of dinners and pubs here have shut down but I think thats more due to the smoking ban a couple years ago.

Edited by The Silver Thong

mom and pop stores seem to be doing just fine.

they have created over 60% of new jobs over the last 60 years.

so i don't think we need to worry to much about mom and pop stores.

also i don't know if any of you have ever been in a walmart but they usually have one or two mom and pop stores in them. ie nail salon, hair salon, and maybe a photo shoot area.

Are you kidding me? Mom and pops stores are barely getting by thanks to many big Chain stores like Walmart and Kmart because they cant really compete with their prices. To say mom and pop stores are doing fine is a boatload of crap. I've worked in retail long enough to know that it is not the rosy picture that Faux news picture them to be.

When you actually look into the eyes of mom and pops owners and see the despair on their faces wondering if they'll be able to meet their expenses and pay their bills, I would not take the crap that comes out of Fox news.

Edited by wolfram&hart12345

Are you kidding me? Mom and pops stores are barely getting by thanks to many big Chain stores like Walmart and Kmart because they cant really compete with their prices. To say mom and pop stores are doing fine is a boatload of crap. I've worked in retail long enough to know that it is not the rosy picture that Faux news picture them to be.

When you actually look into the eyes of mom and pops owners and see the despair on their faces wondering if they'll be able to meet their expenses and pay their bills, I would not take the crap that comes out of Fox news.

that's the nature of being a mom and pop store. the big chain stores don't have to worry their never going to close stores because they can't make the rent. oh sorry i forgot k-mart closed here in waco a year before i moved in.

by the way where is wards.

and if a mom and pop store does good enouigh they usually open up more stores thus becomeing a chain store and the enemy according to you.

so if you do good enough and open more stories then your a bad company. if you can barely pay your bills your a good company. or did i misread something.

Edited by danielost

as for fox news they are niether any worse or any better than any other news. if they both actually tell the news without a comment. in the case of this story fox news didn't they reported it and ended the show.

the only reason you don't like fox news is because they are conservitive leaning which they say they are. although when they do do a story on story they bring in people from both sides.

the liberals on the other side think there is only one side thiers. i watched a cnn report a couple of days ago. the reporter is going to let his father die because there is no universal med.

that's the nature of being a mom and pop store. the big chain stores don't have to worry their never going to close stores because they can't make the rent. oh sorry i forgot k-mart closed here in waco a year before i moved in.

by the way where is wards.

and if a mom and pop store does good enouigh they usually open up more stores thus becomeing a chain store and the enemy according to you.

so if you do good enough and open more stories then your a bad company. if you can barely pay your bills your a good company. or did i misread something.

Apparently you haven't seen what the real world is like. You have no idea what is going on except what they brainwash you on Faux news. I have been in retail and met enough mom and pop owners to know that it is not the rosy picture many people paint.

It appears we are separating into two species:

1. who believe in reality

2. who believe in reality television

--take everything MSM(AP, Reuters, CNN, FOX, MSNBC, NBC, CBS, CBC, BBC, etc..) with a grain of salt.... and a shot of tequila.

Thank you, I own a small cafe , which I have to close next month because I cant compete with the walmarts and the panera breads ect..anyone that knows me knows the struggle I have been through this year. glad some people can see the real truth.

Welcome to Panera Bread of Central Ohio, the online home of the Panera Bread franchisee in the Columbus, Cincinnati and Dayton metro areas. From here you can browse our menu, find the bakery-cafe nearest you, learn more about us, and much more

http://www.panera-centralohio.com/

as i said in this thread. if you do good and own more than one store your a bad guy. panera is a local chain not a national chain. the local grocery chain here in waco defeated the national chains. their only compitittion right now is walmart and target. the real grocery chains closed. so no not all mom and pops do bad against the big chains. i know since they have stores all over texas your going to say their not a mom and pop but really they are. i don't know how many stores they have. but albertsons has close to 10,000 stores nation wide.

and all of these chains started as mom and pop stores.

Thank you, I own a small cafe , which I have to close next month because I cant compete with the walmarts and the panera breads ect..anyone that knows me knows the struggle I have been through this year. glad some people can see the real truth.

as for your little cafe, all you really had to do was offer something the chains didn't or couldn't. or maybe your just in a bad location.

Apparently you haven't seen what the real world is like. You have no idea what is going on except what they brainwash you on Faux news. I have been in retail and met enough mom and pop owners to know that it is not the rosy picture many people paint.

and you never meet any mom and pop stores that are doing good.

as for fox news they are niether any worse or any better than any other news. if they both actually tell the news without a comment. in the case of this story fox news didn't they reported it and ended the show.

except that they left you with a FALSE impression, and they did it on purpose. Consider your logical lapse...

10 stores are in your town. 1 is a mom and pop. there used to be 3 mom and pops, but 2 closed when walmart moved in.

Starbucks has laid off 10 people. panera is not hiring. walmart has hired 3 people. Even though 2/3 of the mom and pops have gone out of busines, the one surviving one has hired two people. The headline still is "mom and pop stores hiring 60% of new employees," even though 2/3 of mom and pop stores have gone out of business.

People who watch fox are too intellectually lazy to think this out or to do any research that could conflict with their world view though, and apparently they aren't educated enough to understand and identify media bias.

and you never meet any mom and pop stores that are doing good.

Boy you really have no clue do you? Do you really think that it's that easy opening up one store yet alone multiple stores? Do you even know how long before a new business breaks even? It can take as long as a couple of years or longer before they can break even or even make a profit.

I have met store owners who have done well, unfortunately that is a very small minority. I have seen owners who have been in business for 20 and even 30 years who recently had to shut down because it was just that bad. Owners who once had multiple stores had to shut down and lost practically everything. I have seen new business owners go out of business on the same year. I have seen city blocks that was once bustling with people and businesses now have for lease signs or going out of business sales and within a few months even the building that houses these once business went into foreclosure. And these areas are not of low socioeconomic class either.

Boy you really have no clue do you? Do you really think that it's that easy opening up one store yet alone multiple stores? Do you even know how long before a new business breaks even? It can take as long as a couple of years or longer before they can break even or even make a profit.

I have met store owners who have done well, unfortunately that is a very small minority. I have seen owners who have been in business for 20 and even 30 years who recently had to shut down because it was just that bad. Owners who once had multiple stores had to shut down and lost practically everything. I have seen new business owners go out of business on the same year. I have seen city blocks that was once bustling with people and businesses now have for lease signs or going out of business sales and within a few months even the building that houses these once business went into foreclosure. And these areas are not of low socioeconomic class either.

you don't have any respect for anyone who doesn't see eye to eye with you do you.

i had my own business. i have a friend who runs a mom and pop computer store. he had to get a second job but he is keeping his store open.

i lost my business because i became reliant on one costumer.

i also drove cab which is a private business as well. ie it was in my name not the cab company but my own driver name and all.

a mom and pop store works like most people in this country do from paycheck to paycheck.

the bigger the chain the less they have to worry about it. but also if the parent company fails the whole chain fails. which is why there is no more wards. i wonder if you even heard of wards. there is a mom and pop wards in chicago, they are still open but they are not the same company as the one i am talking about.

well that's so true Neo... nice bit of math there.

That being said, I'm very close to opening a mom shop in the next few months I think.

I'm an out of work software engineer. Luckily, there are no walmarts in my area (I've only been to one once.. .biggest garbage filled place I've ever seen) and hopefully, what my little retail store will be selling will be just unique and popular enough to survive in this economy.

I'm thinking of opening a bead/craft/gem store. There are only a handful of these shops in my area... 4 to be exact and of those 4, only two specialize in what I'm thinking of specializing in. All four shops are always packed full of people and because they all carry slightly different stock, the share the same customer base. I've found that I think, with the right location, I can offer more stock, at a lower price. (one of the stores is floundering becaues they have a very very expensive retail space with great visibility, but HORRIBLE parking and low foot traffic)

It's this funky little market space that should do pretty good in a bad economy. We're at a place in the economy where people want to make their own gifts, and there's a psychological component to this business as well. The store is filled with items that range from .08 cents up to a couple of hundred dollars I suppose (depending) and people psychologically "zone" out and forget that .12 cents for an item adds up really quickly when you start buying enough to complete a project. More than if you'd bought the same item already made.

My overhead would be medium I guess... with space lease being the biggest cost (i'm finding that retail space in this area is anywhere from $17-30 a square foot per year... for the size and location I'm looking for, that's about 65K a year for the right space... that's a big chunk and the biggest concern at this point)

I'll combine the store with teaching classes, selling completed items and components made by local artists, and there might be a third element as well... which would include bringing in a franchise to use half the store space like a sublet (but that's underwraps right now while we work that part out).

Support your local mom and pop shops! I do.

Welcome to Panera Bread of Central Ohio, the online home of the Panera Bread franchisee in the Columbus, Cincinnati and Dayton metro areas. From here you can browse our menu, find the bakery-cafe nearest you, learn more about us, and much more

http://www.panera-centralohio.com/

as i said in this thread. if you do good and own more than one store your a bad guy. panera is a local chain not a national chain. the local grocery chain here in waco defeated the national chains. their only compitittion right now is walmart and target. the real grocery chains closed. so no not all mom and pops do bad against the big chains. i know since they have stores all over texas your going to say their not a mom and pop but really they are. i don't know how many stores they have. but albertsons has close to 10,000 stores nation wide.

and all of these chains started as mom and pop stores.

Panera bread started in my home town, you dont have to tell me anything. The guy who started it owned many McDonalds before he started this Chain..It really is a shame that you are so clueless to what is going on around you. Amazing how all I had to do was offer another product..MAN! I didnt think of that!..yea..thank you , now I can go back and save my business. Whew!

you don't have any respect for anyone who doesn't see eye to eye with you do you.

i had my own business. i have a friend who runs a mom and pop computer store. he had to get a second job but he is keeping his store open.

i lost my business because i became reliant on one costumer.

i also drove cab which is a private business as well. ie it was in my name not the cab company but my own driver name and all.

a mom and pop store works like most people in this country do from paycheck to paycheck.

the bigger the chain the less they have to worry about it. but also if the parent company fails the whole chain fails. which is why there is no more wards. i wonder if you even heard of wards. there is a mom and pop wards in chicago, they are still open but they are not the same company as the one i am talking about.

No, I just don't respect someone who has no clue and cannot see the reality and the many problems people have to face. I also don't respect hypocrites.

Also I've heard of Wards, Silo, Circuit City, Sam Goody's, and many more.

Edited by wolfram&hart12345

Panera bread started in my home town, you dont have to tell me anything. The guy who started it owned many McDonalds before he started this Chain..It really is a shame that you are so clueless to what is going on around you. Amazing how all I had to do was offer another product..MAN! I didnt think of that!..yea..thank you , now I can go back and save my business. Whew!

or you can just blame it all on someone else.

No, I just don't respect someone who has no clue and cannot see the reality and the many problems people have to face. I also don't respect hypocrites.

Also I've heard of Wards, Silo, Circuit City, Sam Goody's, and many more.

speaking of circuit city. how is that chain doing.

or you can just blame it all on someone else.

speaking of circuit city. how is that chain doing.

I am sorry if I blamed it on everyone else? Did I say that? not at all, i take blame most definitely. How could I not? But I also, grew every year 10% until this past year.So, yes the economy has a role, to act as if it doesnt is naive. Plus I did not have alot of money to begin with, so cant hold on forever if you dont have much money reserves.

You are set in your thinking and I cant change that because you have no clue what my life is or has been, so how can you possibly give a accurate point of view? and your opinion doesnt change the fact that mom and pop stores are closing because they cannot compete with the bigger retail stores. Period. :tu:

Mom and pop stores have to buy their merchandise at a market established price. WalMart tells the manufacturers what they are willing to pay to stock their products. With that sort of buying power, no mom and pop store can compete on price.

well that's so true Neo... nice bit of math there.

That being said, I'm very close to opening a mom shop in the next few months I think.

I'm an out of work software engineer. Luckily, there are no walmarts in my area (I've only been to one once.. .biggest garbage filled place I've ever seen) and hopefully, what my little retail store will be selling will be just unique and popular enough to survive in this economy.

I'm thinking of opening a bead/craft/gem store. There are only a handful of these shops in my area... 4 to be exact and of those 4, only two specialize in what I'm thinking of specializing in. All four shops are always packed full of people and because they all carry slightly different stock, the share the same customer base. I've found that I think, with the right location, I can offer more stock, at a lower price. (one of the stores is floundering becaues they have a very very expensive retail space with great visibility, but HORRIBLE parking and low foot traffic)

It's this funky little market space that should do pretty good in a bad economy. We're at a place in the economy where people want to make their own gifts, and there's a psychological component to this business as well. The store is filled with items that range from .08 cents up to a couple of hundred dollars I suppose (depending) and people psychologically "zone" out and forget that .12 cents for an item adds up really quickly when you start buying enough to complete a project. More than if you'd bought the same item already made.

My overhead would be medium I guess... with space lease being the biggest cost (i'm finding that retail space in this area is anywhere from $17-30 a square foot per year... for the size and location I'm looking for, that's about 65K a year for the right space... that's a big chunk and the biggest concern at this point)

I'll combine the store with teaching classes, selling completed items and components made by local artists, and there might be a third element as well... which would include bringing in a franchise to use half the store space like a sublet (but that's underwraps right now while we work that part out).

Support your local mom and pop shops! I do.

*perks* Beads?! Oooo shiney happy beadies... ran by not snobbish lady in Kirkland.. we likes that idea, yes we do!