Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Republicans want to take away your SSecurity

Rock Slinger

From an email that is circulating again

Social Security

Your Social Security

Just in case some of you young whippersnappers (& some older ones) didn't know this. It's easy to check out, if you don't believe it. Be sure and show it to your kids. They need a little history lesson on what's what and it doesn't matter whether you are Democrat or Republican. Facts are Facts!!!

Our Social Security

Franklin Roosevelt, a Democrat, introduced the Social

Security (FICA) Program. He promised:

1.) That participation in the Program would be

Completely voluntary,

No longer Voluntary

2.) That the participants would only have to pay

1% of the first $1,400 of their annual

Incomes into the Program,

Now 7.65% on the first $90,000

3.) That the money the participants elected to put

into the Program would be deductible from

their income for tax purposes each year,

No longer tax deductible

4.) That the money the participants put into the

independent 'Trust Fund' rather than into the

general operating fund, and therefore, would

only be used to fund the Social Security

Retirement Program, and no other

Government program, and,

Under Johnson the money was moved to the General Fund and Spent

5.) That the annuity payments to the retirees

would never be taxed as income.

Under Clinton & GoreUp to 85% of your Social Security can be Taxed

Since many of us have paid into FICA for years and are

now receiving a Social Security check every month --

and then finding that we are getting taxed on 85% of

the money we paid to the Federal government to 'put

away' -- you may be interested in the following:

------------ --------- --------- --------- --------- --------- ----

Q: Which Political Party took Social Security from the

independent 'Trust Fund' and put it into the

general fund so that Congress could spend it?

A: It was Lyndon Johnson and the democratically

controlled House and Senate.

------------ --------- --------- --------- --------- --------- --------- --

Q: Which Political Party eliminated the income tax

deduction for Social Security (FICA) withholding?

A: The Democratic Party.

------------ --------- --------- --------- --------- --------- --------- -----

Q: Which Political Party started taxing Social

Security annuities?

A: The Democratic Party, wit h Al Gore casting the

'tie-breaking' deciding vote as President of the

Senate, while he was Vice President of the US

------------ --------- --------- --------- --------- --------- --------- -

Q: Which Political Party decided to start

giving annuity payments to immigrants?

AND MY FAVORITE:

A: That's right!Jimmy Carter and the Democratic Party.

immigrants moved into this country, and at age 65,

began to receive Social Security payments! The

Democratic Party gave these payments to them,

even though they never paid a dime into it!

------------ -- ------------ --------- ----- ------------ --------- ---------

Then, after violating the original contract (FICA), the Democrats turn around and tell you that the Republicans want to take your Social Security away!

And the worst part about it is uninformed citizens believe it!If enough people receive this, maybe a seed of

awareness will be planted and maybe changes will

evolve. Maybe not, some Democrats are awfully

sure of what isn't so.

But it's worth a try. How many people can YOU send this to?

Actions speak louder than bumper stickers.AND CONGRESS GIVES THEMSELVES 100% RETIREMENT FOR ONLY SERVING ONE TERM!!!

A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.

-Thomas Jefferson

Edited by Rock Slinger

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Rock Slinger

• IronGhost

• WoIverine

• __Kratos__

I did not check out the facts here myself but thought I'd post it for some feedback. I had recieved this as a chain letter type of email, maybe you've seen it.

takeyourfail.jpg

The economy is such crap, I'd be suprised if social security even mattered at all at this point. Gen X was never going to get any of it anyway.

Har, har! Nice one, Kratos. I really like the "I did not check out the facts ..." Har, har!

Har, har! Nice one, Kratos. I really like the "I did not check out the facts ..." Har, har!

I probably should not have said that. They seem to be easy to research undebatable facts!

I will not **** and while my opening line may be a fail, the rest is what it is- facts!

takeyourfail.jpg

Kratos,

You must have only read the topic name. I don't think the Republicans really want to take away our SS anymore than the Dems but thought I'd throw a curve ball. And the next time I have an hour I will try to research the simple facts above for you. Otherwise consider it internet gospel. :lol:

I probably should not have said that. They seem to be easy to research undebatable facts!

I will not **** and while my opening line may be a fail, the rest is what it is- facts!

Facts? Hey, Google is your friend. You could have found out the bull**** of this dumb e-mail in five minutes.

Especially the last "fact" about SS for illegal immigrants. Here is the real fact:

No one — whether he be a citizen, immigrant, or illegal alien — is eligible to collect Social Security benefits unless he (or someone else, such as a parent or spouse) has paid into the system. Someone has confused Social Security itself with Supplemental Security Income (SSI) — the latter is a federal welfare program "designed to help aged, blind, and disabled people, who have little or no income" by providing "cash to meet basic needs for food, clothing, and shelter." Immigrants can qualify for SSI benefits under certain conditions, but SSI is financed by general revenues and not Social Security taxes. SSI was not enacted by the administration of President Jimmy Carter (a Democrat); it was created and signed into law in 1972, during the administration of President Richard Nixon (a Republican).

I did three more minutes of Googling and found out the truth behind more of the "facts" in the dumb e-mail quoted in the OP"

THE CORRECT ANSWERS TO THE FIVE QUESTIONS

Q1. Which political party took Social Security from the independent trust fund and put it into the general fund so that Congress could spend it?

A1: There has never been any change in the way the Social Security program is financed or the way that Social Security payroll taxes are used by the federal government. The Social Security Trust Fund was created in 1939 as part of the Amendments enacted in that year. From its inception, the Trust Fund has always worked the same way. The Social Security Trust Fund has never been "put into the general fund of the government."

Most likely this question comes from a confusion between the financing of the Social Security program and the way the Social Security Trust Fund is treated in federal budget accounting. Starting in 1969 (due to action by the Johnson Administration in 1968) the transactions to the Trust Fund were included in what is known as the "unified budget." This means that every function of the federal government is included in a single budget. This is sometimes described by saying that the Social Security Trust Funds are "on-budget." This budget treatment of the Social Security Trust Fund continued until 1990 when the Trust Funds were again taken "off-budget." This means only that they are shown as a separate account in the federal budget. But whether the Trust Funds are "on-budget" or "off-budget" is primarily a question of accounting practices--it has no effect on the actual operations of the Trust Fund itself.

Q2: Which political party eliminated the income tax deduction for Social Security (FICA) withholding?

A2: There was never any provision of law making the Social Security taxes paid by employees deductible for income tax purposes. In fact, the 1935 law expressly forbid this idea, in Section 803 of Title VIII.

(The text of Title VIII. can be found elsewhere on our website.)

Q3. Which political party started taxing Social Security annuities?

A3. The taxation of Social Security began in 1984 following passage of a set of Amendments in 1983, which were signed into law by President Reagan in April 1983. These amendments passed the Congress in 1983 on an overwhelmingly bi-partisan vote.

The basic rule put in place was that up to 50% of Social Security benefits could be added to taxable income, if the taxpayer's total income exceeded certain thresholds.

The taxation of benefits was a proposal which came from the Greenspan Commission appointed by President Reagan and chaired by Alan Greenspan (who went on to later become the Chairman of the Federal Reserve).

The full text of the Greenspan Commission report is available on our website.

President's Reagan's signing statement for the 1983 Amendments can also be found on our website.

A detailed explanation of the provisions of the 1983 law is also available on the website.

Q4. Which political party increased the taxes on Social Security annuities?

A4. In 1993, legislation was enacted which had the effect of increasing the tax put in place under the 1983 law. It raised from 50% to 85% the portion of Social Security benefits subject to taxation; but the increased percentage only applied to "higher income" beneficiaries. Beneficiaries of modest incomes might still be subject to the 50% rate, or to no taxation at all, depending on their overall taxable income.

This change in the tax rate was one provision in a massive Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act (OBRA) passed that year. The OBRA 1993 legislation was deadlocked in the Senate on a tie vote of 50-50 and Vice President Al Gore cast the deciding vote in favor of passage. President Clinton signed the bill into law on August 10, 1993.

(You can find a brief historical summary of the development of taxation of Social Security benefits on the Social Security website.)

Facts? Hey, Google is your friend. You could have found out the bull**** of this dumb e-mail in five minutes.

Especially the last "fact" about SS for illegal immigrants. Here is the real fact:

No one — whether he be a citizen, immigrant, or illegal alien — is eligible to collect Social Security benefits unless he (or someone else, such as a parent or spouse) has paid into the system. Someone has confused Social Security itself with Supplemental Security Income (SSI) — the latter is a federal welfare program "designed to help aged, blind, and disabled people, who have little or no income" by providing "cash to meet basic needs for food, clothing, and shelter." Immigrants can qualify for SSI benefits under certain conditions, but SSI is financed by general revenues and not Social Security taxes. SSI was not enacted by the administration of President Jimmy Carter (a Democrat); it was created and signed into law in 1972, during the administration of President Richard Nixon (a Republican).

Thanks, I deserve repeated floggings. Should've done my homework. :yes:

Edited by Rock Slinger

I believe this post to be satire of the conservatives saying that Democrats want to take things away from us.

It's showing conservatives how easily the tables can be turned on them in an instant.

Personaly I think people need to stop showing loyalty to any party. They ALL have it out for you, if it advances them.

Personaly I think people need to stop showing loyalty to any party. They ALL have it out for you, if it advances them.

And yet you've said you support the Tea Partiers.

this isn't true. my great aunt never paid into it and as far as i know her parents hadn't either. but she was on it most of her life or most of the time ssi was around. it is true that she only got the minimum but she still got a check, and they paid for most of her pills one of which had a cost of 1000 a pill.

Internet 101 here folks...if it is in a chain email it is almost always a gag

Internet 101 here folks...if it is in a chain email it is almost always a gag

No doubt. This does at least now serve as a prime example of how an email can be used to feed the uninformed base of a party that is too lazy to look things up. While I would never have forwarded this email without checking facts, I did post it to learn more about it. I regret not taking the 5 minutes on snopes or google it would have taken before I did made the post.

For the sake of the country everyone should always take the time to snope these things and reply to all with the facts. These things only polarize us instead of keeping us focused on what our real goal should be:

VOTE MOST INCUMBENTS OUT!!! regardless of party because they are two heads of the same snake. DC needs an enema before it is too late.

Edited by Rock Slinger