Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

I'm considering becoming a nun

SpiritWriter

So my daughter's almost grown and will be leaving for college in s little over a year. None of my boyfriends have ever worked out and I'm thinking maybe it was Gods way to get me to be all alone with him. I really want to be of service to the world and I'm undecided what to do. I'm not catholic but am thinking about becoming a nun. You get free room and board and get to spend your entire day contemplating the mysteries of God and this is actually my favorite past time... I dont know if the foods any good and I surely hope I can still enjoy the finer foods but I am willing to give up coffee and wine. I know nuns are really into helping with causes like at risk youth, homelessness and the like, and I could get into that...

I could spend my time writing and drawing and not have to worry about the traditional job.

I am also contemplating becoming an Anarchist activist... I would like to be helpful in a revolution against corporations and the media... which imo pretty much run america....

I think a nun would be a good representative for this cause as they usually take a vow of poverty and wouldn't have amassed all those fancy inticing gadgets made by the enemy slave masters.... it will take some getting used to for sure, especially the outfit. I wonder if I could pull it off. I just hope a prerequisit isnt virginity....

Any thoughts?

Edited by SpiritWriter
  • Like 4

I am also contemplating becoming an Anarchist activist... I would like to be helpful in a revolution against corporations and the media... which imo pretty much run america....

I think a nun would be a good representative for this cause...

Any thoughts?

Are you talking "Catholic nun"?

If so, your dichotomy won't be welcome there.

Nun's have no agenda other than what nun's do.

I'm pretty sure being Catholic is a prerequisite to becoming a nun. A life dedicated to studying God is a laudable goal, but if you're not Catholic then studying the Catholic God for the rest of your life seems a strange choice. But wherever your heart leads there you must follow :)

~ Regards,

Edited by Paranoid Android

Are you talking "Catholic nun"?

If so, your dichotomy won't be welcome there.

Nun's have no agenda other than what nun's do.

Why wouldn't nuns be into anarchy? I think they might...

Of course you have to do what you have to do but I would give it serious thought. That is going to be so different than anything you are use to like freedom to do what you want or protest what you want. From what I understand and I'm not catholic, nuns lead pretty controlled lives. You seem more like a free spirit to me.

So my daughter's almost grown and will be leaving for college in s little over a year. None of my boyfriends have ever worked out and I'm thinking maybe it was Gods way to get me to be all alone with him. I really want to be of service to the world and I'm undecided what to do. I'm not catholic but am thinking about becoming a nun. You get free room and board and get to spend your entire day contemplating the mysteries of God and this is actually my favorite past time... I dont know if the foods any good and I surely hope I can still enjoy the finer foods but I am willing to give up coffee and wine. I know nuns are really into helping with causes like at risk youth, homelessness and the like, and I could get into that...

Being catholic kinna helps the credibility along lol You mentioned about not finding a man.. Is that one of the main reasons you want to pack all in and become a nun? I was going to say - Join Harmony dating site lol Only kidding...

Joking aside.. I remember as a young girl, being taken into a convent with my class mates.. Sat down and given a lecture about how to be come a nun... The second I heard - You would have to completely dedicate your life to Jesus and the church, I thought - No not for me thanks ...But that's just me... If you are really into Christianity and you fancy the idea of becoming a nun.. Then you should go to a convent and speak to one of the sisters for help and advice...

Why don't you become a preacher.

• Like 1

Why wouldn't nuns be into anarchy? I think they might...

Well, maybe not anarchy, but definitely social change. Liberation theology was really big in Latin America But if you want to make waves, be aware that many priests, nuns, even bishops have been assassinated for their work.

Your title though; I'm not sure that's a good reason to run off and join a convent. It may sound romantic, but there will be drudgery involved.

Hope you don't like to sleep in, here's your prayer schedule, in between all your housekeeping work and kitchen duties.

• Matins (during the night, at midnight with some); also called Vigils or Nocturns or, in monastic usage, the Night Office
  • Lauds or Dawn Prayer (at Dawn, or 3 a.m.)
  • Prime or Early Morning Prayer (First Hour = approximately 6 a.m.)
  • Terce or Mid-Morning Prayer (Third Hour = approximately 9 a.m.)
  • Sext or Midday Prayer (Sixth Hour = approximately 12 noon)
  • None or Mid-Afternoon Prayer (Ninth Hour = approximately 3 p.m.)
  • Vespers or Evening Prayer ("at the lighting of the lamps", generally at 6 p.m.)
  • Compline or Night Prayer (before retiring, generally at 9 p.m.)

http://en.wikipedia....gy_of_the_Hours

Being catholic kinna helps the credibility along lol You mentioned about not finding a man.. Is that one of the main reasons you want to pack all in and become a nun? I was going to say - Join Harmony dating site lol Only kidding...

Joking aside.. I remember as a young girl, being taken into a convent with my class mates.. Sat down and given a lecture about how to be come a nun... The second I heard - You would have to completely dedicate your life to Jesus and the church, I thought - No not for me thanks ...But that's just me... If you are really into Christianity and you fancy the idea of becoming a nun.. Then you should go to a convent and speak to one of the sisters for help and advice...

Yeah maybe I will. Maybe they have a progra m where I can just stay there for awhile and stick to thier strict program long enough to get some discipline and see if it is for me.. maybe I just need the experience. Or maybe there are other programs like the convent that are not catholic that I would actually qualify for. I do think catholisism is mysterious and woukd like to learn some of their inner teachings. Raised with no belief and then converting to generic christianity never exposed me to this but I am not apposed to learning it. Hilander is right about my free spirit.. so maybe I should only do it for like three months until I figure out whst I really want to do. Im telling you though I might end up a nun.... if I do become a preacher like darkwind suggested im going to name my church: full emersion gospel church and it WILL NOT be ordinary teaching.... but before I start anything like that I will have to undergo a full emersion myself and perhaps this nun thing can help me with that......

Edited by SpiritWriter
  • Like 1

First, aren't nuns like Catholic bishops in that they have to be virgins? As I read you have a daughter seems like that might be a blocking thing...

other than that, you don't have to be a nun to dedicate your life to God. Heck, it might be that God wants you to be in a more free position than being a nun. Still, if you can stand the lifestyle then I can't see anything wrong with being a nun, just ask God where he wants you to be.

Edited by shadowx
  • Like 1

Ok, I'm a bit late to this, but here's my two cents worth based on my own life experience.

What you are experiencing is very simply put, "Empty Nest Syndrome". There is nothing wrong with it and it's perfectly normal. The kids are getting ready to head off to college and then on to whatever life holds for them and all the loving and caring is still there but now it's time to let them fly from the nest and make their own way. And now, there's this big whole in you because you've raised them for this time when they can fly, just as you did way back when and there was your mother watching you leave with a terrible ache in her heart and tear running down her cheek. And dare I say it, most likely feeling the very same as you do now. This is perfectly normal and to be honest.......and I have no reason not to be honest with you........now is your time. You've probably defined yourself by being a parent, mother, friend and all that that entails, but now it's time for them to fly or at least very close to time for them to fly and my dear lady you need to think of yourself as "YOU".

Who are you? What do you want to do now? What will make you happy? You're not a sill girl any more, you're a mature and able woman ready to take the next step in life.......just as your children or child is now ready to fly and take their next step so now you need to decide what your next step will be. A Nun? Seriously? There is nothing wrong with seeking that higher plane of self denial and service to others and to something larger than yourself. However, if you're leaning toward "anarchist activist" then maybe being a Nun isn't exactly what you're looking for since the two are in truth diametrically opposed to one another.

Now I don't know you well enough to offer you any advice on where you should look to find yourself or rather this new "YOU"......ok, not so much a new "YOU" as what the old "YOU" has become or is on the path of becoming. We all change, I'm not the same young man who joined the Marine Corps in order to avoid being drafted all those years ago. Sadly, I'm not the same man I was when I married my wife........even more sadly I never was the man my wife left. I've been in a state of flux now for some five years now and I have explored many different facets of myself and have learned from them. Where will it take me, I don't know. There are times I feel like Moses walking in the wilderness, sometime I feel like lost child in the woods and then at times I feel like I'm showing someone else how to find themselves. I've been a lover, poet, a writer, a cop, a Marine, and engineer, a student.......and now I'm a wanderer, looking for.........what? I don't know.

I don't know if this has helped or will help, but it's what I have to offer you in terms of counsel. It's counsel because it isn't really advice, advice is more specific. All I'm telling you is here's a compass, set a course for winds of fortune. Be happy, life life as if it was your last day, love with all your heart and without reservation, let go of pettiness, hatred and all the negative aspects that go with them and find the person you want to be........and make friends with her.

• Like 4

Pleeeease forgive the typos!

how can you possibly make typo's when most sites cheek yuor spilling for you with little red lines under the wurds, if you make won?

Edited by seeder
  • Like 1

how can you possibly make typo's when most sites cheek yuor spilling for you with little red lines under the wurds, if you make won?

Because im typing on a phone with a small screen and when I go back to edit its hard to navigate and starts swinging back and forth. I figure its better to leave the typos then it is to take 30 min to make a post. There are no red lines for me on this app.

Hi SW. Contemplating God, existence, life, and reality is pretty much what I do all day too (and being the greatest guitar player in my living room). For some reason I pictured you as being too young to have a grown child.

• Like 1

That reminds me of the story of the lady who became a nun in a Contemplative Order. Strict silence was enforced at all times except for once every five years when each nun would be permitted to make a single statement.

When Sister Mary's turn came, she was ushered into the presence of the Mother Superior who motioned her to speak. Sister Mary glowered sullenly, "My bed's hard!" she grumbled, and that was that. Back she went to her cell.

Five years later, the same scenario. "The food's rubbish." And back she went.

By the time another five years had passed, she'd had enough, and when she went in front of the Mother Superior for a third time, she shouted, "That's it, I've had enough - I resign!!!"

The Mother Superior clasped her hands and raised her eyes to Heaven, "Oh thank the Lord!" she said, "That damn' woman's been here fifteen years and all she's done is b****y moaned!"

• Like 2

:clap:

• Like 1

If it is a good choice, the right one, then your life will be freer, if it not a good choice, well it will be a prison. Also living with others on a daily basis, for a lifetime, is the real struggle with living in any community.

Peace

mark

Because im typing on a phone with a small screen and when I go back to edit its hard to navigate and starts swinging back and forth. I figure its better to leave the typos then it is to take 30 min to make a post. There are no red lines for me on this app.

sorry but I was actually taking the micky.. hence my on purpose terrible typo's !! :su

I could spend my time writing and drawing and not have to worry about the traditional job.

I think a nun would be a good representative for this cause as they usually take a vow of poverty and wouldn't have amassed all those fancy inticing gadgets made by the enemy slave masters.... it will take some getting used to for sure, especially the outfit. I wonder if I could pull it off. I just hope a prerequisit isnt virginity....

Any thoughts?

Somehow I dont see you as a Nun? Probably more an Activist.. But then again.. It's not my desision to make is it..

Any thoughts?

Just one thought from me and of course its light-hearted: In regards to becoming a nun, black does flatter one's figure. You wouldn't have to contend with 'wardrobe' stress... well actually okay okay, just one robe.

:whistle:

• Like 1

Yeah maybe anarchy is the wrong title. I want to fight against the one percent, bring commerce to small business, bring awareness about slave practices utilized by the large corporations, make aware the brain washing tactics performed by the media that have pretty much destroyed our youth "thier specific target audience" and help raise up community minded young leaders who will continue teaching leadership as apose to follow-ship, who aim to identify injustice and break away from the controlling system. I know that sounds like a large task and I am not the type to be overburdened... I will take naps.. but I just want to be apart of something that is working toward those goals. Maybe I can just write and distribute literature and sit in on a few organizing meetings? So I dont know what party I would claim but those are my interests.. and maybe I can go on a pilgramage instead of doing the nun thing. I will still look more into it though. I wouldn't want to have to call the priest father... and catholic mass always bored me I forgot about that part but I will still think about it further. :/

Edit: I really dont know why a nun wouldn't be interested in these things.... I think they would! Like saint Teresa I think she would fight for causes like these...

Edited by SpiritWriter
  • Like 2

Hi SW. Contemplating God, existence, life, and reality is pretty much what I do all day too (and being the greatest guitar player in my living room). For some reason I pictured you as being too young to have a grown child.

Im light hearted as well as a late bloomer I believe....

SpiritWriter,

With honesty, I do express to you that what you have stated that you are going through, I would like for you to know that you are not alone in this feeling. Especially regarding your statement of: '...but I just want to be apart of something that is working toward these goals.'

I totally get you there!

• Like 1

Im light hearted as well as a late bloomer I believe....

I would invite you for a drink but I'm terribly deformed.

This is me

quasimodo.jpg