Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

What is this beast?

• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

#31    Skeptic Chicken

Skeptic Chicken

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 651 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 01:39 PM

Wyrvern?

My User Name is a loving memory of how much I want to know about the worlds secrets, that I forgot to look up the definition of "skeptical" before I made my account.

#32    orangepeaceful79

orangepeaceful79

Poltergeist

• Closed
  • 2,461 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 02:00 PM

My thought is that the OP drew something *totally wicked cool* and wanted to post it here so he/she/it could read cryptos telling him how *totally wicked cool* it was and basically get his/her/it's ego stroked.  Or maybe sunnyblues created an alternate account so he could pop up and offer his theory on what it is.  Who knows?

#33    Nighter

Nighter

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 01:35 PM

If you really want to know the backstory then I'll mention it even though it doesn't change the content I originally posted or give any extra flesh to it considering there's nothing but my word to go by (which I wouldn't expect anyone to take into account seriously.)

I posted this because a number of rural residents from a former property I was living at were all dreaming of the same creature at the same times (including myself) over the period of four months. The dreams involved watching said creature as though it was in the vicinity of each individuals land with full awareness of it being a dream.

During that time attacks began occurring on wildlife and livestock in the area that couldn't be explained via the usual predators of the area (foxes, feral dogs or cats, wedge tailed eagles or people.) The attacks stopped the night the reoccurring dreams ended.

I found it odd and no one ever found a logical explanation that actually fit the circumstances, so years later I've gotten the courage to ask around about it to see if I can connect any legends or mythology to the experience (not to say that it couldn't all be some freak coincidence.)

I still find the entire thing to be a bit disturbing, hence the lack of a backstory.

#34    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 20,710 posts

• Hey, I'm not wrong. I'm just not completely right.

Posted 16 September 2012 - 08:36 PM

The first thing that comes to mind is a griffon. But calling it a dragon also would be a good description.

Also reminds me of the piasa bird...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piasa
Posted Image

Or maybe a manticore. I don't think the historic manitcore has wings, but the D&D one does...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manticore

Edit: also some descriptions of the Chupacabra fit your drawing.

Edited by DieChecker, 16 September 2012 - 08:39 PM.

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

#35    Ugly1

Ugly1

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 571 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 08:39 PM

View PostZeta Reticulum, on 14 September 2012 - 08:39 AM, said:

Swamp gas

lol

#36    Abramelin

Abramelin

-

• 18,125 posts
  • Location:"Here the tide is ruled, by the wind, the moon and us."

• God created the world, but the Dutch created the Netherlands

Posted 16 September 2012 - 09:38 PM

View PostUgly1, on 16 September 2012 - 08:39 PM, said:

lol

That's Zeta Ridiculi's second name.

S/he doesn't post anything else.

#37    TigressFlameroseX39

TigressFlameroseX39

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 20 posts

• People who say anything's possible haven't tried to slam a revolving door.

Posted 16 September 2012 - 11:46 PM

Is this something you drew for a story/comic book you're working on? Or is this one of those hypothetical-game questions like "if spiders had a favorite soda what would it be?"--ridiculous example, of course but you get the idea. In either case, with the draconic features combined with feathers, I would classify it as a reptilian animal cerca the late Jurassic period (that's for THIS world), if it is for an alternate realm, I would say a close relative of the dragon, perhaps a hypothetical title for the species could be draconem (Latin, "huge serpent, dragon") rapere (Latin, "to sieze/take by force", refers to birds of prey)?

Edited by TigressFlameroseX39, 16 September 2012 - 11:46 PM.

#38    Nighter

Nighter

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 01:12 AM

Ok so we have suggestions such as

- Griffin/Gryphon
- Dragon (japanese spirit variety or a relation of)
- Chupacabra
- some kind of hybrid mix (lizard-bird)
- insect (due to 6 limbs.)
- wyvern
- manticore
- piasa bird
- prehistoric reptile (late jurassic)

That's far more than I expected, so thanks.
I haven't even heard of a few of these, so I'm glad I attempted to make this thread.
I'll see if any of these directly relate to dreams, since that might narrow down the search too.

#39    notoverrated

notoverrated

O.O

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,244 posts

• courage > scooby

Posted 17 September 2012 - 01:25 AM

View PostNighter, on 16 September 2012 - 01:35 PM, said:

If you really want to know the backstory then I'll mention it even though it doesn't change the content I originally posted or give any extra flesh to it considering there's nothing but my word to go by (which I wouldn't expect anyone to take into account seriously.)

I posted this because a number of rural residents from a former property I was living at were all dreaming of the same creature at the same times (including myself) over the period of four months. The dreams involved watching said creature as though it was in the vicinity of each individuals land with full awareness of it being a dream.

During that time attacks began occurring on wildlife and livestock in the area that couldn't be explained via the usual predators of the area (foxes, feral dogs or cats, wedge tailed eagles or people.) The attacks stopped the night the reoccurring dreams ended.

I found it odd and no one ever found a logical explanation that actually fit the circumstances, so years later I've gotten the courage to ask around about it to see if I can connect any legends or mythology to the experience (not to say that it couldn't all be some freak coincidence.)

I still find the entire thing to be a bit disturbing, hence the lack of a backstory.
there we go, and i have no idea wat it is i guess it fits wat a dragon could be considered to look like.

If your not after beauty, then why are you even drawing breath?

#40    TigressFlameroseX39

TigressFlameroseX39

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 20 posts

• People who say anything's possible haven't tried to slam a revolving door.

Posted 17 September 2012 - 03:20 AM

Okay, I posted before I saw the backstory. Well, in the case of dreams there are way too many symbolic possibilities to list here with regards to dragons and dragon-like creatures, but you might consider the so-called Red Dragon (The Revelation 12:3), which was in fact Satan in disguise. I suggest researching demons or satanic symbolism in relation to dreams, if you think there might be something to this. Just be careful with what you type in as the search key, as I've encountered several sites relating to such topics that were riddled with computer viruses. Or better yet, try Google Scholar instead of Google Search. That could yield safer and better researched results.
Hope this helps.

#41    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 20,710 posts

• Hey, I'm not wrong. I'm just not completely right.

Posted 17 September 2012 - 04:00 AM

I don't think seeing it in a dream would mean that it was created (physically) by that dream. It might simply be a natural prophetic ability that was expressed about something that was heard being talked about. It could be that the dreamed creature was simply an expression of what the dream was really about. Who/whatever was causing the problems would have been expressed in the dream as the creature, rather then as the person or animal it really was. Maybe it was a rabid dog, which had become so sick it was crazed and just killing till it died. Maybe it was a crazy person, who's self image was as a monster. Lots of ways to explain what happened.

Edited by DieChecker, 17 September 2012 - 04:03 AM.

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

#42    Sakari

Sakari

Rob Lester

• 13,106 posts
  • Location:Safford, Arizona...My heart and soul are still on the Oregon Coast.

• Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Posted 17 September 2012 - 04:23 AM

photo shop

Our Wolf's Memorial Page

http://petsupports.com/a04/sakari.htm

#43    DKO

DKO

Ω is Futile.

• 1,837 posts

• When you hear hoofbeats behind you, don't expect to see a zebra - Unless you're in Africa...

Posted 17 September 2012 - 04:34 AM

What point are you trying to make? That there is a creature like this roaming around your town?

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe it. - Neil DeGrasse Tyson

Confucius Says:

Man who runs behind car gets exhausted.

Man who wants pretty nurse must be patient.

#44    DKO

DKO

Ω is Futile.

• 1,837 posts

• When you hear hoofbeats behind you, don't expect to see a zebra - Unless you're in Africa...

Posted 17 September 2012 - 04:42 AM

OK my turn.

With the drawing and description I'm about to give, if you had to categorize this what could it be (or be related to)?

Primarily a quadruped, but can move on two legs as well. Roughly 2-3 feet long and anywhere between 1 and 2 feet tall when on all fours. Not capable of true flight and uses growls for threat displays. External ears that can be folded into ridges in skull, hide is covered in fur. Has fur-like covering on chest and skull. Featherless spines and 'fur' can be raised on upper body when threatened. Very wide vocal range, good at sound mimicry. Has serrated teeth, three eyelids (two close sideways, outer eyelid reflective black) a hairy tail.
Known to be carnivorous.
Coloring - unknown (most likely black fur.)

Posted Image

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe it. - Neil DeGrasse Tyson

Confucius Says:

Man who runs behind car gets exhausted.

Man who wants pretty nurse must be patient.

#45    orangepeaceful79

orangepeaceful79

Poltergeist

• Closed
  • 2,461 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 04:44 AM

View PostDKO, on 17 September 2012 - 04:42 AM, said:

OK my turn.

With the drawing and description I'm about to give, if you had to categorize this what could it be (or be related to)?

Primarily a quadruped, but can move on two legs as well. Roughly 2-3 feet long and anywhere between 1 and 2 feet tall when on all fours. Not capable of true flight and uses growls for threat displays. External ears that can be folded into ridges in skull, hide is covered in fur. Has fur-like covering on chest and skull. Featherless spines and 'fur' can be raised on upper body when threatened. Very wide vocal range, good at sound mimicry. Has serrated teeth, three eyelids (two close sideways, outer eyelid reflective black) a hairy tail.
Known to be carnivorous.
Coloring - unknown (most likely black fur.)

Posted Image

I say - is that the Jersey Devil?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users