Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Tory candidate suggests mentally ill should..

George Ford

http://metro.co.uk/2015/04/14/tory-candidate-suggests-mentally-ill-people-should-wear-wristbands-5149798/

"A Conservative parliamentary candidate has apparently suggested that mental health patients should wear wristbands to identify their conditions." ~ quote from the above article.

‘I can think of another period of history where minorities were asked to identify themselves,’ wrote Timothy Sykes on Twitter.

‘How about a yellow star or pink triangle on their clothes…’ added Simon Brown.

The Tory idiot who made these comments clearly did not think things through, which at her level of the game is not acceptable.

People with a diagnosed mental illness in this country (UK) have their details on a medical database along with everyone else who has visited a doctor. If at some point a different doctor needs these details he has full access to them. Suggesting people wear a band is just really dumb. If Ms. Fernando's suggestion is that it makes it easier for a Dr to treat someone because of a colour band system then that would be wrong as the Dr would have to assume the band had been removed and replaced by the patient or may be out of date etc..

If it is so that teachers and other professionals like dentists or police can recognise someone that is mentally ill then this idiot Tory is still utterly ignorant. Why would the police treat someone with a mental condition different than anyone else? The police would, for example, I hope treat every situation individually. If someone is saying they are going to commit suicide does it make any difference what coloured band they have on?

• Like 2

I thought they already wore them.

Sorry... just been told that the bracelets I was thinking of are fashion accessories.

Edited by Eldorado

Ok,

after looking at this again, I think what she may possibly have meant is that some people with non-verbal communication autism should wear a colour band so people would know why that individual is not talking. Which again is dumb, people with non-verbal communication autism are normally in the care of someone that can talk for them and help look after them. If they visit anyone like therapists, doctors, zoos, restaurants etc they are normally accompanied by the career who can explain any special needs and everything is fine. It has been for years.

I think this Tory has a limited amount of time left in her party.

I thought they already wore them.

Not that I know of. The only Autism bands I'm aware of are the ones people get when they donate money to help with Autism related research and show their support. Same as the red AIDS badge thing and the pink ribbon for Cancer support.

Ok,

after looking at this again, I think what she may possibly have meant is that some people with non-verbal communication autism should wear a colour band so people would know why that individual is not talking. Which again is dumb, people with non-verbal communication autism are normally in the care of someone that can talk for them and help look after them. If they visit anyone like therapists, doctors, zoos, restaurants etc they are normally accompanied by the career who can explain any special needs and everything is fine. It has been for years.

I think you just wanted a reason to bash a Tory.

That would be awesome! It would great to look down and see Narcissistic Personality Disorder or Compulsive Liar written on someones wrist. High School would have been so much easier.

• Like 3

I think you just wanted a reason to bash a Tory.

And that is bad how exactly?

• Like 1

Ok, but still completely a stupid idea. Let's say they make people with Autism wear a yellow band with 'This person has Asperger's Syndrome' written on it. So what. There are so many levels of it the 'professional' would still need to look at each individuals history and medical record and speak to family members.

When I had a run in with the police in the past, I just told them I was Bi-polar and things were 'a bit crazy', they just acted very calm and cool about the situation and just kept talking to me until the situation was resolved without me getting arrested and without anyone getting hurt. (Plus I was drunk and on meds). They would have been perfectly within their rights to pepper spray me, handcuff me and cart me off to jail cell, bi-polar or not my actions were not really acceptable.

They handled the situation, I think, on how things played out at the time and their own training. Whether they took my illness into consideration I've no idea, they had no proof as such, but diffused the whole thing peacefully. In fact they could not have been nicer. I honestly doubt wearing a coloured band would have made any difference.

Plus, I just thought of this, it's totally open to abuse. Take students for example. I bet there would be something called 'Lets get Mental night' where they all go out to get utterly drunk and have bands on in-case they are arrested to either try and not get arrested for drunk and disorderly or just as a joke. So then the police would have to utterly disregard any coloured band anyone was wearing.

So it would not work.

• Like 1

Personally i love it I will get a " Doesn't understand others have emotions" wrist band for myself. Really it would be a help if i could read whats wrong with you guys before interacting.

The only one I reall support is the wristband that says "I voted UKIP".

The English hide their emotions so well.

Indeed, why wear it on your sleeve, when you can just write it?

That would be awesome! It would great to look down and see Narcissistic Personality Disorder or Compulsive Liar written on someones wrist. High School would have been so much easier.

You'd know who not to hire as well. Not unless you want your workplace to go toxic.

Ok, but still completely a stupid idea. Let's say they make people with Autism wear a yellow band with 'This person has Asperger's Syndrome' written on it. So what. There are so many levels of it the 'professional' would still need to look at each individuals history and medical record and speak to family members.

When I had a run in with the police in the past, I just told them I was Bi-polar and things were 'a bit crazy', they just acted very calm and cool about the situation and just kept talking to me until the situation was resolved without me getting arrested and without anyone getting hurt. (Plus I was drunk and on meds). They would have been perfectly within their rights to pepper spray me, handcuff me and cart me off to jail cell, bi-polar or not my actions were not really acceptable.

They handled the situation, I think, on how things played out at the time and their own training. Whether they took my illness into consideration I've no idea, they had no proof as such, but diffused the whole thing peacefully. In fact they could not have been nicer. I honestly doubt wearing a coloured band would have made any difference.

Plus, I just thought of this, it's totally open to abuse. Take students for example. I bet there would be something called 'Lets get Mental night' where they all go out to get utterly drunk and have bands on in-case they are arrested to either try and not get arrested for drunk and disorderly or just as a joke. So then the police would have to utterly disregard any coloured band anyone was wearing.

So it would not work.

I don't believe in autism. In my life I've worked around several people who have admitted to having it and I'm convinced its a lifestyle choice. They are choosing not to relate to other people correctly and to not read other people correctly. At least they are by the time they reach adulthood.

I don't believe in autism. In my life I've worked around several people who have admitted to having it and I'm convinced its a lifestyle choice. They are choosing not to relate to other people correctly and to not read other people correctly. At least they are by the time they reach adulthood.

There is nothing "incorrect" about genetic diversity.