Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Mystery over dozens of dead sea creatures

Still Waters

Nearly 100 dead sea creatures and birds have washed up on a Peruvian coastline and experts are trying to work out the mystery surrounding their deaths.

Sky News reports that 18 sea turtles, 22 sea lions, 16 angular roughsharks, eight dolphins and 22 marine birds were found during an inspection by government officials.

http://travel.aol.co...washed-up-peru/

These events break my heart and the lack of follow up and satisfactory explanation is starting to grate on my nerves.

News reports like this always sadden me, Possible causes, include viruses, poisoned food sources or offshore oil exploration.

Why do we do this, I may be jumping the gun here but you can bet humans are behnd this. we continually abuse our position here on earth, we are supposed to share this planet not take over it. "where is the, makes me feel sick smiley"

There is an old piece of Native American wisdom: "Only After the last tree has been cut down, Only after the last river has been poisoned, Only after the last fish has been caught, Only then will you find that money cannot be eaten."

• Like 4

wait for it........

We need a plague.

Edited by Sakari
  • Like 3

wait for it........

We need a plague.

We do indeed my friend, a human culling plague... But how and who do we choose who it effects?

We do indeed my friend, a human culling plague... But how and who do we choose who it effects?

We do not choose, let it happen, and let God / fate / luck sort them / us out.

Edited by Sakari

wait for it........

We need a plague.

Because 100 dead animals aren't enough.
  • Like 2

News reports like this always sadden me, Possible causes, include viruses, poisoned food sources or offshore oil exploration.

Why do we do this, I may be jumping the gun here but you can bet humans are behnd this. we continually abuse our position here on earth, we are supposed to share this planet not take over it. "where is the, makes me feel sick smiley"

There is an old piece of Native American wisdom: "Only After the last tree has been cut down, Only after the last river has been poisoned, Only after the last fish has been caught, Only then will you find that money cannot be eaten."

You took the words right out of my mouth,

I totally agree with you,

There are high chances that we humans are behind these things but most probably researchers may try to cover up if they get pressured by the big corporations.

Edited by Twinkle Arora is back

The coast of Peru is part of the Ring of Fire, a volcanic area that surrounds the Pacific Ocean. There have been rare instances around volcanic lakes where vast amounts of carbon dioxide (which is heavier than air) have been released from volcanic activity deep under the lakes. The invisible, odorless, heavy gas spreads out from the lake surface and across the land suffocating everything in its path. While I am unaware of such a thing happening over the sea, most of the creatures listed are air breathers and on a calm day with little wind the scenario could play out over the ocean. The sea-lions, dolphins and turtles would be unable to breathe upon surfacing, and birds with their high metabolism would be quickly overcome if near the surface. The sharks too might be overcome if the water is saturated with CO2.

Of course there is always the possibility of pollution, toxic waste, even dead animals released as by-catch from fishing fleets. Necropsy may give the answer.

• Like 4

We do not choose, let it happen, and let God / fate / luck sort them / us out.

All the idiots will all go blame God again and we'll see endless posts about it, regardless of scientific evidence being widely available.

Edited by WoIverine

The coast of Peru is part of the Ring of Fire, a volcanic area that surrounds the Pacific Ocean. There have been rare instances around volcanic lakes where vast amounts of carbon dioxide (which is heavier than air) have been released from volcanic activity deep under the lakes. The invisible, odorless, heavy gas spreads out from the lake surface and across the land suffocating everything in its path. While I am unaware of such a thing happening over the sea, most of the creatures listed are air breathers and on a calm day with little wind the scenario could play out over the ocean. The sea-lions, dolphins and turtles would be unable to breathe upon surfacing, and birds with their high metabolism would be quickly overcome if near the surface. The sharks too might be overcome if the water is saturated with CO2.

Of course there is always the possibility of pollution, toxic waste, even dead animals released as by-catch from fishing fleets. Necropsy may give the answer.

Stop being logical and making educated guesses, you are interrupting the perpetually angry human species haters. They pray for a plague to kill half the human race but won't take the first step and take themselves out. Hypocrites. :yes:

• Like 3

last year there was 1000's washed up on Peruvian coastlines....and we never did hear what caused it...just speculation...

Edited by harleyblueswoman

I also believe this mystery may involve the area itself: The Ring of Fire. So many earthquakes of the coast of South America, with many undersea volcanoes. Perhaps toxic gasses from these 'perpetual' events caused some sort of poisoning for these poor creatures. Not all are air breathers. I hadn't heard of the larger event like this in the same area last year(which I gotta check out). Emissions from deep undersea eathquakes could release gasseous substances that could be the cause. I wonder how many dead creatures never made it to shore- just lying on the bottom of the ocean.....

• Like 1

Ah Great not this again. Didn't we have a bunch of fish or something fall out of the sky in 2011 or something?

Stop being logical and making educated guesses, you are interrupting the perpetually angry human species haters. They pray for a plague to kill half the human race but won't take the first step and take themselves out. Hypocrites. :yes:

Hypocricy is fine, when you can say "yeah I'm like that". :) So yeah. I wouldn't hope for a plague, just a rebellion... it'd do some good to change the ways we make our living, it's not too sensible these days even if it could be very much so. Plague would just be another delay in making us more sensible. When enough people realise the folly that's there, and when it gets deep enough into the back of their heads.. maybe then. Maybe war, maybe peaceful change. But mark my words, things wont always be the same. People want a clean conscience and a good life, and they can't get both if they have to work for a polluting corporation to make a living. Real changes dont happen simply by snapping your fingers, but by taking a hard step no matter how many people say you cant do it.

Ha ha, yes I have always wondered why so many want to "thin the herd" but won't volunteer to be the first to go!

• Like 2

I also believe this mystery may involve the area itself: The Ring of Fire. So many earthquakes of the coast of South America, with many undersea volcanoes. Perhaps toxic gasses from these 'perpetual' events caused some sort of poisoning for these poor creatures. Not all are air breathers. I hadn't heard of the larger event like this in the same area last year(which I gotta check out). Emissions from deep undersea eathquakes could release gasseous substances that could be the cause. I wonder how many dead creatures never made it to shore- just lying on the bottom of the ocean.....

I was thinking further about this and there are the regular El Nino and La Nina (sorry, can't find the correct letter for Nino and Nina) cycles off the coast of Peru. When the sea surface water changes temperature the upwelling of nutrient rich waters from the deep ocean is temporarily halted and this starts a cycle of starvation: no nutrients - no plankton, no plankton - no fish, no fish - no sharks, sea lions, dolphins and so forth. Of course these larger animals are very mobile, but if the food supply is destroyed over thousands of miles it may not make a difference. This event occurs on a regular basis however, so scientist should be aware if these events are related to the animal deaths.

Ha ha, yes I have always wondered why so many want to "thin the herd" but won't volunteer to be the first to go!

'A cull needs to be properly supervised!' -- Supervisor Eldorado

'A cull needs to be properly supervised!' -- Supervisor Eldorado

Better consider what happens if you run afoul of the supervisor.

Nice icon, BTW, one of my favorite actors and The Outlaw Josey Wales was a great movie! (Personal favorite was High Plains Drifter!)

• Like 1