Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Does God need Praise

AbyssWalker

Why do people praise god? I understand the prayers, I understand wanting god to listen to your prayers, I understand wanting god to help you out.

But why do people praise god? Because he gave us life and everything we have and it is our duty to acknowledge his existence and be thankful for it? Do you really think god wants to hear peoples' praises, all these songs in praise of god? Do you think they matter? Does god want praises sung in his honor? If god likes being praised, would that make him a little imperfect perhaps? After all, he must like stroking his ego a little?

As for praising god because he gave us everything, sure, I have it fine, so do you, we have problems too, all of us do, but what about those who're crippled from birth or have never known what it means to have sight? You could say it's not god fault, but it's not always our fault either, I know a blind person, and what kind of sin could his parents have committed for him to never know what his mother looks like?

Why should someone praise god? Because THEY have it ok and god gave them everything they have? can you still praise god knowing and fully aware of what's happening all around you?

Is god not so perfect perhaps, and he can only help those he can, and leaves the rest to suffer. I understand that not all of you go out of your way to praise god or jesus, and think that he doesn't really need any praises or acknowledgement.

Does god even need you to believe him, by the way? Isn't helping other people, and making life better for others more important than believing him or singing songs in his praise and showing your devotion to him? Does god care if you believe in him, because there are far greater things you could do than just believing in him.

I DO NOT want to start an argument about whether or not god really exists, by the way, I spent 2 hours listening to hundreds of people singing songs of praise, praising god to no end, fully aware of what's going on all around us. It just doesn't seem right to me.

If you think god gave YOU and YOUR loved ones everything and listens to you, he still lets OTHER people suffer, and I suddenly don't feel god is as great as everyone thinks after all, he is imperfect, perhaps and flawed.

Edited by Crow T. Sharkbot
  • Like 1

He does not need praise as such. I think he is happy enough seeing people do good deeds.

He does not need praise as such. I think he is happy enough seeing people do good deeds.

but why is that most people say 'praise god' or 'surrender unto him'

Does he really need people to believe in him? does belief even matter?

I had a Catholic tell me that we exist for the sole purpose of praising God, and there is one thing that God loves more than us, himself.

Edited by Rlyeh
  • Like 3

He demands it.

Why? Cos he's man-made and for man, power is king. Obey me... or I will do you in. And your entire family.

Edited by Eldorado
  • Like 4

I don't much get into"praise" as such - like singing and exalting and waving hands in the air. I thank my Creator for the blessings - and the trials. The good and the bad of my existence because I believe he wants me to learn from it all and prepare me for the next stage of this evolution we know as life. The nihilist believes that life has no meaning and when it's over we return to an unknowing state. I just can't seem to get to that belief.

• Like 2

Seems to me your question isn't does he need praise, maybe it is does he deserve praise. Everybody seems to have to find blame for every misfortune. "Why me God." Does everything that happens good or bad have to have a reason. Sometime things happen and there really isn't a reason. Either you are in the wrong place or the right place. If you step in front of a bus, did God push you or was it your own dumb luck.

Seems to me your question isn't does he need praise, maybe it is does he deserve praise. Everybody seems to have to find blame for every misfortune. "Why me God." Does everything that happens good or bad have to have a reason. Sometime things happen and there really isn't a reason. Either you are in the wrong place or the right place. If you step in front of a bus, did God push you or was it your own dumb luck.

It's not why me god at all.

The problem with people is they think only about themselves,

Who is to blame for my friend being 'blind from birth' ? Tell me, should we blame him for what he did in his mom's womb?

Sure, maybe it was dumb luck, but that's not a great way of putting it.

I don't much get into"praise" as such - like singing and exalting and waving hands in the air. I thank my Creator for the blessings - and the trials. The good and the bad of my existence because I believe he wants me to learn from it all and prepare me for the next stage of this evolution we know as life. The nihilist believes that life has no meaning and when it's over we return to an unknowing state. I just can't seem to get to that belief.

'and then', It is good that you learn from the good and the bad, I respect you.

but when you put yourself in the shoes of someone who is really unfortunate..... like the many we see around us, what can they possibly learn from their trials and tribulations? There are people I know who cannot even dress themselves, and they are 40 years old, they have severe mental illnesses, what can they learn from anything life has to offer? It's a hard question, I don't think there is an answer,

but wouldn't some doubt creep into any believer's mind that god could have something to do with it? Why put him on the pedestal all the time, love him sure, admire him, but why is he immune to criticism, he must makes surely.

He demands it.

Why? Cos he's man-made and for man, power is king. Obey me... or I will do you in. And your entire family.

I don't believe in god, but I do want to know a believer's point of you,

why waste energy praising god, when you can use it to do god's work or the work god intended you to do?

It seems to me that many people have it all wrong, 'surrender unto god', sure they believe in god, but for all the wrong reasons.

I don't believe in god, but I do want to know a believer's point of you,

why waste energy praising god, when you can use it to do god's work or the work god intended you to do?

It seems to me that many people have it all wrong, 'surrender unto god', sure they believe in god, but for all the wrong reasons.

Here is one believer's point of view.

We give Him praise because it is a way of saying "thank you" to Him. Conversely, it also provides a spiritual high for us. As for wasting energy, the act of praise recharges our spirit to continue on in His work.

Does the idea of praise and worship sound out of place in our modern world? Think about football. America worships it; it is a god in itself. We build huge temples in which to worship them. In fact, most educational institutions have one on their campus. We give millions of dollars to the athletes who play the game. We gather together to shout chants to them. It even changes the lives of those who don't play the game; just ask any football widow.

Perhaps humans have an innate need to express appreciation to something.

Here is one believer's point of view.

We give Him praise because it is a way of saying "thank you" to Him. Conversely, it also provides a spiritual high for us. As for wasting energy, the act of praise recharges our spirit to continue on in His work.

Does the idea of praise and worship sound out of place in our modern world? Think about football. America worships it; it is a god in itself. We build huge temples in which to worship them. In fact, most educational institutions have one on their campus. We give millions of dollars to the athletes who play the game. We gather together to shout chants to them. It even changes the lives of those who don't play the game; just ask any football widow.

Perhaps humans have an innate need to express appreciation to something.

"Us", "We" as in, me and the four or five people I call family?

Do you say thank you for the good he does to you and your family? or do we only thank him for all the good in the world and just not bring bad into the equation at all. As others have said, just dismiss others' fortunes as 'bad luck' or 'you jumped in front a bus, you deserve to get hurt, why blame god'?

Cause hey, as long as me and my family's fine, praise the hell out of him. Only see the good he did to me.

Or perhaps as you said, we praise him, because we have to innate need to praise someone, and it's a way for us to keep going, while ignoring what's happening all around us. Perhaps not in our immediate neighborhood, but the world.

Note : don't think this post is directed at anyone, I'm just speaking for people I've seen in my life, nobody in particular.

God "needs" nothing being the most complete and the only self-existent Being in existence. That said, He through an act of will, decided to bring about the universe and its inhabitants ex nihilo (out of nothing; a pure act of will), perhaps because of His creative nature, His desire to give and receive love, or for reasons we as finite beings cannot understand. If one believes in God and looks at the universe in all its complexity from the sub-atomic to the clusters of galaxies, to energy, matter and of course life and living things it would seem He deserves praise.

"Us", "We" as in, me and the four or five people I call family?

...as in myself, hundreds of people with whom I've interacted, and thousands of others with whom I have worshiped.

Do you say thank you for the good he does to you and your family? or do we only thank him for all the good in the world and just not bring bad into the equation at all. As others have said, just dismiss others' fortunes as 'bad luck' or 'you jumped in front a bus, you deserve to get hurt, why blame god'?

Cause hey, as long as me and my family's fine, praise the hell out of him. Only see the good he did to me.

The existence of evil has already been debated on UM. I have had some disastrous experiences, but I never stopped praising Him.

...as in myself, hundreds of people with whom I've interacted, and thousands of others with whom I have worshiped.

You get to choose who you interact with, and there are many that you won't go out of your way to interact with.... neither will I, I admit.

You know the millions who are suffering too. I'm not against you worshipping or praising god my friend, I just want to know.

The existence of evil has already been debated on UM. I have had some disastrous experiences, but I never stopped praising Him.

You can praise god, there are many who cannot, they don't even know god, nor they can learn about god. They are the unfortunate ones, and if god is responsible for the good happening to people, what about those people?

Should we only praise him? is he impervious to criticism, because 'it's the way it is'?

Maybe god created this world, but it was a huge oversight, and he cannot care for it anymore.

God "needs" nothing being the most complete and the only self-existent Being in existence. That said, He through an act of will, decided to bring about the universe and its inhabitants ex nihilo (out of nothing; a pure act of will), perhaps because of His creative nature, His desire to give and receive love, or for reasons we as finite beings cannot understand. If one believes in God and looks at the universe in all its complexity from the sub-atomic to the clusters of galaxies, to energy, matter and of course life and living things it would seem He deserves praise.

Maybe he made this world with neat ideas, and he lost control a long time ago, and is completely helpless, he created a monster for which he is responsible. I know there is good in this world, and people will tell me there has to be bad for their to be good, but I hear this from people who have it pretty good.

Does a doctor give thanks for disease? I wouldn't think so. However, they do dedicate their lives to treating those affected by disease. They learn about new medicines, and study new concepts, so that they can complete their task in the best possible way.

Does a doctor give thanks for disease? I wouldn't think so. However, they do dedicate their lives to treating those affected by disease. They learn about new medicines, and study new concepts, so that they can complete their task in the best possible way.

I may not be getting you here, but I thought god is above any and all doctors, if he's worth praising. Doctors do a lot more than god, in my opinion, he pales in comparison. The kind of risks doctors take to care for people in times of disease, is really something.

What I really want to know is, are there people who are ready to admit that god makes mistakes too and some of it is his fault? The bad that goes on in this world? I'm not talking about a person murdering another person, as that can happen because god has given them free will. But what about people with birth defects and such?

If god gives you trials and tribulations in life, he's certainly not fair, because sometimes these trials can be insurmountable for some people, I don't want to keep repeating the same things again and again, but why are people around us so ignored? These are hard questions that people just don't want to answer.

And I'm not talking about people around us that broke up with their girlfriend or lost a job, I'm talking about people who don't even have a chance, they're ill from birth, they're crippled from birth, they don't have a chance, they have to fight incredible odds, they can't talk, they can't think, they can't take care of themselves. Having a normal life is almost impossible, sure you could say "Everyone has challenges, it's just god's way of testing out your faith", but have you tried putting yourself in their shoes? Sure you've had your challenges and came out unscathed and stronger, but what about other people who have it much worse?

I'm sitting in front of my computer screen typing all this, I admit I'm fortunate as hell, just to be able to talk to you, it's not something I can take for granted. and I can't forget there are many who'd live the life I'm living, sure I have it bad sometimes, and I have problems, but I can admit that it's nothing compared to what other people have.

And why does god only come into picture when we talk about good? and not the bad? Why is god put on a pedestal all the time?

I can't keep up today, I'm going offline. I'll be back tomorrow.

My intentions behind the thread were to find answers to questions that intrigue me for the right or wrong reasons.

If you stopped praising god, would it make a difference, since he already knows you're truly devoted to him?

If god does good to some people, while other people clearly get horribly ignored (they pray and praise too), does it make him worthy of praise?

You see a bed-ridden youth crippled since birth, would you look at him and say "This is just god's trials for you son, if you pass this test, and keep your faith in god, you'll be greatly rewarded some day, or maybe next life, we all have trials" or would you accept that god is perhaps a little unfair and admit that god is a little less godly because of it.... perhaps? or maybe a little imperfect and capable of mistakes?

If god didn't care for your praises, would you still praise god knowing that it only lifts your spirits up and is falling on deaf ears? Because, I don't see god as someone who wants 'praise'.

You may or may not thank and love your parents depending on how good they were to you I suppose. It is selfish isn't it? To expect to have a good life.

I think a lot of theists either praise god for what they have out of gratitude or praise him because they believe he will eventually relieve their suffering. Either way it serves a solid function in the human condition. I prefer to thank god for what I have and ask god to strengthen me towards being better, but if I were in a state of suffering I'm sure I would look to god for relief. Some want to blame god for suffering, and I understand why, but in my experience 90% of suffering is self induced. The other 10% is circumstantial or induced by someone else. I always though human beings are childish and selfish. They will chastise a supreme being about the suffering of the world meanwhile sipping on a latte and typing on their computers. If one is unwilling to do anything about the suffering that is around them why do they expect god to. I often think about underpaid doctors on the ground floor of the Ebola out break.

Maybe god gave many of us good health and fortune to be boots on the ground to help the others. Maybe god allows suffering so that we have an opportunity to show and receive compassion. Maybe be are god and its all our fault.

I don't know, but one thing for sure, no one has any right to complaint if they themselves are not doing anything. I be if one meditated or prayed about compassion for at least 10 minutes per day, the amount of suffering in the world would sharply fall off. Not entirely but, who wants to live in a world without heroism and compassion anyway.

• Like 1

You may or may not thank and love your parents depending on how good they were to you I suppose. It is selfish isn't it? To expect to have a good life.

If my parents loved me but treated everyone else horribly, I would not love them. or maybe I'd love them but I'd still admit that they have their flaws and imperfections

I think a lot of theists either praise god for what they have out of gratitude or praise him because they believe he will eventually relieve their suffering. Either way it serves a solid function in the human condition. I prefer to thank god for what I have and ask god to strengthen me towards being better, but if I were in a state of suffering I'm sure I would look to god for relief. Some want to blame god for suffering, and I understand why,

I see I, Us, Me, but what about other people? Do you praise people who suck at their jobs because they'll do better? no, you criticize them, you encourage them by pointing to their flaws. God benefits you, but he may not benefit other people, yet you praise him, and think he's worthy of praise, because he has been good to you.

but in my experience 90% of suffering is self induced.The other 10% is circumstantial or induced by someone else.

God is completely innocent I guess, a child is born blind, their parents did not expect to have a blind child, it wasn't their fault, they didn't know. Yet I guess it is just someone else's fault.

I always though human beings are childish and selfish. They will chastise a supreme being about the suffering of the world meanwhile sipping on a latte and typing on their computers. If one is unwilling to do anything about the suffering that is around them why do they expect god to. I often think about underpaid doctors on the ground floor of the Ebola out break.

I'm not doing enough to save this world, can you admit you're not? Sure I make donations, I help people, but I can admit to you and everyone that I'm not doing all I can.

You have an urgency to readily defend your god, and don't want to attach any blame to him, yet you accuse people who chastise god as 'childish' and 'selfish' ? I thought 'selfishness was not doing enough for the world, I certainly didn't think that selfishness was chastising god, A person can blame god all he wants, yet he can help other people? would you still call him selfish?

Maybe god gave many of us good health and fortune to be boots on the ground to help the others. Maybe god allows suffering so that we have an opportunity to show and receive compassion. Maybe be are god and its all our fault.

That's easy for me and you to say, I want to hear that the unfortunate ones, those who are suffering, not people who want to justify people's suffering. If you should be on the receiving end of compassion, and yet you do not get any compassion, like millions do, then you'd think it's not so justified would you?

I don't know, but one thing for sure, no one has any right to complaint if they themselves are not doing anything. I be if one meditated or prayed about compassion for at least 10 minutes per day, the amount of suffering in the world would sharply fall off. Not entirely but, who wants to live in a world without heroism and compassion anyway.

Meditation and praying, instead of going out and helping people will surely help this world a little, I guess.

Since “all have sinned and come short of the glory of God” (Romans 3:23), there is no one who has the right to freedom from God’s wrath on the basis of their own innocence. As far as babies are concerned, and others who may be incompetent mentally to distinguish right from wrong, it is clear from both scripture and universal experience that they are sinners by nature and thus will inevitably become sinners by choice as soon as they are able to do so.

The world is now under God’s curse (Genesis 3:17) because of our rebellion against God’s word. This “bondage of corruption” with the “whole world groaning and travailing together in pain” (Romans 8:21-22), is universal, affecting all men, women, and children everywhere. God did not create the world this way, and one day will set all things right again. In that day, “God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes; and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain” (Revelation 21:4).

The Lord Jesus Christ, who was the only truly “innocent” and “righteous” man in all history, nevertheless has suffered more than anyone else who ever lived. And this He did for us! “Christ died for our sins” (1 Corinthians 15:3). He suffered and died, in order that ultimately He delivers the world from the curse, and that, even now, He can deliver from sin and its bondage anyone who will receive Him in faith as personal Lord and Savior. This great deliverance from the penalty of inherent sin, as well as overt sins, very possibly also assures the salvation of those who died before reaching an age of conscious choice of right over wrong.

With our full faith in God’s goodness and in Christ’s redemption, we can recognize that our present sufferings can be turned to His glory and our good. The sufferings of unsaved people are often used by the Holy Spirit to cause them to realize their need of salvation and to turn to Christ in repentance and faith. The sufferings of Christians should always be the means of developing a stronger dependence on God and a more Christ-like character, if they are properly “exercised thereby” (Hebrews 12:11). Thus, God is loving and merciful, even when, “for the present”, He allows trials and sufferings to come in our lives. “For we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are called according to His purpose” (Romans 8:28).

Lastly, God shall be praised for all things, however if you need a special reason look to John 3:16. This alone should have you praising God at all times, as loud as you can. And yes, God wants our praise; although not to stroke an ego but for us to show our appreciation…some are just more boisterous than others. God needs nothing, praise or belief in Him, since He is above everything He lacks nothing. We need to believe in Him (to be saved) and ultimately praise Him for what He has provided (John 3:16) by His grace and deep love for us.

Edited by Perceptivum

@Perceptivum

As far as babies are concerned, and others who may be incompetent mentally to distinguish right from wrong, it is clear from both scripture and universal experience that they are sinners by nature and thus will inevitably become sinners by choice as soon as they are able to do so.

and you're completely OK with all this because it's in some scripture, or you're not OK, but let it go because "It's just the way it is written in scripture?"

And this still makes god perfect in your view? or would you say that god has his flaws and limitations, but he does more good that bad?

The Lord Jesus Christ, who was the only truly “innocent” and “righteous” man in all history, nevertheless has suffered more than anyone else who ever lived. And this He did for us!

Suffered he did, but I don't think people in this world have suffered any less.

Lastly, God shall be praised for all things, however if you need a special reason look to John 3:16. This alone should have you praising God at all times, as loud as you can. And yes, God wants our praise; although not to stroke an ego but for us to show our appreciation…some are just more boisterous than others. God needs nothing, praise or belief in Him, since He is above everything He lacks nothing. We need to believe in Him (to be saved) and ultimately praise Him for what He has provided (John 3:16) by His grace and deep love for us.

Let's praise god for putting my friend in a mental institution, from birth too. If you think it's not his fault, then it's no different from saying god is not responsible for good, but people are, and he doesn't a thing, he wants people to do good, so all your prayers could be in vain.

You can believe him and still do a lot of evil, nothing stops you from doing evil, I doubt he lets them into heaven.

Note : Maybe you're just quoting stuff and these are not your actual beliefs, so I don't want any answers in that case.

If my parents loved me but treated everyone else horribly, I would not love them. or maybe I'd love them but I'd still admit that they have their flaws and imperfections

I see I, Us, Me, but what about other people? Do you praise people who suck at their jobs because they'll do better? no, you criticize them, you encourage them by pointing to their flaws. God benefits you, but he may not benefit other people, yet you praise him, and think he's worthy of praise, because he has been good to you.

God is completely innocent I guess, a child is born blind, their parents did not expect to have a blind child, it wasn't their fault, they didn't know. Yet I guess it is just someone else's fault.

I'm not doing enough to save this world, can you admit you're not? Sure I make donations, I help people, but I can admit to you and everyone that I'm not doing all I can.

You have an urgency to readily defend your god, and don't want to attach any blame to him, yet you accuse people who chastise god as 'childish' and 'selfish' ? I thought 'selfishness was not doing enough for the world, I certainly didn't think that selfishness was chastising god, A person can blame god all he wants, yet he can help other people? would you still call him selfish?

That's easy for me and you to say, I want to hear that the unfortunate ones, those who are suffering, not people who want to justify people's suffering. If you should be on the receiving end of compassion, and yet you do not get any compassion, like millions do, then you'd think it's not so justified would you?

Meditation and praying, instead of going out and helping people will surely help this world a little, I guess.

It will. A study on monks show that meditation in compassion increases your willingness to actually perform compassion. All meditation is is thinking about it. Prayer is a form of meditation. If you don't concern yourself with it, you are not going to act and follow through.

Yes the kid born blind falls into the 10% I was talking about.

Everything said aside lets play the if I were God game.

If you are god, how do you create free will, compassion, heroism etc etc without allowing for its absence? Don't say god is god he should be able to figure it out. If god is going to be a real being he is going to have to play by some of the rules as the rest of us.

I am not blaming god for all the world's suffering, maybe he let's these things slip, if he can make people happy and fulfill their wishes, why isn't he doing the same to other people. Can he help only so many people, don't individuals count?

The thread, as I've repeatedly stated in it, is no about war, or suffering caused by man, but the replies made me delve into the 'trials and tribulations' part, when it is so obvious, that some people have it worse than others. It's not fair for some people to deal with what they have to.

Same way, you can sit their praying all day, but if you're not doing, you're not doing anything. Selfishness is based on what you do, and not whether or not you chastise or question god, you can do that and still do a lot of work that god would want you do.

If god is really as godly as he is, he surely wouldn't care about criticism or chastising, as he loves us all, and wants us to help people, but that is doing god's work, and that is what we can universally agree upon.

Back to the suffering part, I certainly cannot go up to a person who is born with a birth defect or mental illness of any kind, and say "It's not your fault, god lets suffering happening so I can show you some compassion?", what about the individual that's suffering? what does the individual want? does he want to be like the rest of us or does he want to suffer because 'god lets suffering happen'? why wouldn't he if he had the chance to?

I am not bashing anyone on their faith here, I live in a religious household, I'm not religious, and I don't believe in good, but I believe there is some good in the belief of god, because often times, I think it helps my dad to stay strong.

And back to does good really need praise question, praise him if it gives you strength, that is perfectly reasonable, and encourage others if you think they can find strength too, but what kind of a god would want praise anyway? and why?