Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Prove your abilities -rake in the $$$$$

skeptoid brian dunning james randi

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1    Rafterman

Rafterman

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,456 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 06:55 PM

Today on Skeptoid:
Prove Your Supernatural Power and Get Rich

If you can demonstrate a power unknown to science, there are people looking to write you a check.

Listen to the short podcast or read the transcript at:  http://skeptoid.com/episodes/4372

_____

Most have heard of the James Randi $1 million challenge, but you probably didn't know that there's more than double that out there in announced challenges alone.  Prove your supernatural/psychic abilities and rake in the cash.

Now I know what you're going to say, "But Raft, I'm not in it for the money and I don't have to prove anything to anyone".  But isn't that such a selfish and non-New Agey attitude?  Fine, don't keep the money for yourself, but think of all of the good will that could be done with that money - puppies could be rescued, children fed, the Earth saved, etc.  How could you sleep at night knowing that starving children could be saved simply by you proving your abilities?  And what would be better than taking money from Big Meaney Skeptic types like James Randi?

So all of you dowsers, psychics, mediums, aura readers, healers, etc., dust off that Third Eye and get to work.

I for one will be rooting the strongest for you.

Edited by Rafterman, 23 July 2013 - 06:56 PM.

"You can't have freedom of religion without having freedom from the religious beliefs of other people."

#2    kannin

kannin

Punisher of the wicked

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,765 posts

• the secret to change is to focus all of your energy,not fighting the old, but building the new

Posted 23 July 2013 - 07:02 PM

............................ wow that all im going to say

happiness can be found in the darkest of times, only if one remembers to turn on the light

#3    ancient astronaut

ancient astronaut

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 727 posts

• It Is What It Is.

Posted 23 July 2013 - 09:57 PM

I don't know if this counts as supernatural, but I can down a gallon of Ice tea in about 12 seconds. Does this qualify?????????Where is my check??

[media='funny-pic'][/media]

#4    kannin

kannin

Punisher of the wicked

• 1,765 posts

• the secret to change is to focus all of your energy,not fighting the old, but building the new

Posted 23 July 2013 - 09:59 PM

View Postancient astronaut, on 23 July 2013 - 09:57 PM, said:

I don't know if this counts as supernatural, but I can down a gallon of Ice tea in about 12 seconds. Does this qualify?????????Where is my check??
lmao this made me almost srpout my coffee from my nostrels

i can make my kids litsen to me for more than 30 seconds at a time, i would like to be paid now as well

happiness can be found in the darkest of times, only if one remembers to turn on the light

#5    Rafterman

Rafterman

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,456 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 10:57 PM

The links are in the transcript - feel free to apply.

"You can't have freedom of religion without having freedom from the religious beliefs of other people."

#6    kannin

kannin

Punisher of the wicked

• 1,765 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 10:59 PM

View PostRafterman, on 23 July 2013 - 10:57 PM, said:

The links are in the transcript - feel free to apply.
sorry man didnt mean to humor on your post, just having a little fun

#7    Rafterman

Rafterman

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,456 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 02:39 AM

View Postkannin, on 23 July 2013 - 10:59 PM, said:

sorry man didnt mean to humor on your post, just having a little fun

It's all good - we need more humor around here anyway.

#8    White Crane Feather

White Crane Feather

Forum Divinity

• 10,968 posts

• Potter: " is this real or is this in my mind?"

Dumbledore: " Of course it's in your mind....., but that dosn't mean it's not real."

Posted 24 July 2013 - 05:13 AM

Randi will nit test those that might have a legitimate claim. Be has even insulted and refused to test mirisla Magola. I have not been able to find anything debunking him other than bias opinion about his character. Regardless randis comments about him show his true character. Calling the man an unwashed lier. So far unless someone has info that I can't find it would seem that randi is the dishonest one.

*snip*

Edited by Saru, 24 July 2013 - 08:54 AM.
Video removed due to copyright

"I wish neither to possess, Nor to be possessed. I no longer covet paradise, more important, I no longer fear hell. The medicine for my suffering I had within me from the very beginning, but I did not take it. My ailment came from within myself, But I did not observe it until this moment. Now I see that I will never find the light.  Unless, like the candle, I am my own fuel, Consuming myself. "
Bruce Lee-

#9    Zaphod222

Zaphod222

Psychic Spy

• 1,594 posts

• When the gods wish to punish us, they answer our prayers.
    (Oscar Wilde)

Posted 24 July 2013 - 05:21 AM

View PostRafterman, on 23 July 2013 - 06:55 PM, said:

Most have heard of the James Randi $1 million challenge, but you probably didn't know that there's more than double that out there in announced challenges alone.  Prove your supernatural/psychic abilities and rake in the cash.

Yeah. Don´t hold your breath.

I would happily bet my entire net worth (whatever little there is), safe in the knowledge that it won´t happen.

Still, the believers stick to their faith.

"The moment you declare a set of ideas to be immune from criticism, satire, derision, or contempt, freedom of thought becomes impossible." (Salman Rushdie)

#10    Rafterman

Rafterman

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,456 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 10:30 AM

View PostSeeker79, on 24 July 2013 - 05:13 AM, said:

Randi will nit test those that might have a legitimate claim. Be has even insulted and refused to test mirisla Magola. I have not been able to find anything debunking him other than bias opinion about his character. Regardless randis comments about him show his true character. Calling the man an unwashed lier. So far unless someone has info that I can't find it would seem that randi is the dishonest one.

*snip*

Untrue.  Anyone can apply.

Besides, if you don't like Randi's challenge, try any or all of the others.  The one in Europe is even more money.

The point that most miss is that all of these groups - even Randi himself - desperately want someone to take this money.  They want someone to be able to show that they have these abilities.

#11    White Crane Feather

White Crane Feather

Forum Divinity

• 10,968 posts

Dumbledore: " Of course it's in your mind....., but that dosn't mean it's not real."

Posted 24 July 2013 - 04:01 PM

View PostRafterman, on 24 July 2013 - 10:30 AM, said:

Untrue.  Anyone can apply.

Besides, if you don't like Randi's challenge, try any or all of the others.  The one in Europe is even more money.

The point that most miss is that all of these groups - even Randi himself - desperately want someone to take this money.  They want someone to be able to show that they have these abilities.
It is true. Anyone can apply, but he only test those he knows will fail. Research the exchanges between Margola and Randi, you might be surprised at Randy's behavior. Margola is happy to be tested in an open forum, he submits to any testing anyone wants. Discovery channel wanted to run a documentary on him but they wanted the film rights to his demonstrations. Basically he had to agree that no one else could film him for profit except discovery. Randi refuses to test him openly. It's funny, just after writing this I saw that the previous video from stan lees  superhumans was removed because it violated copyrights. Just search for it yourself on YouTube.

He openly rises to any challenges randi smirks about. Randi asks for talcum poweder, he does it, randi askes for gloves, he does it. Still Randi will not meet with him. I'm open for some debunking info if anyone has any?

Edited by Seeker79, 24 July 2013 - 04:17 PM.

"I wish neither to possess, Nor to be possessed. I no longer covet paradise, more important, I no longer fear hell. The medicine for my suffering I had within me from the very beginning, but I did not take it. My ailment came from within myself, But I did not observe it until this moment. Now I see that I will never find the light.  Unless, like the candle, I am my own fuel, Consuming myself. "
Bruce Lee-

#12    kannin

kannin

Punisher of the wicked

• 1,765 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 04:06 PM

i think this is getting a bit off topic from what the OP wanted now.......just saying

#13    White Crane Feather

White Crane Feather

Forum Divinity

• 10,968 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 04:18 PM

View Postkannin, on 24 July 2013 - 04:06 PM, said:

i think this is getting a bit off topic from what the OP wanted now.......just saying
Not at all. There is a man trying to proove is abilities and rake in the $$$$$$

Bruce Lee-

#14    kannin

kannin

Punisher of the wicked

• 1,765 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 07:16 PM

lol i wonder how much you would get if you had the "hulk" condition

#15    White Crane Feather

White Crane Feather

Forum Divinity

• 10,968 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 07:47 PM

View Postkannin, on 24 July 2013 - 07:16 PM, said:

lol i wonder how much you would get if you had the "hulk" condition
Nothing. It wouldn't be paranormal. It would be a chemical induced condition and even if unexplainable it would not qualify. This will be crux of any legitimate challenge. A person can have magnetic capabilities, but upon study if something like control of the iron in the blood somehow allowed a person to create and manipulate magnetic fields, then those holding the cash would say not paranormal just unusual or unique biological function and not eligible for any prize money. Ultimately there is no paranormal, just lak of the full picture. Even if one had amazing telekinetic powers the prize money would not be available because ultimately the lawyers would have their day.

Bruce Lee-

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users