Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Ethics and legal issues behind abortion

abortion support for abortion pro-life pro-choice morality

• Please log in to reply
89 replies to this topic

Poll: Ethics and legal issues behind abortion (32 member(s) have cast votes)

Morally you support abortion only when

1. The woman's life is at fatal (or similar) risk (16 votes [26.67%])

Percentage of vote: 26.67%

2. Rape case scenario (14 votes [23.33%])

Percentage of vote: 23.33%

3. Genetic deformities of the fetus (12 votes [20.00%])

Percentage of vote: 20.00%

4. As a 'contraceptive method' to unwanted pregnancies (2 votes [3.33%])

Percentage of vote: 3.33%

5. All case (15 votes [25.00%])

Percentage of vote: 25.00%

6. Never - not even when the woman's health is at fatal risk (1 votes [1.67%])

Percentage of vote: 1.67%

Legally when do you support abortion?

1. The woman's life is at fatal (or similar) risk (5 votes [15.62%])

Percentage of vote: 15.62%

2. Rape case scenario (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

3. Genetic deformities of the fetus (1 votes [3.12%])

Percentage of vote: 3.12%

4. As a 'contraceptive method' to unwanted pregnancies (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

5. All case (25 votes [78.12%])

Percentage of vote: 78.12%

6. Never - not even when the woman's health is at fatal risk (1 votes [3.12%])

Percentage of vote: 3.12%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#16    Simbi Laveau

Simbi Laveau

Overlord A. Snuffleupagus

• 8,266 posts

• ~So what's all this then ?!

Posted 15 November 2012 - 09:05 PM

View Postmindpurge, on 15 November 2012 - 02:23 PM, said:

I'm pro-life in all cases, I don't believe that abortion should be used as contraceptive... even for a 14 year old. This is why they have adoption agencies.

The ONLY TIME I believe it's a feasible option, is under 2 circumstances:

1. Mother will die
2. Baby is severely retarded or deformed

I don't believe a woman should have the right to kill their baby in any other case even rape (again, this is why they have adoption agencies... it's not the babies fault), and I believe that if you do, you're no better than a murdering psychopath... and furthermore you should be locked up.

You *stole* my avatar ...how rude

Miss me?

#17    Alienated Being

Alienated Being

Government Agent

• Banned
  • 4,163 posts

• "The best way to predict the future is by inventing it."

"Record

Posted 15 November 2012 - 09:20 PM

I really don't care. It is their life and their body, so they can do as they wish. Frankly, I would much rather see a mother abort a child that was the result of a rape than to see that child grow up feeling unloved. Putting a child up for adoption, also, could have extremely negative implications, especially if it is adopted into a home where they become sexually abused.

This topic is also in the incorrect forum. I do not see how this pertains to "Spirituality v. Skepticism". This is more of a "Philosophy and Psychology"-oriented topic.

Edited by Alienated Being, 15 November 2012 - 09:22 PM.

#18    White Crane Feather

White Crane Feather

Forum Divinity

• 11,069 posts

• Potter: " is this real or is this in my mind?"

Dumbledore: " Of course it's in your mind....., but that dosn't mean it's not real."

Posted 16 November 2012 - 04:53 AM

View PostSimbi Laveau, on 15 November 2012 - 09:05 PM, said:

You *stole* my avatar ...how rude
You change your avatar once a week ;)

"I wish neither to possess, Nor to be possessed. I no longer covet paradise, more important, I no longer fear hell. The medicine for my suffering I had within me from the very beginning, but I did not take it. My ailment came from within myself, But I did not observe it until this moment. Now I see that I will never find the light.  Unless, like the candle, I am my own fuel, Consuming myself. "
Bruce Lee-

#19    Imaginarynumber1

Imaginarynumber1

I am not an irrational number

• 4,471 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 05:10 AM

I just don't care in anymore. Abort whomever you want.
Spoiler

"A cat has nine lives. For three he plays, for three he strays, and for the last three he stays."

July 17th, 2008 (Full moon the next night)

RAPTORS! http://www.unexplain...pic=233151&st=0

#20    Simbi Laveau

Simbi Laveau

Overlord A. Snuffleupagus

• 8,266 posts

• ~So what's all this then ?!

Posted 16 November 2012 - 06:53 AM

View PostSeeker79, on 16 November 2012 - 04:53 AM, said:

You change your avatar once a week ;)
No,more like every three days .I'm trying to keep up with Eldorado and Hasina here ..don't harsh my mellow ...and its still no excuse to not at least ASK ,can I have the avatar a friend made for your old LiveJournal ,like TEN YEARS AGO . Rude.....just rrruuuddeee .Terrible forum etiquette .tut tut

Miss me?

#21    Mr Walker

Mr Walker

Forum Divinity

• 15,186 posts

• Sometimes the Phantom leaves the jungle, and walks the streets of the city like an ordinary man.

Posted 16 November 2012 - 08:08 AM

View PostHazrus, on 15 November 2012 - 04:48 PM, said:

If you don't believe in abortion, don't have one, but who are you to tell others they cannot?

Some tigers eat their young and some humans abort theirs, neither of which affects you or me in the slightest.
The  unnecessary death of every human being;  unborn, young or old, offends me and hurts me. It is, inherently and logically, no more ethical or moral to kill an unborn child than to kill one a week old, or to kill a ninety year old.

The problem is a practical one. An unborn child is biologically attached to its mother who is necessary for its survival . In turn the baby can affect the mothers physical and psychological health.

That puts two unique individuals into a potential conflict of interest.

The most ethical and logical  solution is to assign proportional rights to both individuals. As an existing adult human, a woman has certain basic rights. So does an unborn child, albeit lesser in law and in reality because it is a biologically dependent entity rather than an entirely independent one..

The "trick" is balancing those  rights in the best interests of both individuals.  While pregnant, a woman's body is not just  her own. She is also the host of a second unique and individual human being who will, with time and fortune, become a human being just like her. Tigers kill other tigers. humans kill other humans.
Murder does not affect me personally. Are you saying i have no right to comment on the morality of murder, or  work to prevent one adult human being killing another just because it "doesn't affect me"?
Abortion doesn't affect me personally either, but i have the same rights to comment on it, and to work towards establishing legal and ethical frameworks to regulate it.

You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars; you have a right to be here. And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.

Therefore be at peace with God, whatever you conceive Him to be, and whatever your labors and aspirations, in the noisy confusion of life keep peace with your soul.

With all its sham, drudgery and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world..

Be cheerful.

Strive to be happy.

#22    Jinxdom

Jinxdom

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 720 posts

• Education...has produced a vast population able to read but unable to distinguish what is worth reading.
    -- G.M. Trevelyan

Posted 16 November 2012 - 08:18 AM

As a 'contraceptive method' to unwanted pregnancies.

Is this the whole morning after pill included in this or not? because the whole morning after pill isn't an abortion regardless of how many bibles and pro-lifers you try to throw at it.

#23    White Crane Feather

White Crane Feather

Forum Divinity

• 11,069 posts

• Potter: " is this real or is this in my mind?"

Dumbledore: " Of course it's in your mind....., but that dosn't mean it's not real."

Posted 16 November 2012 - 10:11 AM

View PostJinxdom, on 16 November 2012 - 08:18 AM, said:

Is this the whole morning after pill included in this or not? because the whole morning after pill isn't an abortion regardless of how many bibles and pro-lifers you try to throw at it.
That's not really abortion more like being on the pill.

"I wish neither to possess, Nor to be possessed. I no longer covet paradise, more important, I no longer fear hell. The medicine for my suffering I had within me from the very beginning, but I did not take it. My ailment came from within myself, But I did not observe it until this moment. Now I see that I will never find the light.  Unless, like the candle, I am my own fuel, Consuming myself. "
Bruce Lee-

#24    Beckys_Mom

Beckys_Mom

Sarcastic Muppet..!

• 51,196 posts

• "I hate pretentious people. I mean, what is the point in applying exorbitantly extensive vocabulary, it is just straightforwardly unnecessary".

Posted 16 November 2012 - 10:33 AM

View PostJinxdom, on 16 November 2012 - 08:18 AM, said:

I took the morning after pill twice  ..Back when Gary and I  did  not want kids... That is one hateful pill to take, made me throw up ...

Posted ImageRAW Berris... Dare you enter?

If there's a heaven...I hope to hell I get there !

#25    Beany

Beany

Government Agent

• 3,265 posts

• If music is the most universal language just think of me as one whole note. Nikki Giovanni

Posted 17 November 2012 - 06:22 AM

Women have been dealing with unwanted pregnancies for thousands of year, and will continue to do so despite whatever restrictive laws might be passed. Any way, why aren't we talking about the causes of unwanted pregnancies instead of the results? Why aren't we talking about sex education, free or cheap contraceptives, tougher child support enforcement, tougher sentencing for sex and child abusers, how we can support the mothers and their babies? Why aren't we focusing on solutions instead of insisting on making moral arguments? Reframing the question might result in practical, workable, solutions that moral arguments will likely never accomplish.

Edited by Beany, 17 November 2012 - 06:27 AM.

#26    Sthenno

Sthenno

Poltergeist

• 2,167 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 07:08 AM

One thing genuinely puzzles me about the people who are completely opposed to abortion except in the case of it endangering the life of the mother. So, what, you believe that a foetus is the same as a baby and killing it is morally abhorrent, but if the mother is likely to die otherwise then that's OK? Where is the line on that? Does it then follow that it would be completely appropriate for a mother to send her newborn child into surgery because she needed it's kidney? What if a mother doesn't have enough food for her and her son and will starve to death if she has to feed both. Is it then OK to murder the child? I just don't get the logic...

#27    Rlyeh

Rlyeh

Omnipotent Entity

• 9,028 posts

• Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Posted 17 November 2012 - 07:17 AM

View PostSthenno, on 17 November 2012 - 07:08 AM, said:

One thing genuinely puzzles me about the people who are completely opposed to abortion except in the case of it endangering the life of the mother. So, what, you believe that a foetus is the same as a baby and killing it is morally abhorrent, but if the mother is likely to die otherwise then that's OK? Where is the line on that? Does it then follow that it would be completely appropriate for a mother to send her newborn child into surgery because she needed it's kidney? What if a mother doesn't have enough food for her and her son and will starve to death if she has to feed both. Is it then OK to murder the child? I just don't get the logic...
So you don't get that the mother's body is inherently her own?

#28    Sthenno

Sthenno

Poltergeist

• 2,167 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 07:28 AM

View PostRlyeh, on 17 November 2012 - 07:17 AM, said:

I get that, sure. What puzzles me is people who are completely anti-abortion, believing a foetus is a person with just as much right to live as you are I, but are then happy to suspend that right if the mother's health is at risk.

#29    Mr Walker

Mr Walker

Forum Divinity

• 15,186 posts

• Sometimes the Phantom leaves the jungle, and walks the streets of the city like an ordinary man.

Posted 17 November 2012 - 08:46 AM

View PostRlyeh, on 17 November 2012 - 07:17 AM, said:

The mother's body may be; but the baby inside her is NOT, biologically,  a part of her own body. It is an independent biological entity feeding from her for 9 months before separating from her. She does not logically have the same rights over that entity as she does over her own body. But there is a logical argument that her own health as an adult citizen has a higher priority than that of an unborn child.

Immediately the child is born, of course, they enjoy the same priority of legal protection, even if still umbillically attached. Smother a child after it has taken its first breath, and you are a murderer, whether you are its mother or not.

You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars; you have a right to be here. And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.

Therefore be at peace with God, whatever you conceive Him to be, and whatever your labors and aspirations, in the noisy confusion of life keep peace with your soul.

With all its sham, drudgery and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world..

Be cheerful.

Strive to be happy.

#30    Rlyeh

Rlyeh

Omnipotent Entity

• 9,028 posts

• Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Posted 17 November 2012 - 08:58 AM

What definition of independent are you using?

View PostMr Walker, on 17 November 2012 - 08:46 AM, said:

She does not logically have the same rights over that entity as she does over her own body.
Logically then she can still have it removed, as it is her body. To come to your conclusion you've got to ignore the fact she must give up her body.

Immediately the child is born, of course, they enjoy the same priority of legal protection, even if still umbillically attached. Smother a child after it has taken its first breath, and you are a murderer, whether you are its mother or not.
Unless it offended God.

Edited by Rlyeh, 17 November 2012 - 09:01 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users