Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Naga of Mekong River in Nongkhai Thailand

naga

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1    Rezaque-SG

Rezaque-SG

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 3 posts

• ~Nothing can be hidden when one's mind is set on a path~

Posted 17 February 2013 - 09:13 AM

Anyone care to share new findings of Naga said to reside in Thailand's murky Mekong River. Legend has it till now every Buddhist Lent in October its being said to release or shoot countless/dozen fireball in the air. Till now scientist dispute saying that the fireball is the cause of built up methane under water.
The thing that puzzles me is what/who lit up the gas, and why does it always happen after ending Buddhist Lent???Attached File  image.jpg   9.25K   49 downloads

#2    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 14,383 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 17 February 2013 - 10:18 AM

What is "Buddhist Lent?"

#3    Abramelin

Abramelin

-

• 18,110 posts
  • Location:"Here the tide is ruled, by the wind, the moon and us."

• God created the world, but the Dutch created the Netherlands

Posted 17 February 2013 - 10:39 AM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vassa

#4    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 14,383 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 17 February 2013 - 10:45 AM

I was hoping you would tell me in tell me in your own words.  Many, as you may know, resent associating Vassa with Lent.

#5    Abramelin

Abramelin

-

• 18,110 posts
  • Location:"Here the tide is ruled, by the wind, the moon and us."

• God created the world, but the Dutch created the Netherlands

Posted 17 February 2013 - 10:53 AM

If you mean me, I think Rezaque used a common term used for British publications:

Thai: พรรษา, phansaa), also called Rains Retreat, and sometimes called Buddhist Lent in English language publications. (This is anachronistic as the so-called Buddhist Lent was established by the Buddha around 500 years before the birth of Christianity.) Vassa is the three-month annual retreat observed by Theravada practitioners.

#6    Ohelemapit

Ohelemapit

My freestyle rapping career didn't work out, so I came back

• 6,293 posts

• The illegitimate love-child of Strategy and Creativity. Sex God, Entrepreneur, Super Hero, Rapper, Table Dancer.

Posted 17 February 2013 - 10:58 AM

It is believed that the Naga launches the fireballs as a way to pay respect to Buddha on the day of the full moon at the end of Buddhist Lent, at least that is my understanding. The Naga Fireballs are obviously released by man, I don’t think the Naga’s underwater kingdom sells fireballs. The Naga fireballs are just a show to Lord Buddha and possibly to Naga itself, in fact they make quite a festival of the event now.

What is the Naga? Do we believe there is a golden crested serpent, type creature in the Mekong River. This river is the home to some huge monster cat fish or perhaps a miss-identified snake, skimming the surface while it crosses the river. The river lends itself well to great stories of unexplained river monsters.

Welcome to UM R-SG

Posted Image

#7    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 14,383 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 17 February 2013 - 11:06 AM

Who knows what monsters lurk in the Mekong -- but, hey, the Buddha was a Ganges man.

#8    keninsc

keninsc

Poltergeist

• Validating
  • 3,234 posts

• The problem with people who have no vices is that generally you can be pretty sure they're going to have some pretty annoying virtues. Liz Taylor

Posted 17 February 2013 - 11:29 AM

There's a lot of large fish and such in the Mekong. I don't know much about it, I was up north around Da Nang.

#9    psyche101

psyche101

Conspiracy Realist

• 31,833 posts

• If you stop to think, Remember to start again

Posted 19 February 2013 - 09:35 AM

View Postxsas, on 17 February 2013 - 10:58 AM, said:

It is believed that the Naga launches the fireballs as a way to pay respect to Buddha on the day of the full moon at the end of Buddhist Lent, at least that is my understanding. The Naga Fireballs are obviously released by man, I don’t think the Naga’s underwater kingdom sells fireballs. The Naga fireballs are just a show to Lord Buddha and possibly to Naga itself, in fact they make quite a festival of the event now.

What is the Naga? Do we believe there is a golden crested serpent, type creature in the Mekong River. This river is the home to some huge monster cat fish or perhaps a miss-identified snake, skimming the surface while it crosses the river. The river lends itself well to great stories of unexplained river monsters.

Welcome to UM R-SG

Hi Xsas

The general consensus is that they are some type of plasma phenomenon. These things have been reported for a very long time, and any number from tens to thousands can be seen in a night ranging from baseball to basketball size. It is believed this phenomena is simply not catalogued nor understood  but more along the lines of natural phenomena.

Cheers.

Things are what they are. - Me Reality can't be debunked. That's the beauty of it. - Capeo If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants. - Sir Isaac Newton Let me repeat the lesson learned from the Sturrock scientific review panel: Pack up your old data and forget it. Ufology needs new data, new cases, new rigorous and scientific methodologies if it hopes ever to get out of its pit. - Ed Stewart Youtube is the last refuge of the ignorant and is more often used for disinformation than genuine research.  There is a REASON for PEER REVIEW... - Chrlzs Nothing is inexplicable, just unexplained. - Dr Who

#10    Simbi Laveau

Simbi Laveau

Overlord A. Snuffleupagus

• 8,266 posts

• ~So what's all this then ?!

Posted 19 February 2013 - 10:01 AM

View PostFrank Merton, on 17 February 2013 - 11:06 AM, said:

Who knows what monsters lurk in the Mekong, -- but, hey, the Buddha was a Ganges man.

the Naga have versions world wide.They are from the same lore as Garuda ,who is merely Vishnus mount in Hinduism ,but a major God to the Thais and Indonesians .Where there is Garuda ,there must be the Naga .
Buddha is,worshipped by all ,not just the Hindus.

There are versions of Garuda in Japan ,China ,and Vietnam .....ahem .I have a Vietnamese statue of Garuda .
. There is even a possible correlation between the Naga and the voodoo Loa the Simbi. Many similarities . But in voodoo,there is no definative correlation for Garuda .

Edited by Simbi Laveau, 19 February 2013 - 10:03 AM.

Miss me?

#11    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 14,383 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 19 February 2013 - 10:17 AM

View PostSimbi Laveau, on 19 February 2013 - 10:01 AM, said:

There are versions of Garuda in Japan ,China ,and Vietnam .....ahem .I have a Vietnamese statue of Garuda .
All I can figure is someone bought one down in the tourist areas -- you can get practically any deity down there, 'cause I can assure you Garuda is not in any Vietnamese pantheon I ever heard of, and is not a Buddhist icon around here.

Not that it matters; if I wanted to set one up, there would be no hassle from anyone.

#12    Simbi Laveau

Simbi Laveau

• 8,266 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 10:26 AM

View PostFrank Merton, on 19 February 2013 - 10:17 AM, said:

All I can figure is someone bought one down in the tourist areas -- you can get practically any deity down there, 'cause I can assure you Garuda is not in any Vietnamese pantheon I ever heard of, and is not a Buddhist icon around here.

Not that it matters; if I wanted to set one up, there would be no hassle from anyone.
He probably isn't called Garuda .
His name in China and Japan ,are quite different .
I have a statue of Kali ma from Vietnam too ,and I'm sure she's not call Kali ,but she had eight arms ,each with a weapon .
She is probably considered a demon in Vietnam .

Carvings of garuda in Vietnam
http://www.learnnc.o...am-cambodia/598

Ahh,cham sculpture,which is Vietnamese ...there seem to be quite a lot of cham sculptures of Garuda in the Danang museum .
If you google it ,many of garuda,all found in Vietnam ,all in Vietnam museums ,can be found .

http://www.superstoc...filterForFotog=

Edited by Simbi Laveau, 19 February 2013 - 10:38 AM.

Miss me?

#13    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 14,383 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 19 February 2013 - 10:35 AM

Ah, now I know; you are looking at Cham artifacts -- a culture that occupied the southern parts of Vietnam about a thousand years ago and was basically Hindu.

#14    Simbi Laveau

Simbi Laveau

• 8,266 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 10:43 AM

View PostFrank Merton, on 19 February 2013 - 10:35 AM, said:

Ah, now I know; you are looking at Cham artifacts -- a culture that occupied the southern parts of Vietnam about a thousand years ago and was basically Hindu.

Umm hmmm.

Here he is in Cambodia too .

If it were the Hindu version,he would have Vishnu on his back .

There are even Naga statues in Cambodia .

http://www.photostoc...ap-cambodia.php

Edited by Simbi Laveau, 19 February 2013 - 10:56 AM.

Miss me?

#15    Yes_Man

Yes_Man

hi

• 8,262 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 12:42 PM

Isn't there ment to be a giant Ray size of a man?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users