Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Exploding Frogs

The Raven

This is kind of like the slug, but when I was younger my father used to tell me of sinister but "funny" things himself and his brother did. One of them was making frogs blow up.

He said that if you get a frog, turn it on it's belly, then cover it in salt [The breathing sac], the frog will start to breathe faster and faster, then explode. Is this true and has anyone heard of this?

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• The Raven

• matthewgoad

• FreyKade

• theSOURCE

I recently heard of toads exploding because of crows eating their livers.

Link

“The crows are clever,” said Frank Mutschmann, a Berlin veterinarian who collected and tested specimens at the Hamburg pond. “They learn quickly from watching other crows how to get the livers.”

Based on the wounds, Mutschmann said, it appears that a bird pecks into the toad with its beak between the amphibian’s chest and abdominal cavity, and the toad puffs itself up as a natural defense mechanism.

But, because the liver is missing and there’s a hole in the toad’s body, the blood vessels and lungs burst and the other organs ooze out, he said.

But I've never heard of the salt on the belly of a frog thing.

that is disgusting. if i saw a frog explode, i would aswel. and it wouldnt be pretty. may be projectile vomitting

I haven't heard of the salt one but I once read in a novel (called Harris and Me though I can't remember the author) that you can blow them up with a straw but if you blow too much air into them they explode... Can't remember the details. It was written in a disgustingly amusing way. One of the funniest books I've read.

I haven't heard of the salt one but I once read in a novel (called Harris and Me though I can't remember the author) that you can blow them up with a straw but if you blow too much air into them they explode... Can't remember the details. It was written in a disgustingly amusing way. One of the funniest books I've read.

737977[/snapback]

Harris and Me, by Gary Paulsen. I've read 90% of his books and he is one of my favorite authors. I agree, that is a very funny book.

I wish I could try the salt experiment without hurting a frog, because I refuse to hurt any creature for something as silly as this. If someone wants to try, go ahead, but I'm not going to be a part of it.

my friend chris says that if you feed alka-seltzer to pidgeons they explode.

it's so harsh...

737977[/snapback]

That reminds me of a Bond film I saw on Fiday, Live and Let Die or Die Another Day wher Bond has a little heliem bullet which he puts in a blokes mouth and he explodes, awful effects though

dontgetit.gif That's so cruel! And..disgusting. I would never do that to a frog..I love frogs. I would like to find out if it's true or not...

lol i did it to a toad. Nothing happens. Only it was on his back not his stomcach. I bet it works on the stomach.

EDIT: I DID THIS A WHILE AGO. NOT TO TEST IT FOR YOU GUYS.

Edited by JohnnyBoyC

If you feed seagulls rice, or any drug (medicine), they explode...

With frogs, you can freeze them, and shatter them with a hammer...

I know that firecrackers will do a number on frogs as well. But you didn't hear it from me.

I've heard if you put a lighted cigarette into a frog's mouth it'll explode. That's the rumor here.

I doubt it's true though.

Best way to explode them is to put a small firecracker in theire mouth.

Sweet, although I think firecrackers would be more entertaining.

At the time with the firecrackers it seemed like a good idea, however in retrospect, it was freakin awesome!