Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

"We are going to get the Falklands back"

Socio

Argentine leader says UK 'arrogant' over Falklands

She was speaking a day after UK Prime Minister David Cameron said the issue of sovereignty was non-negotiable.

President Fernandez called his refusal to hold talks on the sovereignty of the Falklands, or Malvinas, arrogant and bordering on stupidity.

Last week Washington called on Britain and Argentina to negotiate over the Falklands' sovereignty.
The Americans' reference to the islands by their Argentinian name - the Malvinas - didn't "leave too much doubt about which way the wind may be blowing", he said.

Obama wants Israel gives up it's sovereignty now he is going after the UK and the Falklands wanting to them to give up theirs?

• Replies 360
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mr Right Wing

• Space Commander Travis

• Mekorig

• keithisco

The only ones with a legit vote in the matter here are the Falklanders, and I doubt they long to go back to Argentina.

All rest is pure saber rattling.

How can the Falkland Islands "go back" to Argentina? They have never been Argentinian, apart from briefly in 1982 when Argentina, led by a brutal, murderous dictator, invaded them but it didn't take long for Britain to get them back.

Argentina should just bugger off.

Either that or there should be another referendum on the islands to let the people decide whether they want to be British or Argentinian, and we know which way they will vote. That would be the perfect opportunity for the islanders themselves to tell the Argies to bugger off.

Edited by Blackwhite

How can the Falkland Islands "go back" to Argentina? They have never been Argentinian, apart from briefly in 1982 when Argentina, led by a brutal, murderous dictator, invaded them but it didn't take long for Britain to get them back.

Either that or there should be another referendum on the islands to let the people decide whether they want to be British or Argentinian, and we know which way they will vote. That would be the perfect opportunity for the islanders themselves to tell the Argies to bugger off.

In view of the considerable riches that could possibly be found there (though so far all that came up was a blank) I could imagine the Falklanders wanting to be independent in a referendum.

I cannot see the Falkland Islanders voting for independence. Every referendum so far they have voted absolutely overwhelmingly to remain British and I can't see that changing any time soon.

But, if the Falkland Islanders do vote for independence then I'll accept that, and so will Britain. Unlike Argentina, which wants the islands no matter what the islanders think, Britain respects the democratic will of the Falkland Islanders.

Edited by Blackwhite

I cannot see the Falkland Islanders voting for independence. Every referendum so far they have voted absolutely overwhelmingly to remain British and I can't see that changing any time soon.

But, if the Falkland Islanders do vote for independence then I'll accept that, and so will Britain. Unlike Argentina, which wants the islands no matter what the islanders think, Britain respects the democratic will of the Falkland Islanders.

In an earlier referendum they knew that if they want to keep their living standard Britain is the only option they have. If they only find half the amount of oil as in the North Sea around the Falklands that will change in a heartbeat.

In the world of realities flag waving is for those who don't have anything better to do with their lives. At the end all that counts is quality of living and the unwillingness to share once you struck the Bonanza.

1982: Conservative Government slashes defence spending and makes massive cuts in Royal Navy. Argentina decides it's their chance to have a go at the Islas Malvinas.

That burping sound you can hear is history repeating itself.

:unsure2:

1982: Conservative Government slashes defence spending and makes massive cuts in Royal Navy. Argentina decides it's their chance to have a go at the Islas Malvinas.

That burping sound you can hear is history repeating itself.

:unsure2:

On the other hand, even with the massive cuts, Argentina still proves monumentally incapable of holding onto them.

I'll just wait for history to repeat itself in this too.

As for the US interference, since when do they have the right to tell two independent countries what they should do. Maybe we should encourage them to give back the entirety of North America to what's left of the native population.

Edited by Setton

Of course the Argentinians missed their chance. If they had made their move whilst Labour were in power, Gordon would have given it up without a fight. Like he did with our gold reserves.

I think at this moment in time we are very vulnerable and are playing a dangerous game hoping nothing happens within the next ten years and if anything does happen within the next ten years relying on our NATO, EU partners to come to our rescue. we'd struggle to do a Falklands II. we'd have a bloody good go, but would it be enough.

our ****ing navy and armed forces have been decimated.

Edited by stevewinn

I think at this moment in time we are very vulnerable and are playing a dangerous game hoping nothing happens within the next ten years and if anything does happen within the next ten years relying on our NATO, EU partners to come to our rescue. we'd struggle to do a Falklands II. we'd have a bloody good go, but would it be enough.

our ****ing navy and armed forces have been decimated.

Not strictly true as we've lost less than ten percent (just a pet hate of mine, don't worry about it).

Anyway, just because we've lost 7000 from the army, it doesn't mean we'd lose a war with Argentina. I'm not sure how large the Argentine army is but we still have ~95000 service personnel in the army alone. The navy has lost 5000 which leaves us with ~33000 regulars plus volunteers and reserves.

I'm pretty sure Argentina would lose again.

youre also forgetting when we fight we rarly fight as a country as we are commonwealth so we always have fijians canadians etc to be called upon if the goverments agree and the queen asks upon it

we just about won the last Falklands war. if those Argentinian pilots used the weapons correctly - such as the unexploded bombs we'd have had lost a lot more ships. like in any war you need a bit of luck. such luck happened when the container ship ATLANTIC CONVEYOR got hit instead of our carrier. if it would have been the other way around we'd have lost.

obviously this time around the argies are weaker than they were then, but so are we, lets not forget Argentinas possible allies, Brazil and Venezuela, Hugo Charvez is on the record stating if Argentina was to invade the Falklands Venezuela would prevent the British navy entering the south Atlantic. also Brazil they are already being funny about not allowing ships to to dock if bound for the Falklands.

HMS Alacrity - slightly damaged by bomb near misses

HMS Arrow - slightly damaged by cannon fire

HMS Glamorgan - slightly damaged by bomb near misses, all off Stanley by Daggers of FAA Grupo 6.

Tuesday 4th May

HMS SHEFFIELD - mortally damaged south east of Falklands by Exocet missile fired by Super

Etendard of CANA 2 Esc. Burnt out and sank in tow on Monday 10th May.

Wednesday 12th May

HMS Glasgow - moderately damaged off Stanley by unexploded bomb (1) dropped by A-4B Skyhawks of FAA Grupo 5. Bomb passed through hull but damage took some days to repair and she shortly returned to UK.

Friday 21st May

HMS Antrim - seriously damaged in Falkland Sound outside San Carlos Water by unexploded bomb (2) dropped by Daggers of FAA Grupo 6. UXB removed but damage took some days to repair.

HMS Broadsword - slightly damaged outside San Carlos Water by cannon fire from Daggers of Grupo 6.

HMS Argonaut - slightly damaged outside San Carlos Water by rockets and cannon fire from Aermacchi MB.339A of CANA 1 Esc, and then seriously damaged by two unexploded bombs (3/4) dropped by A-4B Skyhawks of FAA Grupo 5. Removing the UXB's and carrying out repairs took a number of days and although declared operational, she soon sailed for the UK.

HMS Brilliant - slightly damaged outside San Carlos Water by cannon fire from Daggers of Grupo 6. (Different attack from "Broadsword")

HMS ARDENT - badly damaged in Grantham Sound by bombs - hits, UXB's (5+) and near misses - dropped by Daggers of Grupo 6, then mortally damaged by bombs from A-4Q Skyhawks of CANA 3 Esc off North West Island. Sank the following evening.

Sunday 23rd May

HMS ANTELOPE - damaged in San Carlos Water by two unexploded bombs (6/7) dropped by A-4B Skyhawks of Grupo 5. One of the bombs exploded that evening while being defused and she caught fire and sank next day.

Monday 24th May

RFA Sir Galahad - damaged by unexploded bomb (8) and out of action for some days,

RFA Sir Lancelot - damaged by unexploded bomb (9) and not fully operational for almost three weeks,

RFA Sir Bedivere - slightly damaged by glancing bomb, all in San Carlos Water probably by A-4C Skyhawks of FAA Grupo 4.

Tuesday 25th May

HMS Broadsword - damaged north of Pebble Island by bomb from A-4B Skyhawk of Grupo 5 bouncing up through her stern and out again to land in the sea.

HMS COVENTRY - sunk north of Pebble Island in same attack by three bombs.

ATLANTIC CONVEYOR - mortally damaged north east of Falklands by Exocet missile fired by Super Etendard of CANA 2 Esc. Burnt out and later sank in tow.

Saturday 29th May

British Wye - hit north of South Georgia by bomb dropped by C-130 Hercules of FAA Grupo 1 which bounced into the sea without exploding

Tuesday 8th June

HMS Plymouth - damaged in Falkland Sound off San Carlos Water by four unexploded bombs (10-13) from Daggers of FAA Grupo 6.

RFA SIR GALAHAD - mortally damaged off Fitzroy by bombs from A-4B Skyhawks of Grupo 5 and burnt out. Later in June towed out to sea and sunk as a war grave.

RFA Sir Tristram - badly damaged off Fitzroy in same attack and abandoned, but later returned to UK and repaired.

HMS Fearless - sunk in Choiseul Sound by bomb from A-4B Skyhawk of Grupo 5.

Saturday 12th June

HMS Glamorgan - damaged off Stanley by land-based Exocet missile.

Edited by stevewinn

we just about won the last Falklands war. if those Argentinian pilots used the weapons correctly - such as the unexploded bombs we'd have had lost a lot more ships. like in any war you need a bit of luck. such luck happened when the container ship ATLANTIC CONVEYOR got hit instead of our carrier. if it would have been the other way around we'd have lost.

obviously this time around the argies are weaker than they were then, but so are we, lets not forget Argentinas possible allies, Brazil and Venezuela, Hugo Charvez is on the record stating if Argentina was to invade the Falklands Venezuela would prevent the British navy entering the south Atlantic. also Brazil they are already being funny about not allowing ships to to dock if bound for the Falklands.

HMS Alacrity - slightly damaged by bomb near misses

HMS Arrow - slightly damaged by cannon fire

HMS Glamorgan - slightly damaged by bomb near misses, all off Stanley by Daggers of FAA Grupo 6.

Tuesday 4th May

HMS SHEFFIELD - mortally damaged south east of Falklands by Exocet missile fired by Super

Etendard of CANA 2 Esc. Burnt out and sank in tow on Monday 10th May.

Wednesday 12th May

HMS Glasgow - moderately damaged off Stanley by unexploded bomb (1) dropped by A-4B Skyhawks of FAA Grupo 5. Bomb passed through hull but damage took some days to repair and she shortly returned to UK.

Friday 21st May

HMS Antrim - seriously damaged in Falkland Sound outside San Carlos Water by unexploded bomb (2) dropped by Daggers of FAA Grupo 6. UXB removed but damage took some days to repair.

HMS Broadsword - slightly damaged outside San Carlos Water by cannon fire from Daggers of Grupo 6.

HMS Argonaut - slightly damaged outside San Carlos Water by rockets and cannon fire from Aermacchi MB.339A of CANA 1 Esc, and then seriously damaged by two unexploded bombs (3/4) dropped by A-4B Skyhawks of FAA Grupo 5. Removing the UXB's and carrying out repairs took a number of days and although declared operational, she soon sailed for the UK.

HMS Brilliant - slightly damaged outside San Carlos Water by cannon fire from Daggers of Grupo 6. (Different attack from "Broadsword")

HMS ARDENT - badly damaged in Grantham Sound by bombs - hits, UXB's (5+) and near misses - dropped by Daggers of Grupo 6, then mortally damaged by bombs from A-4Q Skyhawks of CANA 3 Esc off North West Island. Sank the following evening.

Sunday 23rd May

HMS ANTELOPE - damaged in San Carlos Water by two unexploded bombs (6/7) dropped by A-4B Skyhawks of Grupo 5. One of the bombs exploded that evening while being defused and she caught fire and sank next day.

Monday 24th May

RFA Sir Galahad - damaged by unexploded bomb (8) and out of action for some days,

RFA Sir Lancelot - damaged by unexploded bomb (9) and not fully operational for almost three weeks,

RFA Sir Bedivere - slightly damaged by glancing bomb, all in San Carlos Water probably by A-4C Skyhawks of FAA Grupo 4.

Tuesday 25th May

HMS Broadsword - damaged north of Pebble Island by bomb from A-4B Skyhawk of Grupo 5 bouncing up through her stern and out again to land in the sea.

HMS COVENTRY - sunk north of Pebble Island in same attack by three bombs.

ATLANTIC CONVEYOR - mortally damaged north east of Falklands by Exocet missile fired by Super Etendard of CANA 2 Esc. Burnt out and later sank in tow.

Saturday 29th May

British Wye - hit north of South Georgia by bomb dropped by C-130 Hercules of FAA Grupo 1 which bounced into the sea without exploding

Tuesday 8th June

HMS Plymouth - damaged in Falkland Sound off San Carlos Water by four unexploded bombs (10-13) from Daggers of FAA Grupo 6.

RFA SIR GALAHAD - mortally damaged off Fitzroy by bombs from A-4B Skyhawks of Grupo 5 and burnt out. Later in June towed out to sea and sunk as a war grave.

RFA Sir Tristram - badly damaged off Fitzroy in same attack and abandoned, but later returned to UK and repaired.

HMS Fearless - sunk in Choiseul Sound by bomb from A-4B Skyhawk of Grupo 5.

Saturday 12th June

HMS Glamorgan - damaged off Stanley by land-based Exocet missile.

Yes, Argentina has allies but so do we. The only way I think we might lose is if the US interferes on Argentina's side. Even then, we'd have a chance since they'd be behaving undemocratically and would lose all their own support.

I'm not sure what the list of damaged sips was for. Maybe I missed something. On the other hand, we really do give ships awesome names :P

As for the US interference, since when do they have the right to tell two independent countries what they should do. Maybe we should encourage them to give back the entirety of North America to what's left of the native population.

Asking the two countries to discuss their problem is hardly interfering, let's not over react here.

** deleted *

Edited by Spark Plug

The Falklands are ours, they are populated by British people and the islands have been ours for centuries. We are also a Democracy and the people down there want to stay with the UK.

If Obama doesnt like it we should nuke his a** at the same time that we do the Argies. Just out of interest why isnt the profanity filter working?

Asking the two countries to discuss their problem is hardly interfering, let's not over react here.

There's nothing to discuss and it doesn't affect the US in any way. If you want to sugar-coat it and claim it's not interfering, by all means pick another word. They still have no right or reason to do it.

I've never agreed with those who say America acts like a global police force but, of late, they do seem to think that it's their responsibility to manage other countries' affairs.

There's nothing to discuss and it doesn't affect the US in any way. If you want to sugar-coat it and claim it's not interfering, by all means pick another word. They still have no right or reason to do it.

I've never agreed with those who say America acts like a global police force but, of late, they do seem to think that it's their responsibility to manage other countries' affairs.

Hear, hear its none of Americas business.

And from your link,

Military strength comparison

If you link Argentina and the UK, According to these statistical comparisons, Argentina wouldn't stand a chance if they tried to conquer the islands by force again. I'm sure De Kirchner knows this as well and in fairness no political entity from either side is talking about a military confrontation. Therefore it's basically down to political pressure on common allies and it "may" appear that the first round has gone to Argentina. I doubt the couple of thousand Falkland Islanders will have much of a say in any of this.

Edited by BlackRedLittleDevil

And from your link,

If you link Argentina and the UK, According to these statistical comparisons, Argentina wouldn't stand a chance if they tried to conquer the islands by force again. I'm sure De Kirchner knows this as well and in fairness no political entity from either side is talking about a military confrontation. Therefore it's basically down to political pressure on common allies and it "may" appear that the first round has gone to Argentina. I doubt the couple of thousand Falkland Islanders will have much of a say in any of this.

Sure and while we're at it lets submit our request to the UN to make France give us Calais back.

It isnt happening. The Argentians have no legal claim on the Falkland Islands the claim is 100% ours. I think we should pre-emtive strike them for trying to get their allies to apply pressure to Britain. Bit like smacking the bully in its mouth who is bad mouthing you to everybody.

The Argies can get lost. They arent taking a peice of our nation which they once upon a time many centuries ago had a tiny bit of a claim on. Go find your own oil. If they want to try taking it again we should use nukes on them.

Sure and while we're at it lets submit our request to the UN to make France give us Calais back.

It isnt happening. The Argentians have no legal claim on the Falkland Islands the claim is 100% ours. I think we should pre-emtive strike them for trying to get their allies to apply pressure to Britain. Bit like smacking the bully in its mouth who is bad mouthing you to everybody.

The Argies can get lost. They arent taking a peice of our nation which they once upon a time many centuries ago had a tiny bit of a claim on. Go find your own oil. If they want to try taking it again we should use nukes on them.

Wow, nuking them as well!!

It's amazing how that "piece of our nation" wasn't really considered much at the time when Thatcher was ruling the roost. In fact she almost ditched the islands for free, before the Argie dictatorship decided to force the issue through an invasion. Nobody in the UK at the time really cared less about some arctic turf millions of miles away.

But obviously since then some blood has been spilled and some oil has been found. I don't want to sound cynical but I doubt either side wants the islands for patriotic reasons and because some blood was spilled.

And from your link,

It isn't just down to numbers though is it...it's HOW they are trained.I agree politicians will decide the outcome but we have a big enough force to secure the Islands if Argentina did invade.We will just pull out of Afghanistan and Iraq and leave it to the good old USA....oh no...hang on...they are doing that to us..

Wow, nuking them as well!!

It's amazing how that "piece of our nation" wasn't really considered much at the time when Thatcher was ruling the roost. In fact she almost ditched the islands for free, before the Argie dictatorship decided to force the issue through an invasion. Nobody in the UK at the time really cared less about some arctic turf millions of miles away.

But obviously since then some blood has been spilled and some oil has been found. I don't want to sound cynical but I doubt either side wants the islands for patriotic reasons and because some blood was spilled.

So you're not Austrailian then? lol