Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

History's weirdest fad diets

Still Waters

A government minister is the latest to warn people of the dangers of fad diets, but people have been following them for centuries. Why?

As early as the Greeks and Romans people have been dieting. But while it was largely about health and fitness back then, it's the Victorians who really kick started the fad diet.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...gazine-20695743

In the late 17th./18th. Centuries, obesity (corpulence) was deemed desirable as a sign of wealth and the ability to feast well. (See Hogarth's cartoons). Toward the Victorian era, it was beginning to be realised that the type of foods that caused a person to be overweight, (pies, puddings, etc.) were the very items consumed by the lower classes - Heaven forfend!

Also in Victorian times, it became desirable to look 'romantic' (which usually meant 'consumptive'!) Pale and careworn. You can't pull off that look if you're full of Game Pie!

• Like 1

According to the article, the tapeworm diet can can cause "rectal complications". Guess that's as polite a way as you can put it.

Well people still do two of these diets. People today,ingest tapeworms .

It's not as difficult to get rid of them anymore though .

The instances of fish flukes in Japan,from eating sushi ,is quite high .No one dies from it ,as far as I know.

We are always riddled with parasites ,under even normal conditions .

And its not exactly the same,and its for different reasons,but people ingest bitter almonds ,even today .

Bitter almonds,or apricot pits ,are said to cure cancer .

It is of course,denounced ,by the FDA ,but its quite legal .However,many pits contain arsenic .

Apple seeds,apricots ,a few others .

When on a course of bitter almonds ,its advised to eat small amts initially,to let your body become accustomed to the arsenic .

You gradually eat larger amounts ,on a daily basis .

It's deadly to children however .

And before anyone says,Oh ! How barbaric !

Bitter almonds are used in many foods,including marzipan paste .

If you eat marzipan ,you eat arsenic,without knowing it .

• Like 1

Note on my post above. I made a mistake .Yes yes,I do admit it when I am incorrect .

My poor old brain got cyanide and arsenic confused .

Its cyanide that's in bitter almonds and marzipan .

So the second half of my post is correct about the poisons in the food,just its cyanide .

So its incorrect in regard to the article on diets. Sorry !

See,now here I'm totally wrong ,and no one says a word ,but when I post stuff that's correct,everyone argues with me that I'm a conspiracy theorist .

LOL !

See,now here I'm totally wrong ,and no one says a word ,but when I post stuff that's correct,everyone argues with me that I'm a conspiracy theorist .

LOL !

The reason being, everybody who knows you were incorrect are now dead from arsenic poisoning!

The reason being, everybody who knows you were incorrect are now dead from arsenic poisoning!

*hands on hips*

You're next mister .......

*goes back to grinding up the belladonna*

• Like 1