Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Aussie anti whalers buy Japan govt vessel

Simbi Laveau

http://www.theage.com.au/environment/whale-watch/red-herrings-allow-protest-group-to-target-japans-whaling-fleet-20121210-2b5kf.html

Anti Japan whalers of the Sea Shepard ,covertly bought a Japanese government boat,to use against Japanese whalers.

Japan has warrants for the arrest of some members of the Sea Shepard ,for interfering with their whaling practices .

I think this is awesome ,as I am completely against whaling and dolphin hunts ,in both Japan and Korea .

• Like 4

Oh god, not that bunch of bloody irresponsible pirates again.

• Like 2

That's a pretty good troll

Whose?

Oh god, not that bunch of bloody irresponsible pirates again.

I agree, but what's your opinion of Sea Sheppard? :P

• Like 1

These "anti whalers" need to be arrested and locked away - piracy is a crime :/

So is illegal fishing - which is what the Japanese is doing.

Someone should arrest and shame Japan for cruelty to the Eco system and the whales. :(

• Like 1

Illigal fishing a lot less of a crime then piracy is ;)

Though the whaling should be slowed, this is not the way to go about it. ;)

Then how else do you all suggest we stop the Japanese from completely destroying the ecosystem ?

As they claim its their right to do this ,regardless of the fact they do NOTHING with the whale meat,and it goes to waste .

And its "tradition " ,as that's their rational for not even slowing down . Their ancestors did it,so even though we don't need to do it for food anymore,its our right ,even in waters that aren't ours .

The sea Shepard is doing the right thing,at risk of their lives and freedoms,which most people are too much of a bunch of puss.ies to do .

Individual countries traditions are out weighed by the fact that we share the whole planet.

• Like 2

I am afraid there is nothing illegal at all about where they are fishing, or what for. If that was the case, this would be in the Courts, not on the Oceans.

As long as the Sea Shepard stays on the water, we will have whaling. The only time in history when Whaling stopped had absolutely nothing to do with the Sea Shepard, and the US territorial claim set it all off again. If we could share a little better, there would be enough for everyone. The Sea Shepard incites the Japanese Government, and personally, I think Watson knows this, his antics keep his fleet afloat, volunteers coming in, and investors rolling in funds. The TV shows will continue, and Watson will make many grandiose statements in the paper, then the Whalers will take their catch and com back next year. The SS has been trying this on for decades, and INternational Whaling has only gone backwards with regards to International Whaling.

I saw the Sea Shepard in a Brisbane port about 4 years ago, I marvelled over it. Today I would throw eggs at it. I learned a lot about conservation in the last 4 years, many thanks to Cetacea and Mattshark and that knowledge has completely turned me around on the Sea Shepard efforts.

Someone should arrest and shame Japan for cruelty to the Eco system and the whales. :(

Half right I would say.

Shame is the key. Japanese are a proud people, They shocked the hell out of US soldiers with Kamikaze pilots. I mean who in their right mind would deliberately crash their plane and kill themselves just for a damaging blow??????

Pride keeps Japan whaling. Pride ended the moratorium that ended whaling in the 80's pride keeps the Japanese from being thrown from the High Seas by some jumped up little upstart who throws rancid butter.

You know what, I reckon Watson knows this very, very well.

I feel 2 things will work on Japan with regards to Whaling

1 - Beg. Are we too proud? Japan is part of the International Whaling Commission. It is voluntary. They do not have to be there, they do not have to listen to what is said. Why can we not honor their attendance, and ask them how we can stop whaling??

2 - Make Whaling a shameful act across the globe. A horrendous thing that every single country look down upon with disgust. Right now, Japan is not the only country Whaling, they are the only ones in the spotlight, thanks to Watson. Greenland, Faroe Islands, Iceland, Russia, Korea, all get a free pass and do not have to worry because all the focus is on Japan. Whilst Watson is blowing his own horn about how good he is, many people are covered by his fanfare and whale in peace.

Even Canada whales, but I have no problem with traditional hunts in traditional boats that equate to a small amount that keep a community alive. Watson is keeping Japan on the seas, and whaling at a peak, despite the spin. Many people love a drama, just look at the success of Neighbours of that sands of time show. Watson is giving it to the people in spades. It's not conservation, it's entertainment.

Edited by psyche101
  • Like 2

Then how else do you all suggest we stop the Japanese from completely destroying the ecosystem ?

As they claim its their right to do this ,regardless of the fact they do NOTHING with the whale meat,and it goes to waste .

And its "tradition " ,as that's their rational for not even slowing down . Their ancestors did it,so even though we don't need to do it for food anymore,its our right ,even in waters that aren't ours .

The sea Shepard is doing the right thing,at risk of their lives and freedoms,which most people are too much of a bunch of puss.ies to do .

Greenpeace are doing a much better job, they actually have made some headway. And they have never sunk a single ship.

in May 2008, Greenpeace uncovered a huge scandal; prime cuts of whale meat were being smuggled ashore by the crew of the Japanese whaling factory ship, Nisshin Maru, for illegal trade and personal gain, at the Japanese taxpayer's expense. The story drew massive media coverage in Japan, and the ire of many Japanese people, incensed at the corruption at the heart of the whaling industry. Our work resulted in an investigation of the whaling industry by Tokyo's public prosecutor, and a massive blow to the credibility of Japan's whaling programme.

LINK

That is the sort of thing that will work, and has in the past. The Sea Shepard has not so much as made a dent in decades, it just gets worse every time. Watson buys a boat, The Japanese buy two and twice as big. I reckon if Watson had any balls he would be trying to get some real dirt in these people that would shame them out of whaling, like the above attempt. We canot tell them to stop, but their own people can.

They had to sack Watson Link

He was expelled from the leadership of Greenpeace in 1977 by a vote of 11 to one (only Watson himself voted against it).

Bob Hunter (one of Greenpeace's early leaders, after whom a Sea Shepherd vessel was named) described the event in his book, the Greenpeace Chronicles:

'No one doubted his [Watson's] courage for a moment. He was a great warrior brother. Yet in terms of the Greenpeace gestalt, he seemed possessed by too powerful a drive, too unrelenting a desire to push himself front and centre, shouldering everyone else aside… He had consistently gone around to other offices, acting out the role of mutineer. Everywhere he went, he created divisiveness… We all felt we'd got trapped in a web no one wanted to see develop, yet now that it had, there was nothing to do but bring down the axe, even if it meant bringing it down on the neck of our brother."

Confusion: Greenpeace and Sea Shepherd

Watson founded his own group, Sea Shepherd, in 1977.

- in 1986, Sea Shepherd carried out an action against the Icelandic whaling station in Hvalfjoerdur and sank two Icelandic whaling vessels in Reykjavik harbour by opening their sea valves;[1]

- in December 1992, Sea Shepherd sank the vessel Nybroena in port;[2]

- Sea Shepherd claimed to have sank the Taiwanese drift net ship Jiang Hai in port in Taiwan and to have rammed and disabled four other Asian drift net ships;[3]

- a Canadian court ordered Watson and his former ship, the Cleveland Armory, to pay a total of US$ 35,000 for ramming a Cuban fishing vessel off the coast of Newfoundland in June 1993;[4]

- in January 1994 the group severely damaged the whaling ship Senet in the Norwegian port of Gressvik.[5]

Each of the whaling ships noted above was refloated and refitted for continued whaling.

Not making any impact, but really cheesing a lot of people off, and inciting them to hit back with a renewed effort.

Illigal fishing a lot less of a crime then piracy is ;)

Though the whaling should be slowed, this is not the way to go about it. ;)

And, the fishing is not illegal at all.

Edited by psyche101

they come into Australian waters to do it - nick them, scuttle the boat and send them home in shame.

• Like 2

they come into Australian waters to do it - nick them, scuttle the boat and send them home in shame.

Problem being, the territorial claims are a bit like buying a piece of land o the moon. Officially, our territory has not been breached by global standards, it only extends legally to 12 nautical miles from the coastline. Although we have made larger claims, they are not internationally recognised.

Edited by psyche101

Greenpeace are doing a much better job, they actually have made some headway. And they have never sunk a single ship.

LINK

That is the sort of thing that will work, and has in the past. The Sea Shepard has not so much as made a dent in decades, it just gets worse every time. Watson buys a boat, The Japanese buy two and twice as big. I reckon if Watson had any balls he would be trying to get some real dirt in these people that would shame them out of whaling, like the above attempt. We canot tell them to stop, but their own people can.

They had to sack Watson Link

Not making any impact, but really cheesing a lot of people off, and inciting them to hit back with a renewed effort.

And, the fishing is not illegal at all.

Where is Greenpeace doings a better job ?

This ?hardy.

http://www.greenpeace.org/international/en/campaigns/oceans/whaling/ending-japanese-whaling/

The Shepard actually STOPS them from hunting ,as nothing else does. If that's cheesing people off ,they would all be in jail at Japan request ,which seems to be the opposite of what happens.

So his being sacked,is rather inconsequential in most people's opinions.

The Japanese have no intention of stopping,or slowing up .

http://www.japantoday.com/category/national/view/japan-support-for-whaling-outweighs-opposition-poll

Greenpeace is talking out the left side of its mouth to soothe everyone's butthurt,on both sides.

Nothing has changed AT ALL .

So they waste whale meat ,and actually label dolphin meat as whale and cuttlefish .

So they kill whales,waste the meat,then slaughter dolphins,and label it as whale meat .

Whales around Japan have been found to be radioactive ,why do you think they want the rest of the worlds whales now ?

It's disgusting .

Ever see some Japanese whaling .

http://revmodo.com/2012/06/19/three-quarters-of-japans-ill-gotten-whale-meat-goes-to-waste/

As its lovely .

As is the rejection of a whale sanctuary .

This is too much for them to handle .

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/world_now/2012/07/japan-norway-atlantic-whale-sanctuary.html

And last year the Japanese agreed to stay out of north Atlantic waters,which they repeatedly VIOLATED ,so yes,it was illegal .

I hope the sea Shepard kicks their asses again this year .

Edited by Simbi Laveau

Where is Greenpeace doings a better job ?

This ?hardy.

http://www.greenpeac...panese-whaling/

What, proving illegal activities so Japan actually can be put on the stand, and shaming whaling to it's own people? I'd say that's a good start.

From the link:

Then, in May 2008, Greenpeace uncovered a huge scandal; prime cuts of whale meat were being smuggled ashore by the crew of the Japanese whaling factory ship, Nisshin Maru, for illegal trade and personal gain, at the Japanese taxpayer's expense. The story drew massive media coverage in Japan, and the ire of many Japanese people, incensed at the corruption at the heart of the whaling industry. Our work resulted in an investigation of the whaling industry by Tokyo's public prosecutor, and a massive blow to the credibility of Japan's whaling programme.

The Shepard actually STOPS them from hunting ,as nothing else does. If that's cheesing people off ,they would all be in jail at Japan request ,which seems to be the opposite of what happens.

No, they do not, if anything they incite the Japanese to keep Whaling. The Sea Shepard has been operating for 35 years. Why are the Japanese still in the water?

Whaling actually stopped in 1986, that's right Japan signed a moratorium voluntarily saying they would not kill any more whales, until the US told them where they can fish, Japans took this as an insult, and went back to Whaling. IMHO, this should be a massive red flag. Telling Japan what they can do is going to put Japan on the offensive. You cannot change culture like that.

In the entire history of Whaling, the only time it has stopped on Japans behalf is when table negations were amicable to all. Watson is trying to Bully the Japanese nation. That is not ever going to work.

So his being sacked,is rather inconsequential in most people's opinions.

That a conservation society sacked him? That is significant.

The Japanese have no intention of stopping,or slowing up .

Then why did they stop in 1986?

This ,or dolphin slaughter . They actually label dolphin meat at whale and cuttlefish .

It's disgusting .

Of course they label it. How else do you know what is in the can?

How do you feel about dog and cat human consumption?

Ever see some Japanese whaling .

http://revmodo.com/2...-goes-to-waste/

As its lovely .

Yep indeed, and I do not agree with it for a second, exactly the opposite. I am just pointing out that the Sea Shepard makes things worse while telling people they make things better. It's all a big show for Watson. That is all. I want to see whaling stop, that is why I feel the Sea Shepard should be grounded, and we should try another tactic with Japan. It's been 35 years, how many more until we figure out that one small group of men bullying a proud nation does not work?

Edited by psyche101

What, proving illegal activities so Japan actually can be put on the stand, and shaming whaling to it's own people? I'd say that's a good start.

From the link:

I

No, they do not, if anything they incite the Japanese to keep Whaling. The Sea Shepard has been operating for 35 years. Why are the Japanese still in the water?

Whaling actually stopped in 1986, that's right Japan signed a moratorium voluntarily saying they would not kill any more whales, until the US told them where they can fish, Japans took this as an insult, and went back to Whaling.

In the entire history of Whaling, the only time it has stopped on Japans behalf is when table negations were amicable to all. Watson is trying to Bully the Japanese nation. That is not ever going to work.

That a conservation society sacked him? That is significant.

Then why did they stop in 1986?

Of course they label it. How else do you know what is in the can?

How do you feel about dog and cat human consumption?

Yep indeed, and I do not agree with it for a second, exactly the opposite. I am just pointing out that the Sea Shepard makes things worse while telling people they make things better. It's all a big show for Watson. That is all. I want to see whaling stop, that is why I feel the Sea Shepard should be grounded, and we should try another tactic with Japan. It's been 35 years, how many more until we figure out that one small group of men bullying a proud nation does not work?

And its significant he's arrested and released by every other country ,repeatedly .

You are obviously too naive to get it .

http://animal.discovery.com/tv-shows/whale-wars/about-whaling/legal-debate-scientific-whaling-violation.htm

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/unleashed/2010/06/australia-files-suit-against-japan-over-whaling-japanese-official-says-the-country-will-firmly-respo.html

http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=102x3073762

And they're so shamed ,we can tell by how they keep killing the whales.

And mislabeled whale meat makes sense to you ?

Yah ,ok .

Whatever you say .

And did you miss this link ?

Shame ? WHERE ?

They're laughing at Greenpeace .

http://www.japantoday.com/smartphone/view/national/japan-support-for-whaling-outweighs-opposition-poll

It says,NATIONAL CONSENSUS IN JAPAN IS TO CONTINUE WHALING,DESPITE OUTCRY FROM THE REST OF THE WORLD .

So umm,where are they shamed ? As this poll is from a week ago,so I'm missing the shame ....

Edited by Simbi Laveau

if there's anyone who doesn't think they're a bunch of dangerously irresponsible cowboys, remember how they deliberately parked their boat in front of a Japanese ship so it could hardly avoid ramming it, thus the skipper knowingly put his crew's lives at risk; they're really very little different from terrorists if you ask me.

• Like 2

And its significant he's arrested and released by every other country ,repeatedly .

You are obviously too naive to get it .

http://animal.discov...g-violation.htm

There is no need to go that far, I could call you naive for banging the same drum for 35 years couldn't I?

Ohh LOL, just read your link. Crikey Moses. It's hype!! Notice the page title - Whale Wars! Watsons TV show!!

Who does not know the Japanese are using a loophole in the law?? That does not make their actions illegal.

How do you violate a voluntary treaty? I see they forgot to mention that bit!!

Japan does not have to be part of the IWC, participation is voluntary.

From Wikipedia:

The IWC was created by voluntary agreement among the member nations to function as the sole governing body with authority to act under the International Convention for the Regulation of Whaling which is an international environmental agreement signed in 1946 in order to "provide for the proper conservation of whale stocks and thus make possible the orderly development of the whaling industry" and to implement its economic and environmental goals.

if there's anyone who doesn't think they're a bunch of dangerously irresponsible cowboys, remember how they deliberately parked their boat in front of a Japanese ship so it could hardly avoid ramming it, thus the skipper knowingly put his crew's lives at risk; they're really very little different from terrorists if you ask me.

Indeed, the Cetacean Institute of Research and many countries do officially label them as terrorists. The have sunk ships, they carry guns, vandalised, all sorts of nasty breaches of the law, not sure what more people need.

The crews on both sides know what they are signing on for .Again ,they stop them ,where no laws or talks or bull**** they blow up our ass does.

I hope they do it as many times as it takes,because THIS is what brought the whaling issue to the publics attention .Not anything Greenpeace has done .

People getting into the water at Taiji ,so they couldn't kill the dolphins ,and having warrents out out for their arrest,is what brought the dolphin slaughter to the public eye.

Not anything anyone else was doing .

People put their lives at risk ,to make the true point. I would call those people heros .

Indeed, the Cetacean Institute of Research and many countries do officially label them as terrorists. The have sunk ships, they carry guns, vandalised, all sorts of nasty breaches of the law, not sure what more people need.

Where do I sign up ?