Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Where did Jesus get those ideas, anyway?

GIDEON MAGE

Good morning, I want to unabashedly promote my articles on Examiner.com. My most recent one is: http://www.examiner.com/article/taoism-101-62-tao-te-ching-chapter-62-tao-of-jesus-of-nazareth

Far from wanting to bash Jesus of Nazareth, I'd like to point out that the source of some of his adorable little comments seems to be Lao Tze, a Chinese Philosopher that lived 500 years earlier. There are more than a few examples of this. If anyone is even remootely interested in this topic, I can quote a few more. One of the Ideas purported in the Tao Te Ching is the Idea that, if you completely merge with the Tao, you can become Immortal. Lao Tze himself is honored by some Sects of Taoism as an Immortal. There are even Legends that he taught Siddharta Gautama, the Buddha. Was he still around in the firdt century C.E.? Perhaps he met with Jesus of Nazareth and taught him? It would explain so much. After all, Jesus of Nazareth did teach that we should follow the Tao ("The Way"). Discuss among yourselves.

face palms self repeatetly untill what ive read makes sense

lololol i just wanted to tell you that reading your post made me actually laugh out loud. Thank you :clap:

• Like 1

Good morning, I want to unabashedly promote my articles on Examiner.com. My most recent one is: http://www.examiner....sus-of-nazareth

Far from wanting to bash Jesus of Nazareth, I'd like to point out that the source of some of his adorable little comments seems to be Lao Tze, a Chinese Philosopher that lived 500 years earlier. There are more than a few examples of this. If anyone is even remootely interested in this topic, I can quote a few more. One of the Ideas purported in the Tao Te Ching is the Idea that, if you completely merge with the Tao, you can become Immortal. Lao Tzehimself is honored by some Sects of Taoism as an Immortal. There are even Legends that he taught Siddharta Gautama, the Buddha. Was he still around in the firdt century C.E.? Perhaps he met with Jesus of Nazareth and taught him? It would explain so much. After all, Jesus of Nazareth did teach that we should follow the Tao ("The Way"). Discuss among yourselves.

Gideon, old son, this is ripping stuff! I don't follow any religion, I'm an atheist who was raised as a Christian Protestant, but I have always thought that Jesus did indeed make some 'adorable little comments' that would help one to live one's life well ....... as other spiritual leaders have done, of course. More quotes please!

The only criticism I have of your article is that I can't really see the connection between the two quotes ..... although both of them are admirable.

Regarding your post: I think it's possible that Jesus 'met' Lao Tze in spirit.

Gideon, old son, this is ripping stuff! I don't follow any religion, I'm an atheist who was raised as a Christian Protestant, but I have always thought that Jesus did indeed make some 'adorable little comments' that would help one to live one's life well ....... as other spiritual leaders have done, of course. More quotes please!

The only criticism I have of your article is that I can't really see the connection between the two quotes ..... although both of them are admirable.

Regarding your post: I think it's possible that Jesus 'met' Lao Tze in spirit.

Maybe. I have always been fascinated by the apparent references in the Tao Te Ching to Immortality. Maybe Jesus happened to read the book. There were established trade routes at the time...

I've long felt that Jesus either went east between his childhood and the beginning of his ministry, or he was somehow exposed to eastern philosophy/religion in his own area of the world. I think he heard that type of teaching somewhere and applied it to his own religion.

From his mind. Hell I read some some of my thoughts I written down and they almost sound like his and other spiritual leaders(Same concepts but with less wtf were they smoking involved). People have a tendency to think of the best way to do something if left to their own devices.

• Like 1

Good morning, I want to unabashedly promote my articles on Examiner.com. My most recent one is: http://www.examiner....sus-of-nazareth

Far from wanting to bash Jesus of Nazareth, I'd like to point out that the source of some of his adorable little comments seems to be Lao Tze, a Chinese Philosopher that lived 500 years earlier. There are more than a few examples of this. If anyone is even remootely interested in this topic, I can quote a few more. One of the Ideas purported in the Tao Te Ching is the Idea that, if you completely merge with the Tao, you can become Immortal. Lao Tzehimself is honored by some Sects of Taoism as an Immortal. There are even Legends that he taught Siddharta Gautama, the Buddha. Was he still around in the firdt century C.E.? Perhaps he met with Jesus of Nazareth and taught him? It would explain so much. After all, Jesus of Nazareth did teach that we should follow the Tao ("The Way"). Discuss among yourselves.

These forms of self realisation are quite common. Ive had them myself as a child. and then all my life Once you attain a certain level of consciousness or perhaps just stumble, as I did, upon the cosmic consciousness, many universal truths become obvious.

They are, i guess, always filtered through ones scientific cultural and other knowledge, but the similarities remain. Our consciousnesses are stored in the universal consciousness after death. I dont know if they remain self aware in present time, but one can acces them using your own consciousness. Ie you can access the consciousness of someone who has died and link with that awareness, hold a conversation with it, live within its own historic experiences etc.

Such concepts, like many scientific discoveries, are not made by just one person and then taught or handed down around the world. They are discovered or realised by many many individual people. Some promote them dsme patent them and some become known as the historical starting point for an invention or a concpet.

But this is not true. Such ideas and knowldge spring up spontaneously from within many human minds, because they are truths, and even if forgotten they will re-emerge in people centuries later.

Edited by Mr Walker
  • Like 3

I would say Jesus was an incarnation of God and maybe him and Lao Tze knew each other rather well, perhaps not in humanly form, but they got their ideas from the same life force... Just as Mr. Walker said, people get the same kinds of revelation all the time. For them it may have just been intuitive from the start, and they were bold enough not to question the authority of their inner knowledge and pass it on. We're lucky to have teachers of this sort...

Far from wanting to bash Jesus of Nazareth, I'd like to point out that the source of some of his adorable little comments seems to be Lao Tze, a Chinese Philosopher that lived 500 years earlier. There are more than a few examples of this. If anyone is even remootely interested in this topic, I can quote a few more.

Post more examples .Thanks

Edited by Beckys_Mom

I think there is little historical evidence that the person Lao Tze ever existed, or if he did, wrote the Tao Te Ching. The subject is easly googled.

I think Jesus may have had a spiritual experience, an enlightenment, and the only way he could express this experience was in the local, cultural and religious terms of the time.

Of course, we don't really know what Jesus' original message was, as what has been written down has been edited, added to, changed, compacted, lost in translation, etc.

If Jesus had been born in India, for example, his message would have been expressed in terms of the Hindu or Buddhist culture.

I think his message, which we have a partial account of, is a universal message, available to all of every era.

• Like 3

Who says Jesus ever existed?

Almost every mainstream historian, atheist or otherwise.

Did Gautama Buddha live before Jesus supposedly lived? If so I'd imagine his philosophy could have been passed along. Is this possible? I'm claiming to know. I'm just asking.

Did Gautama Buddha live before Jesus supposedly lived?

Yes, about 500 years or so. The actual life dates are unknown for either man, typical estimates place the Buddha roughly 400 to 600 years before the Christ.

If so I'd imagine his philosophy could have been passed along. Is this possible? I'm claiming to know. I'm just asking.

Yes. Gautama founded monasteries, and the monasteries dispatched missionaries. Some of them could have gone west; the Silk Road was available to them. If not Buddhist missionaries, then Westerners who went east to trade, and brought back stories of India.

However, there is a simpler explanation. The Buddha's contemporary, Heraclitus, had many of the same ideas as Gautama, except that Heraclitus didn't make a religion of it. He did, however, donate his book to a library. Socrates read the book, and taught it to Plato. Plato taught it to Aristotle, and Aristotle taught it to Alexander the Great. Alexander, his generals and their successors imposed Greek culture far and wide, including upon the Jewish homeland.

Moreover, Heraclitus inspired the Stoics, who were everywhere in the post-Alexander Hellenistic world. Philo of Alexandria saw the Stoic-Jewish connection. Jesus might have, too. Justin Martyr, a not quite proto-orthodox early Chrisitan writer called Heraclitus a Christian (as someone who lived "reasonably" before Jesus, First Apology, chapter 46).

http://www.earlychristianwritings.com/text/justinmartyr-firstapology.html

It's just not that difficult for a Hellenistic figure's ideas to resemble the Buddha's.

face palms self repeatetly untill what ive read makes sense

I bet you're still facepalming yourself. I would be.

Sam Harris said it well when comparing Jesus and Mohamed. Jesus was just a hippy really. I agree with that, he has all the right traits of one "peace and love man...woah"

Hippy_Jesus_by_eaola.jpg

It's fairly evident he looked around at the hellhole the Middle East was (is!) and thought "This has to change."

What exactly are you referring to of Christ teachings in making these claims ? If Christ is who the bible identifies him as being several hundreds years prior to his birth, the one that Isaiha prophesied of, the one who would give his life for us all , and by doing so his light will illuminate this world , just like he said it would, who than is Christ? I'm not suggesting we are Christ .

Perhaps it's just wisdom decernable by anyone who thinks/meditates. If its wise, might many wise men come to similar conclusions?

• Like 1

Perhaps it's just wisdom decernable by anyone who thinks/meditates. If its wise, might many wise men come to similar conclusions?

True. But he also knew Greek and we nothing about his early life if dont consider sources out of Bible. So he wasnt geographicly far from center of philosophy.

Also Socrates influence is seen in Jesus words. So we might call Jesus post-Socrates philosopher in sense you want to describe his insights?

Edited by the L