Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

How "Ancient Aliens" have lied to you

• Please log in to reply
201 replies to this topic

#91    booNyzarC

booNyzarC

Forum Divinity

• Closed
  • 13,536 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 02:23 PM

View PostBionic Bigfoot, on 09 October 2012 - 02:14 PM, said:

It is completely relevant and I'm sorry that you don't see that.  It would be the exact same scenario as if I was to produce and create a documentary debunking the bible and the god theory with various reasons why those things aren't possible.  It's your opinion that this film produced by Chris White or whoever brings forth credible reasons to dismiss the ancient alien theory.  So yes and again, if someone blindly puts their faith in the teachings of the bible and god when there is again ZERO physical proof, but then dismisses the ancient alien theory completely like Chris White has done and apparently you too, than that is the very definition of hypocrisy.

The two are completely separate and unrelated.  The two can't even be legitimately compared with each other.

This topic isn't about God, religion, or anything like that.  This topic is about the validity of the claims put forth in the Ancient Aliens series.  That's it.

Chris White's religious beliefs are completely irrelevant to the substance of what he has presented here, and I don't believe that I've said anything regarding my own religious beliefs so I'd appreciate it if you didn't lump me into any perceived religious category that you think you've figured out.

If you have commentary related to the actual content of Chris White's film, that's what this thread is for.  In order to supply that commentary, you'd have to first watch the film or at least portions of the film.  If your intention is to just disparage people of faith, there is an entire section of the forum designed for that kind of interaction and I respectfully submit that you may be better off over there.

#92    Mangoze

Mangoze

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,849 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 02:23 PM

View PostBionic Bigfoot, on 09 October 2012 - 02:14 PM, said:

...  So yes and again, if someone blindly puts their faith in the teachings of the bible and god when there is again ZERO physical proof, but then dismisses the ancient alien theory completely like Chris White has done and apparently you too, than that is the very definition of hypocrisy.
No, that is not the definition of hypocrisy.

#93    synchronomy

synchronomy

Psychic Spy

• 1,124 posts

• Facinating

Posted 09 October 2012 - 02:26 PM

View PostBionic Bigfoot, on 09 October 2012 - 01:51 PM, said:

By the way, the bible dismisses evolution so I don't know if you made a typing error or not when trying to make your point. ;)
I knew that...I guess I should have left out the Bible part.

Ok, I see your point of view and accept it.
I for one have faith that God exists, although it is my own interpretation, think the Bible to be mainly a work of metaphor, believe ancient aliens theories are entirely plausible (in fact probable), although not entirely as AA portrays and I believe without a shadow of doubt, ET's are visiting regularly now.

What offends me about AA is their continual portrayal of their speculative conjecture as fact.
Many people watching this show probably believe ancient Egyptians were a bunch of disorganized morons.  In fact some people at my work were talking about it after I raised the subject a few days ago and that's, in general, the image they had after watching AA.

Edited by synchronomy, 09 October 2012 - 02:41 PM.

At the heart of science is an essential balance between two seemingly contradictory attitudes--an openness to new ideas, no matter how bizarre or counterintuitive they may be, and the most ruthless skeptical scrutiny of all ideas, old and new.
This is how deep truths are winnowed from deep nonsense. -- Carl Sagan

#94    bee

bee

Forum Divinity

• 11,617 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 02:38 PM

View PostbooNyzarC, on 09 October 2012 - 02:03 PM, said:

Besides, you're completely ignoring the content of what he has put together in order to just attack the man.  Have you learned this tactic from some of those evil debunkers who are critical of some of your pet projects? :P

I might have.....what's good for the goose is good for the gander... ;)

After making comments here I will make the effort to watch some of the video

even though it has been made by someone who I might privately think is a bit of a religious nutter (whoops that's not private any more.. :P )

Unless I find that it's toooooo boring...lol

ps...I like the snow...

(booN's avatar)

Edited by bee, 09 October 2012 - 02:42 PM.

#95    Bionic Bigfoot

Bionic Bigfoot

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 127 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 02:46 PM

View PostbooNyzarC, on 09 October 2012 - 02:23 PM, said:

This topic isn't about God, religion, or anything like that.  This topic is about the validity of the claims put forth in the Ancient Aliens series.  That's it.

Chris White's religious beliefs are completely irrelevant to the substance of what he has presented here, and I don't believe that I've said anything regarding my own religious beliefs so I'd appreciate it if you didn't lump me into any perceived religious category that you think you've figured out.

This is why I asked the posters in this topic who believed in god.  I wanted to understand where their beliefs lay and what their perspective is. ;)

View PostbooNyzarC, on 09 October 2012 - 02:23 PM, said:

If you have commentary related to the actual content of Chris White's film, that's what this thread is for.  In order to supply that commentary, you'd have to first watch the film or at least portions of the film.  If your intention is to just disparage people of faith, there is an entire section of the forum designed for that kind of interaction and I respectfully submit that you may be better off over there.

I thoroughly doubt I'll be watching the debunking of ancient aliens, well....maybe one day when I have time I will.

Perhaps this topic is placed in the wrong forum then?  It's in the ancient mysteries and alternative theories forum.  Now that it seems likely that Chris White's video and his ideas are based on his religious beliefs, maybe this topic should be moved to the spirituality, religion and beliefs forum and to avoid any confusion.

Edited by Bionic Bigfoot, 09 October 2012 - 02:47 PM.

#96    Oniomancer

Oniomancer

Soulless Minion Of Orthodoxy

• 3,557 posts

• Question everything

Posted 09 October 2012 - 02:57 PM

View PostBionic Bigfoot, on 09 October 2012 - 01:06 PM, said:

I had viewed the video a few days ago on YouTube itself and saw his channel about ministries etc. ;)

It most certainly does.  If a person believes in God then they are placing their faith in something that isn't proven to exist.  We have no physical proof god exists and other than people who claim to have been sent a message, had a miracle happen, or been visited by the holy spirit, it's all a theory.  Well, the same is true about the theory of ancient aliens and what they might have done in the past to help mankind in various ways.  We have no physical proof that aliens helped build the pyramids or visited our early ancestors, but some of us believe it's certainly possible.  SO....if you're a believer in the "God" theory and dismiss the ancient alien theory, then you're a hypocrite.

The problem with this is the the fact that AA, as originaly presented in Chariots of the Gods?, itself procedes from a position of belief that the deities of mythology are/were real rather than imaginary. Van Doniken himself came to his subject by way of being a student of theology.

Mister White is justified in his critique in that AA constitues a direct attack on his religion not so much as a religion but on it's nature and origin, using it own aspects, that is as literal truth taken on faith, which places his opponents on an equal footing, and so with equal fault as such exists.

I would add though that going by the summery given by the OP, he really isn't saying anything we here havn't come up with on our own.

Edited by Oniomancer, 09 October 2012 - 02:58 PM.

"Apparently the Lemurians drank Schlitz." - Intrepid "Real People" reporter on finding a mysterious artifact in the depths of Mount Shasta.

#97    synchronomy

synchronomy

Psychic Spy

• 1,124 posts

• Facinating

Posted 09 October 2012 - 02:57 PM

View PostBionic Bigfoot, on 09 October 2012 - 02:46 PM, said:

Now that it seems likely that Chris White's video and his ideas are based on his religious beliefs, maybe this topic should be moved to the spirituality, religion and beliefs forum and to avoid any confusion.
No!
This topic is about Ancient Aliens, the TV show and how they portray their evidence.  It belongs in this forum.
Chris White's motivation may be based on his beliefs, but we need to examine the facts he is presenting.

Now, a thought popped to mind.  Is Chris White this guys real name? Or is it a pseudonym for maybe ... white=pure, chris=Christian.
Reminds me a bit of Ernest Angely.

At the heart of science is an essential balance between two seemingly contradictory attitudes--an openness to new ideas, no matter how bizarre or counterintuitive they may be, and the most ruthless skeptical scrutiny of all ideas, old and new.
This is how deep truths are winnowed from deep nonsense. -- Carl Sagan

#98    Harte

Harte

Supremely Educated Knower of Everything in Existence

• 11,197 posts

• Skeptic

Posted 09 October 2012 - 03:02 PM

View Postbee, on 09 October 2012 - 02:20 PM, said:

that's me and Chris White then....isn't it....lol

(if you apply the same standards)

http://chriswhitemin...com/?page_id=27
nice bit of cherry picking from the Chris White Ministries, Harte.... :D.

Again, there is a difference between faith and evidence.  Please show me where Chris White has listed any actual physical evidence for his belief system.

Now, contrast that with the actual, physical evidence presented in the film which demonstrates with an absolute, infallible certainty that Giorgio and Co. have lied to you and any other viewers.

When you pretend that these two situatiions are the "same thing," you display an inordinant amount of ignorance.

Harte

Posted Image
See the new Harte Mark III
And the Mayan panoramas on my pyramid pajamas haven't helped my little problem. - The Alan Parsons Project
Most people would die sooner than think; in fact, they do so. - Bertrand Russell
Anybody like Coleridge?

#99    Bionic Bigfoot

Bionic Bigfoot

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 127 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 03:07 PM

View Postsynchronomy, on 09 October 2012 - 02:57 PM, said:

Chris White's motivation may be based on his beliefs, but we need to examine the facts he is presenting.

IF this is true and it's seeming very likely that it is, then his views and theories debunking ancient aliens are skewed and impartial.  I would love to debunk the debunking video, but I really don't have the desire to watch 3 hours worth.  And besides, even if I did watch the video and had counter opinions, people would just tell me again that I have no proof or evidence to counter the material in the video.

#100    Harte

Harte

• 11,197 posts

• Skeptic

Posted 09 October 2012 - 03:48 PM

View PostBionic Bigfoot, on 09 October 2012 - 03:07 PM, said:

IF this is true and it's seeming very likely that it is, then his views and theories debunking ancient aliens are skewed and impartial.  I would love to debunk the debunking video, but I really don't have the desire to watch 3 hours worth.  And besides, even if I did watch the video and had counter opinions, people would just tell me again that I have no proof or evidence to counter the material in the video.
As I stated in the OP, the vid is broken down into several different clips on different pages of the site.

On each of these pages, there is a textual summary of what is in that section of the video.

So, you don't need to watch even a second of any video.

Harte

Posted Image
And the Mayan panoramas on my pyramid pajamas haven't helped my little problem. - The Alan Parsons Project
Most people would die sooner than think; in fact, they do so. - Bertrand Russell
Anybody like Coleridge?

#101    bee

bee

Forum Divinity

• 11,617 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 04:03 PM

View PostHarte, on 09 October 2012 - 03:48 PM, said:

As I stated in the OP, the vid is broken down into several different clips on different pages of the site.

On each of these pages, there is a textual summary of what is in that section of the video.

So, you don't need to watch even a second of any video.

Harte

lol...Chris White and his team at the Chris White Ministries have catered for everyone.....

but I think the underlying message is......"There is no God but MY God."

"I can't prove my God exists.....but the Ancient Alien programme can't prove their 'Gods' exist either....so there!"

ya boo sucks

#102    cladking

cladking

Non-Corporeal Being

• 8,498 posts

• Tempus fugit.

Posted 09 October 2012 - 04:08 PM

View Postbee, on 09 October 2012 - 04:03 PM, said:

lol...Chris White and his team at the Chris White Ministries have catered for everyone.....

but I think the underlying message is......"There is no God but MY God."

"I can't prove my God exists.....but the Ancient Alien programme can't prove their 'Gods' exist either....so there!"

ya boo sucks

Believers always miss this point.

It's surprising they do miss it since there are literally hundreds of religions on earth which each
have the one true path to the one true God.  I guess everyone is just lucky to have been born
into the one true religion or science.

Men fear the pyramid, time fears man.

#103    Harte

Harte

• 11,197 posts

• Skeptic

Posted 09 October 2012 - 05:14 PM

This continued comncentration on religion appears to be the only path left to people that want so badly to believe in the ancient aliens line of crap that they will grasp at any straw.

Too bad these people are not desperate enough to take a look at the actual evidence presented.

Harte

Posted Image
Anybody like Coleridge?

#104    bee

bee

Forum Divinity

• 11,617 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 05:32 PM

View PostHarte, on 09 October 2012 - 05:14 PM, said:

This continued comncentration on religion appears to be the only path left to people that want so badly to believe in the ancient aliens line of crap that they will grasp at any straw.

Too bad these people are not desperate enough to take a look at the actual evidence presented.

Harte

truth be told....it's you that is coming over as a bit desperate....and very keen for people to watch the video or

read the textual summaries....

so a TV show might contain some inaccuracies.

so what

that's hardly earth shattering

I've watched some of your video now and I'm not overly impressed.

#105    Harte

Harte

• 11,197 posts

• Skeptic

Posted 09 October 2012 - 05:37 PM

And you absolutely shouldn't be, if you've read any of my posts over the years (most of them before the show was even made) that concerned the inane claims the show has made.

Harte

Posted Image
Anybody like Coleridge?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users