Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Is Orangutan Culture Made of Ideas?

orangutan culture cognition

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1    Insanity

Insanity

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 586 posts

• "Men of broader intellect know that there is no sharp distinction betwixt the real and the unreal..." - H.P. Lovecraft, "The Tomb", Published 1922

Posted 28 December 2012 - 03:59 AM

Is Orangutan Culture Made of Ideas?

The chimpanzee’s clever use of sticks to fish for termites is fairly well known. In 1964, Jane Goodall announced her groundbreaking discovery to the world, writing in the journal Nature, “During three years in the Gombe Stream Chimpanzee Reserve in Tanganyika, East Africa, I saw chimpanzees use natural objects as tools on many occasions. These objects consisted of sticks, stalks, stems and twigs, which were used mainly in connexion with eating insects, and leaves which were used as ‘drinking tools’ and for wiping various parts of the body.” While the collection of non-human animals known to use tools has expanded significantly in the nearly fifty years since Goodall watched her first Gombe chimp, the act of shoving sticks into termite mounds and snacking on the termites clinging to it has become the iconic example of non-human tool use, the model by which we judge all other possible forms. Perhaps lesser known is that another ape, the Sumatran orangutan (Pongo abelii), also fishes with sticks. Instead of fishing for termites, they fish for honey.

http://blogs.scientificamerican.com/thoughtful-animal/2012/12/20/is-orangutan-culture-made-of-ideas/

"We see things only as we are constructed to see them, and can gain no idea of their absolute nature. With five feeble senses we pretend to comprehend the boundlessly complex cosmos, yet other beings with wider, stronger, or different range of senses might not only see very differently the things we see, but might see and study whole worlds of matter, energy, and life which lie close at hand yet can never be detected with the senses we have." - H.P. Lovecraft, "From Beyond" Published 1934

#2    ReaperS_ParadoX

ReaperS_ParadoX

“What’s wrong with accepting madness?

• 2,521 posts

• The boundaries which divide Life from Death are at best shadowy and vague. Who shall say where the one ends, and where the other begins?

Posted 28 December 2012 - 05:35 AM

Iv seen chimps use stones to break up hard things as well such as hard nuts, and I would assume that most apes use some form of tool

Edited by R4z3rsPar4d0x, 28 December 2012 - 05:36 AM.

COME WITH ME. OVERWHELMING POWER AND MADNESS AWAIT

THAT IS NOT DEAD WHICH CAN ETERNAL LIE AND WITH STRANGE AEONS EVEN DEATH MAY DIE

#3    FurthurBB

FurthurBB

Government Agent

• 3,380 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 01:33 PM

View PostR4z3rsPar4d0x, on 28 December 2012 - 05:35 AM, said:

Iv seen chimps use stones to break up hard things as well such as hard nuts, and I would assume that most apes use some form of tool

The best ones I have seen are mountain gorillas and chimpanzees disabling traps.  http://news.national...000/8962747.stm

Also tagged with orangutan, culture, cognition

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users