Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Göbekli Tepe-10 000 BC

• Please log in to reply
297 replies to this topic

#61    Oniomancer

Oniomancer

Soulless Minion Of Orthodoxy

• 3,176 posts

• Question everything

Posted 16 February 2011 - 12:16 AM

View Postthe L, on 15 February 2011 - 11:22 PM, said:

How do you know it was randomly carved?
I meant haphazardly, as in a disorganized fashion.

There are actual human statues at the site:

http://mathildasanth...e-gobekli-tepe/

So if these are supposed to be priests, why don't they look like priests instead of a bunch of flat slabs covered with assorted animal carvings?

"Apparently the Lemurians drank Schlitz." - Intrepid "Real People" reporter on finding a mysterious artifact in the depths of Mount Shasta.

#62    lightly

lightly

metaphysical therapist

• 5,428 posts

• "The future ain't what it used to be"
    Yogi Berra

Posted 16 February 2011 - 12:29 PM

View Postjules99, on 14 February 2011 - 11:40 PM, said:

The base of that statue looks like a hand grip. What are its dimensions?  :unsure2:

third_eye's post #54 link says it is 2M ....  Oniomancer's link (above)  says it is Lifesize.

hi  Flashbangwollap ,  far as i know,   i don't think anyone believe's either site had a roof.

Important:  The above may contain errors, inaccuracies, omissions, and other limitations.

#63    Flashbangwollap

Flashbangwollap

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 957 posts

• What is the bottom line?

Posted 16 February 2011 - 01:57 PM

View Postlightly, on 16 February 2011 - 12:29 PM, said:

third_eye's post #54 link says it is 2M ....  Oniomancer's link (above)  says it is Lifesize.

hi  Flashbangwollap ,  far as i know,   i don't think anyone believe's either site had a roof.

Hi Lightly long time no talk.

Shame that but perhaps the contact for them with nature was more important than privacy. Prohaps council meeting places then?

Do you know of anyone doing the alignment thing yet, any links net wise with this idea? Not lazy just running low on allowance again.:devil:

#64    jules99

jules99

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,028 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 09:43 PM

View Postlightly, on 16 February 2011 - 12:29 PM, said:

Thanks Lightly;
Re the moa with the priestly hands, Ive found similar in Sulawesi;

http://www.unspecial...NS_630_T25.html

Mebbe its just a blokey thing, very priestly though :devil: .

#65    Flashbangwollap

Flashbangwollap

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 957 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 10:05 PM

View Postjules99, on 16 February 2011 - 09:43 PM, said:

Thanks Lightly;

:lol::lol: If You could only read my mind right now. There again maybe you can.

Also see The Puzzlers old post for uses of the Gobekli Tepe's large stone's sculptures. Can't seem to drag then over here?

Edited by Flashbangwollap, 16 February 2011 - 10:16 PM.

#66    lightly

lightly

metaphysical therapist

• 5,428 posts

Yogi Berra

Posted 17 February 2011 - 01:52 AM

View Postjules99, on 16 February 2011 - 09:43 PM, said:

Thanks Lightly;

yw .. those  are Great !  ..  the Priestly one is going in my collection  :lol:

Hi Flashbangwollap,    Ya ...  meeting places for sure .

Important:  The above may contain errors, inaccuracies, omissions, and other limitations.

#67    jules99

jules99

Psychic Spy

• 1,028 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 08:14 AM

View Postlightly, on 17 February 2011 - 01:52 AM, said:

yw .. those  are Great !  ..  the Priestly one is going in my collection  :lol:

Hi Flashbangwollap,    Ya ...  meeting places for sure .
I was mulling this thought over but let it go but will put it to words anyway. What are the odds of the same pose being found in Göbekli Tepe, Easter Island and Sulawesi. Ive not really searched that hard so there might be heaps more.
Its probably just the simplest way of carving that led to the commonality, what do you think?

#68    lightly

lightly

metaphysical therapist

• 5,428 posts

Yogi Berra

Posted 17 February 2011 - 01:06 PM

View Postjules99, on 17 February 2011 - 08:14 AM, said:

I was mulling this thought over but let it go but will put it to words anyway. What are the odds of the same pose being found in Göbekli Tepe, Easter Island and Sulawesi. Ive not really searched that hard so there might be heaps more.
Its probably just the simplest way of carving that led to the commonality, what do you think?

I don't know Jules...  why not hands  at the sides then?   Why so often  at the navel, or thereabouts ?  I've been looking for them since while searching for Mother Goddess figures  i started finding  masculine images with the same hands position.   I think there is a common and very enduring belief behind the position of the hands.   It always makes me think soul  or life force for some reason.  ( just a feeling i get )
As you say.. what are the odds?  I think it is a shared idea..   and very very old.
The V neck thing too...  that is really the part i think of as priestly.  I've seen that crop up here and there too.
Wish i'd have saved the V neck images i've encountered .   Another poster showed quite a few examples of that... i've forgotten which thread it was.

Edited by lightly, 17 February 2011 - 01:19 PM.

#69    lightly

lightly

metaphysical therapist

• 5,428 posts

Yogi Berra

Posted 17 February 2011 - 01:22 PM

couldn't attach this afterthought to my other post ....    OLMECAttached File  olmec.jpg   92.25K   21 downloads

#70    third_eye

third_eye

¤_Ě M ă Ġ î ń Ć Ř Ī ü Ş_ ¤

• 6,824 posts

• "Legio nomen mihi est, quia multi sumus"

God has no religion ~ Mahatma Gandhi

Posted 17 February 2011 - 03:44 PM

the hands on the sides probably is the most economical way in terms of effort to form and use of material it seems

most probably brought over from the earlier forms of wood sculpture which also share the characteristic

View Postthe L, on 15 February 2011 - 11:07 PM, said:

Third eye. Awesome link. Thanks man. Artifacts are great...

Most welcome

' ... life and death carry on as they always have ~ and always will, only the dreamer is gone ~ behind the flow of imagination, beyond any effort to be still
dancing in the ebb and flow of attention, more present than the breath, I find the origins of my illusions, only the dreamer is gone ~ the dream never ends
'

GIFTS WITH NO GIVER - a love affair with truth ~ Poems by Nirmala

third_eye ' s cavern ~ bring own beer

#71    Ove

Ove

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 605 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 10:34 PM

View PostOniomancer, on 15 February 2011 - 11:18 PM, said:

Why would statues of priests have lizards and scorpions and birds (Oh my!) carved randomly all over them?
The priests are the creators of animals, of new life. The purpose of the gatherings inside the stone circles, is the creation of new life, together with the great creators, the stone age priests.

Edited by Ove, 17 February 2011 - 10:34 PM.

#72    third_eye

third_eye

¤_Ě M ă Ġ î ń Ć Ř Ī ü Ş_ ¤

• 6,824 posts

• "Legio nomen mihi est, quia multi sumus"

God has no religion ~ Mahatma Gandhi

Posted 18 February 2011 - 05:52 AM

View PostOve, on 17 February 2011 - 10:34 PM, said:

The priests are the creators of animals, of new life. The purpose of the gatherings inside the stone circles, is the creation of new life, together with the great creators, the stone age priests.

or maybe a designation of a particular tribe, name, place or status ?

' ... life and death carry on as they always have ~ and always will, only the dreamer is gone ~ behind the flow of imagination, beyond any effort to be still
dancing in the ebb and flow of attention, more present than the breath, I find the origins of my illusions, only the dreamer is gone ~ the dream never ends
'

GIFTS WITH NO GIVER - a love affair with truth ~ Poems by Nirmala

third_eye ' s cavern ~ bring own beer

#73    jules99

jules99

Psychic Spy

• 1,028 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 06:50 AM

View Postthird_eye, on 18 February 2011 - 05:52 AM, said:

or maybe a designation of a particular tribe, name, place or status ?
In some ancient religions a particular animal will be like family to a person, and accordingly against all laws to be slaughtered or eaten by that individual, Within a group separate families may each have a kindred creature. This totem animal unites the particular family or group and marriage or hanky panky within each particular totem animal group is forbidden. To protect against incest presumably and in this instance punishable by death;

http://books.google.... person&f=false

This is from Australian native law...It may or maynot be applicable here buts its an interesting possibility.

#74    jules99

jules99

Psychic Spy

• 1,028 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 09:19 AM

View Postlightly, on 17 February 2011 - 01:06 PM, said:

I don't know Jules...  why not hands  at the sides then?   Why so often  at the navel, or thereabouts ?  I've been looking for them since while searching for Mother Goddess figures  i started finding  masculine images with the same hands position.   I think there is a common and very enduring belief behind the position of the hands.   It always makes me think soul  or life force for some reason.  ( just a feeling i get )
As you say.. what are the odds?  I think it is a shared idea..   and very very old.
The V neck thing too...  that is really the part i think of as priestly.  I've seen that crop up here and there too.
Wish i'd have saved the V neck images i've encountered .   Another poster showed quite a few examples of that... i've forgotten which thread it was.
I think its gotta be a universal thing, like marking territory, or announcing "tough blokes here look out" or similar. Warding off strangers and protecting the women, with a universal masculine gesture, thats probably been known from an early age to intimidate other males.
Its the only way I could justify the stance appearing so widespread, there are probably many other reasons, this one just came to me.

Edited by jules99, 18 February 2011 - 09:34 AM.

#75    Flashbangwollap

Flashbangwollap

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 957 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 10:29 AM

View Postjules99, on 18 February 2011 - 09:19 AM, said:

I think its gotta be a universal thing, like marking territory, or announcing "tough blokes here look out" or similar. Warding off strangers and protecting the women, with a universal masculine gesture, thats probably been known from an early age to intimidate other males.
Its the only way I could justify the stance appearing so widespread, there are probably many other reasons, this one just came to me.

Yes I think this is perhaps the most logical reason for the hand positions. The English Bobby used to be seen walking on his beat with his hands behind his back but holding his truncheon ready for any mischief. One supposes this is the reverse of a priest who isn't hiding anything with having his hands in full view but ready to defend (the faith) metaphorically speaking.

This seems counter to answers so far but fits more with religious ideas to me. To learn more on early religion you need only read Kmt's posts which are very good imo and usually found on Egyptian subjects.

Edited by Flashbangwollap, 18 February 2011 - 10:47 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users