Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Viking Outpost Found in Canada

Big Bad Voodoo

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2012/10/121019-viking-outpost-second-new-canada-science-sutherland/

For the past 50 years—since the discovery of a thousand-year-old Viking way station in Newfoundland—archaeologists and amateur historians have combed North America's east coast searching for traces of Viking visitors.

It has been a long, fruitless quest, littered with bizarre claims and embarrassing failures. But at a conference in Canada earlier this month, archaeologist Patricia Sutherland announced new evidence that points strongly to the discovery of the second Viking outpost ever discovered in the Americas.

• Like 2

thanks for posting this!

It's a great article. :)

I just hope oneday they will find the site of the Vinland settlement (Hop). :D

Cheers.

• Like 1

It was my pleasure. Im glad that I can help.

It was a help too :tu:

I have a growing collection of Norse/New-world articles and finds, etc. I keep adding to them. Lol, it's like an addiction :w00t: And it's a whole chapter of human history most people don't want to exist.

Then here is something interesting what I recently posted. Enjoy.

http://www.unexplain...howtopic=233135

Whats even more interesting is Eskimo crossing from Siberia into America in 10/11 century and soon they fight with Vikings.

*Snip*

Edited by Still Waters
Removed copyrighted image

Vikings I think fought with everyone but a brave adventurous lot. Thanks for posting.

Wow. That's so cool. I think this is totally neat. I'll read the article later.

Didn't Leif Erickson actually discover the Americas before Columbus?

yes

Though technically "discovering america" is a pretty eurocentric viewpoint. Its not really possible to "discover" a place that is already populated by humans. Just sayin...

Technically it was a merchant sailer named Bjarni Herjolfsson. Who was blown off course on his way to Greenland and sighted Markland (ie, Newfoundland/Labrador) and returned to tell his tale. He was most likely the first european in an age to step foot in the Americas.

Edited by Bavarian Raven

How fascinating were those Vikings .. They were much much more than mere barbarians ..

• Like 1

Though technically "discovering america" is a pretty eurocentric viewpoint. Its not really possible to "discover" a place that is already populated by humans. Just sayin...

Ok, if this makes you feel better. Between Erickson and Columbus who was first to land in the Americas. Just sayin...

How fascinating were those Vikings .. They were much much more than mere barbarians .

I know! they were skilled seafarers, traders, farmers, merchants, mercenaries, explorers - explorers that in all likelihood explored the vast majority of the eastern US/Canada/Canadian arctic, travelled from the norse lands far into central asia, north africa, and all throughout europe.

I found this article today.

Further investigation to be done. It could predate Viking visits to Canada by a long time!

http://www.ottawasun...arly-as-2000-bc

i've always been of the mind that early people travelled far more then we give them credit for. there have always been young men(and women too) who want to know what's over the horizon :D

This just probes that Columbus was simply a tourist

A tourist who (recently appears to have) had spent time in Iceland - literally only a decade or two after greenland settlement vanished. An iceland who would have still had survivors who had journeyed from Greenland to North America. Minor details though :whistle:

I would love to see a game based off Viking and Norse Mythology. It could be like the Oblivion and Skyrim style game play, but with the shape of the world back when Vikings and Norse people roamed the world. Settlements and petty wars could definitely make the game extremely fun!

• Like 1

I found this article today.

Further investigation to be done. It could predate Viking visits to Canada by a long time!

http://www.ottawasun...arly-as-2000-bc

Didn't Barry Fell already suggest this? And most if not all of what Fell claimed to be ancient European and Mediterranean script (Celtic, Celt-Iberian, Libyan, Phoenician), has been disproved by science, as far as I know.

• 4 weeks later...

It would be interesting to see how these visits correlated with extreme climate change. Were these explorers hugging the coastlines of polar ice floe in colder years allowing them to travel further eastward. If so, it really seems possible they could have traveled much further south along the Atlantic coast and established settlements to weather the winters.