Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

PETA Condemns Pokemon 'Animal Abuse'

Hasina

PETA wages war on Pokemon for virtual animal cruelty

Pokemon has begun his struggle for freeman and liberation, fighting his trainers, doling out group hugs and going to protests... in PETA's alternate universe, that is.

The animal rights group has launched a campaign against Pokemon Black and White 2, saying that the game condones animal cruelty and that its creatures are treated like abused animals.

"The amount of time that Pokemon spend stuffed in pokeballs is akin to how elephants are chained up in train carts, waiting to be let out to 'perform' in circuses," PETA wrote on its Web site. "But the difference between real life and this fictional world full of organized animal fighting is that Pokémon games paint rosy pictures of things that are actually horrible."

Source: http://news.cnet.com...animal-cruelty/

Edited by Hasina
  • Like 2

I would say if the biggest issue in animal abuse in this world is Pokemon, we have taken a turn for the better.

• Like 4

Apparently PETA is under the (erroneous) assumption that "Any Publicity is Good Publicity"...

• Like 6

None of the vegetarians and vegans I know (including myself) support or even approve of PETA. I wonder where the heck they get their funding from? I've always imagined that Ingrid Newkirk has a huge inheritance.

• Like 2

Talking of Pokemon cruelty...

How do you get 1,000,000 Pikachus on bus.............?

You poke 'em on...

This small print is in place to officially apologise for the poor quality of the above joke, it in no way represents the sense of humour of 'Junior Chubb' or is affiliates.

Edited by Junior Chubb
  • Like 7

None of the vegetarians and vegans I know (including myself) support or even approve of PETA. I wonder where the heck they get their funding from? I've always imagined that Ingrid Newkirk has a huge inheritance.

'Lone Voice' here: I support and approve of PETA. I think they're right to criticise the content of childrens' games. Posters here are saying the creatures are imaginary, which is obviously true, BUT ....... they(the posters), are not children! Young children can't always distinguish between what's real and what isn't, even when they say they CAN, if asked! Facts and falsehoods are all soaked up equally by young brains and no discrimination is applied.

• Like 1

Well obviously Peta is late to the boat on this or they would have gone after this game along time ago.

(not pokemon)

[media=]

[/media]

geez in this game you can even beat your creature...boy they going after the soft pitch stuff

Why not just make PETA a character in the game, and settle this the old-fashioned way ...

• Like 4

'Lone Voice' here: I support and approve of PETA. I think they're right to criticise the content of childrens' games. Posters here are saying the creatures are imaginary, which is obviously true, BUT ....... they(the posters), are not children! Young children can't always distinguish between what's real and what isn't, even when they say they CAN, if asked! Facts and falsehoods are all soaked up equally by young brains and no discrimination is applied.

idk i never met a kid when i was younger that thought pokemon was real, but if the show is so bad then let the parents censor it from their kids.
  • Like 2

I'm so sick of PETA.

Something we agree on imaginary number :clap:

THat being said, it's people like PETA and Greenpeace that give environmentalists bad reps. :td:

~

ust out of curiosity, is there anything in society that PETA does like?

government funding

Edited by Bavarian Raven
  • Like 1

I'm sorry Ouija, but that's a load of crap. Pure & simple. I played this game when I was 13 & it didn't make me join an organized chinchilla fighting ring. I also played final fantasy at earlier ages but I didn't try to attack random people & woodland creatures with a sword & fireballs. There's one thing that can be blamed for a child taking this out hand... THE PARENTS. There's only two situations in which a child is going to take this pastime too far. 1. The child is mentally ill, in which case their parent/s should damn well know better than to allow their child to view ANY form of media without supervision & 2: The child had been sat in front of a TV/game console their entire life & thinks this is a form of education. At that point the child might as well fall under category 1 again. In this situation the parent is to blame yet again.

When did we as a society decide, "Why educate my child myself? Why give them the knowledge of a life time of experience? Why stop & take interest in my Childs day to day life? Why get to know them at all? After all, I have TV, Playstation & internet to teach them everything. I can just go to work (hopefully) & then come home & kick my feet up. After all my child is a self sustaining lifeform that only needs me to bring home the bacon."

It's very sad that we blame everyone but ourselves when it comes to the shortcomings of our children. GROW THE ____ UP PEOPLE! We created them, the least we can do it's take an interest in their life & to make them into better people than we are. How are children supposed to act if their only rolemodels are from videogames, TV & the ol' interwebs here? The idea that this topic is even in existence (thank you PETA) makes me sick. Raise your own children. The"it takes a village" motto is an antiquated notion these days. & even if it wasn't, it wasn't referring to a village of STRANGERS!

from the desk of,

Lord Biff Wellington Esq.

Edited by Biff Wellington
  • Like 7

I'm sorry Ouija, but that's a load of crap. Pure & simple. I played this game when I was 13 & it didn't make me join an organized chinchilla fighting ring. I also played final fantasy at earlier ages but I didn't try to attack random people & woodland creatures with a sword & fireballs. There's one thing that can be blamed for a child taking this out hand... THE PARENTS. There's only two situations in which a child is going to take this pastime too far. 1. The child is mentally ill, in which case their parent/s should damn well know better than to allow their child to view ANY form of media without supervision & 2: The child had been sat in front of a TV/game console their entire life & thinks this is a form of education. At that point the child might as well fall under category 1 again. In this situation the parent is to blame yet again.

When did we as a society decide, "Why educate my child myself? Why give them the knowledge of a life time of experience? Why stop & take interest in my Childs day to day life? Why get to know them at all? After all, I have TV, Playstation & internet to teach them everything. I can just go to work (hopefully) & then come home & kick my feet up. After all my child is a self sustaining lifeform that only needs me to bring home the bacon."

It's very sad that we blame everyone but ourselves when it comes to the shortcomings of our children. GROW THE ____ UP PEOPLE! We created them, the least we can do it's take an interest in their life & to make them into better people than we are. How are children supposed to act if their only rolemodels are from videogames, TV & the ol' interwebs here? The idea that this topic is even in existence (thank you PETA) makes me sick. Raise your own children. The"it takes a village" motto is an antiquated notion these days. & even if it wasn't, it wasn't referring to a village of STRANGERS!

from the desk of,

Lord Biff Wellington Esq.

I find your reply a tad confusing. You start by saying that what I said was a load of crap, but most of the rest of your post seems to be supporting what I said! About half of my working life was spent looking after and educating children ...... I know what I'm talking about. You say you were 13 when you were playing this game, I was thinking of children quite a bit younger than that. Re-reading what you wrote, I think you're being unnecessarily facetious at the start of your post ......... which is a shame because reading further on, it's obvious that you are genuinely concerned about the way so many children are left to bring themselves up. (Perhaps I simply didn't get your joke?)

idk i never met a kid when i was younger that thought pokemon was real, but if the show is so bad then let the parents censor it from their kids.

I didn't explain myself clearly: of course children will say they know that Pokemon isn't real, but what I am saying is that once the information is in the brain, whether it's fuzzy animals fighting on a screen or their own parents fighting, the brain can't distinguish between the two. So, if a child spends all it's time looking at fighting(real or imaginary), it is likely that this will either affect the behaviour of the child directly(depending on the nature of the child), or will affect it's view of the world and the level of violence it finds acceptable there. This effect will be increased if parents show approval of the games and act as if the content is acceptable.

Just out of curiosity, is there anything in society that PETA does like?

There's an awful lot of bad stuff in the world!

Well my kids are 20 and 21 so it's too late for them. They still play this game. Black and White.

I get sick of PETA, they can go overboard sometimes.

In this case they are afraid this will teach kids that treating animals badly is fine and it could. Wouldn't have to be that way if parents would explain to them cartoons aren't real life and know what their kids are looking at.

Something we agree on imaginary number :clap:

There had to be at least one thing! :tu:

THat being said, it's people like PETA and Greenpeace that give environmentalists bad reps. :td:

Very true. I'm all about animal and environmental conservation. I also don't have to attack things like pokemon to do it. I volunteer at the local wildlife shelter. I've seen a lot of messed up animals come in there, including ones that people have injured, but I've never seen or even heard of an animal being injured because of pokemon.

government funding

I believe that the majority of their funding comes from donations and grants.

We are turning into a bunch of tutu wearing softies ...

I seem to recall as a kid watching cartoons like the road runner , bugs bunny etc etc , I seem to recall the coyote getting run over , burned , shot ,chopped into peices and blown up , we knew the difference between whats real and whats not .

Like Biff said - its up too the parents to teach the kids right and wrong , not to lay the blame on a computer game .

TiP.

• Like 2