Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Conservatives vs Liberals

• Please log in to reply
569 replies to this topic

#1    Agent0range

Agent0range

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,379 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 12:56 PM

Conservatism and cognitive ability are negatively correlated … At the individual level of analysis, conservatism scores correlate negatively with SAT, vocabulary, and analogy test scores. At the national level of analysis, conservatism scores correlate negatively with measures of education … and performance on mathematics and reading assessments.

The Conservative syndrome describes a person who attaches particular importance to the respect of tradition, humility, devoutness and moderation; as well as to obedience, self-discipline and politeness, social order, family, and national security; and has a sense of belonging to and a pride in a group with which he or she identifies. A Conservative person also subscribes to conventional religious beliefs and accepts the mystical, including paranormal, experiences.

Some very interesting articles highlighting PEER REVIEWED studies.  I, for one, am not surprised at the findings.

http://www.american....n-conservatives
http://www.addicting...-answer-is-yes/

#2    Br Cornelius

Br Cornelius

Forum Divinity

• 10,651 posts

• Stupid Monkeys.

Life Sucks.
    Get over it.

Posted 17 April 2014 - 12:59 PM

I would have thought this was obvious.
If you value tradition above all else you are unlikely to seek out novel ideas and solutions to problems.

Br Cornelius

I believe nothing, but I have my suspicions.

Robert Anton Wilson

#3    Agent0range

Agent0range

Psychic Spy

• 1,379 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 01:02 PM

View PostBr Cornelius, on 17 April 2014 - 12:59 PM, said:

I would have thought this was obvious.
If you value tradition above all else you are unlikely to seek out novel ideas and solutions to problems.

Br Cornelius

I always thought it was obvious as well.  I was interested by the actual studies, as there were quite a few of them conducted.  I'm sure there will be some Youtube videos posted to prove me wrong!

#4    Rafterman

Rafterman

Telekinetic

• 6,769 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 02:11 PM

Interesting.  But I have to wonder about the black/white nature of the analysis - you're either conservative or liberal, except that most of us aren't that way at all.  What about Libertarians?

Studies also show that atheists are smarter than theists.

So where does that leave me - a Fiscally conservative, socially Libertarian, atheist?

"You can't have freedom of religion without having freedom from the religious beliefs of other people."

#5    and then

and then

Abyssus Abyssum Invocat

• 13,957 posts

• Because what came before never seems enough...

Posted 17 April 2014 - 02:11 PM

Uhh...Harry Reid, Nancy Pelosi, Joe Biden, Al Franken, Charlie Rangel - should I go on?  And since when did a person's IQ determin their value as a human being or their right to take part in the process of self governance?

We've cast the world, we've set the stage,
  for what could be, the darkest age...

#6    SpiritWriter

SpiritWriter

• 3,725 posts

• The greatest story ever told is Your story.

Posted 17 April 2014 - 02:29 PM

Down with titles and labels... don't be confined to parties

The letter kills but The Spirit gives life. 2 Corinthians 3:6

Non-ambiguity and non-contradiction are one sided and thus unsuited to express the incomprehensible. -Jung

#7    SpiritWriter

SpiritWriter

• 3,725 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 02:30 PM

View PostRafterman, on 17 April 2014 - 02:11 PM, said:

Interesting.  But I have to wonder about the black/white nature of the analysis - you're either conservative or liberal, except that most of us aren't that way at all.  What about Libertarians?

So where does that leave me - a Fiscally conservative, socially Libertarian, atheist?

Athiest are not smarter than theist...

Non-ambiguity and non-contradiction are one sided and thus unsuited to express the incomprehensible. -Jung

#8    spartan max2

spartan max2

Poltergeist

• 2,741 posts

• There's nothing so absurd that if you repeat it often enough

Posted 17 April 2014 - 02:40 PM

So who here read the study that these articles are sourcing? :innocent:

My first issue is how they are  defining conservative, from the article, a lot of democrats are thrown in to here

The second caveat is that social conservatives do not always vote for conservative candidates. Most black Americans, for example, clearly exhibit “the Conservative syndrome” as Stankov defined it—70 percent voted to abolish gay marriage in California—but they routinely give about 90 percent of their votes to the Democratic Party

Reading the study itself it says it is only looking at social conservatives, and "conservative authoritarian" . So economics and other views are not taken in to account. from study

"found that lower general intelligence (g) in childhood predicts greater racism in adult hood

So the dumber you are the more likely you are to be prejudiced, and when they define conservative as being anti gay regardless of if you vote for democrat and regardless of what any of your other views are it is no surprise that the study came out this way.

Also from the actual study
. Our results suggest that cognitive abilities play a critical, albeit underappreciated, role in prejudice. Consequently, we recommend a heightened focus on cognitive ability in research on prejudice and a better integration of cognitive ability into prejudice models.

So the study does not exactly say what these journalist want it to.

Edited by spartan max2, 17 April 2014 - 02:44 PM.

" I imagine that the intellegent people are the ones so intellegent that they dont even need or want to look "intellegent" anymore".
Criss Jami

#9    Michelle

Michelle

Forum Divinity

• 15,007 posts

• Eleanor Roosevelt: Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.

Posted 17 April 2014 - 02:43 PM

You can find a "study" to support almost any point of view on the internet.

#10    RavenHawk

RavenHawk

Poltergeist

• 3,085 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 02:44 PM

OK, I’ll bite…

Haven’t we seen this study before?  And it was shot down then?  I’ve seen studies that have gone the other way; it just depends on who’s doing the research and their agenda.  From personal observation, I think that the Conservative is far more confident in their cognitive abilities that they don’t have to show off with such studies.  When a Conservative thinks outside of the box, he usually looks ahead and considers the consequences.  The Liberal/Progressive responds (Pavlavian) with knee-jerk reactions from outside stimuli while being very unaware.  Only a Progressive would claim “Conservatism and cognitive ability are negatively correlated” because they cannot comprehend how they do relate.

More conservatives are able to express themselves with thoughtful vocabulary whereas, the Left rely on comedians telling a joke and making a face.  Mathematics and logic is reflected by the ability of Conservatives to think ahead.  Most Progressives do not understand how things like the Free Market really work because it isn’t intuitive to them.

*Signature removed* Forum Rules

#11    Rafterman

Rafterman

Telekinetic

• 6,769 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 02:52 PM

View PostSpiritWriter, on 17 April 2014 - 02:30 PM, said:

Athiest are not smarter than theist...

Quite a few studies have concluded that they are, but I regard them pretty much the same way I regard the study in the OP.

"You can't have freedom of religion without having freedom from the religious beliefs of other people."

#12    Agent0range

Agent0range

Psychic Spy

• 1,379 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 03:05 PM

View PostRafterman, on 17 April 2014 - 02:11 PM, said:

That is true, but, there are a large amount of hardcore conservatives/liberals on this forum.

#13    Michelle

Michelle

Forum Divinity

• 15,007 posts

• Eleanor Roosevelt: Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.

Posted 17 April 2014 - 03:18 PM

http://www.swiftecon...servatives-but/

Liberals Are Smarter Than Conservatives, But Liberals Are Stupid at Economics and Libertarians Are Smarter Than Both of Them

:P

#14    SpiritWriter

SpiritWriter

• 3,725 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 03:20 PM

View PostRafterman, on 17 April 2014 - 02:52 PM, said:

Quite a few studies have concluded that they are, but I regard them pretty much the same way I regard the study in the OP.

A biased approach to prove an incorrect fact.

added: for the intent of belittling a group of people and making another group feel superior

The need to humiliate others to make yourself feel good is a base condition, which falls in the un-intellegent category.

Edited by SpiritWriter, 17 April 2014 - 03:28 PM.

#15    Br Cornelius

Br Cornelius

Forum Divinity

• 10,651 posts

• Stupid Monkeys.

Life Sucks.
    Get over it.

Posted 17 April 2014 - 03:22 PM

A study showing the correlation between evolution denial and climate change denial would settle the case for me. Theories so overwhelmingly supported by the evidence that to deny them shows a lack of cognitive reasoning ability.

I actually think that intelligence, or the ability to think about information and draw reasoned conclusions based on the evidence, is a learned skill. The genetic component is only a relatively small part.  However most people prefer to let other people do their reasoning for them and that is where inherited tradition takes over from intelligence.

Br Cornelius

Edited by Br Cornelius, 17 April 2014 - 03:31 PM.

I believe nothing, but I have my suspicions.

Robert Anton Wilson

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users