Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Non-African origin for ancient Homo species

The_Spartan

Early members of the genus Homo, possibly direct ancestors of people today, may have evolved in Asia and then gone to Africa, not vice versa as many scientists have assumed.

Most paleoanthropologists have favored an African origin for the potential human ancestor Homo erectus. But new evidence shows the species occupied a West Asian site called Dmanisi from 1.85 million to 1.77 million years ago, at the same time or slightly before the earliest evidence of this humanlike species in Africa, say geologist Reid Ferring of the University of North Texas in Denton and his colleagues.

arrow3.gifRead more...

Another theory on the origin of the ancestors of Homo sapiens...

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Blizno

• MissingAChance

• ambelamba

• Doctor_Strangelove

i always like to finds new info like that !

I am going to be the one with the immature comment.

You have to admit "Homo Erectus" is a pretty awesome name.

Seems to me that it would still be Africa, the earliest known civilizations started around that area and MOST of the fossils have been found there.

Very interesting indeed

So just because they find remains in a location that dates back further than others, that's where man originated from huh? Good theory, but that's all it'll ever be.

Early man (Adam & Eve) originated in The Garden of Eden, made by the very hand of God, some 6000 years ago. Everything else concerning this topic is irrelevant.

Edited by monkipuzzle

Early man (Adam & Eve) originated in The Garden of Eden, made by the very hand of God, some 6000 years ago. Everything else concerning this topic is irrelevant.

I hate to be ignorant of other people's beliefs, but this is under the Science and Space section. Creationism isn't science.

The idea is not new I read that some molecular biologist about thrity five years ago the threads of human origins is more complex than some scientist wish to admit.

I see that you are from Louisiana. I'm sorry for you.

"Like it or not, I'm praying for you" - monkipuzzle,

Monkipuzzle, I forbid you to pray for me. I refuse to be the target of magical spells.

Edited by Blizno

A quick search says that homo erectus fossils from about 8 million years ago have been found in Africa. If homo erectus fossils have been found from within a few tens or hundreds of thousands of years in Asia doesn't convince me that h. e. evolved in Asia. My understanding is that homo erectus was a very intelligent (by standards at the time), tall and very efficiently walking primate. That it could cover a lot of ground in a few tens of thousands of years and leave fossils a continent away doesn't surprise me.

I still favor the out-of-Africa hypothesis.

So just because they find remains in a location that dates back further than others, that's where man originated from huh? Good theory, but that's all it'll ever be.

No, it's not a theory. A hypothesis has to undergo very rigorous testing and review before it can be called a theory. This is a hypothesis, nowhere near a theory. There are very few theories. There are uncountable numbers of hypotheses.

I see that you are from Louisiana. I'm sorry for you.

No need to be impolite. He's welcome to his religious beliefs, just needs to keep them out of the science section.

I hate to be ignorant of other people's beliefs, but this is under the Science and Space section. Creationism isn't science.

Calling nonsense nonsense is not being ignorant of anybody's beliefs. If something is utterly foolish, say that is utterly foolish.

Nobody can be excused for promoting foolish fantasies disproven centuries ago. Saying that Xenu killed all of Its enemies and their souls infect modern humans with disease and discontent is nothing but foolishness. Call foolishness foolishness and don't ever apologize for doing so.

No need to be impolite. He's welcome to his religious beliefs, just needs to keep them out of the science section.

Impolite? I was being kind. It must be very hard to explore the universe after enduring a public school system that thinks that Creationism should be taught in science classes.

I repeat, I am being kind. I feel great sorrow for the people of Louisiana because their political leaders force religion upon them, illegally using their public schools as weapons of war.

**That's enough of that. Monkipuzzle, if you wish to discuss this in scientific terms, do so. Otherwise, do not discuss. Everyone else, if you wish to address the scientific fallacies, do so, otherwise, your personal opinions on the poster or their religious beliefs have no place here either.**

lol dude, if the remains dates back further than others that means maybe they are right, unless they find in other places more older remains.

No, it's not a theory. A hypothesis has to undergo very rigorous testing and review before it can be called a theory. This is a hypothesis, nowhere near a theory. There are very few theories. There are uncountable numbers of hypotheses.

yeah but its still theoretical.

So just because there are remains there then that's that. Having no way of actually 100% kowing what went on in the world then or before then that's what u believe, ridiculous no one knows and no one ever will its impossible, all u can do is assume.

There are very few theories.

2 that I'm aware of. Out of Africa and Out of Asia. And yes, they are both theories.

there is one theory that homo erectus, evolved to homo sapien on site. ie those that lived in asia became homo sapien there and did not migrate there. the reason for this theory is that those erectus's who lived in china seem to have the same eye sockets that modern day chinese have.

Edited by danielost