Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Abortion bortion, political contortion

Startraveler

16 members have voted

1. 1. No individual health plans being partially paid for by direct government subsidies should be allowed to cover abortions.

• I agree
    • I disagree
    • I don't know
  2. 2. Employer-based group health plans that offer abortion coverage should lose their tax exemption.

• I agree
    • I disagree
    • I don't know
  3. 3. Nothing that someone in the country finds immoral should ever receive government funding.

• I agree
    • I disagree
    • I don't know

In the wake of the single amendment--the Stupak-Pitts Amendment--that was allowed to be offered to the House health care bill last week, I'm curious what the reaction is to that amendment specifically and the spirit of it more generally.

The amendment prohibits use of Federal funds "to pay for any abortion or to cover any part of the costs of any health plan that includes coverage of abortion" except in cases of rape, incest or danger to the life of the mother. The exceptions are similar to those included in the Hyde Amendment; it also specifically allows individuals to purchase supplementary insurance that covers other abortions.

If someone is receiving affordability credits to pay for part of the costs of health insurance in the exchange, the plan they choose can't cover abortions. They can buy supplemental insurance that covers it.

Should this principle be extended to the majority of health care plans? And stepping back even further, should we strip funding from anything that some segment of the population finds immoral?

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Startraveler

• Harte

• ninjadude

• MissMelsWell

Top Posters In This Topic

In the wake of the single amendment--the Stupak-Pitts Amendment--that was allowed to be offered to the House health care bill last week, I'm curious what the reaction is to that amendment specifically and the spirit of it more generally.

If someone is receiving affordability credits to pay for part of the costs of health insurance in the exchange, the plan they choose can't cover abortions. They can buy supplemental insurance that covers it.

Should this principle be extended to the majority of health care plans? And stepping back even further, should we strip funding from anything that some segment of the population finds immoral?

How 'bout this... I'm in favor of not covering terminations IF this plan covers Birth Control! Right now, almost no plans, private or government cover birth control... but oddly, they will cover V!agra.

**facepalm**

Edited by MissMelsWell

How 'bout this... I'm in favor of not covering terminations IF this plan covers Birth Control! Right now, almost no plans, private or government cover birth control... but oddly, they will cover V!agra.

**facepalm**

I thought about twenty-five years ago it became the standard to cover birth control.

Anyway, I think it should pay for any abortions. There are many more good reasons not to bring a child into the world than those stipulated.

I'm just not sure that I'm comfortable with knowing that my tax dollars are helping to stab little babies to death.

I'm just not sure that I'm comfortable with knowing that my tax dollars are helping to stab little babies to death.

At the moment, the government is already sanctioning and financially supporting abortions by allowing abortion coverage to be tax exempt if you get it through your employer. I can't claim to know exactly how the HSA you've mentioned having works but according to this random site: "Your HSA funds can be used to pay for the cost of a legal abortion." If that's the case, do you think HSAs should lose their tax advantage? Or are you uncomfortable with that?

**facepalm**

I would agree 100% with you if you were 100% correct.

But many large plans do cover contraceptive birth control.

Few cover all forms of birth control, though.

That means few (about 15% of large group plans) cover oral contraceptives, diaphragms, IUDs, Depo Provera, and Norplant.

Note - the above means only about 15% cover all five methods. Some cover a few, some cover others, but few cover all five.

Statistics show that the majority of large group plans cover some form of birth control (admittedly, "majority" here means 51%.)

Need a source?

Google has 'em.

Here's one from that google search:

Birth Control and Health Insurance

But, you're right. They should all cover a handful of methods, especially the oral contraceptives.

Harte

At the moment, the government is already sanctioning and financially supporting abortions by allowing abortion coverage to be tax exempt if you get it through your employer.

I voted "no" on that part because as the law stands today, it would be illegal.

Doesn't make sense to create a system that is set up to break existing law.

They'd need to change the law first, and then suffer any political consequences for doing so, not sneak in some loophole through the back door.

If they did it right, I wouldn't complain about it, though I'm not exactly "pro-abortion" (I mean, who really is?)

Harte

Why not just pay for whatever mistake, need or convenience in life of all the low income or anyone making less than $150K a year per Obama.

I mean low income should not have to pay for anything out of their own pockets other than to go shopping, cell phone bills and a trip to Las Vegas.

Why not just pay for whatever mistake, need or convenience in life of all the low income or anyone making less than $150K a year per Obama.

We're already doing this, aren't we?

Harte

I mean low income should not have to pay for anything out of their own pockets other than to go shopping, cell phone bills and a trip to Las Vegas.

Those poor, unfortunate people also need 2010 Hybrid SUVs, don't forget that!

Strawman. Has nothing whatsoever to do with the OP or Healthcare reform.

I don't think that any Federal funding should go towards abortion, solely because it is a far too contentious issue. I myself? I have no position on abortion, because I'm never going to get one for myself.

Strawman. Has nothing whatsoever to do with the OP or Healthcare reform.

If you ate a lump of coal would you poop a diamond?

Most wars tend to be fairly contentious, too. They also could be said to have a moral component that might make some purists uncomfortable with funding them with tax dollars. Same with states employing the death penalty. You could pull out all sorts of contentious issues that still get public funding.

If you ate a lump of coal would you poop a diamond?

Why yes, yes I can. And flames too like William Wallace. I don't get your joke but I'll play along..