Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

The rare burger may soon become endangered

rare burger restaurants

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 38,098 posts

• "Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." - Albert Einstein

Posted 09 December 2012 - 02:46 PM

It is a far cry from the traditional burger sold at fast-food outlets. All over the country restaurants are putting “gourmet” burgers on the menu, offering them from rare to well done.

Now council officials are cracking down on the freedom to choose how your burger is done, warning restaurants not to offer them rare or even medium-rare.

http://www.telegraph...endangered.html

Posted Image

#2    Simbi Laveau

Simbi Laveau

Overlord A. Snuffleupagus

• 8,266 posts

• ~So what's all this then ?!

Posted 09 December 2012 - 02:55 PM

I can't eat a well done burger or steak.They're disgusting to me ,ergo ,they would lose my business .

Miss me?

#3    Ryu

Ryu

Born to fail.

• 3,621 posts

• Work out your own salvation. Do not depend on others. -Buddha

Posted 09 December 2012 - 03:17 PM

Same here. For me, red meat is more digestible if it is cooked rare or at least medium rare.
I don't need some government cronies telling me how I may eat my food.

As long as the meat is properly handles and stored, there is nothing wrong about eating it rare.

Of course this is in the UK so it doesn't affect those of us in the U.S however these measures are slowly being implemented too.
Such as some yahoo in New York (or someplace) banning soft drinks of certain sizes..claiming that he/she is just looking out for the peoples health.

I don't need some goomba in an office somewhere dictating to me what I can and cannot eat. I DO have access to books, libraries, internet, tv and so forth so I am well able to obtain my own information and make my own choices.

#4    Valdemar the Great

Valdemar the Great

Commander in the Secret Space Fleet

• 24,553 posts

• Vampires are people too.

Posted 09 December 2012 - 03:19 PM

This is an absolutely classic example of how local aurthorities have far, far too much power. It all comes from the belief that they're Politicians, it's exactly the same insistence that they have to be doing something all the time.

Life is a hideous business, and from the background behind what we know of it peer daemoniacal hints of truth which make it sometimes a thousandfold more hideous.

H. P. Lovecraft.

Posted Image

#5    Euphorbia

Euphorbia

Odd Plant Grower

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,269 posts

• You can't just choose to believe something.

Believing in something doesn't make it true.

Posted 09 December 2012 - 03:20 PM

View PostSimbi Laveau, on 09 December 2012 - 02:55 PM, said:

I can't eat a well done burger or steak.They're disgusting to me ,ergo ,they would lose my business .

I'm just the opposite! I prefer all meat well done, even to the point of being charred on the outside.

I'm just uncomfortable with undercooked meat.....and forget about sushi....

Get three coffins ready.

My mistake, four coffins.

Separation of corporation and state!

#6    ealdwita

ealdwita

Hwt oredmcg

• 4,810 posts

• Hige sceal e heardra, heorte e cenre, mod sceal e mare, e ure mgen lytla.

Posted 09 December 2012 - 03:26 PM

View PostEuphorbia, on 09 December 2012 - 03:20 PM, said:

I'm just the opposite! I prefer all meat well done, even to the point of being charred on the outside.

Oh well, you'd get on with Mrs.Ealdwita's sausages then. We usually end up selling them to the local Art College for their charcoal sketching!

"Gæð a wyrd swa hio scel, ac gecnáwan þín gefá!": "Fate goes ever as she shall, but know thine enemy!".
I can teach you with a quip, if I've a mind; I can trick you into learning with a laugh; Oh, winnow all my folly and you'll find, A grain or two of truth among the chaff!
(The Yeoman of the Guard ~ Gilbert and Sullivan)

#7    Lilly

Lilly

Forum Divinity

• 16,232 posts

• "To thine own self be true" William Shakespeare

Posted 09 December 2012 - 03:35 PM

E-coli is actually quite common in ground meat. IMO simply including a warning on the menu should be enough. Basically, one eats rare ground meat at their own risk.

Personally, I don't eat ground meat unless I'm the one to grind it (I use my own food processor).

"Ignorance is ignorance. It is a state of mind, not an opinion." ~MID~

"All that live must die, passing through nature into eternity" ~Shakespeare~ Posted Image

#8    Simbi Laveau

Simbi Laveau

Overlord A. Snuffleupagus

• 8,266 posts

• ~So what's all this then ?!

Posted 09 December 2012 - 03:55 PM

View PostEuphorbia, on 09 December 2012 - 03:20 PM, said:

Well I actually don't eat beef anymore,but growing up ,I loved it rare .Always .It was my moms preference ,and I think that's where I got it,but I liked it even more rare than she did.
Many many of my friends like well done beef ,so I understand it perfectly .

I do occ still eat sushi ,but I love tuna,and with the overfishing of blue fin now,I cannot ,with a clear conscience,eat it anymore .
My food choices dwindle ,as issues with animal cruelty for our dinner table ,go thru the roof .
It's just harder and harder to eat animal proteins with a clear conscience now .

Miss me?

#9    Ashotep

Ashotep

Telekinetic

• 7,409 posts

• Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway-John Wayne

Posted 09 December 2012 - 04:03 PM

I like my meat well done.  I can understand their concerns about eating undercooked meat in a restaurant because of bacteria.  Even if the meat is E-coli free what kind of bacteria is on the hands of the people that are preparing it.  Did they wash them the last time they went to the restroom?  I would have a problem with eating undercooked meat in a restaurant.Posted Image

If you become ill will you sue the restaurant or accept that the blame is yours for ordering it.

#10    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 38,098 posts

• "Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." - Albert Einstein

Posted 09 December 2012 - 09:24 PM

I don't know how anyone can eat undercooked meat, even the sight of it puts me off. Besides, the longer you cook it for the more tender it becomes...usually.

Posted Image

#11    glorybebe

glorybebe

Non-Corporeal Being

• 8,708 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 05:11 PM

I had a hard time getting American tiurists to understand that in BC they could not order burgers rare or medium rare.  The inner temperature to kill ecoli means that the burger has to be fully cooked.  With sue happy people out there, I think making it an impossibilty to order undercooked burgers is a good idea.

Save the Earth! It's the only planet with chocolate!

#12    ealdwita

ealdwita

Hwt oredmcg

• 4,810 posts

• Hige sceal e heardra, heorte e cenre, mod sceal e mare, e ure mgen lytla.

Posted 10 December 2012 - 05:41 PM

Cooking? Ha - saw off its horns and wipe its butt - that'll do!

"Gæð a wyrd swa hio scel, ac gecnáwan þín gefá!": "Fate goes ever as she shall, but know thine enemy!".
I can teach you with a quip, if I've a mind; I can trick you into learning with a laugh; Oh, winnow all my folly and you'll find, A grain or two of truth among the chaff!
(The Yeoman of the Guard ~ Gilbert and Sullivan)

#13    coldethyl

coldethyl

~☆~Public Animal #9~☆~

• 16,331 posts

• ~*★*~I'm not in this world to live up to your expectations and you're not in this world to live up to mine.
    Bruce Lee~*★*~

Posted 11 December 2012 - 02:10 AM

I like my burgers cooked through, but my steaks medium rare.

If I'm at a high dollar joint like Ramsey's place, I'd expect I wouldn't get anything that would make me sick.

Other places....

#14    pallidin

pallidin

Telekinetic

• 6,790 posts

• "When life gets you down... swim with a dolphin"

Posted 11 December 2012 - 07:44 PM

I know of two people, one of which was my mom, who likes hamburger completely uncooked.
To each their own I guess.

#15    Michelle

Michelle

Forum Divinity

• 14,737 posts

• Eleanor Roosevelt: Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.

Posted 11 December 2012 - 07:58 PM

View Postpallidin, on 11 December 2012 - 07:44 PM, said:

I know of two people, one of which was my mom, who likes hamburger completely uncooked.
To each their own I guess.

A Middle Eastern dish called Kibbeh is mostly just raw ground beef or lamb. That is the only food my Arabs friends make that I won't eat and I like my steaks rare.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users