Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Military Observing US cities with drones

OverSword

http://www.prisonplanet.com/new-documents-show-military-is-flying-drones-throughout-us.html

From the article:

Thousands of pages of Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) documents released under the Freedom Of Information Act highlight that the military is extensively flying surveillance drones in non-restricted skies throughout the country.

The records, released by The Electronic Frontier Foundation (EFF), reveal that three branches of the military are operating drones within civillian airspace. Those branches are the Air Force, the Marine Corps, and DARPA (Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency).

According to EFF, the documents show that the Air Force is testing all manner of UAVs, from small hand launched drones all the way up to the Predator and Reaper drones, the kind that routinely conduct missile strikes in Afghanistan, Pakistan and Yemen.

EFF notes that the use of drones capable of extensive surveillance in public airspace is concerning, especially since recent reports have revealed that Air Force drone operators have been conducting practice spying missions by tracking civilian cars along highways adjacent to military bases.

In addition, a recently uncovered Air Force document also raised alarms over military use of spy drones in US skies. The document outlines how to circumvent privacy laws, and clears the way for the Pentagon to use drones to monitor the activities of Americans.

EFF notes that the latest FAA documents indicate that the Marine Corps is also flying drones in US skies, but that “it chose to redact so much of the text from its records that we still don’t know much about its programs.”

Perhaps most disturbingly, DARPA, according to the documents, is flying full sized Reaper drones in areas of Nevada, California and Utah that are able to use technology that can capture motion imagery of entire cities. The technology, known as “Gorgon Stare” uses an array of nine to twelve cameras attached to the drone to take concurrent footage from multiple different angles.

makes sense, you make it legal for the police to have survailance drones, you make aure everyone knows the erones are police erones and then you alow military armed dornes up there as welll and the punters just assume they're policecdrones.

makes sense, you make it legal for the police to have survailance drones, you make aure everyone knows the erones are police erones and then you alow military armed dornes up there as welll and the punters just assume they're policecdrones.

The difference being that the police drones are basically really cool RC planes like you would buy at the hobby store and not going high enough in he air to warrant filing a flight plan with the FAA. Military grade drones are a whole different animal.
  • Like 1

Amazing that Americans are more concerned with Syria than this.

• Like 5

Amazing that Americans are more concerned with Syria than this.

Why should the stupidity of our fellow citizens amaze? They reelected Obama didn't they? No other group of citizens in our history have been willing to reelect such a proven failure to the highest office.
  • Like 1

And? I think its cheaper than too run than helicopters, loud, expensive on fuel, maintenance, wages, needs updating, training

• Like 1

When you get right down to it, in terms of visual ability--taking pictures--the drones are no different than satellite photo and Google Earth which have been with us for years.

Otherwise, the drones are but another expansion of police technology. There's nothing I can do about it, but if I were king for a day I would ground the fleet. Government is too big.

My wife said that she saw two UFOs flying relatively slow over Portland when she went to see the Zoolights exhibit at the Oregon Zoo. Saw them flying over Washington Park at dusk. An online search turned out to be that they were both military drones like these...

drone2.jpg

The bump/head on the front was highly recognizable she said. As were the downward tail fins.

Anyway. I say... So what? These are just another way of survillance, just as a helicoper, or street cameras are. I don't see a problem with it. I think these are Fantastic for patrolling the borders and the coastlines. Fan-freaking-tastic....

Edited by DieChecker
  • Like 2

But why? What are the Armed Drones going to do to US civilan populations? Herd us into those FEMA camps?? Come on......

• Like 2

But why? What are the Armed Drones going to do to US civilan populations? Herd us into those FEMA camps?? Come on......

People getting paranoid too much nowadays

• Like 3

As with any new technology introduced into the police arsenal, the downside is abuse by the authorities.

Yes, one can make all sorts of arguments in favor of Tazer, but the reality of deployment is that they are frequently abused.

Time will tell on the UAV....

I don't believe anyone claimed they were armed...

Personally... if this is for training i wish they would conduct that training over military air space... For saftey and command/control issues alone...

• Like 1

There was a time (that time is still here for me) when American's would be upset that the police or the government were keeping an eye on them for no reason. The fact that so many of you (pardon the expression) drones don't care really shows that the media has created through fear and propaganda, a new breed of americans that don't value thier privacy. Amazing.

• Like 5

There was a time (that time is still here for me) when American's would be upset that the police or the government were keeping an eye on them for no reason. The fact that so many of you (pardon the expression) drones don't care really shows that the media has created through fear and propaganda, a new breed of americans that don't value thier privacy. Amazing.

Good post. Bertrand Russell had some thoughts that might be relevant: "As soon as we abandon our own reason, and are content to rely upon authority, there is no end to our troubles."

And Dresden James: "The ideal tyranny is that which is ignorantly self-administered by its victims. The most perfect slaves are, therefore, those which blissfully and unawaredly enslave themselves."

• Like 3

There was a time when the town sheriff could just shoot down anyone that caused trouble, and lynching was recognized as pubic execution. There was a time when people were upset that they had ANY taxes. There was a time when everyone was looking for communists everywhere.

The laws and legalities of yesteryear are not always applicable to the present.

Hell, let's go back to the days of whatever happens in the slums and dark alleys stays there. (Sarcasm)

• Like 1

There was a time when the town sheriff could just shoot down anyone that caused trouble, and lynching was recognized as pubic execution. There was a time when people were upset that they had ANY taxes. There was a time when everyone was looking for communists everywhere.

The laws and legalities of yesteryear are not always applicable to the present.

Hell, let's go back to the days of whatever happens in the slums and dark alleys stays there. (Sarcasm)

Legit point DieChecker, It's nice to know that the military keeping track of your movements won't bother you at all. Obviously in todays world we need them to constantly protect us from ourselves. After all we can make explosive devices out of any number of common household items so we should all be viewed as potential terrorist and dangerous and not to be trusted. Good thinking. What's the difference between looking for communists everywhere and looking for terrorists everywhere? And it seems to me that the local constabulary still do shoot people down in the street ususally with little consequence to the department after an investigation. 90 year old ladies and 10 year old kids get tazed, skateboarding teens get thie asses kicked. Yeah we've come a long way. Wake up.
  • Like 3

The media has not created fear, its the people who created fear

Pull your head out.

Pull your head out.

You pull your head out, you really think that will happen? if you don't like whats happening then do something about it. You really don't know anything do you?

I don't believe anyone claimed they were armed...

Personally... if this is for training i wish they would conduct that training over military air space... For saftey and command/control issues alone...

Imagine the legal issues and general uproar if one of these mechanical devices did what mechanical devices have a tendency to do and failed, crashing into a home or office park?

Really? The media doesn't create fear? Do you realize that people are actually concerned that chemical weapons from Syria may be used in the USA????? Laughable, but the seed of that fear was planted by the media. And of course is being used as a lever to get people to think it will be fine and dandy to put US troops into Syria to 'save the world' yet one more time. pull it dude, pull it.

• Like 1

Legit point DieChecker, It's nice to know that the military keeping track of your movements won't bother you at all. Obviously in todays world we need them to constantly protect us from ourselves. After all we can make explosive devices out of any number of common household items so we should all be viewed as potential terrorist and dangerous and not to be trusted. Good thinking. What's the difference between looking for communists everywhere and looking for terrorists everywhere? And it seems to me that the local constabulary still do shoot people down in the street ususally with little consequence to the department after an investigation. 90 year old ladies and 10 year old kids get tazed, skateboarding teens get thie asses kicked. Yeah we've come a long way. Wake up.

So how would you propose watch only the actual "suspected terrorists" and not the averge public? By what method can we keep track of only those who are criminal or dangerous, and leave the privacy of everyone else alone. That technology simply does not exist. To find the terrorists, we have to violate some of the publics privacy. Myself, I would rather a drone flys over my house, or all my email goes through a filter somewhere, then face one successfull terrorist attack after another on my homeland. Just last year there was the Christmas Tree Bomber here in Portland who was desprate for some why to blow up hundreds of people. Should we simply wait till these people are successful, then track them down and catch them?

You think more Timothy McVeigh's or Unibombers are better then an occational drone flying overhead??

Imagine the legal issues and general uproar if one of these mechanical devices did what mechanical devices have a tendency to do and failed, crashing into a home or office park?

Yes, like all the thousands of commuter and privately owned small airplanes that are constantly falling onto cities everywhere. (Sarcasm... again)