Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

The Military and Monsters

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#16    Blue Lizard

Blue Lizard

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 278 posts

• "Faith in a fact can help create the fact." - William James

Posted 21 September 2010 - 10:42 PM

I see no problem with using technics like that in the military. It actually saves lives on both sides as mentioned before(unlike the atomic bomb) and is quite clever to say the least.

As for the writer, I see no problem with what he is doing at all. He is gaining readers and kudos to him for doing whatever it takes. If it pisses few people off, but nevertheless gets readers interested, I think there is nothing wrong with it. As a writer, getting readers interested is the most important thing, and he takes care of that pretty well. Most writers have a lot of BS, but if it makes the article interesting, then I don't care if it was BS.  

As someone said, it is easy to say "It was a sunny day for Jack" and it is much harder to say "Jack looked upto the fiery sun and questioned the things he had done. The heat was finally wearing him as the sweat came burning down his back." I am not a great writer, but I would think as a reader, a detailed description would be better.

I like him for putting me in that sort of thrill mood and would have quite rather hated him and thought of him as a poor writer, if he just said it out in one line. That's why some end up as writers and others end up writing scientific research papers- although both tend to have some BS.

#17    emberlake

emberlake

quinquagenarian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,525 posts

• "Not all the folklore of fairies & nature-folks are Celtic, Sidhe, Disney or Bro Grimms." ~ ember

Posted 22 September 2010 - 02:54 AM

In reference to anyone liking the style of the author of the article, "Different strokes for different folks.  That's cool with me." :yes:

I'm not a professional writer, but I think he could have chosen to not quote his source and instead described it something like:
"they grabbed the last guy in the patrol and terminated him in a manner to look like a vampire attack and then replaced his corpse back where he would be found."
The result would be the same, but without the gore, and still holding to the original ominous manner of the story teller for instilling fear during that time.

Here's the deal, in my opinion it's just sad for a cryptozoologist to use the 'gory specific details' in the context of that article.

:)
"Why would you want to be normal? Normal is boring. Nobody remembers normal people." ~ Bracket
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fan of William Blanchard: His music makes my soul sing!
:)

#18    zombeikiller

zombeikiller

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 470 posts

• 2012 not the end. just the beging of the war aginst demons. "So lock and load! Take as many as you can with you!"

Posted 24 September 2010 - 12:24 PM

This would fit inside the vampirism topic. where the us isreaching vampires. since one skptic say they did not. but if this was used by the usa then they studyed what people feared and used it to there advantage.

#19    Agent. Mulder

Agent. Mulder

Only man to have fought Sasquatch. And lived...

• 15,163 posts

• ...highly unlikely, but not outside the realm of Extreme possibility.

Posted 24 September 2010 - 05:25 PM

View Postzombeikiller, on 24 September 2010 - 12:24 PM, said:

This would fit inside the vampirism topic. where the us isreaching vampires. since one skptic say they did not. but if this was used by the usa then they studyed what people feared and used it to there advantage.

No it wouldnt fit.
Youre saying the states would try and find what "monsters" people fear, and then try to make them?
Good luck with that.

the truth is out there....

#20    lotsocats100

lotsocats100

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 54 posts

Posted 26 September 2010 - 12:03 AM

:wacko: headache...the article, I felt, was very well written.  As a reader of horror stories, I think the way it was written gave it authenticity.  If you don't like this writer, you don't have to read his articles.  Not trying to start an argument, just saying...
Have a great day anyway!!!

Crazy Cat Lady

#21    MstrMsn

MstrMsn

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,023 posts

• "If you don't like the answer, you shouldn't have asked the question!"

Posted 12 October 2010 - 01:59 PM

View Postregeneratia, on 21 September 2010 - 03:07 PM, said:

I think the US military is a monster itself.
I call for defunding it.
It failed us on 9-11. It should get no more tax-payer dollars. Not one dollar.

How do you figure the US military failed on 9/11? We are forbidding by federal law to operate within the US. Only exception is under a declaration of Martial Law.

You want to blame someone, blame the FBI, they had information about a possible attack, and how it was going to be carried out, but since the source of that information didn't obtain a warrant before hand, they threw it out.

Also, Congress was warned about Bin Laden being a direct threat to this country back in the 80s, and they did nothing about it. So, if you want to blame someone for this, blame the right people.

We are born with 2 fears: Falling, and loud noises, all others are LEARNED.
You say fear is all in the mind. I say you are right; for it is our imagination that makes things seem scary.
If you want to learn how to not be afraid, ask.

#22    smokedog

smokedog

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 07:56 AM

this still goes on today. there are plenty of stories about things roaming the deserts in the middle east. and a lot of it comes from the soldiers themselves.

#23    Oniomancer

Oniomancer

Soulless Minion Of Orthodoxy

• 3,266 posts

• Question everything

Posted 26 November 2012 - 06:26 PM

It's like that old Outer Limits episode, "The Architects Of Fear."

"Apparently the Lemurians drank Schlitz." - Intrepid "Real People" reporter on finding a mysterious artifact in the depths of Mount Shasta.

#24    ReaperS_ParadoX

ReaperS_ParadoX

“What’s wrong with accepting madness?

• 2,521 posts

• The boundaries which divide Life from Death are at best shadowy and vague. Who shall say where the one ends, and where the other begins?

Posted 26 November 2012 - 10:18 PM

I dont see what the writer did wrong In my opinion he was just writing a article and describing it the best way he knew how to, also Its a known fact that in battle If you can effect peoples minds and get to them at that level it will most likely turn  out better for you.

COME WITH ME. OVERWHELMING POWER AND MADNESS AWAIT

THAT IS NOT DEAD WHICH CAN ETERNAL LIE AND WITH STRANGE AEONS EVEN DEATH MAY DIE

#25    smokedog

smokedog

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 12:32 AM

View PostR4z3rsPar4d0x, on 26 November 2012 - 10:18 PM, said:

I dont see what the writer did wrong In my opinion he was just writing a article and describing it the best way he knew how to, also Its a known fact that in battle If you can effect peoples minds and get to them at that level it will most likely turn  out better for you.

exactly. the mind is the most powerful and the most weak weapon we have at our disposal

#26    PHFATY

PHFATY

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 07:02 AM

A couple years ago, I came across a guy who claimed to have been involved with a Black Project at an undisclosed location near or around Ft. Collins, Colorado. This guy was a former special operator (SEAL) and claimed that his team provided security for a project that was related to genetic engineering. A couple years ago, there were reports by highway troopers and truckers around the Ft. Collins, Colorado area of weird bipedal creatures with human and bigfoot like characteristics sighted crossing roads and highways.  A MUFON team was actually dispatched to check it out but most likely the trail went cold as nothing new was ever heard again of the incidents.

WHO BUILT THE ANCIENT MEGALITHIC NAN MADOL RUINS IN THE WESTERN PACIFIC?

http://pohnpeinanmadol.blogspot.com

MICRONESIA

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users