Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Dragon's Bones

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1    spud the mackem

spud the mackem

Spud the Mackem

• 3,249 posts

• man who ask for nothing shall never be disappointed

Posted 24 September 2012 - 09:38 AM

Were Dragons a Myth, or were they real ?. No one seems to have come up with fossilised remains or bones,yet they existed in folklore.The Welsh people have a Dragon on their national Flag, the Chinese have Dragon dancers, and the English must have had at least one,as St.George, the Patron Saint of England is on paintings slaying one.Could these creatures have been Pteradactyls ?, which survived until a few hundred years ago ?Other countries also have reports of Dragons in their lands,so they seem to have been world wide,at some stage in History.Can anyone come up with a logical explanation ?

(1) try your best, ............if that dont work.
(2) try your second best, ........if that dont work
(3) give up you aint gonna win

#2    Rlyeh

Rlyeh

Non-Corporeal Being

• 8,574 posts

• Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Posted 24 September 2012 - 09:46 AM

Dinosaurs perhaps?

Apparently a village in China believed dinosaur bones to be that of dragons, and used them in their medicine.

http://www.msnbc.msn...r-dragon-bones/

#3    zebra99

zebra99

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 09:53 AM

Monsters are bound to have been dreamed up by peoples living in fear of the dark and the forests all over the world.The flickering flames from the fire in the hut or cave, and the imagination of the storytellers to pass away the long nights.It isn't surprising that peoples would come up with similar stories.And what better to embellish the story in the minds of your listeners, than frightening creatures that look nothing like those they come across in their daily lives.

Posted Image

#4    tyrant lizard

tyrant lizard

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 521 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 09:59 AM

spud the mackem, on 24 September 2012 - 09:38 AM, said:

Were Dragons a Myth, or were they real ?. No one seems to have come up with fossilised remains or bones,yet they existed in folklore.The Welsh people have a Dragon on their national Flag, the Chinese have Dragon dancers, and the English must have had at least one,as St.George, the Patron Saint of England is on paintings slaying one.Could these creatures have been Pteradactyls ?, which survived until a few hundred years ago ?Other countries also have reports of Dragons in their lands,so they seem to have been world wide,at some stage in History.Can anyone come up with a logical explanation ?
St George was a Syrian from what I remember, so the green and pleasant land might not have been the location of the battle of George and the Dragon. I heard somewhere he killed a crocodile and the story spread as Chinese whispers until it reached England as a dragon slaying.

The dragon myth could come from misidentification of remains found. Maybe dinosaurs, washed up whales, horses' skulls? The cyclops came from the skull of a rhino I think...

#5    Hasina

Hasina

Maximillion Hotpocket Puckershuttle

• 3,031 posts

• JINKIES

Posted 24 September 2012 - 10:59 AM

tyrant lizard, on 24 September 2012 - 09:59 AM, said:

The dragon myth could come from misidentification of remains found. Maybe dinosaurs, washed up whales, horses' skulls? The cyclops came from the skull of a rhino I think...
That'd be a elephant skull, look it up, it's what I would think if I saw one. 'Holy shizz, cyclops!'

Posted Image

~MEH~

#6    Bavarian Raven

Bavarian Raven

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,402 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 03:19 PM

Well the norwhale is where unicorn myth came from. Anything is possible. :blush:

#7    ShadowSot

ShadowSot

Stinky Cheese

• 6,874 posts

• Oops.

Posted 25 September 2012 - 05:39 PM

spud the mackem, on 24 September 2012 - 09:38 AM, said:

I'd be careful about conflating dragons from different cultures.
Eastern dragons and western dragons are very different in shape and characterization.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.
-Terry Pratchett

#8    None of the above

None of the above

Psychic Spy

• Closed
  • 1,418 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 05:51 PM

It may well be that the widespread nature of the Dragon in folklore might simply stem from the finding of fossil Dinosaur bones throughout pre-history by our ancestors.

#9    spud the mackem

spud the mackem

Spud the Mackem

• 3,249 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 08:15 PM

ShadowSot, on 25 September 2012 - 05:39 PM, said:

I'd be careful about conflating dragons from different cultures.
Eastern dragons and western dragons are very different in shape and characterization.
   A Dragon's a Dragon aint it ? Like a Chinese dog and an English dog eh, both dogs, except one get eaten and the others a pet.

#10    spud the mackem

spud the mackem

Spud the Mackem

• 3,249 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 08:22 PM

Atlantia, on 25 September 2012 - 05:51 PM, said:

It may well be that the widespread nature of the Dragon in folklore might simply stem from the finding of fossil Dinosaur bones throughout pre-history by our ancestors.
  Yep,you could be right, But something must have been running around scaring the pants off the population, them days.But stories given by people vocally and passed on tend to get exagerated as time goes on, I guess we shall never find out the truth.

#11    None of the above

None of the above

Psychic Spy

• Closed
  • 1,418 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 08:43 PM

spud the mackem, on 25 September 2012 - 08:22 PM, said:

Yep,you could be right, But something must have been running around scaring the pants off the population, them days.But stories given by people vocally and passed on tend to get exagerated as time goes on, I guess we shall never find out the truth.

You find a fossil skull of some huge monster, you don't call it a fossil you just think it's buried bones.. Next time you hear something going bump in the night you think WTF, It's one of them....
Look at how modern legends grow from almost zero evidence.
Fossils are the remains of real animals. It's only in recent centuries that we understood that they were millions of years old.
But they've always been there and we've always been finding them.

#12    PersonFromPorlock

PersonFromPorlock

Psychic Spy

• 1,260 posts

• Few things do more harm than the belief that life should be Dramatic.

Posted 25 September 2012 - 09:48 PM

Not so many dinosaur fossils laying around exposed, but lots of mammoth/mastodon bones and teeth.

#13    ReaperS_ParadoX

ReaperS_ParadoX

“What’s wrong with accepting madness?

• 2,520 posts

• The boundaries which divide Life from Death are at best shadowy and vague. Who shall say where the one ends, and where the other begins?

Posted 25 September 2012 - 11:28 PM

It is wierd that almost every culture would have stories about dragons :blush: :blush:

COME WITH ME. OVERWHELMING POWER AND MADNESS AWAIT

THAT IS NOT DEAD WHICH CAN ETERNAL LIE AND WITH STRANGE AEONS EVEN DEATH MAY DIE

#14    None of the above

None of the above

Psychic Spy

• Closed
  • 1,418 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 12:08 AM

R4z3rsPar4d0x, on 25 September 2012 - 11:28 PM, said:

It is wierd that almost every culture would have stories about dragons :blush: :blush:

Fossils and the like are also widespread and people are mobile.
If an 'explanation' for an unknown starts to travel by word of mouth it might be interpreted differently by different cultures.
Dragons are very different creatures depending on which culture you look at.

#15    ShadowSot

ShadowSot

Stinky Cheese

• 6,874 posts

• Oops.

Posted 26 September 2012 - 03:05 AM

spud the mackem, on 25 September 2012 - 08:15 PM, said:

A Dragon's a Dragon aint it ? Like a Chinese dog and an English dog eh, both dogs, except one get eaten and the others a pet.
A Western dragon has six limbs, sometimes breathes fire, drinks milk, collects and hoards treasure.
They are depicted as having batlike wings which they use to fly.

Eastern dragons, as a counter point, have no wings. The usually have four legs and sport something like a beard. They fly without using wings.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.
-Terry Pratchett

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users