Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

The Rise of the Superbugs

• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#46    Queen in the North

Queen in the North

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,509 posts

• We're more Ceefax people.

Posted 27 January 2013 - 02:17 PM

View PostFrank Merton, on 27 January 2013 - 02:14 PM, said:

If I need to go to the hospital, damn it, I'm going.
Definitely don't deny yourself professional medical care if you need it, though if possible try to avoid lengthy stays on wards.

Posted Image

#47    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 17,137 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 02:25 PM

It sounds like we need to use good sense.

I can just imagine what sorts of things the government here would do were some deadly pandemic to start somewhere, considering what happened here during the chicken flu scare.  (Among other things the daily morning chorus of c***-crowing of people keeping cocks for the fighting that sadly goes on here came to a roaring halt as the police rounded them all up.)

#48    AsteroidX

AsteroidX

Government Agent

• 3,570 posts

• it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security

Posted 27 January 2013 - 02:30 PM

The good sense is the prevention part.

Not understanding how bad the chicken flu was there I cant really say if that was an appropriate response but chickens being a renewable resource...If the diesease was dangerous enough is fully appropriate.

Mad Cow disease is another example where we slaughter animals because of the risk to humans is greater then the need of a few food cows. By the way free ranged animals have much less of these problems and those not fed antibiotics in there food.

Bird flu is the big unknown right now, or avian flu. As birds are everywhere. And it keeps popping up in small clusters.

Edited by AsteroidX, 27 January 2013 - 02:31 PM.

#49    Queen in the North

Queen in the North

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,509 posts

• We're more Ceefax people.

Posted 27 January 2013 - 03:08 PM

View PostKing Fluffs, on 26 January 2013 - 07:04 PM, said:

We actually need a superbug.

The Earth's population is sky rocketing and we won't be able to cope much longer.
Thinking about this... While I don't wish an incurable bacterial infection on anyone, it could be seen as Nature sorting out the problems of overpopulation. The people who will - and do, now - fall to these superbugs are the people who are already sick, in beds on hospital wards. The healthier part of population will find it easier to avoid... except in childbirth. We will go back to a world where everywhere mother and child die in childbirth frequently, and I think that is how the superbugs could 'sort out' the population problems.

I suppose the prevention we were talking about earlier in this case is to not have children - when considering the population issue, I guess the people actually wanting some kind of natural way of getting the population down would say that's win-win?

Posted Image

#50    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 17,137 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 03:13 PM

The human race is dealing with its own population problem just fine and we don't need a plague.

#51    Sean93

Sean93

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts

• WRATH

Posted 27 January 2013 - 06:00 PM

View Postseeder, on 27 January 2013 - 07:44 AM, said:

Ok heres some news,

"The flu epidemic has invaded 48 states, overwhelming medical facilities, exhausting vaccine supplies and killing 29 children and thousands of seniors. Both the problem and solution to this disaster hinge on how we relate to animals raised for food".

But the article is biased towards vegan-ism

http://mtstandard.co...19bb2963f4.html

That's not surprising at all.

Flu is dangerous to children and old people, it's always been like that. They have under-developed or weakened immune systems.

The flu is actually resistant to drugs for the most part and not a lot can be done to get rid of it, you just have to let your immune system ride it out. Things like Tamiflu only work for about a day and they only decrease the effects of the virus slightly, they don't get rid of it.

"Be peaceful, be courteous, respect everyone; but if someone puts his hand on you, send him to the cemetery."

“To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize.”

#52    seeder

seeder

Nut Cracker

• 13,297 posts

• Never forget that only the weak fish swim with the stream, and a lie travels half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes.

Posted 27 January 2013 - 10:35 PM

Now for some cheerful news...

Spraying meat with viruses to treat bacteria

How do you combat deadly bacteria on meat? Spray the meat with a virus that eats the bacteria. This solution has been approved in the US by the FDA.

It wasn’t the miners who got rich; it was the people selling picks and shovels. Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored
It's not the depth of the rabbit hole that bugs me... It's all the rabbit poop you stumble over on your way down...
“It's easier to fool people - than to convince them that they have been fooled.”  Mark Twain

"The tragedy of life is not that it ends so soon, but that we wait so long to begin it"

#53    AsteroidX

AsteroidX

Government Agent

• 3,570 posts

• it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security

Posted 27 January 2013 - 10:40 PM

Thanks seeder. Thats all I needed this morning. My bacteria free food is full of viruses. and GMO. My question what happens when it all hits my belly and the viruses start feeding off the GMO ?

#54    seeder

seeder

Nut Cracker

• 13,297 posts

• Never forget that only the weak fish swim with the stream, and a lie travels half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes.

Posted 27 January 2013 - 10:49 PM

View PostAsteroidX, on 27 January 2013 - 10:40 PM, said:

Thanks seeder. Thats all I needed this morning. My bacteria free food is full of viruses. and GMO. My question what happens when it all hits my belly and the viruses start feeding off the GMO ?

Its still Sunday night here.. sorry to ruin the breakfast, try muesli?

Makes you wonder tho doesn't it?  Im becoming more of a vegan every day...

It wasn’t the miners who got rich; it was the people selling picks and shovels. Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored
It's not the depth of the rabbit hole that bugs me... It's all the rabbit poop you stumble over on your way down...
“It's easier to fool people - than to convince them that they have been fooled.”  Mark Twain

"The tragedy of life is not that it ends so soon, but that we wait so long to begin it"

#55    Chooky88

Chooky88

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 10:59 AM

Queen in the North is right. Too many people already. God forbid it should be me or a loved one but look at the big picture. Our 'herd' needs thinning.

#56    docyabut2

docyabut2

Alien Abducter

• 5,068 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 11:34 AM

Vegies have bacteria to , just cook the heck out of all foods:)

#57    seeder

seeder

Nut Cracker

• 13,297 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 11:51 AM

View Postdocyabut2, on 28 January 2013 - 11:34 AM, said:

Vegies have bacteria to , just cook the heck out of all foods:)

I prefer most veg lightly steamed. Overcooking can also destroy all the goodness in some foods.The problem is if we rid ourselves and food of all bacteria, we have nothing on which to build a defense to it.

Like the pro biotic theories, we need some bacteria!!

#58    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 17,137 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 12:06 PM

View PostChooky88, on 28 January 2013 - 10:59 AM, said:

Queen in the North is right. Too many people already. God forbid it should be me or a loved one but look at the big picture. Our 'herd' needs thinning.
Outrageous!  Just so long as it doesn't affect you, you intellectually decide it's a good thing if millions die.

#59    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 17,137 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 12:09 PM

If everyone went vegetarian, we would reduce CO2 emissions in half, easily feed twice the present population, and almost entirely eliminate methane emissions.

#60    Zaphod222

Zaphod222

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

• When the gods wish to punish us, they answer our prayers.
    (Oscar Wilde)

Posted 03 February 2013 - 08:53 AM

View PostKing Fluffs, on 26 January 2013 - 07:04 PM, said:

We actually need a superbug.
The Earth's population is sky rocketing and we won't be able to cope much longer.

Well yes. But would you celebrate it if you got it?

"The moment you declare a set of ideas to be immune from criticism, satire, derision, or contempt, freedom of thought becomes impossible." (Salman Rushdie)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users