Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Wasted US dollars

Robbie333

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Robbie333

• jugoso

• acidhead

• Paracelse

There is a huge difference between loving America and hating it's Federal government. I get accused all the time of hating America by people emotionally unstable with their own personal lives to understand that my anger and frustration lies with it's Corporate-controlled Federal government.

There is a huge difference between loving America and hating it's Federal government. I get accused all the time of hating America by people emotionally unstable with their own personal lives to understand that my anger and frustration lies with it's Corporate-controlled Federal government.

I here you. Our government is out of control, hence, the situation we are in. I fought for this country but I feel you. I am mad as hell at the Feds antics.:tu:

I'll third that one.

I sometimes struggle with this issue too. And I´m not talking about the dirty "little" secrets but rather the outright lying and manipulation that is hidden in plain view. (Bank bailout, iraq invasion for starters). Now please Americans, don´t get me wrong. You´ve got a beautiful country and I´ve met tons of cool Americans and consider some to be close friends. But the foreign policy thing is really hurting a lot of people. So who should i be angry with? Sure the federal government is responsible for shaping public opinion and policy and implementing it. And I do recognize that the whole "election process" is a joke but in the end, are not you, the citizens of America, resposible for your countries actions. From an outsiders perspective, it´s difficult to understand the cognitive dissonance that must be necessary. I´m not blaming you but the word apathetic does spring to mind at times. A good example was the protest on Wall street. While other countries we´re really standing up to show their displeasure with the IMF (new world order), there just didn´t seem to be the same kind of interest here. And you guys got extremely screwed by wall st!! Next to no media coverage and comments on UM such as " a bunch of body-painted hippies".

If you aren´t part of the solution you´re part of the problem.

I´m sure this will p*** some people off but as an American you need to take some responsibility for American policy.

I like many Americans are trapped. Its either go to work and feed our families ... or stand up for what we are passionate about .. lose our jobs for not being there and become homeless starving Americans.

America can't standup for ourselves until we lose everything. Sad but true.... a disgusting situation we are in.

After answering most question right, (except the sarah palin one I didn't choose the salmon) it downed to me the spending was started by all political parties rather than just the liberals. And I'm afraid it as nothing to do with US alone, but all countries have wasted money.

I sometimes struggle with this issue too. And I´m not talking about the dirty "little" secrets but rather the outright lying and manipulation that is hidden in plain view. (Bank bailout, iraq invasion for starters). Now please Americans, don´t get me wrong. You´ve got a beautiful country and I´ve met tons of cool Americans and consider some to be close friends. But the foreign policy thing is really hurting a lot of people. So who should i be angry with? Sure the federal government is responsible for shaping public opinion and policy and implementing it. And I do recognize that the whole "election process" is a joke but in the end, are not you, the citizens of America, resposible for your countries actions. From an outsiders perspective, it´s difficult to understand the cognitive dissonance that must be necessary. I´m not blaming you but the word apathetic does spring to mind at times. A good example was the protest on Wall street. While other countries we´re really standing up to show their displeasure with the IMF (new world order), there just didn´t seem to be the same kind of interest here. And you guys got extremely screwed by wall st!! Next to no media coverage and comments on UM such as " a bunch of body-painted hippies".

I´m sure this will p*** some people off but as an American you need to take some responsibility for American policy.

I have to agree with you somewhat. Many of us are attempting to have our voices heard by showing up at meetings and writing our local "men and women in charge" so to speak. I feel you have to begin with your local gov and work your way up. Identify the problem and place a name to the cause and " they" tend to scramble to make things right, as well as, pass the buck at times. This is how I have seen things change, tag a name to the problem. Now, that being said I see you are from Mexico. What have you done about attempting to erradicate the drug lords running your towns there. I feel this is an honest question so don't go off half cocked. I mean this in a nice way.

wikileaks/facebook posted this Einstein photo quote today

albert-einstein.jpg

wikileaks/facebook posted this Einstein photo quote today

albert-einstein.jpg

I didn't know Albert knew Edmund Burke ..

‘All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing’

I have to agree with you somewhat. Many of us are attempting to have our voices heard by showing up at meetings and writing our local "men and women in charge" so to speak. I feel you have to begin with your local gov and work your way up. Identify the problem and place a name to the cause and " they" tend to scramble to make things right, as well as, pass the buck at times. This is how I have seen things change, tag a name to the problem. Now, that being said I see you are from Mexico. What have you done about attempting to erradicate the drug lords running your towns there. I feel this is an honest question so don't go off half cocked. I mean this in a nice way.

It´s a totally fair question. First off I really want to point out that I empathize and understand how difficult it is for the average person to feel they can make a difference in policy decisions made at federal and international levels.

Aus Der Box Skep explains the dilemma we all face:

"like many Americans are trapped. Its either go to work and feed our families ... or stand up for what we are passionate about .. lose our jobs for not being there and become homeless starving Americans."

And there it is. Most of us are so busy chasing our tail around and also trying to find time to enjoy some of the true gifts of life that we just don´t have the time necessary to commit to fighting for true social change. Hopefully, we all do what we can at a local level and make ethical decisions, advocate for our beliefs, etc.but it seems that big policy decisions that shape future events and thus our lives, pretty much continue on their own agenda regardless of popular opinion. That seems rather convenient for the powers that be that truly shape both national and international policy.

Which means that the next pint he makes is a real logical possibility:

America can't standup for ourselves until we lose everything. Sad but true.... a disgusting situation we are in

It certainly is a real catch-22. We´re too busy working to stand up for what we know to be truly just. So the only people who can truly take part in long protests are those with either nothing to lose or those who have decided to suffer a short-term loss for a possible long-term gain

Now to answer your question about what i am personally doing around the Narco thing.

first i´d like to point out that the all of the Mexican cities are not run by narcos. The drug issue is a very complicated one which i´ve written about on other threads (check my content if you want) and involves, politicians, police, Army amongst other factors. The majority of the violence is a result of failed policy regarding illegal drugs and how the the problem is combatted IMHO. I teach English here and it brings me into contact with a lot of high-school and University students. One of the nice things about teaching English is there is a lot of leeway in terms of curriculum. We can talk about, debate, investigate almost any topic as long as it is in English. I try to run a fairly student-centered classroom and we generally decide on topics to be discussed. However, current events are always relevent and so invariably, most of these topics come up (police corruption, narco-culture, crime, War on drugs etc.). I do my best to facilitate discussions regarding these topics and really challenge the students (at least those that are willing) to think ctitically about these issues. I don´t preach and do try to make sure that everyone´s opinions are respected. Now, I do sometimes ask specific questions or present factual information for students to consider when I think it particularly relevant.

As I am not a Mexican citizen, i do have to be careful to the extent that i am involved in national politics. Not trying to use that as an excuse cuz I pretty much do what I can. I believe that education is the key to any real change in policy with the WoD. I think it is a total failure as is the Army involvement which has worsened the situation considerably. So I speak out about this as much as possible. I know in the end it is really just a drop in the bucket but I secretly hope that at least some of my students will become more involved in an issue that deeply effects all of our lives.

It´s a totally fair question. First off I really want to point out that I empathize and understand how difficult it is for the average person to feel they can make a difference in policy decisions made at federal and international levels.

Aus Der Box Skep explains the dilemma we all face:

"like many Americans are trapped. Its either go to work and feed our families ... or stand up for what we are passionate about .. lose our jobs for not being there and become homeless starving Americans."

And there it is. Most of us are so busy chasing our tail around and also trying to find time to enjoy some of the true gifts of life that we just don´t have the time necessary to commit to fighting for true social change. Hopefully, we all do what we can at a local level and make ethical decisions, advocate for our beliefs, etc.but it seems that big policy decisions that shape future events and thus our lives, pretty much continue on their own agenda regardless of popular opinion. That seems rather convenient for the powers that be that truly shape both national and international policy.

Which means that the next pint he makes is a real logical possibility:

America can't standup for ourselves until we lose everything. Sad but true.... a disgusting situation we are in

It certainly is a real catch-22. We´re too busy working to stand up for what we know to be truly just. So the only people who can truly take part in long protests are those with either nothing to lose or those who have decided to suffer a short-term loss for a possible long-term gain

Now to answer your question about what i am personally doing around the Narco thing.

first i´d like to point out that the all of the Mexican cities are not run by narcos. The drug issue is a very complicated one which i´ve written about on other threads (check my content if you want) and involves, politicians, police, Army amongst other factors. The majority of the violence is a result of failed policy regarding illegal drugs and how the the problem is combatted IMHO. I teach English here and it brings me into contact with a lot of high-school and University students. One of the nice things about teaching English is there is a lot of leeway in terms of curriculum. We can talk about, debate, investigate almost any topic as long as it is in English. I try to run a fairly student-centered classroom and we generally decide on topics to be discussed. However, current events are always relevent and so invariably, most of these topics come up (police corruption, narco-culture, crime, War on drugs etc.). I do my best to facilitate discussions regarding these topics and really challenge the students (at least those that are willing) to think ctitically about these issues. I don´t preach and do try to make sure that everyone´s opinions are respected. Now, I do sometimes ask specific questions or present factual information for students to consider when I think it particularly relevant.

As I am not a Mexican citizen, i do have to be careful to the extent that i am involved in national politics. Not trying to use that as an excuse cuz I pretty much do what I can. I believe that education is the key to any real change in policy with the WoD. I think it is a total failure as is the Army involvement which has worsened the situation considerably. So I speak out about this as much as possible. I know in the end it is really just a drop in the bucket but I secretly hope that at least some of my students will become more involved in an issue that deeply effects all of our lives.

I do not know you but it seems clear to me that you are indeed attempting to change things in a relative way. I agree that, from what I read from you, that "planting a seed" in your students and allowing them to work and discuss problems on their own is a great way to teach. Bravo to you my friend and I hope some of your "seedlings" can proliferate changes for the good. Keep up the good work!:tu::)

I do not know you but it seems clear to me that you are indeed attempting to change things in a relative way. I agree that, from what I read from you, that "planting a seed" in your students and allowing them to work and discuss problems on their own is a great way to teach. Bravo to you my friend and I hope some of your "seedlings" can proliferate changes for the good. Keep up the good work!:tu::)

Thanks for the kind words Robbie333. I don´t kid myself by thinking that I´m moving mountains but i do my best to try to impact people to think about things that they sometimes just take for granted.

On a personal note, the narco-violence hit pretty close to home this weekend. An old student of mine who I´ve known for about 6 years was murdered on Saturday night. I have known his parents and taught many of his extended family. I have really no idea what he was into but he was shot murdered in a vehicle with another guy. To make a crappy situation worse, there were three girls in the back-seat, one a few months pregnant, who were also all murdered. I actually used to have some respect for "hitmen" as there always seemed to be extremely accurate (killed the person they wanted to and left the others unharmed). In the last few years it´s really turned into a bullet-fest. It really makes me sad :(

We are looking at a country that has less than 5 pct of the world's population but has to consume 25 pct of world oil production to power up, among others, more than a third of the world's passenger vehicles. And this is taking place amid four decades of trade deficits and an economy where 70 pct of activity consists of consumer spending.

Ultimately, everyone--government, households, and corporations--will have to cut down heavily on borrowing and spending. But none of these sectors will do such.

Thanks for the kind words Robbie333. I don´t kid myself by thinking that I´m moving mountains but i do my best to try to impact people to think about things that they sometimes just take for granted.

On a personal note, the narco-violence hit pretty close to home this weekend. An old student of mine who I´ve known for about 6 years was murdered on Saturday night. I have known his parents and taught many of his extended family. I have really no idea what he was into but he was shot murdered in a vehicle with another guy. To make a crappy situation worse, there were three girls in the back-seat, one a few months pregnant, who were also all murdered. I actually used to have some respect for "hitmen" as there always seemed to be extremely accurate (killed the person they wanted to and left the others unharmed). In the last few years it´s really turned into a bullet-fest. It really makes me sad :(

My heart goes out to the young man and his family. Tragic is the only word I can think of right now. Why and how can this happen in a modern world? Mexico as a country has a long battle ahead of them and I hope the right answers and the right timing come into play soon. Sorry about your personal lose, as well. A student/teacher relationship would be almost like family. I am not a teacher but it seems you care about your young people. Time will tell I guess as in most things in life on how this problem works out.

Edited by Robbie333

My heart goes out to the young man and his family. Tragic is the only word I can think of right now. Why and how can this happen in a modern world? Mexico as a country has a long battle ahead of them and I hope the right answers and the right timing come into play soon. Sorry about your personal lose, as well. A student/teacher relationship would be almost like family. I am not a teacher but it seems you care about your young people. Time will tell I guess as in most things in life on how this problem works out.

Thanks dude!! I actually really do care about my students as human beings. I had a lot of sh*tty teachers when i was in school, so it´s pretty easy for me....I just try and do the opposite :rofl:

From the best of my understanding, these are pretty much small time guys fighting over local turf and acting like a bunch of cowboys. The "big boys" often grab you and then wrap you in garbage bags and tape after killing (and perhaps) torturing you. It´s gottn really uglier here and particuarly since Calderon and the Army have gotten more involved.

Thanks dude!! I actually really do care about my students as human beings. I had a lot of sh*tty teachers when i was in school, so it´s pretty easy for me....I just try and do the opposite :rofl:

From the best of my understanding, these are pretty much small time guys fighting over local turf and acting like a bunch of cowboys. The "big boys" often grab you and then wrap you in garbage bags and tape after killing (and perhaps) torturing you. It´s gottn really uglier here and particuarly since Calderon and the Army have gotten more involved.

You and I suspect that others are doing your part. The bottom line is that it is out of control. My question is, what is the next step or answer. In my opinion an army was needed to fight "THEM" as in all out war. I just don't know. Opinion? You seem like a well rounded smart guy.

You and I suspect that others are doing your part. The bottom line is that it is out of control. My question is, what is the next step or answer. In my opinion an army was needed to fight "THEM" as in all out war. I just don't know. Opinion? You seem like a well rounded smart guy.

Well first off my suggestion would be to recognize that a lot of "them" are really just "us". For some I´m sure the lure is big money. For many others, I´m sure it´s just for "some money". That Godsend for all involved, NAFTA, really made it almost impossible for farmers to grow certain crops (corn for example) as they couldn´t compete with the US and their subsidies. When a farmer can´t sell his product, he needs to find a new one. In swoops drug-lord who makes an offer that cant be refused and offers cash. Farmer grows dope for Narco and when finished gets paid more money than he could make doing anything else. Farmer is now a part of that organization. One of my old students did it a few years back in another state. There was just him and a gig field of weed up in the montains. He grew it, cut it,dried it and then it is moved usually in one shipment. I´ve been told that blackhawk heicopters are used at times. Now, if all goes well for the farmer he usually ends up with a decent chunk of change Not a whole bunch of $$ but more than he could make doing anything else. If things don´t go well for the crop (stolen or confiscated)bang bang end of story. The amount of people who are murdered here is staggering. It´s like the wild,wild west. The police can not protect you and in most cases you just don´t want them involved at all. Another former student of mine who´s a lawyer told me an interesting story about one of his clients sons who was kidnapped. Long story short, son got away and kidnappers were identified in a bar less than a week later. Police called and the price of justice....i believe the police asked for about 30,000p to kill all three. Arrest them?? Forget about it Never asked if it was followed through on. So the culture is one where the police cannot be trusted and so vigilante style payback is the norm.

Another point that needs to be understood is that this has absolutely nothing to do with drugs. It´s all about the money. The narcos don´t care if it´s crack, meth,cocaine or weed. Mexico is not only a big drug producer but also the middle-man between other drug-producing states and the biggest consumer where the drugs can demand a high price. I could get a kilo of pretty good quality stuff for less than 100$US which would fetch probably 20 times as much NOB.

Still another point that must be recognized (and perhaps the most important) is that drugs play an important part in keeping the power structures in place. Drugs serve an important function in society and if the current policies weren´t in the best interests of top dogs, they would be changed. For the guys running the show, drug addicts are a good thing as they keep you out of the way. Imagine , for a moment, that every drug addict became a political-activist or a catalyst for social change. That´s a lot of people out there asking questions that many don´t want to answer. And I´m not even going to start on the money that is involved and people employed to “fight” this war other tan to say that there are HUGE $$ involved for law enforcement, prisons etc.

There are just some of the issues that need to be addressed

Now, moving towards solution. I think the first thing that needs to be done is that some clear goals need to be defined and strategies that have already been tried should be assessed to see if they are having any success. And this is where things just stop making sense. I would think one of the MAJOR startegies would be to reduce murders making citizens, tourists and investors feel more secure...better for all.

I have written about this on another thread. I mean, the numbers speak for themselves. When Fox was elected, there were a lot of people that had big hopes that things were finally going to change and many were disappointed in what happened (or didn´t happen). Now politics in my opinion is just a big farce and a president, no matter how idealistic, is really just the frontman for the true policy shapers and can really only reach that position if they have proven their alleigance to this group. But one thing he never did, although under pressure was to send the Army in to fight the War on Drugs, one of Calderon´s first acts. If you compare the number of murders in the cities pre-and post Army involvement. the increase in deaths is mind-boggling. Check out this link here

http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=213787

It deals with a different aspect but if you do take a couple of minutes it links to some pretty good info all relevent to this discussion

Bottom line is the violence has really sky-rocketed where Army has been sent and stayed the same where it hasn´t. It had been slightly increasing before they were sent but nothing like fter they arrived. Check this out:

After the military began patrolling Ciudad Juarez, Chihuaua in 2007, Escalante writes, statewide homicide rates rose from 14.4 murders per 100,000 people to 75.2 in 2008 and 108.5 in 2009.

That´s a 500% increase!!So, is the Army involvement helping the situation?

If you´d like to believe the increase is because the Army is fighting the WoD and eventually going to win it and that is what the increase is about, my suggestion would be that there is a totally different agenda going down that involves more violence, more police, and collusion at the top levels. This was front page of the paper last week.

http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=215000&st=0&p=4070113&fromsearch=1entry4070113

Imagine the president of the US being accused on the front page of a national paper of being in partnership with the biggest drug dealer in the world and claiming to have five years of research and investigation to prove it. (I don´t know much about her). It is pretty much accepted here that there is a strong connection between narcos and politicians.

Anywho….I´ve rattled on far too long. It is an extremely complicated issue. But most of the “problems” with drugs IMO are secondary ones (a result of policy) and not caused by the drugs themselves. I´m a big proponent of harm reduction policies. By changing policies we can diminsh greatly many of the negative consequences of drugs which for me should be the goal at this point.

Cheers

Well first off my suggestion would be to recognize that a lot of "them" are really just "us". For some I´m sure the lure is big money. For many others, I´m sure it´s just for "some money". That Godsend for all involved, NAFTA, really made it almost impossible for farmers to grow certain crops (corn for example) as they couldn´t compete with the US and their subsidies. When a farmer can´t sell his product, he needs to find a new one. In swoops drug-lord who makes an offer that cant be refused and offers cash. Farmer grows dope for Narco and when finished gets paid more money than he could make doing anything else. Farmer is now a part of that organization. One of my old students did it a few years back in another state. There was just him and a gig field of weed up in the montains. He grew it, cut it,dried it and then it is moved usually in one shipment. I´ve been told that blackhawk heicopters are used at times. Now, if all goes well for the farmer he usually ends up with a decent chunk of change Not a whole bunch of $$ but more than he could make doing anything else. If things don´t go well for the crop (stolen or confiscated)bang bang end of story. The amount of people who are murdered here is staggering. It´s like the wild,wild west. The police can not protect you and in most cases you just don´t want them involved at all. Another former student of mine who´s a lawyer told me an interesting story about one of his clients sons who was kidnapped. Long story short, son got away and kidnappers were identified in a bar less than a week later. Police called and the price of justice....i believe the police asked for about 30,000p to kill all three. Arrest them?? Forget about it Never asked if it was followed through on. So the culture is one where the police cannot be trusted and so vigilante style payback is the norm.

Another point that needs to be understood is that this has absolutely nothing to do with drugs. It´s all about the money. The narcos don´t care if it´s crack, meth,cocaine or weed. Mexico is not only a big drug producer but also the middle-man between other drug-producing states and the biggest consumer where the drugs can demand a high price. I could get a kilo of pretty good quality stuff for less than 100$US which would fetch probably 20 times as much NOB.

Still another point that must be recognized (and perhaps the most important) is that drugs play an important part in keeping the power structures in place. Drugs serve an important function in society and if the current policies weren´t in the best interests of top dogs, they would be changed. For the guys running the show, drug addicts are a good thing as they keep you out of the way. Imagine , for a moment, that every drug addict became a political-activist or a catalyst for social change. That´s a lot of people out there asking questions that many don´t want to answer. And I´m not even going to start on the money that is involved and people employed to "fight" this war other tan to say that there are HUGE $$ involved for law enforcement, prisons etc.

There are just some of the issues that need to be addressed

Now, moving towards solution. I think the first thing that needs to be done is that some clear goals need to be defined and strategies that have already been tried should be assessed to see if they are having any success. And this is where things just stop making sense. I would think one of the MAJOR startegies would be to reduce murders making citizens, tourists and investors feel more secure...better for all.

I have written about this on another thread. I mean, the numbers speak for themselves. When Fox was elected, there were a lot of people that had big hopes that things were finally going to change and many were disappointed in what happened (or didn´t happen). Now politics in my opinion is just a big farce and a president, no matter how idealistic, is really just the frontman for the true policy shapers and can really only reach that position if they have proven their alleigance to this group. But one thing he never did, although under pressure was to send the Army in to fight the War on Drugs, one of Calderon´s first acts. If you compare the number of murders in the cities pre-and post Army involvement. the increase in deaths is mind-boggling. Check out this link here

http://www.unexplain...howtopic=213787

It deals with a different aspect but if you do take a couple of minutes it links to some pretty good info all relevent to this discussion

Bottom line is the violence has really sky-rocketed where Army has been sent and stayed the same where it hasn´t. It had been slightly increasing before they were sent but nothing like fter they arrived. Check this out:

After the military began patrolling Ciudad Juarez, Chihuaua in 2007, Escalante writes, statewide homicide rates rose from 14.4 murders per 100,000 people to 75.2 in 2008 and 108.5 in 2009.

That´s a 500% increase!!So, is the Army involvement helping the situation?

If you´d like to believe the increase is because the Army is fighting the WoD and eventually going to win it and that is what the increase is about, my suggestion would be that there is a totally different agenda going down that involves more violence, more police, and collusion at the top levels. This was front page of the paper last week.

http://www.unexplain...1

Imagine the president of the US being accused on the front page of a national paper of being in partnership with the biggest drug dealer in the world and claiming to have five years of research and investigation to prove it. (I don´t know much about her). It is pretty much accepted here that there is a strong connection between narcos and politicians.

Anywho….I´ve rattled on far too long. It is an extremely complicated issue. But most of the "problems" with drugs IMO are secondary ones (a result of policy) and not caused by the drugs themselves. I´m a big proponent of harm reduction policies. By changing policies we can diminsh greatly many of the negative consequences of drugs which for me should be the goal at this point.

Cheers

Thank you for the knowlege. I was not privy to much of this. I guess the equation is no different in Mexico than it is in Colombia, Afghanistan, Pakistan, etc. Without going into it, I have seen much of this first hand. Good people living within a poor population of farmers with the chance to increase their ability to feed, cloth and house their family. I could not say I would not do the same if I were in the same position--not many other options. Money is the tool that keeps the Cartels in buisiness. Old story and probably not a situation that can be totally terminated for good, just brought down to another level I fear. I read your post and became angry at myself for using the term " them". It sounded so rude and generic after I reread it. Sorry. Keep the faith and I know you and many of your colleages are doing your part. Again, thank you for the info and taking the time to fill me/us on the situation. You might like this site I came across yesterday about Mexico and the Cartel wars.

http://borderviolenceanalysis.typepad.com/

Edited by Robbie333