Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* - - - - 2 votes

President Obama’s popularity surges

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#31    F3SS

F3SS

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,394 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 05:01 AM

View PostLord Vetinari, on 30 January 2013 - 03:25 PM, said:

possibly it's just that people are relieved no to have Romeny, although if that was the case I'm not sure why more didn't vote for him in the first place. Otherwise, I've no idea why this might be.

Or it's just a poll. There will be many more. Some going up. Some going down.

View PostFrank Merton, on 30 January 2013 - 03:31 PM, said:

Obama is wildly popular in most of Asia -- much more than in the States.

By all means, take him.

View PostWearer of Hats, on 30 January 2013 - 09:41 PM, said:

(seeing as by now, my comments here will have got me on a no-fly list anyway)
You and I both know how the true believers and the puppets in the press will react to any hint of a scandal "it's Republican muckracking", "it's a lie, spread by racists", "Obama got a Nobel Peace Prize, obviously he's not guilty", "ohh look, something shiny!" and ads full of Democrat mouthpieces from Hollywood.
I agree. He's untouchable.

Posted Image

#32    WoIverine

WoIverine

Telekinetic

• 6,721 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 05:06 AM

The inaugural spectacle is still fresh in people's minds, hence the surge. It'll be back to business as usual in a couple of months.

Edited by WoIverine, 31 January 2013 - 05:06 AM.

#33    CrimsonKing

CrimsonKing

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,351 posts

• "It does not require a majority to prevail,but rather an irate,tireless minority keen to set brushfires in peoples minds" Sam Adams

Posted 31 January 2013 - 05:57 AM

I wanted ron paul he was the only one with even a decent sounding plan in my opinion,but popularity,money,and the media won out over the best interest of the american people once again.If only people would stop voting based on party loyalty and what is in it for themselves only,and instead vote for the collective good we might have a bright future!I think after how this election divided the people that idea is gone for good though.

"If it is not advantageous,do not move.If objectives can not be attained,do not employ the army.Unless endangered do not engage in warfare.The ruler cannot mobilize the army out of personal anger.The general can not engage in battle because of personal frustration.When it is advantageous,move;when not advantageous,stop.Anger can revert to happiness,annoyance can revert to joy,but a vanquished state cannot be revived,the dead cannot be brought back to life." Sun-Tzu

#34    acidhead

acidhead

Were Not Your Slaves!

• 10,510 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 06:37 AM

View PostCrimsonKing, on 31 January 2013 - 05:57 AM, said:

I wanted ron paul he was the only one with even a decent sounding plan in my opinion,but popularity,money,and the media won out over the best interest of the american people once again.If only people would stop voting based on party loyalty and what is in it for themselves only,and instead vote for the collective good we might have a bright future!I think after how this election divided the people that idea is gone for good though.

Am,en.... and I ain't even jewish

"there is no wrong or right - just popular opinion"

#35    CrimsonKing

CrimsonKing

Psychic Spy

• 1,351 posts

• "It does not require a majority to prevail,but rather an irate,tireless minority keen to set brushfires in peoples minds" Sam Adams

Posted 31 January 2013 - 06:47 AM

View Postacidhead, on 31 January 2013 - 06:37 AM, said:

Am,en.... and I ain't even jewish

Hahahaha agreed and neither am i lol

"If it is not advantageous,do not move.If objectives can not be attained,do not employ the army.Unless endangered do not engage in warfare.The ruler cannot mobilize the army out of personal anger.The general can not engage in battle because of personal frustration.When it is advantageous,move;when not advantageous,stop.Anger can revert to happiness,annoyance can revert to joy,but a vanquished state cannot be revived,the dead cannot be brought back to life." Sun-Tzu

#36    Valdemar the Great

Valdemar the Great

Commander in the Secret Space Fleet

• 24,461 posts

• Vampires are people too.

Posted 31 January 2013 - 07:51 AM

View PostWhite Unicorn, on 30 January 2013 - 10:56 PM, said:

I'd like to make several points.
First if the Americans aren't voting shame on them they don't deserve to have a say, especially when they finally had absentee ballots for people who had to work in some states that may have not been able to in prior elections.

if people felt that "none of the above", or writing in a candidate of their choice, would have any effect, they might be more willing to do that, but if they feel that the only choice is the same two tired old choices who are all but indistinguishable really at the end of the day, is it really fair to say "they don't deserve to have a say"? if people do have a say,it makes no difference, really.

Life is a hideous business, and from the background behind what we know of it peer daemoniacal hints of truth which make it sometimes a thousandfold more hideous.

H. P. Lovecraft.

Posted Image

#37    CrimsonKing

CrimsonKing

Psychic Spy

• 1,351 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 08:56 AM

View PostLord Vetinari, on 31 January 2013 - 07:51 AM, said:

if people felt that "none of the above", or writing in a candidate of their choice, would have any effect, they might be more willing to do that, but if they feel that the only choice is the same two tired old choices who are all but indistinguishable really at the end of the day, is it really fair to say "they don't deserve to have a say"? if people do have a say,it makes no difference, really.

Seems you know as well as i,a write in has no chance no matter what the circumstance.To much money flows behind closed doors!Money makes the world go round and we are almost completely out.What comes next?

#38    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 35,283 posts

• In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 31 January 2013 - 02:13 PM

View Postacidhead, on 31 January 2013 - 04:24 AM, said:

Ron Paul had a great chance but the R's ignored him.  Same with the press.  He could have easily been the R's nod versus Obama. The first debate RP would have destroyed him.

I tend to doubt that, Ron Paul had many things in his policies that were attack able. He might have been a honest man but many of his policies were half cooked and even less thought through as I have pointed out many times in the past.

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#39    Rafterman

Rafterman

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,549 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 04:18 PM

View PostBr Cornelius, on 30 January 2013 - 06:41 PM, said:

Maybe because he's not a moron.
Your projecting your hate outwards here and believing it maps well to objective reality - big mistake.

Br Cornelius

Right, because if I disagree with your guy, I'm just full of hate and rage.  Maybe I'm a racist too.

Frankly, I was one of the ones asking how Bush got reelected.

"You can't have freedom of religion without having freedom from the religious beliefs of other people."

#40    Rafterman

Rafterman

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,549 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 04:20 PM

View Postacidhead, on 31 January 2013 - 04:24 AM, said:

Ron Paul had a great chance but the R's ignored him.  Same with the press.  He could have easily been the R's nod versus Obama. The first debate RP would have destroyed him.

And the Obama machine would have painted him to be a complete and total racist nut.  He would have lost in a real landslide.

"You can't have freedom of religion without having freedom from the religious beliefs of other people."

#41    Rafterman

Rafterman

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,549 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 04:22 PM

View PostWoIverine, on 31 January 2013 - 05:06 AM, said:

The inaugural spectacle is still fresh in people's minds, hence the surge. It'll be back to business as usual in a couple of months.

Well if we get first quarter economic numbers like we just saw yesterday with the fourth quarter, it won't be pretty.

#42    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 35,283 posts

• In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 31 January 2013 - 04:24 PM

View PostRafterman, on 31 January 2013 - 04:22 PM, said:

Well if we get first quarter economic numbers like we just saw yesterday with the fourth quarter, it won't be pretty.

Well, given that most of the loss is due to a reduction in military spending everybody should be happy.... less spending, less debt.

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#43    Valdemar the Great

Valdemar the Great

Commander in the Secret Space Fleet

• 24,461 posts

• Vampires are people too.

Posted 31 January 2013 - 04:28 PM

View PostBr Cornelius, on 30 January 2013 - 06:41 PM, said:

Maybe because he's not a moron.
Your projecting your hate outwards here and believing it maps well to objective reality - big mistake.

Br Cornelius
What is the "objective reality"? looking at it totally objectively, the best that could be said is that he's just the same as any other Politician, perhaps more competent than some candidates there might have been for president, perhaps less than some might have been, but we'll never know that, will we. As far as his Economic policy seems to go, I think the most generous thing one can say is "what policy?", seeing that it just seems to be carrying on exactly as before, only borrowing a bit more. I don't think questioning whether he is in fact the Messiah need necessarily mean that one hates him.

Life is a hideous business, and from the background behind what we know of it peer daemoniacal hints of truth which make it sometimes a thousandfold more hideous.

H. P. Lovecraft.

Posted Image

#44    Rafterman

Rafterman

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,549 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 06:52 PM

View Postquestionmark, on 31 January 2013 - 04:24 PM, said:

Well, given that most of the loss is due to a reduction in military spending everybody should be happy.... less spending, less debt.

Well that's the spin at least.  Although Harry Reid seems to think it was because the Republicans snuck in during the middle of the night and cut spending while Obama was skeet shooting at Camp David and the Dem congress was all down banging whores in Guatemala.

#45    FurthurBB

FurthurBB

Government Agent

• 3,359 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 01:36 PM

View Postquestionmark, on 30 January 2013 - 10:59 PM, said:

That would not be too bad, if there were actually 3 parties in Congress and the majority would have to be sought on a case to case basis. But if that 3d party just makes one of the existing obsolete (as happened all through US history) it will not make much difference.

Things are never going to be right until we put a stop to the reality TV/Boxing match politics we have going on right now.  I do not know if a strong third party would help, but we need to try something.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users