Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Vodka blamed for high death rates in Russia

Still Waters

The high number of early deaths in Russia is mainly due to people drinking too much alcohol, particularly vodka, research suggests.

The study, in The Lancet, says 25% of Russian men die before they are 55, and most of the deaths are down to alcohol. The comparable UK figure is 7%.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...health-25961063

And sadly, this has been the 'case' in Russia (former USSR) for generations.

• Like 1

I thought in Russia they always drank vodka, are these deaths new then? Did the vodka drinkers of the past live longer?

Just seen DeWitz post, thats what I wanted to know.

I thought in Russia they always drank vodka, are these deaths new then? Did the vodka drinkers of the past live longer?

Not really, in fact statistically the natural life span of a Russian is being extended by 2 hours every day that passes. And that for generations too (excluded war time, of course).

Not really, in fact statistically the natural life span of a Russian is being extended by 2 hours every day that passes. And that for generations too (excluded war time, of course).

Excluding vodka drinkers, of course.

2 hours everyday? How do they work these stats out, it would take more than 2 generations to get an accurate stat figure so what with the war in between, lack of records in many parts, its impossible to work out.

Edited by freetoroam

Excluding vodka drinkers, of course.

2 hours everyday? How do they work these stats out, it would take more than 2 generations to get an accurate stat figure so what with the war in between, lack of records in many parts, its impossible to work out.

Well, that is what statisticians claim, and they also worked out the time for Central Europe (3 hours) and the USA (2.5 hours).. that means that 50% of the kids being born this year will live to 100.

• Like 1

Well, that is what statisticians claim, and they also worked out the time for Central Europe (3 hours) and the USA (2.5 hours).. that means that 50% of the kids being born this year will live to 100.

do you know if this is based on:

children who are fed GM foods from birth

children who are fed natural healthy food from birth

children who are not prone to obesity

children who are prone to obesity due to being fed cr * p

children in a gang

children not in a gang

children who do not live in disaster prone areas

children who will never experience war

I tell you what, the list is endless.

• Like 2

I'm not that well-read in Russian literature, but my understanding is that the overuse/abuse of vodka has been an issue in that culture for hundreds of years. During World War Two mass quantities of vodka were distributed among the infantry to lower inhibitions come advancing-into-combat time. It's only my intuition that suggests that the Russian people are moving into another serious dip in communal morale--as the rebound from communism (Stalinism-Brezhnevism) has not been all it's cracked up to be.

There's nothing scientific about my opinion on this. Historically speaking, many Russians of both genders and all ages have sought refuge in the vodka bottle when times are uncertain or hard..

Edited by DeWitz

do you know if this is based on:

children who are fed GM foods from birth

children who are fed natural healthy food from birth

children who are not prone to obesity

children who are prone to obesity due to being fed cr * p

children in a gang

children not in a gang

children who do not live in disaster prone areas

children who will never experience war

I tell you what, the list is endless.

Statistics is never about individuals but about populations and segments thereof. And there the math is quite simple: average lifespan around 30 in 1900, average around 60 in 1980s, since then the expectancy has increased by another 2 years.

Now, whether there might be the big plague in the future that reduces life expectancy to the Middle Ages level is a different story.

Vodka doesn't kill people.

People kill people.

Sounds like potatoes kill people, when consumed in liquid form.

• Like 1

I'm not going to deal with the stereotypes as people have fixed views on this that I will not change in a few sentences here. Yes, there is a problem with alchohol, but not significanlty greater than other countries. There are other factors involved, and a big one is unemployment, and this is a large factor in many countries. I dispute the report in the Lancet as being far to low. I have seen figures from the mid 2000s that gave a life expectancy to men of 75. And yes, I know this statistics are movable as new data comes in year by year. A link only to English wiki as I guess a link to a number of Russia demographic sites will be ignored and seen to be biased. This article gives a male life expectancy of 64.3 years, which roughly co-incides with other sources. This figure is not good compared to western Europe and is seen as a cause for concern. However, it should be noted that there are still more than 1 million service veterans alive from the war, with the youngest about 88 years.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographics_of_Russia

I hear life expectancy in Russia is much lower if you are homosexual or vocalize a disagreement with Putin.

• Like 1

I hear life expectancy in Russia is much lower if you are homosexual or vocalize a disagreement with Putin.

Not according to the Министерство пропаганды, as demonstrated by their tools.