Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * - - 2 votes

Japan will never stop whaling, minister says

• Please log in to reply
209 replies to this topic

#151    Heaven Is A Halfpipe

Heaven Is A Halfpipe

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 914 posts

• Hi. My name is Spike.

Posted 20 March 2013 - 01:19 AM

View PostSakari, on 20 March 2013 - 12:03 AM, said:

That is a fail....

Whales are endangered, or close to it.

Pigs, chickens, cows, etc. are no where near that. If the numbers of Cows, chickens, and pigs drop to a alarming level ( actually well before that ) we would stop killing them.

If whales had the numbers as cows, chickens, and pigs. Hell, Salmon, Cod, Shrimp...( Salmon numbers are dropping though ) I would not be complaining, and I doubt as many would be.

Stupid comparison in my opinion.

Perhaps you should read between the lines of what I said. It's only okay to slaughter animals if there's plenty around? Well by that logic, you wouldn't have cared on 9/11, only a few thousand people died, right? Or, is your next comment going to be that, that is yet again a stupid comparison because human life is more important, right? I think so, you don't seem the compassionate kind to me.

Just my opinion :)

You can go the distance, you can run the mile and you can walk straight through HELL with a smile.

My UM Credentials: http://www.unexplain...5

#152    Sakari

Sakari

tohi

• 12,553 posts
  • Location:Safford, Arizona...My heart and soul are still on the Oregon Coast.

• Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Posted 20 March 2013 - 01:25 AM

View PostThe Skater Boy, on 20 March 2013 - 01:19 AM, said:

Perhaps you should read between the lines of what I said. It's only okay to slaughter animals if there's plenty around? Well by that logic, you wouldn't have cared on 9/11, only a few thousand people died, right? Or, is your next comment going to be that, that is yet again a stupid comparison because human life is more important, right? I think so, you don't seem the compassionate kind to me.

Just my opinion :)

That, by far, is the stupidist thing, and most selfish, and heartless statement I have ever seen, on any site....Anywhere, period.

You crossed the line there.......I would love for you to say that anywhere near my presence, or the brothers that feel the same.....You are sick, trully sick.

I have done a ton of charity work for 9/11, in the form of Tributes. ( motorcycle)

Iron Nation in Reno....  

The Iron Nation Motorcycle Club’s annual Iron Nation 911 Run raised $20,000 in 2011 to support the Nevada Military Support Alliance. Since its debut in September of 2001, the Iron Nation 911 run has contributed a total of over $120,000 to the Nevada Military Support Alliance.
The Iron Nation Motorcycle Club organized as a nonprofit in 2004, and prides itself on its charitable events set up to raise money for those who are in need or are less fortunate. The club has been contributing event proceeds from the Iron Nation 911 run to the Nevada Military Support Alliance for the past 7 years.
The Nevada Military Support Alliance is a nonprofit organization dedicated to providing support to all Nevadans who have served or are presently serving in the United States military, as well as military families.

“The Nevada Military Support Alliance is very thankful for the continued support of the Iron Nation Motorcycle Club, and humbled by their generous contributions through the annual Iron Nation 911 run,” said Perry DiLoreto, President of the Nevada Military Support Alliance.

Our Wolf's Memorial Page

http://petsupports.com/a04/sakari.htm

#153    Artaxerxes

Artaxerxes

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 303 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 01:29 AM

Whales, Dolphins, Elephants, Porpoises, Gorillas, Chimpanzees, Bonobos, Parrots, and possibly quite a few other species are sentient, and/or "conscious", and hunting and killing them is very similar to hunting and killing humans as far as I'm concerned.  

They should be given "personhood" status; not that it would stop the Japanese and other cultures from killing and eating them.    They hunt and kill and eat gorillas and chimpanzees in Africa which makes me sad.

Art

#154    Heaven Is A Halfpipe

Heaven Is A Halfpipe

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 914 posts

• Hi. My name is Spike.

Posted 20 March 2013 - 01:46 AM

Yes, "heartless" for giving a sht about the poor wildlife on this planet that is slaughtered each and every day just so you can have yourself a chicken burger at McDonalds ;)

I care about 9/11 :) go ahead on your tirade to now demonise me further than you've already tried. You give a sht about those who died on 9/11 but don't give a damn for the innocent animals who die every day, unless they're endangered? Am I following this right? YOUR logic is it's okay to kill if there is a lot of population, not mine. I'm anti killing, period :tu:  Take a look in the mirror my friend :)

Edited by The Skater Boy, 20 March 2013 - 01:49 AM.

You can go the distance, you can run the mile and you can walk straight through HELL with a smile.

#155    Yamato

Yamato

Forum Divinity

• 10,877 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 01:57 AM

View PostMyles, on 08 March 2013 - 01:09 PM, said:

Are you also against deer hunting? Turkey? Fishing?
If populations of turkey or deer were counted in the tens of thousands instead of the tens of millions, you better believe that, like whales, I'd be against hunting those species.

Fishing is the most ecologically destructive industry on the face of the earth.  The exception would be farm-raised fish, and the determining factor is whether or not a species can be farmed so we're not unwitting dupes participating in the economics of extinction.   Some kinds of fish can be, like salmon.  Other kinds cannot, like tuna.   The oceans affect the entire planet, they require the planet's attention.  We're absolutely raping our oceans so yeah I'm against "fishing" when we're fishing out the oceans and destroying entire ecosystems for little to no good reason. .

"Peace cannot be achieved by force, only by understanding."  ~ Albert Einstein

"To deny people their human rights is to challenge their very humanity.   To impose on them a wretched life of hunger and deprivation is to dehumanize them." ~ Nelson Mandela

#156    Sakari

Sakari

tohi

• 12,553 posts

• Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Posted 20 March 2013 - 01:59 AM

View PostThe Skater Boy, on 20 March 2013 - 01:46 AM, said:

Yes, "heartless" for giving a sht about the poor wildlife on this planet that is slaughtered each and every day just so you can have yourself a chicken burger at McDonalds ;)

I care about 9/11 :) go ahead on your tirade to now demonise me further than you've already tried. You give a sht about those who died on 9/11 but don't give a damn for the innocent animals who die every day, unless they're endangered? Am I following this right? YOUR logic is it's okay to kill if there is a lot of population, not mine. I'm anti killing, period :tu:  Take a look in the mirror my friend :)

I bow hunted for over 20 years. I bird hunted also. I know a lot about sustaining populations of wildlife. I have not hunted in over 10 years, do not care to anymore. I love my steak though.

I do not care if you do not eat meat, if you do not wear clothes, if you love God, or if you are gay or heterosexual. What you do is your business, what I do is mine..

I do hate the fact that people are killing Whales and Dolphins. ( Japanese )

No one should ever us 9/11 victims as a example when it comes to animals. That is just sick. And there is no excuse for that.

Our Wolf's Memorial Page

#157    Heaven Is A Halfpipe

Heaven Is A Halfpipe

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 914 posts

• Hi. My name is Spike.

Posted 20 March 2013 - 02:12 AM

So you're saying human life is more important than animal life, that's fine - like I said, people have differing belief systems :) nothing "sick" about begging to differ. Life is life to me and nothing is more important than anything else.

#158    Sakari

Sakari

tohi

• 12,553 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 02:22 AM

View PostThe Skater Boy, on 20 March 2013 - 02:12 AM, said:

So you're saying human life is more important than animal life, that's fine - like I said, people have differing belief systems :) nothing "sick" about begging to differ. Life is life to me and nothing is more important than anything else.

As I said in the PM.....9/11 is very personal to me, and many others. If you had said humans, that would have been different. My sister feels the same as you.

I also feel Dogs are better then humans by far. Unconditional love, something we do not have. ( very rare )

Chickens cows and pigs, yes, we will have to disagree.

Our Wolf's Memorial Page

#159    Heaven Is A Halfpipe

Heaven Is A Halfpipe

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 914 posts

• Hi. My name is Spike.

Posted 20 March 2013 - 02:31 AM

I apologise, as I did in the PM, if it was a little unsensitive of me. I do value animal life and human with the same weight, so we will indeed have to agree to disagree.

Again, sorry if my comment was hurtful.

#160    CrimsonKing

CrimsonKing

Common Sense Aficionado

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,575 posts

• "It does not require a majority to prevail,but rather an irate,tireless minority keen to set brushfires in peoples minds" Sam Adams

Posted 20 March 2013 - 09:42 AM

One odd coincidence i have noticed from this and a few other threads

Most Americans who are for gun rights are against hunting certain species.

Most Europeans who are anti-gun are all for hunting all species equally.

Then we have the odd few like coffey (no offense meant btw) who are against guns and against hunting certain species.

Just a observation back to topic for any discussing haha

"If it is not advantageous,do not move.If objectives can not be attained,do not employ the army.Unless endangered do not engage in warfare.The ruler cannot mobilize the army out of personal anger.The general can not engage in battle because of personal frustration.When it is advantageous,move;when not advantageous,stop.Anger can revert to happiness,annoyance can revert to joy,but a vanquished state cannot be revived,the dead cannot be brought back to life." Sun-Tzu

#161    FLOMBIE

FLOMBIE

sapere aude

• 2,654 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 09:49 AM

I don't think there is any connection, though. Two completely different topics.

#162    CrimsonKing

CrimsonKing

Common Sense Aficionado

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,575 posts

• "It does not require a majority to prevail,but rather an irate,tireless minority keen to set brushfires in peoples minds" Sam Adams

Posted 20 March 2013 - 09:53 AM

View PostFLOMBIE, on 20 March 2013 - 09:49 AM, said:

I don't think there is any connection, though. Two completely different topics.

Didnt mean it in a bad way,just how our cultures differ has a few common factors that are shared.Might be a way of seeing some reasoning between our debates sometimes.

"If it is not advantageous,do not move.If objectives can not be attained,do not employ the army.Unless endangered do not engage in warfare.The ruler cannot mobilize the army out of personal anger.The general can not engage in battle because of personal frustration.When it is advantageous,move;when not advantageous,stop.Anger can revert to happiness,annoyance can revert to joy,but a vanquished state cannot be revived,the dead cannot be brought back to life." Sun-Tzu

#163    FLOMBIE

FLOMBIE

sapere aude

• 2,654 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 10:02 AM

Most people you'd ask in Germany would tell you they are strictly against whaling. My position is the minority. And I am also not really pro whaling, as I am not really anti gun. I'm somewhere in the middle.
That said I think minke whaling might be alright, if set limits won't be exceeded and the population is kept under observation but blue whales, for example, should not be hunted.

#164    Myles

Myles

Alien Abducter

• 4,501 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 02:58 PM

View PostYamato, on 20 March 2013 - 01:57 AM, said:

If populations of turkey or deer were counted in the tens of thousands instead of the tens of millions, you better believe that, like whales, I'd be against hunting those species.

Fishing is the most ecologically destructive industry on the face of the earth.  The exception would be farm-raised fish, and the determining factor is whether or not a species can be farmed so we're not unwitting dupes participating in the economics of extinction.   Some kinds of fish can be, like salmon.  Other kinds cannot, like tuna.   The oceans affect the entire planet, they require the planet's attention.  We're absolutely raping our oceans so yeah I'm against "fishing" when we're fishing out the oceans and destroying entire ecosystems for little to no good reason. .

Fair enough.    So for you it's not about the cruelty, it is about preserving the animals with lower populations.

#165    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 14,372 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 20 March 2013 - 03:11 PM

Animals that show evidence of advanced intelligence should not be killed if at all possible.  That just makes sense.

The question then is where do we draw the line.  Are human beings the only ones protected by that rule?  I would rather err on the side of caution and not kill primates or cetacians.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users