Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * - - 2 votes

• Please log in to reply
150 replies to this topic

#16    Godsnmbr1

Godsnmbr1

The Bee's Knees

• 2,317 posts

• There's someone in my head
    but it's not me

Posted 01 April 2009 - 09:00 AM

Emma_Acid on Apr 1 2009, 09:54 AM, said:

Oriana, almost everything you put in that post is incorrect.

I would go into it but I've spent more time writing on 2012 threads then I have on any other. To you and the OP - the internet is chocker with garbage as it is. Use the search function rather than add to the pile.

What a wonderful contribution to the thread    thumbsup.gif

Remember, we are all just acting out a grand old game here, where we agree to forget who we really are, that in the remembering, that we may find each other again, and know that we are One. That All of Life, is One.

#17    MysticOnion

MysticOnion

The Intersect

• 3,675 posts

• That's so awesome I can't watch the road. ((SCREEECH OF BRAKES... CRRRAAASSSHHHH)))

Posted 01 April 2009 - 09:05 AM

Emma_Acid on Apr 1 2009, 09:54 AM, said:

Oriana, almost everything you put in that post is incorrect.

I would go into it but I've spent more time writing on 2012 threads then I have on any other. To you and the OP - the internet is chocker with garbage as it is. Use the search function rather than add to the pile.

Ok so we aren't going to have the precessional alignment?  No transit of Venus?  No Solar Maximum?  Then why would a reputable channel like the History Channel air such a programme?  Do you really know whats going to happen?  If so you should post it so that there's no confusion.

Edit:  According to some websites these are the 2012 predictions - check them out.  And the thing about the cro-magnon man appearing on the scene 26,000 years ago at the last precessional alignment.

http://alignment2012.com/whatisGA.htm

http://www.2012churchofdoom.com/yellowston...eruption-coming

http://theviewwest.com/2008/02/08/when-wil...lowstone-erupt/

http://www.absoluteastronomy.com/topics/Red_Lady_of_Paviland

Look, I dont wanna be a scaremonger and to be honest I don't want anything to happen in 2012, I want to wake up and live my life as normal and I want that to be the same for everybody else.  However what they are saying about this time seems very possible, and we have to acknowledge that instead of just thinking everything will be ok, in Hurricane Katrina nobody thought it would be as bad as it was either and it was an enormous disaster - do not be complacent.

Edited by Oriana, 01 April 2009 - 09:24 AM.

Posted Image

Gun Bondage?

#18    Emma_Acid

Emma_Acid

Alien Abducter

• 4,556 posts

• Godspeed MID

Posted 01 April 2009 - 11:11 AM

OK, I will do this one last time.

Oriana on Apr 1 2009, 10:05 AM, said:

Ok so we aren't going to have the precessional alignment?

"Precessional alignment" is nonsense. We can't measure how long the earth's precession is because it is constantly changing. It is roughly 25,700 years. So how on earth can you pin point it down to 1 year? Can you find me one academic text that does this?

No transit of Venus?

There was also one in 2004. What has this got to do with anything?

No Solar Maximum?

Again, this happened in 2001. And the one before that in 1990. And the one before that in 1979. So what?

Then why would a reputable channel like the History Channel air such a programme?

History Channel don't make their own programs.

Do you really know whats going to happen?

What do you mean "going to happen"? Exactly the same that happened in 2011 and will happen in 2013. And if something unusual does happen, it won't be because of any "galactic events".

QUOTE (Oriana @ Apr 1 2009, 10:05 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Edit:  According to some websites these are the 2012 predictions - check them out.  And the thing about the cro-magnon man appearing on the scene 26,000 years ago at the last precessional alignment.

http://alignment2012.com/whatisGA.htm

http://www.2012churchofdoom.com/yellowston...eruption-coming

http://theviewwest.com/2008/02/08/when-wil...lowstone-erupt/

http://www.absoluteastronomy.com/topics/Red_Lady_of_Paviland

Ah, brilliant. 2012churchofdoom.com.

Well, that's going to be objective, scientific information then isn't it?

There are no predictions, anywhere, about 2012. None. There simply aren't.  Also, there is no "alignment". Two points are always aligned. There is no "Dark Rift" in the galaxy. This pseudo science nonsense.

Right. Next....

What does the precession have to do with either the Maya or Cro Magnon?

The last Maya long count ended in 1618. What does this have to do with precession?

The oldest Cro Magnon found is 36,000 years old. What does Cro Magnon "appearing on the scene" have to do with anything? The most recent Cro Magnon examples date to about 10,000 years ago. The end of the ice ace. When modern h. homo sapiens spread, and probably engulfed the cro magnon.

What does any of this have to do with precession?

You just keep listing stuff that has nothing to do with the rest of it, dates that don't match and eye-wateringly embarrassing scientific inaccuracies.

QUOTE (Oriana @ Apr 1 2009, 10:05 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
However what they are saying about this time seems very possible, and we have to acknowledge that instead of just thinking everything will be ok, in Hurricane Katrina nobody thought it would be as bad as it was either and it was an enormous disaster - do not be complacent.

What seems possible??? And HOW???? None of this is even related, half the stuff you're waffling about happens very regularly and has always done, the rest is so vague we can't put a date to it. You throw some ancient (non existent) prophecies into the mix and suddenly think we're on the verge of a disaster.

It. Is. Nonsense.

"Science is the least subjective form of deduction" ~ A. Mulder

#19    Sylent Nyte

Sylent Nyte

Remote Viewer

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 574 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 11:17 AM

Emma_Acid on Apr 1 2009, 11:11 AM, said:

It. Is. Nonsense.

NONSENSE? THIS. IS. SPARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR...okay, I'll stop now.  laugh.gif

#20    Mattshark

Mattshark

stuff

• 16,985 posts

• Sea Shepherd, making conservation harder.

If you care about wildlife, do not support these pirates.......

Posted 01 April 2009 - 11:22 AM

Ok so we aren't going to have the precessional alignment?  No transit of Venus?  No Solar Maximum?  Then why would a reputable channel like the History Channel air such a programme?  Do you really know whats going to happen?  If so you should post it so that there's no confusion.

The History channel is not reputable imo. They are interested in profit and entertainment over accuracy.

Algae : Protists not Plants!

YNWA

#21    Emma_Acid

Emma_Acid

Alien Abducter

• 4,556 posts

• Godspeed MID

Posted 01 April 2009 - 11:25 AM

From this site:

Is it true that the next caldera-forming eruption of Yellowstone is overdue?

"No."

#22    JamieSymptom

JamieSymptom

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,403 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 11:45 AM

I know what's gonna happen in 2012 - naff all.

Just like the millenium.

I'd bet money on it. Maybe I'll find out if there's anywhere offering decent odds that nothing cataclysmic will happen and indeed put some money on it.

Posted Image

#23    Beckys_Mom

Beckys_Mom

Sarcastic Muppet..!

• 51,196 posts

• "I hate pretentious people. I mean, what is the point in applying exorbitantly extensive vocabulary, it is just straightforwardly unnecessary".

Posted 01 April 2009 - 11:46 AM

Omnaka on Apr 1 2009, 04:39 AM, said:

My dog says she's hard of hearing too, I know she laughs at me when I call her.

Love Omnaka

Darlin....man has been giving so many dates to state the end of the world lol......I recall threads  (countless threads) people panicking thinking  that june 6th 2006 was the end...and these people actually believed it...nothing happened. just like the rest of the year dates over centuries all saying the same thing..and we are all still here

2012 is no different..I will bet anything...that some of us that post regularly on this board..in 2012 we wont see a difference, well apart from us all getting a tad older lol....

If god was going to end it all.....he will do so without setting a date LMAO grin2.gif

I can just pic a religious person going to a job interview..and with one of the most common questions being - So how do you see yourself in the next 5 years?.<--them saying ohhh its just 2009 now so I can safely say in the next 3 years from now hopefully I'll still be working away and going strong...cuz after that times up we are all going to be judged lol nah I so cannot see anyone say that LOL

I never understood  so many people that conduct an interview would ask - how do you see yourself in the next 5 years??  <----you could get run over by a truck the following morning...so its best to live for the moment lol  tongue.gif  take each day as it comes LMAO

Posted ImageRAW Berris... Dare you enter?

If there's a heaven...I hope to hell I get there !

#24    MysticOnion

MysticOnion

The Intersect

• 3,675 posts

• That's so awesome I can't watch the road. ((SCREEECH OF BRAKES... CRRRAAASSSHHHH)))

Posted 01 April 2009 - 12:44 PM

Emma_Acid on Apr 1 2009, 12:11 PM, said:

OK, I will do this one last time.

Thank you.

"Precessional alignment" is nonsense. We can't measure how long the earth's precession is because it is constantly changing. It is roughly 25,700 years. So how on earth can you pin point it down to 1 year? Can you find me one academic text that does this?

No - but that programme on the history channel was saying that the Mayans calculated it to the winter solstice of our year 2012.  

There was also one in 2004. What has this got to do with anything?

She asked, forgetting about the Tsunami.

Again, this happened in 2001. And the one before that in 1990. And the one before that in 1979. So what?

The effects are - the solar winds are stronger, this affectes the ionosphere of the Earth, and the geodynamo magnetic field  

History Channel don't make their own programs.

I never said that, I asked why they would allow an inaccuracy like this on their channel.  Why did they air it then?

QUOTE (Emma_Acid @ Apr 1 2009, 12:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What do you mean "going to happen"? Exactly the same that happened in 2011 and will happen in 2013. And if something unusual does happen, it won't be because of any "galactic events"

Did someone tell you that or did you think of that yourself?

Ah, brilliant. 2012churchofdoom.com.

Well, that's going to be objective, scientific information then isn't it?

There are no predictions, anywhere, about 2012. None. There simply aren't.  Also, there is no "alignment". Two points are always aligned. There is no "Dark Rift" in the galaxy. This pseudo science nonsense."

So all those pictures showing  the dark rift are..what...exactly?

Right. Next....

What does the precession have to do with either the Maya or Cro Magnon?

Well because of the precession of the equinoxes, the Earth wobbles on its axis.  The Mayans constructed their calendar to take account of this wobble. Also according to the History Channel, the cro-magnon man appeared on the Earth during the last Precessional alignment

The last Maya long count ended in 1618. What does this have to do with precession?

Yes, that was what they called a b aktun apparently.
http://www.mayan-calendar.com/cal_ancient_3_longcount.php
It just shows their perception of time - they constructed a calendar based on the stars and obviously the precession of the equinoxes.

The oldest Cro Magnon found is 36,000 years old. What does Cro Magnon "appearing on the scene" have to do with anything? The most recent Cro Magnon examples date to about 10,000 years ago. The end of the ice ace. When modern h. homo sapiens spread, and probably engulfed the cro magnon.

It may have taken them some time to become established but according to that programme, they were here at that time, the dominant species etc thus APPEARING.. referring to being the dominant species of human being.

What does any of this have to do with precession?

A calendar, an appearance of a new species and big changes... ok but I don't believe in coincidence so I won't say that.  Its because the precessional alignment marks a place in time when things change

You just keep listing stuff that has nothing to do with the rest of it, dates that don't match and eye-wateringly embarrassing scientific inaccuracies.

No I don't.  You just said it was, that doesn't mean it is what you said it is.

What seems possible??? And HOW???? None of this is even related, half the stuff you're waffling about happens very regularly and has always done, the rest is so vague we can't put a date to it. You throw some ancient (non existent) prophecies into the mix and suddenly think we're on the verge of a disaster.

It. Is. Nonsense.

Well I hope it is nonsense.  We'll all look like total idiots for ignoring the warnings if it isn't then won't we?

Edit:  This is a pretty good site I found.  http://www.survive2012.com/why_2012_alignment.php

I also just want to make it clear that I am relating info from other sources and haven't actually generated any of this info myself.

Edited by Oriana, 01 April 2009 - 01:04 PM.

Posted Image

Gun Bondage?

#25    Doug1o29

Doug1o29

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,476 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 01:35 PM

cateyes221981 on Mar 31 2009, 10:09 PM, said:

anyone? ideas? or nothing?

Just my luck!  Winter, but no Christmas.  Doug

If I have seen farther than other men, it is because I stood on the shoulders of giants. --Bernard de Chartres
The beginning of knowledge is the realization that one doesn't and cannot know everything.
Science is the father of knowledge, but opinion breeds ignorance. --Hippocrates
Ignorance is not an opinion. --Adam Scott

#26    Doug1o29

Doug1o29

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,476 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 01:40 PM

Oriana on Apr 1 2009, 03:25 AM, said:

I was just saying what was on the history channel.  If its wrong then sorry about that but you'd think these historians would know their stuff wouldn't you?

I have to say it again:  The History Channel and the Discover Channel are about entertainment.  They are only marginally related to history or science.  Be careful what you take from them.  They can be very misleading.
Doug

If I have seen farther than other men, it is because I stood on the shoulders of giants. --Bernard de Chartres
The beginning of knowledge is the realization that one doesn't and cannot know everything.

#27    Doug1o29

Doug1o29

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,476 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 02:02 PM

Oriana on Apr 1 2009, 04:05 AM, said:

Ok so we aren't going to have the precessional alignment?

That will happen, but I don't see any reason for alarm.  There is nothing to indicate any problems coming from the direction of Sagitarius 'A'.

No transit of Venus?

A transit of Venus can be observed from earth about every eighteen months.  How many have you already experienced?  Did you know it happened?  Why should this time be any different?

No Solar Maximum?

The last solar minimum was in August 2008.  The next solar maximum will be between 4.5 and 5.5 years after that.  Sometime between February 2013 and February 2014.  What could happen?  How about a melt-off of the Arctic ice cap (Global climate warms during solar maxima.)?  If you're looking for a Doomsday scenario, that could be it.  It won't be real dramatic at the time - you'll barely notice it if it happens.  But over several years, it could radically change earth's weather.

Will it happen?  It's going to be close.  There's no real way to predict it at the moment.  We'll have to wait and see.

Then why would a reputable channel like the History Channel air such a programme?

Because their business is entertainment, not history.

Do you really know whats going to happen?

No.  Nobody does.  But there's no reason to believe 2012 will be much different from any other year.
Doug

#28    3rd rock resident alien

3rd rock resident alien

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,673 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 02:07 PM

Worldwide festivities for the Sun. 2012 is all about the Sun.
As the Mayan Calendar ends. Mayan Calendar II starts.

MC1 Dec. 21, 2012 ends  MC2 Dec.22, 2012 starts

The  Holy Council of the Conscious Gods
God in Real time. Almighty Supernatural Mega Spiritual Life Giver
In the absence of your god, Almighty Sun will always be with you.
Twinkle Twinkle Little Star. How I Wonder What You Are.

#29    Doug1o29

Doug1o29

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,476 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 02:16 PM

Oriana on Apr 1 2009, 02:23 AM, said:

So in a nutshell - should our planet be entirely destroyed by a super volcano and its knock on effects, it won't affect the humans who have ascended as beings of light, who can in fact travel anywhere in the universe whenever and wherever they decide to go.

Only three super-eruptions of Yellowstone have been solidly dated.  That's not much information to go on if you're trying to forecast the next event.  The standard error for the interval is in the hundreds of thousands of years.  The floor of the Yellowstone caldera is rising at about three inches per year, but it has ebbed and flowed in the past, so we have no real way to tell if that means anything.  At the time of the last super-eruption there were glaciers on top of Yellowstone.  There aren't any today, so at three inches a year, it's likely to be a long time before this condition exists again.

There are other large volcanoes and one of them could go off and solve the global warming problem for us, but that's not real likely anytime soon.
Doug

#30    Emma_Acid

Emma_Acid

Alien Abducter

• 4,556 posts

• Godspeed MID

Posted 01 April 2009 - 02:41 PM

Oriana on Apr 1 2009, 01:44 PM, said:

No - but that programme on the history channel was saying that the Mayans calculated it to the winter solstice of our year 2012.

Um, no. The Maya long count (which was adapted from early calendars BTW, so isn't actually of Maya origin) is a cycle of 394 years. The latest one rolls over in December 2012.

There is no evidence, anywhere, ever, that the long count is based on precession, and it can't be, as the timespan of precession is always changing. A calendar used to measure it would be constantly going out of date. We don't know exactly how long precession is. Why would the Maya?

The duration of the precession cycle, the time it takes for the equinox to precess 360 degrees relative to the fixed stars, is often given as 25,920 or 26,000 years. In reality the exact duration cannot be given, as the rate of precession is changing over time. This speed is currently 243.8 microradians (50.3 arcseconds) per year which would give 25,765 years for one cycle to complete.

Source

That means that a long count is exactly 65.3934040101 of a precession's Great Year. Wow. Spot on guys.

The effects are - the solar winds are stronger, this affectes the ionosphere of the Earth, and the geodynamo magnetic field

Again, this happens every 11 years. What does this have to do with... well, anything else? What changes and events happened in 2001? Or in 1990? Like I say, how is this related to anything that "could" happen in 2012?

So all those pictures showing  the dark rift are..what...exactly?

I stand corrected - I was going on the description of the Dark Rift from a different forum that claimed it was something to do with a black hole at the centre of the galaxy.

The Great Rift is an interstellar dust cloud that blocks the light from stars shining beyond it. These dust clouds are generally found on the inner edges of spiral arms; they're also where most of the new stars are forming.

Source

This still has nothing to do with the Maya, precession, Venus or the solar cycle.

I never said that, I asked why they would allow an inaccuracy like this on their channel.  Why did they air it then?

The History Channel are an entertainment channel. They also air programmes on UFOs and Nostradamus. Do they get their programmes peer reviewed first? Of course they don't.

I saw one about the Maya calendar on the History Channel and what was the first image they showed? An Aztec calendar. A good 400 years out, and the wrong part of the continent.

Did someone tell you that or did you think of that yourself?

I come from a null-hypothesis position - that is, I look at the evidence first, and then form a conclusion. If there is no substantial evidence, then the conclusion must be that nothing out of the ordinary will happen.

Such an enormous, cataclysmic event requires a huge amount of solid, objective, proven evidence in many areas - astrophysics, history, cultural studies to name a couple.

Not circumstantial pseudo-science from a website that doesn't even know when to use the word "Maya" and the word "Mayan", or thinks that a pole shift would tip the entire planet over.

QUOTE (Oriana @ Apr 1 2009, 01:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Edit:  This is a pretty good site I found.  http://www.survive2012.com/why_2012_alignment.php

*sigh*

Well because of the precession of the equinoxes, the Earth wobbles on its axis.  The Mayans constructed their calendar to take account of this wobble. Also according to the History Channel, the cro-magnon man appeared on the Earth during the last Precessional alignment

No. They. Didn't. There is no correlation between any calendar and precession - as I said - it is constantly changing.

And, no, that is just plain wrong about the cro magnon.

The oldest definitely dated specimen is from 34,000–36,000 years ago

Source

It may have taken them some time to become established but according to that programme, they were here at that time, the dominant species etc thus APPEARING.. referring to being the dominant species of human being.

Well despite you have your timings completely wrong, what does it have to do with anything???

A calendar, an appearance of a new species and big changes... ok but I don't believe in coincidence so I won't say that.  Its because the precessional alignment marks a place in time when things change

No. It. Doesn't.

You've been told it does, have done no research at all (apart from dredge up the usual, factually shocking 2012 websites) and have no evidence of precession being relevant to anything.

No I don't.  You just said it was, that doesn't mean it is what you said it is.

Your dates are wrong. Your information is demonstrably inaccurate. As I said - there is nothing in that post that is correct, and this isn't just my "opinion".

Well I hope it is nonsense.  We'll all look like total idiots for ignoring the warnings if it isn't then won't we?

Warnings?

Man alive.

(edit, spelling and overuse of italics, bolding and capitals)

Edited by Emma_Acid, 01 April 2009 - 02:48 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users