Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

At Last! A computer that never crashes

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#16    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 14,945 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 19 February 2013 - 12:35 PM

Which, if you think about it, seems to be what we did -- build ourselves, except we call it evolve.

#17    Twinkle Arora is back

Twinkle Arora is back

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 202 posts

• Mythical Awareness

Posted 19 February 2013 - 01:09 PM

If you ask me we should not actually give them the ability to reprogram themselves, not because that they will take over humanity or stuff like that but because I don't trust them that they would reprogram themselves in a proper way.
I mean I don't want a drones flying above me reprogramming itself without any human interference.

Its a great concept but they should not apply this to something like drones i.e. giving machines too much control, that could prove dangerous.

#18    shrooma

shrooma

Government Agent

• Banned
  • 3,985 posts

• Live.
    Sin.
    Die.

Posted 19 February 2013 - 01:20 PM

View PostFrank Merton, on 19 February 2013 - 12:35 PM, said:

Which, if you think about it, seems to be what we did -- build ourselves, except we call it evolve.
_
this is quite true. DNA is a remarkable self-replicating mechanism, and computer scientists are making great strides these days in AI by introducing random mutations into programmes, mimicking the evolutionary process, so who knows just how close we are to a new, silicon based sentience...?

"Get off your knees, the party's over."
-How do you sleep-
The Stone Roses.

#19    shrooma

shrooma

Government Agent

• Banned
  • 3,985 posts

• Live.
    Sin.
    Die.

Posted 19 February 2013 - 01:33 PM

View PostTwinkle Arora is back, on 19 February 2013 - 01:09 PM, said:

If you ask me we should not actually give them the ability to reprogram themselves,
_
if a machine ever achieves true sentience, we may not have any choice in the matter, as by definition, it would have to be able to autonomously reprogramme itself for the learning process to occour.
but it's not ALL doom+gloom, as john conner is alive and well somewhere down new mexico way.....
:-)

-How do you sleep-
The Stone Roses.

#20    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 14,945 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 19 February 2013 - 01:40 PM

What's with the doom and gloom?  We just get to be chimpanzees.

#21    Twinkle Arora is back

Twinkle Arora is back

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 202 posts

• Mythical Awareness

Posted 19 February 2013 - 01:46 PM

View Postshrooma, on 19 February 2013 - 01:33 PM, said:

_
if a machine ever achieves true sentience, we may not have any choice in the matter, as by definition, it would have to be able to autonomously reprogramme itself for the learning process to occour.
but it's not ALL doom+gloom, as john conner is alive and well somewhere down new mexico way.....

Haha I am sure that terminators from the future are on they way for him.

#22    shrooma

shrooma

Government Agent

• Banned
  • 3,985 posts

• Live.
    Sin.
    Die.

Posted 19 February 2013 - 01:55 PM

View PostTwinkle Arora is back, on 19 February 2013 - 01:46 PM, said:

Haha I am sure that terminators from the future are on they way for him.
_
god, I hope so!
T2would be soooo much better (if such a thing is possible!) if it was a news report, and not just a great sci-fi movie!

-How do you sleep-
The Stone Roses.

#23    shrooma

shrooma

Government Agent

• Banned
  • 3,985 posts

• Live.
    Sin.
    Die.

Posted 19 February 2013 - 01:58 PM

View PostFrank Merton, on 19 February 2013 - 01:40 PM, said:

What's with the doom and gloom?  We just get to be chimpanzees.
_

speak for yourself!
i'd rather be in general urko's gorilla army, that's where all the fun'll be happenin'!!

Edited by shrooma, 19 February 2013 - 01:59 PM.

-How do you sleep-
The Stone Roses.

#24    ExpandMyMind

ExpandMyMind

Telekinetic

• 6,643 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 02:02 PM

View Postshrooma, on 19 February 2013 - 12:28 PM, said:

-
no need to worry about it just yet old love-my army of borg drones are on a regeneration cycle at the moment.....
i'm suprised it wasn't invented in scotland to be honest, seeing as the scots seem to have invented just about everything else!

Haha. Those days seem to be long gone. Just the odd instance every now and then unfortunately.

#25    ExpandMyMind

ExpandMyMind

Telekinetic

• 6,643 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 02:09 PM

View PostTwinkle Arora is back, on 19 February 2013 - 01:09 PM, said:

If you ask me we should not actually give them the ability to reprogram themselves, not because that they will take over humanity or stuff like that but because I don't trust them that they would reprogram themselves in a proper way.
I mean I don't want a drones flying above me reprogramming itself without any human interference.

Its a great concept but they should not apply this to something like drones i.e. giving machines too much control, that could prove dangerous.

I'm not sure that they Will have the ability to reprogram themselves in the sense that they Will be able to analyse a problem then actually 'manually' produce code. I would have thought it more along the lines of diagnosing a problem, then implementing code already written, by a human, with the specific fault or error in mind.

Maybe I'm wrong but I doubt it. Artificial intelligence is still miles away, even combining all of the world's supercomputers. In fact, I highly doubt that it Will ever be possible with a binary system.

#26    shrooma

shrooma

Government Agent

• Banned
  • 3,985 posts

• Live.
    Sin.
    Die.

Posted 19 February 2013 - 02:09 PM

View PostExpandMyMind, on 19 February 2013 - 02:02 PM, said:

Haha. Those days seem to be long gone. Just the odd instance every now and then unfortunately.
_
oh, I dunno, have you TRIED deep fried pizza??
and I hope the guy who invented square sausage died a multi-multi millionare, peacefully in bed, aged 185, surrounded by his fifteen kids, sixty grandkids, and his stunning 25yo wife, such is the regard I hold for a man of such genius!!

-How do you sleep-
The Stone Roses.

#27    shrooma

shrooma

Government Agent

• Banned
  • 3,985 posts

• Live.
    Sin.
    Die.

Posted 19 February 2013 - 02:22 PM

View PostExpandMyMind, on 19 February 2013 - 02:09 PM, said:

In fact, I highly doubt that it Will ever be possible with a binary system.
_
the way computers work at the moment, is by passing an electric charge between two different points, in a binary I/O gateway. however, with chip capacity doubling every 18mths or so by refining the manufacturing process to get twice as many connections into the same space, we're rapidly approaching the point were the distance of the gap will be smaller than the diameter of an electron, so something new, and more exotic, had better be on the horizon, or the computer industry is going to come griding to a halt!

-How do you sleep-
The Stone Roses.

#28    ExpandMyMind

ExpandMyMind

Telekinetic

• 6,643 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 02:22 PM

View Postshrooma, on 19 February 2013 - 02:09 PM, said:

_
oh, I dunno, have you TRIED deep fried pizza??
and I hope the guy who invented square sausage died a multi-multi millionare, peacefully in bed, aged 185, surrounded by his fifteen kids, sixty grandkids, and his stunning 25yo wife, such is the regard I hold for a man of such genius!!

Aye, I must admit, both of the creations you mention are awesome, especially square sausage (had some for breakfast). :D

#29    ExpandMyMind

ExpandMyMind

Telekinetic

• 6,643 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 02:33 PM

View Postshrooma, on 19 February 2013 - 02:22 PM, said:

_
the way computers work at the moment, is by passing an electric charge between two different points, in a binary I/O gateway. however, with chip capacity doubling every 18mths or so by refining the manufacturing process to get twice as many connections into the same space, we're rapidly approaching the point were the distance of the gap will be smaller than the diameter of an electron, so something new, and more exotic, had better be on the horizon, or the computer industry is going to come griding to a halt!

As far as I'm aware, the exponential growth of switches on a processor is expected to start slowing more rapidly (Moore's law used to be every year). There just isn't enough room anymore, as you state. I mean there had to be a limit.

If you look at the Wiki page for quantum computing you'll see that there have been a few cases over the past years where researchers, including IBM, have stated that they have almost demonstrated working quantum computers.

If and when that day comes it's goodnight to the world as we know it. Goodnight to online privacy. Today's standard encryptions Will be obsolete and easy to penetrate. Very few understand (and I include myself in this) just how powerful a quantum computer Will be.

#30    ExpandMyMind

ExpandMyMind

Telekinetic

• 6,643 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 02:39 PM

To put it into perspective:

' According to IBM, a 250-qubit system "contains more bits of information than there are atoms in the universe." In contrast to a traditional bit, which can either have the value "0" or "1", a qubit can have "0", "1" and both values at the same time.'

http://m.tomshardwar...ters,14832.html

*gasp*

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users