Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Beleive It Or Not, A Sceptic Is Someone Who:

• Please log in to reply
111 replies to this topic

#16    Jackofalltrades

Jackofalltrades

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 747 posts

• Never put off until tomorrow what you can do today...
    As You don't know what tomorrow bring's.......

Posted 05 October 2012 - 12:00 AM

I must be a skeptic then....... as I do not believe what the American government's story is, in regard's to 9/11

Posted Image

#17    lightly

lightly

metaphysical therapist

• 6,066 posts

• "The future ain't what it used to be"
    Yogi Berra

Posted 05 October 2012 - 12:01 AM

View PostHasina, on 04 October 2012 - 11:05 PM, said:

Everyone's a skeptic.
  ..ya,  everyone can be skeptical .

Important:  The above may contain errors, inaccuracies, omissions, and other limitations.

#18    Ashotep

Ashotep

Telekinetic

• 7,465 posts

• Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway-John Wayne

Posted 05 October 2012 - 12:48 AM

There are times I am skeptical.  It shows up almost every time I come on UM.

#19    Liquid Gardens

Liquid Gardens

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts

• "Or is it just remains of vibrations from echoes long ago"

Posted 05 October 2012 - 01:05 AM

View PostJamesThomas, on 04 October 2012 - 10:32 PM, said:

Most skeptics I know, don't really research very deep into anything, but rather trust the mainstream.

Hmmm, maybe I'm not getting it but that seems contradictory.  If they trust the mainstream the way I think you mean it then they're not skeptics, almost by definition; maybe you mean 'self-proclaimed skeptics'.  And sometimes people don't trust the mainstream, they agree with the mainstream, because some of what constitutes the mainstream is, well, factual.

It's the "conspiracy theorists" gawd I hate that term, that generally don't trust and so dig deeper to find what the masses gloss over.

True, and in that respect they'd be skeptical.  A key part of being a skeptic though is to apply that same level of skepticism, or even better more, to their own beliefs and conclusions; on that front there are definitely some CTs who come up short.

"You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into"
"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence" - C. Hitchens
"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool" - Richard Feynman

#20    Liquid Gardens

Liquid Gardens

Psychic Spy

• 1,703 posts

• "Or is it just remains of vibrations from echoes long ago"

Posted 05 October 2012 - 01:14 AM

View PostJamesThomas, on 04 October 2012 - 11:00 PM, said:

Who is it that believes JFK's murder was planned by members of our own government? Generally one with a doubting or questioning attitude who has spent hundreds of hours looking at the data (qualities related to a skeptic).
Who is it that sees that 9/11 points to an inside job? Generally one who has looked at the hundreds of questions and discrepancies that unfolded that day and days following (qualities given to a skeptic).

Yet it is now the skeptics who laugh at those who have done the investigations and who have walked away with deep questions. Now days the skeptic is not a brave soul who questions and goes against the crowd. He is the crowd.

Those who have done the investigations and who have walked away with deep questions usually don't stop there, they usually also start coming to conclusions of their own, and those conclusions deserve as much skepticism as they themselves have applied in their investigations.  Let's not confuse being skeptical with being correct.

"You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into"
"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence" - C. Hitchens
"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool" - Richard Feynman

#21    Euphorbia

Euphorbia

Odd Plant Grower

• 1,273 posts

• You can't just choose to believe something.

Believing in something doesn't make it true.

Posted 05 October 2012 - 01:14 AM

View PostJamesThomas, on 04 October 2012 - 11:00 PM, said:

Who is it that believes JFK's murder was planned by members of our own government? Generally one with a doubting or questioning attitude who has spent hundreds of hours looking at the data (qualities related to a skeptic).
Who is it that sees that 9/11 points to an inside job? Generally one who has looked at the hundreds of questions and discrepancies that unfolded that day and days following (qualities given to a skeptic).

Yet it is now the skeptics who laugh at those who have done the investigations and who have walked away with deep questions. Now days the skeptic is not a brave soul who questions and goes against the crowd. He is the crowd.

Skepticism works both ways.....I'm skeptical that 9/11 was an inside job and that JFK's murder was planned by our government. Hell, I'm skeptical of this thread....

Get three coffins ready.

My mistake, four coffins.

Separation of corporation and state!

#22    Sakari

Sakari

tohi

• 12,569 posts
  • Location:Safford, Arizona...My heart and soul are still on the Oregon Coast.

• Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Posted 05 October 2012 - 01:27 AM

View PostJamesThomas, on 04 October 2012 - 10:32 PM, said:

Hasina: "So... The people who are labeled 'skeptics' are... actually the conspiracy theorists?! That just wrinkled my brain."

That's exactly what happened to me. I may be crazy and perhaps reading it wrong...but it all seems backwards.

Most skeptics I know, don't really research very deep into anything, but rather trust the mainstream. It's the "conspiracy theorists" gawd I hate that term, that generally don't trust and so dig deeper to find what the masses gloss over.

Then you have not had the opportunity to know the skeptics here :)

Our Wolf's Memorial Page

http://petsupports.com/a04/sakari.htm

#23    booNyzarC

booNyzarC

Forum Divinity

• Closed
  • 13,536 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 01:59 AM

View PostSakari, on 05 October 2012 - 01:27 AM, said:

Then you have not had the opportunity to know the skeptics here :)

Hallelujah brother.  :tu:

#24    Arbenol

Arbenol

Psychic Spy

• 1,890 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 03:30 AM

I think the usage of the word 'sceptic' has changed and is now closer to it's origin:

from Latin scepticus, from Greek skeptikos one who reflects upon, from skeptesthai to consider

To me it means not to doubt, scoff or reject. But to question whether something has validity. So, for example, when people talk about 'climate change sceptics' they really mean deniers. We should all be sceptical, regardless of what side of an argument we find ourselves on.

#25    Michelle

Michelle

Forum Divinity

• 15,025 posts

• Eleanor Roosevelt: Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.

Posted 05 October 2012 - 03:41 AM

A good debater should be able to argue both sides.

#26    Likely Guy

Likely Guy

Undecided, mostly.

• 4,985 posts

• I might have been born yesterday but, I've been up all night.

Posted 05 October 2012 - 04:13 AM

"Beleive It Or Not, A Sceptic Is Someone Who:
habitually doubts the authenticity of accepted beliefs"

No they don't, they doubt the authenticity of purported beliefs.

#27    Obviousman

Obviousman

Spaced out and plane crazy

• 1,689 posts

• "Truth needs no defence. Nobody - NOBODY - can ever take the footsteps I made on the surface of the Moon away from me."
    Gene Cernan, Apollo 17

Posted 05 October 2012 - 04:36 AM

A sceptic / skeptic is one who applies critical thinking and scientific method to the examination of knowledge, perceptions and beliefs.

#28    Babe Ruth

Babe Ruth

Non-Corporeal Being

• 8,554 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 01:11 PM

So anybody can be a skeptic, I agree.  I say skepticism is healthy.

And ultimately skepticism is a function of one's own common sense.  If a person tells you that he was once the President of the US, you are skeptical of his claim unless you know you're talking to Jimmy Carter or Bill Clinton.

If a person well known for his mendacity tells you anything, you are skeptical of his claims because of his history.

#29    booNyzarC

booNyzarC

Forum Divinity

• Closed
  • 13,536 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 02:31 PM

View PostBabe Ruth, on 05 October 2012 - 01:11 PM, said:

So anybody can be a skeptic, I agree.  I say skepticism is healthy.

And ultimately skepticism is a function of one's own common sense.  If a person tells you that he was once the President of the US, you are skeptical of his claim unless you know you're talking to Jimmy Carter or Bill Clinton.

If a person well known for his mendacity tells you anything, you are skeptical of his claims because of his history.

Nice description of why hardly anybody takes anything you say seriously.

#30    RaptorBites

RaptorBites

Psychic Spy

• 2,089 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 05:40 PM

View PostLikely Guy, on 05 October 2012 - 04:13 AM, said:

"Beleive It Or Not, A Sceptic Is Someone Who:
habitually doubts the authenticity of accepted beliefs"

No they don't, they doubt the authenticity of purported beliefs.

By far, the best definition of a Skeptic.

No, you surround yourself with a whole different kettle of crazy. - Sir Wearer of Hats

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users