Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Scientists reverse ageing in mice

Saru

Harvard University researchers believe it may soon be possible to regenerate human organs.

Harvard scientists were surprised that they saw a dramatic reversal, not just a slowing down, of the ageing in mice. Now they believe they might be able to regenerate human organs.

arrow3.gifRead more...

Wow amazing! This was what i was hoping for n its really coming thru. I think longevity is soon becoming a reality

Edited by TheGreatBeliever

Wow amazing! This was what i was hoping for n its really coming thru. I think longevity is soon becoming a reality

Unless you are very rich this won't be an option for the average person.

Also that's if they don't put huge restrictions on it or keep it hidden form the general public.

We are destroying this planet already with out population. I doubt we will ever see this kind of thing being standard until we are colonizing other planets or something.

Getting off this rock should be the first and only real priority right now as a race.

• Like 1

the concept of doing that to humans feels me with excitment and fear

Much to like Coffey said, it's basically useless having the ability to reversal the aging process or stop it all together whilst being able to preserve bodily organs and reverse the effects of aged bodily organs because it will only be available to the high class elite or the "rich". Though I doubt even they would be able to get their hands on such things.. Why would anyone want other people to live longer than they should; I mean honestly what would be the point of living if everyone could live forever..

• Like 1

I want in on this. I have a piggy bank, and my psych say's that I consider myself "elite"

• Like 1

Harvard University researchers believe it may soon be possible to regenerate human organs.

Okay I'm going to spoil the show! I'm going to tell everyone how telomeres lengthening works in humans, what activates it and also what shortens them. But first a few words of caution.

Caution

Each cell in your body has a certain amount of telomeres. The stuff called telomeres determines how many times a cell can divide because with every cell division the telomeres shortens. When it runs out a cell cant divide anymore and either suicides itself or goes into a semi-dormant state called senescence. An accumulation of scenescene cells in the body is what aging is. The catch is when in the semi-dormant state dna damage accumulates (it doesnt suicide anymore when dna damage happens) so if the cell gets reactived by telomeres lengthening it could go cancerous.

Immortal Mice

The mice have been genetically engineered to knock-out the normal trigger for their cellular telomeres lengthening mechanism. Instead they have been engineered so that the chemotherapy drug tamoxifen is the trigger. They feed the mice the chemotherapy drug, their cellular telomeres lengthens and they de-age. The reason why they didnt just activate the mechanisms normally is because they have patented drugs they plan to sell to the public.

Telomeres Lengthening Mechanism

In all mammals (including unengineered mice and humans) the mechanism is activated by the female sex hormone estradiol (estrogen). This is why women live longer than men and why women on the estrogen contraceptive pill live on average the longest. To de-age a human all you would need to do is put them on a high dose of estrogen for a few months.

Food Sources of Estrogen

Ever wondered why drinking large amounts of whole cows milk and eating soya is linked to an increased risk of cancer? Its because they contain large amounts of estradiol and estradiol like compounds all of which lengthen your telomeres. The estradiol also reactives senescence cells which is where the increased risk of cancer comes from.

What Else Lengthens Them? (or slows down shortening)

B vitamins and 3x30 minutes of intense exercise per week, starvation with sufficent nutrition, dehydration, heat shock, cold shock, low doses of radiation, injury, infection and missing the occasional nights sleep. Fruit and vegatables because of Vitamin C and the pigments. Natural food colourings which you cant OD on (fruit and vegatable pigments in concentrate). Drinking womens urine (they used to do this in China). Diabetes medication.

What Shoterns Them?

The mineral iron in your diet shortens them (its a super-oxidative), eating fish (promoted as a healthy diet when it isnt) and processed meats. Scientists dont know why processed meat shortens your telomeres yet. Eating a well balanced diet (promoted as healthy) shortens them as does eating a poor diet. The aim is starvation with sufficent nutrition for most of the week with a couple of days where you feast (hunter gatherer diet).

End

If you wanted to live to 500 right now you would -

Day 1 - Mixed fruits and vegatables. 1 Pint of whole cows milk and all the water you want.

Day 2 - Starvation and dehydration (not to be done in hot weather as not drinking could be dangerous)

Repeat with 1 or 2 pig out days per week on unprocessed meat.

3x30 minutes of intense exercise per week.

You may also be interested in knowing there are different ways in which cells suicide themselves. Apoptosis is triggered in scenscence cells during famine or dehydration or in the middle of winter when you're freezing.

Edited by Mr Right Wing

Well, that's interesting, although long ago my biology professor warned the class about "ratomorphic" hypotheses or applying any information learned from rodents to human beings.

I have often wondered what would happen if the aging process would stop and was reversed, and people could stay young, pretty and healthy indefinitely. I mean, let's also assume this was available to the masses and all the John Q. Publics who wanted it.

How long would it take for the population of this planet to spiral out of control? How long before the burden on air, water, land, food and natural resources just caused the whole environment to crash?

Others have warned of this for many years, and we should really look before we leap here.

Edited by TheMacGuffin

Okay I'm going to spoil the show! I'm going to tell everyone how telomeres lengthening works in humans, what activates it and also what shortens them. But first a few words of caution.

You may also be interested in knowing there are different ways in which cells suicide themselves. Apoptosis is triggered in scenscence cells during famine or dehydration or in the middle of winter when you're freezing.

I'm no expert here, but it seems to me if you mess around with these things too much, it might give a person cancer.

I'm no expert here, but it seems to me if you mess around with these things too much, it might give a person cancer.

The risk is there, not experimentally proved but expected by scientists.

To remove the risk you need to remove the dna damage from scenescence cells. Starvation destroys them (your body eats them first). We are talking probabilities I'm afraid. You'd need to get the probability low before consuming estradiol so alternate day starvation diet with sufficent nutrition. Or wait until the scientists figure out how to get a virus or your immune system to target just these cells.

Edited by Mr Right Wing

If the human life-span is lengthened, the retirement age will be increased. Unless you are filthy rich, you'll be working much longer for about the same retirement years. Add that to the increase in population becasue we'll have kids regardless and we'll use up the planet faster than we already are.

• Like 1

If the human life-span is lengthened, the retirement age will be increased. Unless you are filthy rich, you'll be working much longer for about the same retirement years. Add that to the increase in population becasue we'll have kids regardless and we'll use up the planet faster than we already are.

The retirement age would go up but you'd also be younger for longer.

Well, that's interesting, although long ago my biology professor warned the class about "ratomorphic" hypotheses or applying any information learned from rodents to human beings.

I have often wondered what would happen if the aging process would stop and was reversed, and people could stay you, pretty and healthy indefinitely. I mean, let's also assume this was available to the masses and all the John Q. Publics who wanted it.

How long would it take for the population of this planet to spiral out of control? How long before the burden on air, water, land, food and natural resources just caused the whole environment to crash?

Others have warned of this for many years, and we should really look before we leap here.

I don't think for one Minute this would be made availabe to the masses,as you rightfully say the planet would crash.Maybe in the future it could be applied to long distance space travel,if they could maybe genetically alter humans to survive in space.

• Like 2

nice!:)how much is going to be though?like i said before anybody could come up with new inventions and discoveries but if the prices are too expensive and lets say pretty much the only people that could basically afford it are rich or wealthy people then that suck and that terrible.i have noticed for a long time the rich only help the rich,the poor stay poor and the middle class keeps getting screwed by the these mistakes and etc by the government.these are interesting discoveries but theres already atural ways to reverse aging though.i think the only reason you guys come out with these fancy reverse aging things you guys come up with is so we could depend more on you guys."control"

nice!:)how much is going to be though?like i said before anybody could come up with new inventions and discoveries but if the prices are too expensive and lets say pretty much the only people that could basically afford it are rich or wealthy people then that suck and that terrible.i have noticed for a long time the rich only help the rich,the poor stay poor and the middle class keeps getting screwed by the these mistakes and etc by the government.these are interesting discoveries but theres already atural ways to reverse aging though.i think the only reason you guys come out with these fancy reverse aging things you guys come up with is so we could depend more on you guys."control"

Your lifespan is like a candle. The faster it burns the less time you have on this earth.

You slow the candle down by -

1. Reducing your metabolism - This means keeping at optimum temperature, eating less, doing less, drinking less and less stress.

2. Reducing Oxidative stress - Eating vitamin C and reducing iron intake. Eating high quality proteins such as Whey instead of animal or plant proteins.

3. Low calorie diet with full nutrition - Decreases your insulin levels which upregulate your dna repair genes (SIRT1 to SIRT7).

Your add to your candle by -

1. Estrogen - Drinking whole cows milk, eating soya and eating legumes such as baked beans. Being overweight increases estrogen too but puts you at risk of health problems such as heart disease.

2. B vitamins - Not as effectve as estrogen but have an effect.

3. Exercise - Damage caused during exercise makes your cells more resistant to future damage (SIRT1 to SIRT7 again).

You dont need expensive drugs as they only mimic what all of the above do. A simple lifestyle and diet change is enough.

Edited by Mr Right Wing

The risk is there, not experimentally proved but expected by scientists.

To remove the risk you need to remove the dna damage from scenescence cells. Starvation destroys them (your body eats them first). We are talking probabilities I'm afraid. You'd need to get the probability low before consuming estradiol so alternate day starvation diet with sufficent nutrition. Or wait until the scientists figure out how to get a virus or your immune system to target just these cells.

I think you are on target. I posted this in Immortals and have a theory how this may be accomplished.

All life either evolves or disintegrates because of time and it is a continuous process. I will say I have proved to myself some people have lived more or less with a middle age appearance for quite a long long time and discovered some major secrets!

Their is a group of people practicing more along the old alchemy teachings that I discovered and most people would have an interest in them on this thread! I know some do exist and live a seclusive life style and it is especially hard for them in a day and age of IDs and their secret not being discovered. And yes they are the elite with accumulated wealth but still do their own gardening, farming and even bee keeping. They still loose family members through accidental deaths and they usually end up moving around, taking on new names. I don't think they even know how the whole process really works since it was passed down to them. They seem very wise, believe life after death, but I don't think they practice any guru type of mysticism. I do know they use wines and elixers from distillations of plants, minerals and metals, avoid ALL our food and water supply that contains the "poisons" they know cause all aging and disease. I was told they also meditate. Since they all have been related it may be family genetics but I was told it didn't work that way because those who didn't practice the tradition died old and usually of cancer!

I was afraid at first when I discovered their existence, kind of thought they'd kill me or something since I stumbled on to their secret. I just know they shouldn't be identified and they seem friendly enough. They knew and liked my great grandparents and some other older family members. I probably shouldn't post this at all but I was so shocked by the discovery I had to come up with some sort of explaination about how they do it, it's facinating even though it's a really creepy alternate lifestyle.

I'm so intrigued and speculative on how it is achieved on a scientific level, but remember I'm not a biological researcher.

Let me explain how I think it might work.

Let us consider the cycles within the universe of the human body. It is deliquate balanced system of cells, proteins, bateria and viruses continuously. There are the genetic timers and the wear and tear and aging due to limited cell divisions and damage at the time of cell divisions. Even if the chemical balance was right, the human body is naturally still in a state of eventual decay from its peek maturation. I think the researches who seek to "turn something off" are barking up the wrong tree because the natural less damaged cell divisions would still come to an end although delayed.

I believe this may be over come in different way! Along with a person of avoiding the so called free radicals by anti oxidents, something else has to be involved in the process. Cancer is a clue since it in itself behaves as an immortal type of cell. Imagine if normal beneficial cells could reproduce like cancer anywhere in the body without relying on certain specific stem cell functions. Cancer cells give chemical markers that cause the other normal cells which act as a group within a whole organ to die, more or less.

Our organs funtion mostly in specific groupings, they live,age, die and divide in certain types of groups originating from a specific type of stem cell. I tend to think the current cancer research being done will lead to a sustainable non degeneration in the genetic make up from the grouping of organs and normal cells by the way they live and die as a group! When certain diseases are present, normal cell type groups commit suicide more or less because of chemical signals. In cancer, even healthy cells eventually die, usually at the same time and the mutant cancers cells are the "vampires" that live on and reproduce from the blood supply. They are useless and dangerous cells to the organism as a whole.

When normal cells reproduce it's more or less the same mitosis time cycle within certain groups, so what if they were more like a plant? Some plants or even some creatures such as some jelly fish can regenerate cells without that cellular time bomb of the mitosis that includes a degeneration to the newly formed cells. They don't have our genetically limited stem cell funtioning which doesn't reproduce different types of cells individually where they are needed in an adult.

I speculate that somehow, maybe even through a specific virual effect the genetic abilities of a plant cell function incorporates into the animal genome and becomes a new biological functioning system that sustains youthful regeneration and immunity. It actually becomes part animal and plant on a cellular level. I think it would be a certain beneficial mix of flages and bacteria within the human body just like good enzymes exist in the body or beneficial bateria existence in the bowels.

What do you think?

Edited by White Unicorn

Unless you are very rich this won't be an option for the average person.

Also that's if they don't put huge restrictions on it or keep it hidden form the general public.

We are destroying this planet already with out population. I doubt we will ever see this kind of thing being standard until we are colonizing other planets or something.

Getting off this rock should be the first and only real priority right now as a race.

and where would we go?

I think you are on target. I posted this in Immortals and have a theory how this may be accomplished.

All life either evolves or disintegrates because of time and it is a continuous process. I will say I have proved to myself some people have lived more or less with a middle age appearance for quite a long long time and discovered some major secrets!

Their is a group of people practicing more along the old alchemy teachings that I discovered and most people would have an interest in them on this thread! I know some do exist and live a seclusive life style and it is especially hard for them in a day and age of IDs and their secret not being discovered. And yes they are the elite with accumulated wealth but still do their own gardening, farming and even bee keeping. They still loose family members through accidental deaths and they usually end up moving around, taking on new names. I don't think they even know how the whole process really works since it was passed down to them. They seem very wise, believe life after death, but I don't think they practice any guru type of mysticism. I do know they use wines and elixers from distillations of plants, minerals and metals, avoid ALL our food and water supply that contains the "poisons" they know cause all aging and disease. I was told they also meditate. Since they all have been related it may be family genetics but I was told it didn't work that way because those who didn't practice the tradition died old and usually of cancer!

I was afraid at first when I discovered their existence, kind of thought they'd kill me or something since I stumbled on to their secret. I just know they shouldn't be identified and they seem friendly enough. They knew and liked my great grandparents and some other older family members. I probably shouldn't post this at all but I was so shocked by the discovery I had to come up with some sort of explaination about how they do it, it's facinating even though it's a really creepy alternate lifestyle.

I'm so intrigued and speculative on how it is achieved on a scientific level, but remember I'm not a biological researcher.

Let me explain how I think it might work.

Let us consider the cycles within the universe of the human body. It is deliquate balanced system of cells, proteins, bateria and viruses continuously. There are the genetic timers and the wear and tear and aging due to limited cell divisions and damage at the time of cell divisions. Even if the chemical balance was right, the human body is naturally still in a state of eventual decay from its peek maturation. I think the researches who seek to "turn something off" are barking up the wrong tree because the natural less damaged cell divisions would still come to an end although delayed.

I believe this may be over come in different way! Along with a person of avoiding the so called free radicals by anti oxidents, something else has to be involved in the process. Cancer is a clue since it in itself behaves as an immortal type of cell. Imagine if normal beneficial cells could reproduce like cancer anywhere in the body without relying on certain specific stem cell functions. Cancer cells give chemical markers that cause the other normal cells which act as a group within a whole organ to die, more or less.

Our organs funtion mostly in specific groupings, they live,age, die and divide in certain types of groups originating from a specific type of stem cell. I tend to think the current cancer research being done will lead to a sustainable non degeneration in the genetic make up from the grouping of organs and normal cells by the way they live and die as a group! When certain diseases are present, normal cell type groups commit suicide more or less because of chemical signals. In cancer, even healthy cells eventually die, usually at the same time and the mutant cancers cells are the "vampires" that live on and reproduce from the blood supply. They are useless and dangerous cells to the organism as a whole.

When normal cells reproduce it's more or less the same mitosis time cycle within certain groups, so what if they were more like a plant? Some plants or even some creatures such as some jelly fish can regenerate cells without that cellular time bomb of the mitosis that includes a degeneration to the newly formed cells. They don't have our genetically limited stem cell funtioning which doesn't reproduce different types of cells individually where they are needed in an adult.

I speculate that somehow, maybe even through a specific virual effect the genetic abilities of a plant cell function incorporates into the animal genome and becomes a new biological functioning system that sustains youthful regeneration and immunity. It actually becomes part animal and plant on a cellular level. I think it would be a certain beneficial mix of flages and bacteria within the human body just like good enzymes exist in the body or beneficial bateria existence in the bowels.

What do you think?

The Golden Dawn has a disgusting secret and its name even gives it away.

They practice drinking their golden coloured urine when they wake up in the morning believing it leads to longetivity and health. From a chemistry point of view this morning stream contains high levels of hormones and vitamins. Estrogen is also excreted into the urine and if that wasnt enough the female urine is more potent in its concentrations.

This secret isnt actually hidden because even the Bible tells people to 'drink waters from thy own cistern'.

and where would we go?

Well that is what space exploration would cover, finding somewhere else to move some of our population.

This planet is suffering because of us and it's not fair on the rest of the living creatures or the planet itself.

Well that is what space exploration would cover, finding somewhere else to move some of our population.

This planet is suffering because of us and it's not fair on the rest of the living creatures or the planet itself.

Wouldent we just do the same to the next rock we find? We can change places but if we dont change there is no point.

The Golden Dawn has a disgusting secret and its name even gives it away.

They practice drinking their golden coloured urine when they wake up in the morning believing it leads to longetivity and health. From a chemistry point of view this morning stream contains high levels of hormones and vitamins. Estrogen is also excreted into the urine and if that wasnt enough the female urine is more potent in its concentrations.

This secret isnt actually hidden because even the Bible tells people to 'drink waters from thy own cistern'.

I heard of that too. I remember some Indian guru on TV drinking his, I think it was on the Johnny Carson Show if I remember right! Now days pharmaceutical put horse urine in pills put a high price tag on it and give it to women and call it science LOL

I would think the people practicing the old family tradition successfully are distilling other things beside urine though.