Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

My, my, - ARMED guard stops school shooter

• Please log in to reply
97 replies to this topic

#31    green_dude777

green_dude777

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,039 posts

• When you look back in life, you don't regret what you did, you regret what you never attempted.

Posted 01 February 2013 - 05:37 PM

View Postjugoso, on 01 February 2013 - 05:30 PM, said:

Totally different issue. When is the last time you heard about a shooting in a school in Mexico??

Explain how it's a 'totally different issue'.  Innocent people without the means to protect themselves being victimized in gun free zones by those who don't obey the laws.

#32    Uncle Sam

Uncle Sam

Psychic Spy

• 1,302 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 05:40 PM

View Postgreen_dude777, on 01 February 2013 - 05:37 PM, said:

Explain how it's a 'totally different issue'.  Innocent people without the means to protect themselves being victimized in gun free zones by those who don't obey the laws.

The only difference is instead of legal gun owner shops, we got the cartel/police/military controlling the weapons. Due to illegal alien smuggling operations, it gives the cartel money to buy weapons here in the United States with the fake I.D.s, then smuggle them back across the boarder.

Edited by Uncle Sam, 01 February 2013 - 05:47 PM.

A man's ethical behaviour should be based effectually on sympathy, education, and social ties and needs; no religious basis is necessary. Man would indeed be in a poor way if he had to be restrained by fear of punishment and hope of reward after death. - Albert Einstein

#33    green_dude777

green_dude777

Psychic Spy

• 1,039 posts

• When you look back in life, you don't regret what you did, you regret what you never attempted.

Posted 01 February 2013 - 05:40 PM

View PostGromdor, on 01 February 2013 - 05:36 PM, said:

Seems like the shooter had something personal with the the shootee and it wasn't a mass shooting.  He was also disarmed after the fact.  The thing that worries me, is not the gun control issue but the fact that people are willing to turn the school into an armed  detention center.   Armed guards can't be at all locations at all times, so what is next?  Automated turrets in school?  Armed drones hovering over the schools?  Maybe explosive collars on the whole population?  Unless you want to privatize all of America's security, you have to remember that it will be the government that will provide security for all these places.  Do you really want a TSA type of organization created to guard our schools and theaters or wherever else happens to have a mass shooting?

No, I want people to have the means to defend themselves. I live in Phoenix, and some guy just shot a few people in an office building.  Thing is, we're an open carry state, and the reason this guy was able to get away is because that particular building had the 'no guns' sign posted.  Had he been in a lot of other places, you would read a story similar to this http://www.dailymail...hases-door.html

Edited by green_dude777, 01 February 2013 - 05:41 PM.

#34    Sweetpumper

Sweetpumper

Heatseeker

• 10,296 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 05:42 PM

View Postjugoso, on 01 February 2013 - 05:30 PM, said:

Totally different issue. When is the last time you heard about a shooting in a school in Mexico??

We have a lot less people hanging from bridges without heads.

"At it's most basic level, science is supposed to represent the investigation of the unexplained, not the explanation of the uninvestigated."
- Hunt for the Skinwalker

"So many people forget that the first country the Nazis invaded was their own." Dr. Abraham Erskine

#35    lightly

lightly

metaphysical therapist

• 5,620 posts

• "The future ain't what it used to be"
    Yogi Berra

Posted 01 February 2013 - 05:48 PM

well good.  glad it turned out ok.      i can relate to questionmark's allusion to a more peaceful time in the U.S.      I grew up in a rural area and nearly everyone had guns (mostly hunting rifles)   and nobody shot anybody else .   The difference is in people ... not in guns•

Important:  The above may contain errors, inaccuracies, omissions, and other limitations.

#36    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 35,100 posts

• In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 01 February 2013 - 05:50 PM

View Postlightly, on 01 February 2013 - 05:48 PM, said:

well good.  glad it turned out ok.   i can relate to questionmark's allusion to a more peaceful time in the U.S.   I grew up in a rural area and nearly everyone had guns (mostly hunting rifles)   and nobody shot anybody else .   The difference is in people ... not in guns•

and that at the time people had enough sense to not let any brain amputated near a gun (well, exceptions like Ed Gein were that, exceptions).

Edited by questionmark, 01 February 2013 - 05:52 PM.

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#37    Michelle

Michelle

Forum Divinity

• 14,546 posts

• Eleanor Roosevelt: Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.

Posted 01 February 2013 - 05:53 PM

Yeah, everybody had glass cabinets to store their guns instead of gun safes.

#38    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 35,100 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 05:55 PM

View PostMichelle, on 01 February 2013 - 05:53 PM, said:

At my parents there were two functional guns hanging over the mantlepiece, I can't remember any of us 5 kids ever touching them.

The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#39    green_dude777

green_dude777

Psychic Spy

• 1,039 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 05:57 PM

View PostMichelle, on 01 February 2013 - 05:53 PM, said:

I would like to clarify this for both sides though.  Even though there are plenty of people with glass gun cabinets (my family included) the ammo compartment tends to not be glass. So as someone could break the glass to get a gun, they would need to do quite a bit more work to get into the locked and all wood ammo compartment underneath the guns.

#40    Michelle

Michelle

Forum Divinity

• 14,546 posts

• Eleanor Roosevelt: Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.

Posted 01 February 2013 - 06:03 PM

View Postgreen_dude777, on 01 February 2013 - 05:57 PM, said:

I would like to clarify this for both sides though.  Even though there are plenty of people with glass gun cabinets (my family included) the ammo compartment tends to not be glass. So as someone could break the glass to get a gun, they would need to do quite a bit more work to get into the locked and all wood ammo compartment underneath the guns.

A crowbar and about three seconds would be all it would take. When I was growing up the guns were loaded anyway and like Q said, four of us kids and our friends never touched them. We all knew where the key was...on top of the cabinet.

Edited by Michelle, 01 February 2013 - 06:12 PM.

#41    and then

and then

Abyssus Abyssum Invocat

• 13,241 posts

• Because what came before never seems enough...

Posted 01 February 2013 - 06:11 PM

View Postquestionmark, on 01 February 2013 - 04:35 PM, said:

I have no agenda, but I grew up in a time when the biggest worry a parent had about his kids drowned in the river or got a bloody nose in a school brawl. And I would like that time to come back for the sake of my grandkids.
You mean back at a time when the Ten Commandments could be found on a wall in school without litigation following?  Or when mentioning God or teaching the difference between right and wrong based on a Judeo-Christian ideal?  Not attacking you Q, but the time frames and the situations are undeniable.  Those who rail at Christianity never admit that even with hypocrites accounted for, having that ideology in the public square made for more reasonable interaction among citizens.

We've cast the world, we've set the stage,
  for what could be, the darkest age...

#42    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 35,100 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 06:14 PM

View Postand then, on 01 February 2013 - 06:11 PM, said:

You mean back at a time when the Ten Commandments could be found on a wall in school without litigation following?  Or when mentioning God or teaching the difference between right and wrong based on a Judeo-Christian ideal?  Not attacking you Q, but the time frames and the situations are undeniable.  Those who rail at Christianity never admit that even with hypocrites accounted for, having that ideology in the public square made for more reasonable interaction among citizens.

I don't think that religion was the driving force, the driving force was respect and the knowledge that violence is not a suitable means for conflict resolution, something we today teach our kids from baby on by abandoning them in front of the TV watching all kinds of gun shows.

Edited by questionmark, 01 February 2013 - 06:20 PM.

about me

#43    green_dude777

green_dude777

Psychic Spy

• 1,039 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 06:21 PM

View Postand then, on 01 February 2013 - 06:11 PM, said:

I second Questionmark's reply.  Maybe you forgot about the years between 1095 and 1291.

#44    and then

and then

Abyssus Abyssum Invocat

• 13,241 posts

• Because what came before never seems enough...

Posted 01 February 2013 - 06:23 PM

View Postquestionmark, on 01 February 2013 - 06:14 PM, said:

I don't think that religion was the driving force, the driving force was respect and the knowledge that violence is not a suitable means for conflict resolution, something we today teach our kids from baby on by abandoning them in front of the TV watching all kinds of gun shows.
So society hasn't become coarser and more violent since the early 70s?  Are we to attribute all that to violent TV?  And if so, why would people watch something for entertainment that they had not become enamored of for other reasons?

We've cast the world, we've set the stage,
  for what could be, the darkest age...

#45    green_dude777

green_dude777

Psychic Spy

• 1,039 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 06:28 PM

View Postand then, on 01 February 2013 - 06:23 PM, said:

So society hasn't become coarser and more violent since the early 70s?  Are we to attribute all that to violent TV?  And if so, why would people watch something for entertainment that they had not become enamored of for other reasons?

What are you suggesting?  I don't think you really want to try and defend the stance that states we're violent because of lack of religion.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users