Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

PUNK ROCK!

nofxfan85

just wanted to make a thread about the greatest music/lifestyle ever...PUNK!!!

not talking about fake crap like good charlotte or avril or ashlee simpson...those guys are trendys draggin the good name of punk through the dirt to sell merch...anyways i would like to know peoples opinions on REAL punk...and bands and what not...

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• star_child

• Hoagy

• absinthegreen329

• Daughter of the Nine Moons

I was a punk in the 70's The only punk music i will play are .....The sex pistols, The stranglers, The clash, Siouxsie and the banshees,sham 69 and stiff little fingers to me this was and still is punk rock.I'm also in to Public image ltd Lydon is god ( top guy) grin2.gifdevil.gifthumbsup.gif

I like punk stuff, although I don't subscribe to the lifestyle much. Misfits (old and new) are my fave, I also like Damned, The Cramps, Siouxsie and the Banshees, Ramones, Devotchkas. I think that the whole 'anarchy/smash the state' thing is a little redundant nowadays, so I really don't listen to the bands with those messages. I do have to say that Sex Pistols are overrated, they were good at the whole shock tactics thing, but as far as musicianship goes, very average.

Hoagy alien.gif

I was a punk in the 70's The only punk music i will play are .....The sex pistols, The stranglers, The clash, Siouxsie and the banshees,sham 69 and stiff little fingers to me this was and still is punk rock.I'm also in to Public image ltd  Lydon is god ( top guy)  grin2.gif  devil.gif  thumbsup.gif

534745[/snapback]

I was a teeanager in the 80's but that was my punk music too. Add to that Peter and the Test Tube Babies and Angelic Upstarts and you have my faves. PIL was my least favourite though. Joe Strummer was my hero.

Real punk isn't played on the radio IMHO and definitely not M fracking TV. That's nothing but pop-rock.

A couple of my favorties are Atreyu and Ragtime Revolutionaries(which has since changed its name to Deathwish Nine.) Ragtime provided a real treat for me because they did the theme song to one of my favorite cartoon shows, MEGAS XLR. Southern California seems to breed a lot of good punk bands.

I like the Dropkick Murphys, too ... they might be considered punk I guess, some people do.

I was a punk in the 70's The only punk music i will play are .....The sex pistols, The stranglers, The clash, Siouxsie and the banshees,sham 69 and stiff little fingers to me this was and still is punk rock.I'm also in to Public image ltd  Lydon is god ( top guy)  grin2.gif  devil.gif  thumbsup.gif

534745[/snapback]

Ok dude, you probably won't believe me, but my dads cousin was in Stiff Little Finger way before they ever made it big. The used to practise in my great aunts attic. I like them, they are cool, and I have a soft spot for bands from my Home Town. wub.gif

I love the Sex Pistols and The Clash, The Kinks, The Misfits and old bands like that.

Didn';t know that, coolies.

I never thought of telling you. I've told nat enough times, though!

It's not really something I tend to think about, I never even met the guy, but I do remember my great aunt telling me every time Stiff Little Finger is mentioned.

actually, now that you mention it, the drummer in my band, his dad was the original drummer for Twisted Sister (I love them too!). Unfortunately I don't have any family links to any bands, although I did live with a former member of Cradle of Filth for a few months.

...back when they were good...

Hoagy alien.gif

*slightly rippled with a flat underside*

Cradle of Filth are quite big now, aren't they? I read in Kerrang! about the lead singer guy, but I'm not too familiar with them. I must look them up.

Your links are better than mine, I never met this guy I'm talking about, lol!

Edited by star_child

Yeah, Filth are big now, and that's why they went all limp and poopy-like.

*sighs* (I guess we better get back on topic grin2.gif ) *ahem* punk, yes. I have met The Misfits a few times, that was cool! I also met the Dickies back in the UK, those guys are nuts, but very friendly!

Hoagy alien.gif

Moved to music forum.

Wow! I'm only a wee young thing, so I have never met any one famous yet sad.gif

I think I met some gay politician dude, but I didn't know what they were way back then.

Were The Misfits all covered in their make up when you seen them?

Dead kennedys

ramones

new york dolls

television

the damned

the slits

the dickies

even the skids

Got an education from an old roadie who was and still is heavily into Punk

Kennedys was great music to skate too.(in the 80's sad.gif )

Yet i never rated the Sex pistols even though they were the "flagship" group.All too contrived.

BUt thank the LAWD for them.they shook things up and change the Music scene.

*sighs* (I guess we better get back on topic  grin2.gif ) *ahem* punk, yes.  I have met The Misfits a few times, that was cool!  I also met the Dickies back in the UK, those guys are nuts, but very friendly!

Hoagy alien.gif

534832[/snapback]

You met Them??? can i touched the hand that touched the Dickies??

(a little creepy now i have read it back)

The Pistols weren't even that good on stage, it was just their whole presence and attitude, it really was what the teenagers were waiting for, and that is what made them amazing, that and their kick ass lyrics.

Edited by star_child

*sighs* (I guess we better get back on topic  grin2.gif ) *ahem* punk, yes.  I have met The Misfits a few times, that was cool!  I also met the Dickies back in the UK, those guys are nuts, but very friendly!

Hoagy alien.gif

534832[/snapback]

You met Them??? can i touched the hand that touched the Dickies??

(a little creepy now i have read it back)

534860[/snapback]

Haha! I have a picture taken with the singer, I really should post it!

yar, reeet enough yee should.

Wow! I'm only a wee young thing, so I have never met any one famous yet sad.gif

I think I met some gay politician dude, but I didn't know what they were way back then.

Were The Misfits all covered in their make up when you seen them?

534845[/snapback]

Yeah, they had just come offstage. Mike Graves still had his skull makeup on too. They are the friendliest guys ever. Jerry Only stayed back until everyone had their stuff signed!

Hoagy alien.gif

Here is an old picture of me with Jerry Only and Dr CHUD, that's me and my good lady wife in the middle, take Sept 2000:

post-15069-1111423108.jpg

awww! I find really annoying when famous people are too stuck up to talk to their fans. mad.gif

Hey you are both little Punks! How sweet. tongue.gif

tongue.gif yeah, I guess so! I am 27 now, and I still have the devilock haha!

who wants to grow old gracefully? not me!

Hoagy alien.gif

I wanna stay young forever! I mean, how the hell can you mosh with a zimmer frame???

Can any one tell me any other cool 70's punk bands? I wanna get some new music.

Many thanks, from The Sexy Goddess of Thongs wub.gif