Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Neil Patrick Harris under fire over advert

Render

Actor Neil Patrick Harris has been accused of pushing an anti-Christian and pro-gay agenda in a new Super Bowl advert.

The How I Met Your Mother favourite donned Tim Tebow-style under eye face paint for the advertisement, with the date of the NFL championship final etched on his cheeks.

But he has been accused of 'mocking Christianity' in the promo, as it plays on the fact the New York Jets quarterback uses it as a device to print Bible verses.

http://www.dailymail...er-Bowl-ad.html

Is blasphemy still a thing worth discussing?

• Like 1

some people are ******* idiots.

I do not, incodentslly, include Harris in that list.

• Like 4

Are they kidding? Blasphemy because he didn't put a bible reference on his cheeks? Is there a christian copyright on that I don't know about?

Edited by libstaK
  • Like 3

Interesting that when Beyonce did it there were no accusations that she was mocking Christianity in her advertisement.

• Like 3

Sharing our opinion is always a dangerous dance of free speech. 'This is who I am but your religion denies that this is who I am', yes, I can see Christianity is the one being mocked in the grand scheme of things.

Are they kidding? Blasphemy because he didn't put a bible reference on his cheeks? Is there a christian copyright on that I don't know about?

Christianity is big business.

I will reserve judgment until I can actually watch the commercial for myself.

Beyonce also self-identifies as a Christian.

I don't really know much about Tebow but he probably deserves to be mocked for putting himself on a pedestal. I somehow don't think he cares about this or considers it mocking.

Christianity is big business.

So is Hollywood.

I wonder which will grow up first because they fight like little children.

So is Hollywood.

I wonder which will grow up first because they fight like little children.

They do?

They do?

They are always making Christians look foolish in roles.

Christians are always complaining about movies.

Sounds like they are not mature enough to respect others who think different.

But nevermind if you are not a Christian you would not recognize it or be in tune for how Christians are portrayed in movies.

I couldn't stand How I met your mother, all of the characters were pointless and annoying. Even the theme song irritated me.

Edited by WoIverine
  • Like 4

Let's be real, it's because he's a gay man.

Beyonce gets away with it despite dressing in outfits that only pollute the nightmares of all those young Christian boys who obviously don't think of things like that. :passifier::innocent:

Also, that's pretty corny too; writing bible verses on their faces...Just for fun i'd put Ezek 9:6 on my face, be interesting to see what happens.

Edited by Sean93
  • Like 4

I couldn't stand How I met your mother, all of the characters were pointless and annoying. Even the theme song irritated me.

Amen! I watched one episode... well, a little under 5 minutes of it and changed it...

• Like 1

I think the real blasphemy here is that ESPN took a poll to see who people would want to see do the half time show and 2/3rds said Van Halen. Who do we get then? Beyonce.....

• Like 1

Let's be real, it's because he's a gay man.

Beyonce gets away with it despite dressing in outfits that only pollute the nightmares of all those young Christian boys who obviously don't think of things like that. :passifier::innocent:

Also, that's pretty corny too; writing bible verses on their faces...Just for fun i'd put Ezek 9:6 on my face, be interesting to see what happens.

I agree that is corny.

Putting the date of the Superbowl is witty. Wanting to put Ezekiel 9:6 on your own face is not witty but more in line with the original, just something to make others angry.

Ya, I am a Christian, but I think flaunting verses from a book meant only for believers is disrespectul to others who do not believe. Wanting to put Ezekiel 9:6 on your face would have the same purpose except it would be more disrespectful to believers.

I also would not wear face paint in that manner, there are funner things to do with it than play football or to look like you are, but if I had a chance to do your face, since you already seem open to the idea, I'd scribble the platinum rule on it.

Edited by I believe you
  • Like 1

I agree that is corny.

Putting the date of the Superbowl is witty. Wanting to put Ezekiel 9:6 on your own face is not witty but more in line with the original, just something to p*** others off.

Ya, I am a Christian, but I think flaunting verses from a book meant only for believers is disrespectul to others who do not believe. Wanting to put Ezekiel 9:6 on your face would have the same purpose except it would be more disrespectful to believers.

I also would not wear face paint in that manner, there are funner things to do with it than play football or to look like you are, but if I had a chance to do your face, since you already seem open to the idea, I'd scribble the platinum rule on your face.

That's the idea.

As for using Ezekiel on my face and it being disrespectful to believers...how? It's in the holy book they follow, allowed to be there by gods' command and as a matter of fact, perhaps it would get the less versed Christians to read the book for themselves so that they realize it's not all sunshine and daisies. But alas, they can do what they want...but so can I.

• Like 4

That's the idea.

As for using Ezekiel on my face and it being disrespectful to believers...how? It's in the holy book they follow, allowed to be there by gods' command and as a matter of fact, perhaps it would get the less versed Christians to read the book for themselves so that they realize it's not all sunshine and daisies. But alas, they can do what they want...but so can I.

Thank you for supporting my idea.

As for using Ezekiel, in the way you want to use it, it is disrespectful.

How? Well maybe first a how not.

Your statement: "It's in the holy book they follow, allowed to be there by gods' command and as a matter of fact"

Another fact to add to yours: Dispensationalism.

This is understanding there are several dispensation periods, there are 613 laws in the Old Testament. Guess who they apply to? Jews. One of those laws disallows wearing mixed materials, so no poly-cotton blend or anything of that sort. Having to get all one material narrows your shopping.

Christians don't follow every example and edict in the Old Testament because it was written by and for an ancient tribal society. In a tribal society having clothes all one material was not so difficult to do. Christians are not following, nor are they intended to follow, the 613 laws either.

That a tribal society was warlike? Well that is no surprise, all tribal societies were warlike, had they not you would have never heard of them.

As to how it is disrespectful, because of your intention behind it.

Your statement: "perhaps it would get the less versed Christians to read the book for themselves so that they realize it's not all sunshine anddaisies"

I think it would really capture people such as yourself who want to attack other people's beliefs.

Your statement: "But alas, they can do what they want...but so can I."

You can, only you can decide how you want to treat others especially if they do not think like and agree with you. Funny how some of the less shining examples of Christianity like Westboro often make the same decision as you. I see those with your views the same as them, on the same spectrum.

You can both attack each other but it profits you all none, and me less because I have to live in a world with both of you.

Edited by I believe you

Beyonce at half-time? Thank you for the warning!!!!

• Like 1

Thank you for supporting my idea.

As for using Ezekiel, in the way you want to use it, it is disrespectful.

How? Well maybe first a how not.

Your statement: "It's in the holy book they follow, allowed to be there by gods' command and as a matter of fact"

Another fact to add to yours: Dispensationalism.

This is understanding there are several dispensation periods, there are 613 laws in the Old Testament. Guess who they apply to? Jews. One of those laws disallows wearing mixed materials, so no poly-cotton blend or anything of that sort. Having to get all one material narrows your shopping.

Christians don't follow every example and edict in the Old Testament because it was written by and for an ancient tribal society. In a tribal society having clothes all one material was not so difficult to do. Christians are not following, nor are they intended to follow, the 613 laws either.

That a tribal society was warlike? Well that is no surprise, all tribal societies were warlike, had they not you would have never heard of them.

As to how it is disrespectful, because of your intention behind it.

Your statement: "perhaps it would get the less versed Christians to read the book for themselves so that they realize it's not all sunshine anddaisies"

I think it would really capture people such as yourself who want to attack other people's beliefs.

Your statement: "But alas, they can do what they want...but so can I."

You can, only you can decide how you want to treat others especially if they do not think like and agree with you. Funny how some of the less shining examples of Christianity like Westboro often make the same decision as you. I see those with your views the same as them, on the same spectrum.

You can both attack each other but it profits you all none, and me less because I have to live in a world with both of you.

I see. Of course, you fall under the false assumption that I want to attack people belief's...I don't, I just enjoy getting a reaction out of people; they get so offended and too easily for me not to have a laugh about it. I'm indifferent to religious beliefs and don't hate them for no reason. it's when they branch into fundamentalist nonsense (Westboro being an example) that it bothers me, more so when it comes directly to me...and it has done one or two times in my life.

As for living in a world with me. I can see you don't like that fact and would rather not be around me so just ignore me then, block me on this site; there's a feature on here to ignore people I think. Problem solved.

P.s, perhaps the rules and regulations that the Christians don't follow in the OT should be, y'know...taken out of the book that governs their lives; some of them might get the wrong idea about what they can and can't do.

Edited by Sean93
  • Like 1

I see. Of course, you fall under the false assumption that I want to attack people belief's...I don't, I just enjoy getting a reaction out of people; they get so offended and too easily for me not to have a laugh about it. I'm indifferent to religious beliefs and don't hate them for no reason. it's when they branch into fundamentalist nonsense (Westboro being an example) that it bothers me, more so when it comes directly to me...and it has done one or two times in my life.

As for living in a world with me. I can see you don't like that fact and would rather not be around me so just ignore me then, block me on this site; there's a feature on here to ignore people I think. Problem solved.

P.s, perhaps the rules and regulations that the Christians don't follow in the OT should be, y'know...taken out of the book that governs their lives; some of them might get the wrong idea about what they can and can't do.

Ammend it to: Living in a world with people like you and them.

Your advice to block you on this site? While it goes well with my original statement I do not believe it was good advice. The more barriers we allow to remain the worse off our world is. What Wesboro does and your intentions are two such barriers. Asking me to block you would be yet a third. Add in a few more and you will never have to empathize with others who think different again! But I would not advise that.

You are correct that some Christians do get the wrong idea about what they should and shouldn't do. I don't think your plan is going to help correct that situation but keep trying because you will eventually find a tactful tactic that will work if you never give up!

Edited by I believe you

I've always kind of wondered why players put blackout paint under their eyes. I understand it's to help block undershine, yes? But is it really that much of a problem to require the blackout paint?

And writing stuff in white on that blackout paint, wouldn't that kind of negate the effect of blocking undershine? Or at the least put something into the peripheral vision that could be distracting when trying to focus on playing?

I totally do not understand why NPH is being questioned over this either. Wouldn't it fall on CBS for hiring him, and the advertising team for writing the ad, and so on? And why not also give unfavorable comment to Beyonce when she did the same thing?

I am so not into sports, especially American football, that I guess I don't really understand the whole uproar.

I agree that is corny.

Putting the date of the Superbowl is witty. Wanting to put Ezekiel 9:6 on your own face is not witty but more in line with the original, just something to make others angry.

I also would not wear face paint in that manner, there are funner things to do with it than play football or to look like you are, but if I had a chance to do your face, since you already seem open to the idea, I'd scribble the platinum rule on it.

You cut down Oak and Beech trees which are representing my religion, you are polluting springs and well which are home to Goddess ....... but I's'pose that's alright .. but no one can touch some verses about killing because it's blasphemous???? Bravo NPH and Sean93

• Like 1

You cut down Oak and Beech trees which are representing my religion, you are polluting springs and well which are home to Goddess ....... but I's'pose that's alright .. but no one can touch some verses about killing because it's blasphemous???? Bravo NPH and Sean93

Ya, ya I know you are speaking in general.

In a black-and-white world, where it is us vs them, and so forth, that holds up well, but nuance does exist.

I personally support green initiatives and prefer to put the environment over corporate interests. Which is I side with the EPA when Governor Rick Perry wants to side with big business in allowing them to pollute our environment.

I also follow the example of Acts 19 when it was said of Paul, Gaius, and Aristarchus that, "these men here who are neither sacrilegious nor blasphemers of our goddess."

As a Christian I also am not a blasphemer of your goddess.

I also reserve judgment on if NPH's commercial is blasphemy (lol) since I have not seen it, for now with just the photograph to judge I find it a sly play on Tebow's showy expressions of religion.

In either case a) there is no difference in supporting blasphemy against the goddess, or God, or any other thing another holds sacred, once you want to go out of your way to blaspheme any of those, you are a blasphemer period, B) it is not like being a blasphemer of God is better than being the blasphemer of a goddess, c) you are either support blasphmey or not, doesn't matter who it is against, d) I am not the type to be provoked at blasphemy e) the people who are the type to be provoked need to chill out and f) the people who do get provoked at blasphemy are just as much as the problem as the blasphemers

Edited by I believe you

perhaps the rules and regulations that the Christians don't follow in the OT should be, y'know...taken out of the book that governs their lives; some of them might get the wrong idea about what they can and can't do.

A General in the army who gives an order to assault a bunker and kill anyone who gets in the way may be praised during wartime but condemned during peace for the same action. It doesn't mean we should remove it from our High School History curriculum just because we are currently not at war with anyone. Understanding the history of Christianity and its early roots in tribal society is absolutely fundamental for any true Christian. Take out the bits that don't directly apply to us anymore and we are left with an incomplete and false understanding of Christianity.

~ Regards,

• Like 2