Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Knocking sound at point of falling asleep

earthchick

For many years now I've been experiencing this. I don't know if it means anything or not, but I am curious about it. It happens at least once a week, often more. I'll be just at that point where I am deliciously drifting off to sleep when I hear a knocking, always 3 raps, that sounds exactly like someone knocking on a wooden door. It seems to be right beside my ear. When it happens I come instantly fully awake again. Has anyone ever heard of this sort of thing? Could it be some sort of sleep/waking thing in the realm of sleepwalking? It doesn't frighten me or anything, just makes me curious. Edited by earthchick
  • Like 1

I have experienced a similar thing; sometimes it is knocking or banging...every once in a while it is a voice.

I think that it is a waking dream kind of situation when you are first falling asleep, similar to a hynogogic twitch, but with an auditory experience.

I would imagine there isn't much to it as it is fairly common...

• Like 1

I have experienced a similar thing; sometimes it is knocking or banging...every once in a while it is a voice.

I think that it is a waking dream kind of situation when you are first falling asleep, similar to a hynogogic twitch, but with an auditory experience.

I would imagine there isn't much to it as it is fairly common...

556246[/snapback]

Yup I recently was dealing with something similar, where every night when I was falling asleep I would feel as though I was being held down and couldn't move, I'd also hear people talking to me and such. I actually talked to a friend of mine who is a Psychiatrist and he told me all about the the hypnogogic state. He also feels that a lot of alien abductions experinces can be attributed to the state as well but that is better left to another topic.

Maybe its your heart after a TRIPPLE heart bypass!

Bum bum Ksshhhhh!

*leaves*

FluffyBunny & TheOriginalF.........That sounds logical and sort of what I was thinking it might be. I didn't know the term for it, but now that I do I will do some further research. Thanks. original.gif

I've never experienced anything like that, but I would imagine it has something to do with the stage of sleep, whatever it is called, when you are about to fall asleep. There must just be some sort of factor that produces that knocking in your head. Do the 3 knocks repeat themselves over a few cycles or is it just one repetition?

I experinced something like this sometimes when i'm almost asleep i hear someone whispering in my ear and the i awake fully.

Hi there,

I've heard strange noises too either right before I fall asleep, or right before I wake up. One time I really thought someone was crinkling a newspaper by my head, and other times I've heard very clear voices.

I almost wonder sometimes if it's something like the beginning of astral travel. I was once in a really deep meditative state to see what it was like, and I felt like I was detached from my body, and then I started to hear popping noises and got really dizzy. Not knowing what was happening, I brought myself back by thinking about my body.

I have read that it's a sign that the soul is detaching from the body. I would assume that a similar thing might happen when you are just as relaxed before falling asleep. Whatever it is, it's always a little startling.

For many years now I've been experiencing this. I don't know if it means anything or not, but I am curious about it. It happens at least once a week, often more. I'll be just at that point where I am deliciously drifting off to sleep when I hear a knocking, always 3 raps, that sounds exactly like someone knocking on a wooden door. It seems to be right beside my ear. When it happens I come instantly fully awake again. Has anyone ever heard of this sort of thing? Could it be some sort of sleep/waking thing in the realm of sleepwalking? It doesn't frighten me or anything, just makes me curious.

556220[/snapback]

hey i have just posted about this! the knocking noise i herd a knocking noise a couple of days ago and last night when ii woke up i'm in wyoming right now so it's real wierd because i herd it and no explaination for it just check out my topic/ post.

ME TOO!!!!

But it DOES freak me out. I get up all the time to check and see where it could have come from. It's bizarre.

hmm.gif

It's happened to me a couple of times when I would begin to dose off. It sounded like a door would slam shut. I actually think it was the citing (sp)? on my house popping. It does that when the outside temperature changes. It was still freaky though.

I hear scrathing, never knocking

I sleep in my new bigger room in the basenment and the backdoor is solid wood and every night i hear 3 raps on the door right when i am about to sleep!!! I go over to the door and i look out there and nothing is there!!! And i have a motion sensor light on the other side of the door and whenever i hear the tapping the light is off when it should be on if anything is there! Do you have any clue what it is! This has been happing to me for years now! At the first case, i thought there was a person at my door in the middle of the night so i just pretended to be asleep (my bed is right infront of the door) then it happened again and wont stop! Plz help

Obviously if this many people are hearing it there is somthing happening. How many of you people that hear this are Psychics or Psions. The next time this happens I will try to use Telepathy at the door. To get a Kinetic Signature and recognize it. If i dont... then i dont want to know what it is.

Where I live, in Nova Scotia, the population is mainly of celtic descent. A lot of folklore and superstitions were brought here from the old country by settlers. My whole life I have heard people say that when you hear 3 knocks, but no one is there, it means someone is soon to die. Now I'm not saying the knocks are a forerunner of some sort, but I am curious as to how this superstition started. Anyone know?

For the last 8 months or so I have heard knocking sounds during the night. At first it started with 3 taps on my bedroom windows about a week apart (I live on the second floor), and now it occurs nearly every night but with the sounds coming from the wall or my bedroom door. The night before last, there were three raps on my bedroom door so loud I shot up in bed (I live alone). I do not know what these sounds are, but I would like, if someone knows, to explain it to me. I've searched the internet and have discovered other people experiencing the same thing. Before hearing these noises, I have never heard of this happening to anyone. What is it? I am a very sane and logical person. Thank you.

Edited by lamartini

You should try to take advantage of it.... expect it... you can train yourself to realize it isnt real... I have done this several times, take something that scares you in your dreams and even your pre dreams, and change it and realize it isnt real......... But thats just me.... im a vivid dreamer, and realize 90% of the time when im dreaming.

I had this happen to me last night actually, it sounded like a door slammed shut. But no one was up therefore I just figured it was in my mind. I have had this happen a few times, but usually I hear talking. I don't remember what was said just know that I was in a conversation or someone was saying something to me.

• 1 month later...

Hello to everyone on the forums...for my first post I'd like to weigh in on this topic and say that I have had this occur many times. In fact, I was psyched to see that it's a topic here, and that other's are experiencing the same thing. The most interesting thing that has happened of a similar nature, is just a few weeks ago as I was drifting off to sleep I was thinking some general negative thoughts...just general "this sucks" type of thinking about a few things...and I heard two very loud beeps. Like car horn beeps, in the room (no, it was not traffic, haha). I took this to mean...stop thinking such negative thoughts...like I was being jolted out of such nonsense.

• 3 years later...

HELLO I AM A MARRIED MALE WITH 2 KIDS. I LIVE IN A HOUSE IN BIRMINGHAM ALABAMA, I LIVE A NORMAL LIFE AND DONT DRINK OR DO DRUGS. THE PAST COUPLE OF MONTHS ME AND MY WIFE HAVE BEEN HEARING KNOCKING ON THE WALLS WHILE WE ARE AWAKE AND ASLEEP. THESE ARE VERY LOUD KNOCKS, AND THEY ARE FAST. LIKE SOMETHING IS DOING IT TO MESS WITH US. I EVEN THOUGHT I SAW SOMETHING WALK DOWN MY HALLWAY THE OTHER DAY AND I TOLD MY SON ABOUT IT AND HE SAID HE SEES IT ALL THE TIME. I KNOW TWO OF MY KITTENS AT DIFFERENT TIMES WHILE IN MY LAP WENT CRAZY WHILE LOOKING DOWN THE HALLWAY. ITS IF THEY SAY SOMETHING THAT FREEKED THEM OUT.

I HAVE NEVER HAD ANYTHING LIKE THIS HAPPEN BEFORE AND WONDER WHY IT IS HAPPENING NOW. IF ANYONE HAS AN IDEA PLEASE LET ME KNOW.

THANK YOU

TOMMY

Hello Earthchic,

Strangely enough I have had similar experiences but mine happens when it is time to get up and I'm oversleeping. It is a loud knock, I wake up. I guess it is some kind of subconcious alarm clock. I don't believe I have ever experienced it going to sleep. Weird!

best regards,

seax :sleepy:

I had a friend of mine borrow my laptop from me. He sits on the porch outside my apartment complex. I asked him to knock on my door when he was finished. I waited an hour. A whole hour, and I heard two knocks on my door, and I got up out of bed. Clearly there was no one there. I go outside and he's sitting there with my laptop.

Now I know no one was there. It was two knocks. Raps, at my door.

Something happens to me in the same way, except it's a crashing noise. It startles me, so I wake up But, I've noticed it's in those times where I'm extremely tired when I do this.

• 3 months later...
For many years now I've been experiencing this. I don't know if it means anything or not, but I am curious about it. It happens at least once a week, often more. I'll be just at that point where I am deliciously drifting off to sleep when I hear a knocking, always 3 raps, that sounds exactly like someone knocking on a wooden door. It seems to be right beside my ear. When it happens I come instantly fully awake again. Has anyone ever heard of this sort of thing? Could it be some sort of sleep/waking thing in the realm of sleepwalking? It doesn't frighten me or anything, just makes me curious.

:innocent:

While alseep I have heard 3 sharp knocks like someone desperate to get my attention, possibly to get in, but once I am fully awake I find that there is no one at the door and nothing going on. I believe this could be a random memory coming around. A few friends knock like that and it startles me whenever they do it.

There is also the religous twist to this. Remember that Jesus said, "I stand at the door and knock." Although He meant knocking at our heart's door, one never knows when He might be trying exceptionally hard to get our attention. Possibly a time to do some truly honest self-examining about the direction our life is going.

Blessings to all.