Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Gibraltar's apes 'lost their fear of humans'

Still Waters

Gibraltar's government could ship half of its colony of iconic apes off the Rock because they have "lost their fear of humans" and are posing a danger to residents and tourists.

Authorities announced measures to control the population of Barbary macaques amid growing public concern following a spate of recent attacks.

Last week a grandmother was bitten as she pushed her young grandchild in a pram through the centre of town. Rosa Vinales was one of 59 people to be treated in hospital so far this year following monkey attacks on the tiny British Overseas Territory.

http://www.telegraph...-of-humans.html

• Like 1

Yeah, but why are they attacking on humans? I don't believe it's just, that they are not fearing us any more :unsure2:

I bet we will end up killing them soon because they have no fear of us.

Deer season I think is over.. barbary season sounds like a good reason to fear humans again, Chuck Heston never woulda let this fly.

The government is planning to ship half the ape population off their native island? To where? That's ******* stupid. Leave the goddamn NATIVES alone. ******* humans.

The government is planning to ship half the ape population off their native island? To where? That's ******* stupid. Leave the goddamn NATIVES alone. ******* humans.

Not only are they not native, but macaques can carry the Herpes B virus which is usually fatal in humans. At the very least ALL the monkeys need to be captured and tested for the virus if such a test exists, because the disease is passed through monkey bites and more and more people are getting bitten. Then if the monkeys are not carriers of the disease, the government can determine how many monkeys (if any) should be reintroduced as a "tourist attraction". Besides being a potential disease carrier, monkeys can be incredibly destructive to native ecosystems and to property. They may have already damaged or destroyed any endemic or indigenous plants or animals native to Gibraltar.

It is always potentially dangerous when non-native animals are introduced outside their native habitat and also when wild animals begin the associate humans with food resources. They can often become very aggressive when they don't get what that want. Pound for pound they are much stronger that humans.

Curious Greek:

"Yeah, but why are they attacking on humans? I don't believe it's just, that they are not fearing us any more "

You clearly have no experience with monkeys. They are intelligent and aggressive little critters, especially if they get used to humans. Why they attack? Because they think you have food and are withholding it from them, of course. This is a very common story; happens everwhere where monkeys interact with humans.

• Like 2

Pepper spray could help?

Probably, but monkeys are really really fast and agile, and there are many of them. It it unrealistic to think you could pepperspray all the attackers.

Same thing in Bali, they are vicious in some forests and temples. You're not meant to go in there with food because they will attack you for it. But there's plenty of vendors selling bananas at the entrance haha.

I was in Gibraltar a few weeks ago and it is food they are looking for. If you are up on the rock where they are and you have no visible signs of food, then they will leave you alone. However they know perfectly well that if you have a carrier bag, or similar, on your person there will be a good chance of something edible inside and they will try to either rip the bag open or take it from you. That is where the problem lies and I saw a few people "atttacked" for that very reason.

"They've lost their fear of humans and regard them as a source of rich food, like chocolate and biscuits,"

That will do it, I have been known to attack people for chocolate and biscuits.

It's hard to believe there are wild apes in Britain.

Curious Greek:

"Yeah, but why are they attacking on humans? I don't believe it's just, that they are not fearing us any more "

You clearly have no experience with monkeys. They are intelligent and aggressive little critters, especially if they get used to humans. Why they attack? Because they think you have food and are withholding it from them, of course. This is a very common story; happens everwhere where monkeys interact with humans.

I never said i had any experience with monkeys!! Thanks for the info :)

• 2 weeks later...

I think fencing off the Apes is probably the best answer (I know the reserve is huge and open) but it would be a better solution IMO