Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

'TRAGIC MILESTONE' - 1000 US troops dead

Talon

'TRAGIC MILESTONE' FOR US

The American military has suffered its 1,000th death in Iraq.

The Pentagon said 998 US troops had been killed in Iraq along with three civilian employees of the Defence Department.

About 6,916 US troops have been wounded in the 18-month war, according to the latest Pentagon figures.

The majority of those killed have died since the American president declared an end to major combat in May last year.

George Bush's Democratic rival John Kerry - a decorated Vietnam War veteran - called it "a tragic milestone".

The majority of Americans have been killed in attacks by insurgents.

Deaths among Marines have surged in recent weeks. In June, 42 US troops were killed, a month later it was 54 while in August it had increased to 66.

The US claims it has killed 2,500 insurgents in the last month.

http://www.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,30200-13217443,00.html

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• wunarmdscissor

• Talon

• joc

• Homer

Top Posters In This Topic

Sigh......and the total will just keep on rising, more and more death will surround us. So much life wasted, war , its just another word for murder!!!

So much life wasted, war , its just another word for murder!!!

259226[/snapback]

Although there is murder in all wars, war itself is not murder. To murder is to kill another human being unlawfully, which unfortunately is being done by the terrorists when they kill innocent people, such as civilians and children.

However, in the conventional scheme of things, war is a neccessary evil. Two or more nations don't sit at a table and just decide to go to war. One or more sides attack one or more other nations. The nation(s) being attacked must either kill in defending their homeland, or willingly give up their land, which in turn will create murder from the occupying force on the citizens.

So to say that war itself is murder is not only very irresponsible, but also very stupid.

The only way I will not vote for Bush in the upcoming election is if I see Homer on the Ballot.

HOMER FOR PRESIDENT!!!

*insensitive comment edited by joc*

Edited by joc

Homer, go explain that to the thousands of families that are grieving right now. I am sure it will be very comforting for them...

joc, it is an easy thing for you to say. Perhaps if you were to lose someone close to you, you might have a change of heart. Maybe not...I don't know, but I do know that was incredibly insensitive thing to say even for you.

Edited by Fluffybunny

Homer, go explain that to the thousands of families that are grieving right now. I am sure it will be very comforting for them...

259356[/snapback]

Fluffybunny,

I know people are grieving, but that's not the issue. Many of the people that died in Iraq(and elsewhere) were murdered. I personally have been in 4 combat operations and have been to the Middle East many times. I know what's it's like to lose someone close.

However, that's not the issue, or the purpose of my previous post. The issue is whether war itself is murder. I did not say I support or didn't support the war. What I did say was that war itself is not murder, but that murder unfortunately occurs in wars.

998 at least, oficially....a lot more if you count the "friendly fire" and "accidents" .....the Pentagon is very good hiding casualties.

You know the media was just waiting for the day they could use the headline '1,000 Troops Dead'.  rolleyes.gif

259467[/snapback]

Yeah, I'm sure they were on the edge of their seats.

Has nothing to do with Iraq, but 1000 dead in around a year - I was in battles in Vietnam where there were more than 1000 killed in two or three days! War is not a safe occupation, my brothers and sisters-in-arms knew this when they held up their hands to take the oath of enlistment. Hopefully someone will get us out of this "New Vietnam" soon! disgust.gif

You know the media was just waiting for the day they could use the headline '1,000 Troops Dead'.  rolleyes.gif

259467[/snapback]

.....uh huh. and i'm guessing the democrats were hoping 1000 dead would be reached before the election date. wacko.gif

the sad thing about the headline "1000 troops dead" is, it was probably allready written the day after iraq was invaded sad.gif

and homer's argument about war not being murder is moot.

your fellow americans are dying to make bush and his gang wealthier, that's it, that's all.

the families of the dead soldiers, lose their sons and daughters, whether it's murder or not, it doesn't really matter.

that it was never necessary does.

I'd love to see President Bush make a draft next year if he's elected. See how Babs and the rest of you talk when it's YOUR father, brother, son, husband etc that's been killed needlessly in another country because your president says it's right for the good of a different country.

Whatever our president says is good for another country 'is' good for our country.

And the draft 'may' be re-enacted, BurnSide; I see that happening. I believe my family 'should' go to war; I would be ashamed if they didn't feel that way. BTW, my nephew is in Iraq now.

...signing off from Matt Maupin country (hostage in Iraq)

Edited by Babs

BTW, my nephew is in Iraq now.

259555[/snapback]

So is my brother.

Wether or not you agree with the Iraq war, the only way these troops' deaths would be for nothing is if we left without completing the job.

Oh i see. Better they die for nothing, than live for nothing. Good attitude.

The war hasn't made the slightest change in their eyes, except now they are a America-fearing country like most other countries, and thousands of them are dead. ANd the war hasn't changed a thing in America, except now a 1000 people are dead.

Then again, that's the american way right.

Mine to.

To much bloodshed in the world, which is what my point is. I guess sometimes it is nessesary, however unfortunate and sad that is.

BTW, my nephew is in Iraq now.

259555[/snapback]

Wether or not you agree with the Iraq war, the only way these troops' deaths would be for nothing is if we left without completing the job.

259561[/snapback]

Excellent point. Nobody wants to fight and die in a foreign land, but the war is on, and to leave when the job isn't finished would mean all those that have died would have died in vain.

All we hear in the media is what went wrong, and how many people are dead. Nobody talks about the accomplishments. This may not have been the purpose for the war, but because of the war, a terrible dictator will no longer be filling mass graves and threatening it's neighbors, and we can put to rest whether or not the country had WMD or a program to develope them.

In Iraq, the Financial Management Information System (FMIS) in the Ministry of Finance is now fully operational. This is being implemented in 28 Ministries and four government agencies with technical support from the US Agency for International Development.

this link provides other examples of the accomplishments that could not have been done without going to war.

Granted this site is from the U.S. State Department, but it's still nice to see some positives from all this mess.

The war hasn't made the slightest change in their eyes

You're clueless if you honestly believe that. But then you do read Michael Moore.

rolleyes.gif

this link provides other examples of the accomplishments that could not have been done without going to war.

Good link. thumbsup.gif

A smarter man than your president will ever be.

Fighting for your rights, the right for people to live, and NOT get shot, both overseas and in your own land.

But i'm not pro-murder, and that's all the war is to me, with the title 'war' to make it look justified.

Edited by BurnSide