Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Why are churches busier at Christmas?

Still Waters

In the run-up to Christmas, Scotland's churches have one of their busiest times of year, with school carol concerts, nativities, Watchnight services and Christmas Day itself. Some people go to church at Christmas who do not attend at other times. Why?

We often hear predictions of the decline of organised religion but what about the full pews at this time of year. What does that mean?

http://www.bbc.co.uk...otland-20824538

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Purplos

• Still Waters

• calaf

• Hasina

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Perhaps it's because this is the one time of year we allow ourselves to express feelings of goodwill without embarassment. A "time-out" from the cynical reality of modern life. If only we could see that the potential is there for the other 364 days.

That happens in my town too...everybody and their sister floods to church and I think it's for a few reasons, such as tradition and my main suspicion: hypocrisy. "It's the birthday of Jesus so I have to go"...despite not attending any other time of they year.

Edited by Sean93

Church is more fun at Christmas. It's decorated prettily, you sing traditional carols, they probably have a little play or skit and the sermon is happy instead of preachy.

Why is saying you like to go to church on Christmas 'cause its Jesus' birthday hypocrisy?