Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Have you faced anti-Americanism

Asterix

Because of the late happenings and the stirring 'caused by George WW3 Bush, anti-Americanisim is stronger thruout the world than ever. Still US is full of nice, friendly, outgoing people who can't be blamed, but who might just end up in situations when they are attacked because of their governments policies.

Have any of you personally faced this in US or when travelling abroad? How do you deal with it? How it makes you feel? Do you try to correct the wrong prejudices, or just draw the line between you and the politics?

It's my interest in sociology, and future studies, that I'm asking this.

Mrs Asterix

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Fluffybunny

• wunarmdscissor

• Asterix

• NirmalaMaya

Top Posters In This Topic

i dont know so much about anti americanism but i have an aunt living in the USA who originates from Iran. Many muslims and asians are having a really hard time travelling in the USA. for example i watched a program where an iranian had his suitcase lock broken just because his muslim name was on tagged to his luggage.

Airport authorites chose to single his luggage out, brake the lock and then refuse to pay for the damages. i was so angered by this that i have chosen not to travel to the USA. i will not be victim to these prejudices if i can help it.

many americans are nice people, but i was saddened to learn that many naval officers, fighting in Iraq, had no idea why they were fighting. ive heard of rape and torture inflicted on the innocent Iraqi people when the soldiers invaded Iraq. they have even humiliated the people. i saw a photograph of an iraqi boy holding a sign in english with these two american soldiers. the boy obviously doesnt know what the sign says, but i can tell you that the sign said ' we killed his dad, then knocked up his sister'. the boy and soldiers are smiling for the photograph. if the boy had known what the sign had said, he wouldnt be smiling with those men, for sure. if i find the photo, i will post it because there has been a lot of injustice in iraq that i think everyone should be aware of.

I remember that photo. It didn't actually say that on the photo, it's ona site where you can type in some words into a box and the words will appear on the sign the boy is holding, making it look like they're really draw on there. I don't know the original picture but the one you're refering to is number 3248 something.

They're not that bad, media makes it out that bad.

That picture isnt real. It simply..doesnt truely exist.

My cousin has the same picture but the sign the boys holding says "BOOG BOOG GET WELL SOON, FEEL BETTER CUZ"

Boog boog is my cat. And I am her cousin. You can make the small peice of cardboard that the boys are holding say anything..including "we killed his dad and knocked up his sister."

original.gif

Believe it or not, American public are not that innocent, well.. actualy i would say that they are too innocent to a point that they don't realize what they are doing. If US claims to be a democracy, then all of its government's action is based on the public. Therefore US foreign policy is a reflection of what the public wants, and the civilians must take some responsibility on it.

An american has no right to declare "the terrorists are evil because they are targetting innocent civilians" and to declare "USA is a democratic nation" at the same time.

Americans are really nice people indeed, but unfortunately they are also extremly ignorant. Being rich, powerful, and ignorant, together with the tendency to mess arround with other's businesses, is a perfect recipe for hate. For those who doesn't fit the "typical americans", sorry, there is nothing you can do about it. It is just how the world works, we tend to group people and put the same label on all of them.

I was in Iraq and Saudi Arabia in 1991 and ran into a bit of anti-Americanism. It escalated to shootings and bombings...

tongue.gif

Otherwise I found that most countries I have been to have been very nice. I have seen rude Americans getting treated poorly for assuming that everyone in Paris was there to serve them(and should learn english), but they deserved what they got.

I have found that when I was respectful and at least tried to speak the language that people were very nice. I have been to England, France, Germany, Mexico, Canada, Saudi Arabia, Iraq, and Spain. The middle east was the only place where I met any kind of hostility, and that was to be expected considering the situation. Overall I think that people are generally good throughout the world.

But to answer the question..no I have not faced any Anti Americanism in my life.

I have seen and experienced so much PRO Americanism that is is darn near sickening.

A friend of mine (from Afghanistan) got a very heavy book thrown at his head after September 11th.

Then someone went into an Arab owned store that is frequented by Muslims (and most of the customers are Muslim) got robbed. The store owner was killed and my friends father was shot. All because they were Muslim, looked Muslim, or were thought to be Muslim.

The shooter then went into another store also owned and frequented by Muslims and shot the Lebanese owner...killing him.

Ive had more experiences like this than so called "innocent" Americans getting hacked on by Anti Americanism. I do not think Americans are the only victims here. There are many victims. Americans shouldnt be played out like they are just innocent bystanders..they are not.

Just england fluffy.

You should visit bonnie scotland if you get the chance, we have a beautiful country thumbsup.gif

Edited by wunarmdscissor

My cousin went to France on her honeymoon, her and her husband got spit on on a train. Classy, wasn't it? Anyhow, I think it is incredibly unfair to claim that since my leaders are idiots, and make very poor decisions regarding foreign policy that I am somehow to blame. Our current administration wasn't even actually elected, thanks to some confused elderly voters, in a state in which the President's brother, oddly enough, was the governor, and this insipid idea our founding fathers had called the Electoral College, we got stuck with the retards we have in charge. Don't judge us all by the mistakes our leaders make.

Incidentally, from what I've heard, a lot of Iraqis living here were way in favor of the invasion. Still are.

I wish I was a stereotypical rich, ignorant American. Well, at least the rich part.

You should visit bonnie scotland if you get the chance, we have a beautiful country thumbsup.gif

I am planning a trip to Scotland(as well as England, and france) for next spring. I have always wanted to go, it looks like such a beautiful place to be. Everytime I have travelled to the UK I have not been able to go for one reason or another...

Not this time though, I can't wait!

I am planning a trip to Scotland(as well as England, and france) for next spring

Good luck thumbsup.gif Hope you don't get spit on, on a train in France tongue.gif

by all means go give your money to the lovable, adorable, American-loving, never condescending, didn't let us fly over their country to bomb Libya, in the bed with Saddam Frenchies

by all means go give your money to the lovable, adorable, American-loving, never condescending, didn't let us fly over their country to bomb Libya, in the bed with Saddam Frenchies

Geez joc,

Don't you ever get tired of coming off as racist?

I happen to like France. Have you ever actually been there? Have you ever actually spent time with the local French people? It is a beautiful country with a great deal of interesting history and culture. Great food too.

Are the French rude? if you are rude to them, yes. If you don't try to speak the language and expect them to speak english, yes they might. If you treat them as arrogantly as you come across here, yes they will.

It is kind of like when folks come to the US and don't learn English, I bet that ticks you off too doesn't it.

As for the lovable, adorable, never condescending sarcastic crack... pretty ironic coming from you.

Just get off it. Go read a history book. Learn a little something about a country other than the US, there are several to choose from beleive it or not. The US is not the center of the universe nor the be-all and end-all to world culture.

Edit: I don't know if joc was being serious or not. I hope he was kidding, but based on what he has said before about France I don't think so. As Shakespeare said: Many a true thing is said in jest...

Joc, if you are kidding I will apologize and will edit this post appropriately, if not I'll just let it be.

Edited by fluffybunny

I don't think the American people should be held accountable for the governments actions. The current American government doesn't give a hoot about the people in my view. I have heard some Americans say they like Bush becuase hes a mans man who does not care what the poles say he will do what he thinks is best. Would that not show that he cares nothing for what the public wants?

Note: this post is being stopped short for fear I might slip into a rant. sad.gif

i dont know so much about anti americanism but i have an aunt living in the USA who originates from Iran. Many muslims and asians are having a really hard time travelling in the USA. for example i watched a program where an iranian had his suitcase lock broken just because his muslim name was on tagged to his luggage.

Airport authorites chose to single his luggage out, brake the lock and then refuse to pay for the damages. i was so angered by this that i have chosen not to travel to the USA. i will not be victim to these prejudices if i can help it.

many americans are nice people, but i was saddened to learn that many naval officers, fighting in Iraq, had no idea why they were fighting. ive heard of rape and torture inflicted on the innocent Iraqi people when the soldiers invaded Iraq. they have even humiliated the people. i saw a photograph of an iraqi boy holding a sign in english with these two american soldiers. the boy obviously doesnt know what the sign says, but i can tell you that the sign said ' we killed his dad, then knocked up his sister'. the boy and soldiers are smiling for the photograph. if the boy had known what the sign had said, he wouldnt be smiling with those men, for sure. if i find the photo, i will post it because there has been a lot of injustice in iraq that i think everyone should be aware of.

Our country is a great place , but I cannot honestly say that we do not have way above our fair share of cowardly imbeciles .

I am planning a trip to Scotland(as well as England, and france) for next spring

Good luck thumbsup.gif Hope you don't get spit on, on a train in France tongue.gif

Common JOC.. they're a sovereign nation and they can do whatever the hell they want. If they dont think the war is right and they think diplomacy should have another chance and wont support a war, thats their decision.

Believe it or not, American public are not that innocent, well.. actualy i would say that they are too innocent to a point that they don't realize what they are doing. If US claims to be a democracy, then all of its government's action is based on the public. Therefore US foreign policy is a reflection of what the public wants, and the civilians must take some responsibility on it.

An american has no right to declare "the terrorists are evil because they are targetting innocent civilians" and to declare "USA is a democratic nation" at the same time.

Americans are really nice people indeed, but unfortunately they are also extremly ignorant. Being rich, powerful, and ignorant, together with the tendency to mess arround with other's businesses, is a perfect recipe for hate. For those who doesn't fit the "typical americans", sorry, there is nothing you can do about it. It is just how the world works, we tend to group people and put the same label on all of them.

wink2.gif-on another note you cant judge the french people based on paris guys, only 5% of people in paris are actully french, the rest are tourists.

Edited by Student&Alive

I think the only place I see anti-Americanism is here, and on CNN and FOX.

It seems that many folks think all americans are evil and stupid. Thats their right.

Having been to many different countries years ago, I didn't see it as much then. But that was before the U.S. invaded Iraq, and way before 9/11.

Can't say I fault a lot of people though, if we as a country are judged by our leaders. The only thing that people seem to forget is that even in a democracy, we have to wait until an election to rid ourselves of bad leaders. It takes a literal act of congress and the senate to impeach a president. So unless we can prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that the President acted against the country's best interest, we're stuck with him.

So much for world peace. Not in my lifetime.

I agree with the statement, that there's much more victims than what meets the eye. I do concider as anti-americanism the attacks agains muslim population in United States. Grouping ppl based on their ethnic backround or looks is always dangerous. Scared ignorant ppl make statements like "all jews are thiefs", "all germans are nazis", "all muslims are terrosrists", "all americans are idiots" and so on..

These statemenst have been made thruout the history, and always the price of this categorism has been more than any of us would be willing to pay.

"Don't ask to whom the bell tolls, for it tolls for thee"

Mrs Asterix

I have heard some Americans say they like Bush becuase hes a mans man who does not care what the poles say he will do what he thinks is best.

Being that he is supposed to be representing the will of the people, that sounds more like a dictatorship than a democracy.

After all the hassle that we go through to remove dictators in other countries we have one in training here... tongue.gif

i saw a photograph of an iraqi boy holding a sign in english with these two american soldiers. the boy obviously doesnt know what the sign says, but i can tell you that the sign said ' we killed his dad, then knocked up his sister'. the boy and soldiers are smiling for the photograph. if the boy had known what the sign had said, he wouldnt be smiling with those men, for sure. if i find the photo, i will post it because there has been a lot of injustice in iraq that i think everyone should be aware of.

The picture was a fake, or altered anyway. there used to be a website where you could go an type a message in and it would pop up on that little sign. The sign you are speaking of was altered from another more mundane sign that wasn't mean...

Being that he is supposed to be representing the will of the people, that sounds more like a dictatorship than a democracy.

so if a vast majority of citizens felt it was ok to perhaps abuse children, the government should reflect that? damn dictators

Good luck  Hope you don't get spit on, on a train in France 

LOL youare unbelievable joc.

YOu really havent a clue. BY quoting my comment i suppose your saying his good luck will be needed in my country too.

Well i'll let you in on a secret , you know we really do like ordinary pleasant american people like fluffybunny.

It is only racist dimwits that we dislike.

BTW can you blame french people for being annoyed. They watch TV, they see the Boycott french campaigns.

They see parts of the american media being openly racist towards themand bein supported in every aspect of american life even up to the government.

Even after all this i bet an american is safer walkin down a french street than a frenchman walkin down an american st.

Whatever you may believe about the french joc, you should know this, they are just as patriotic as you are and not complete pushovers. They look after their own interests much like the USA does.

In fact they are very alike your country, except they have been around for way longer.

Youve probably never been to france. I have and as fluffy says if you make even the slightest effort and acknowledge they too have their own individual culture they are extremely nice, as is MY country.

HAve you ever been to the UK before???????

Prolly not.

It is exactly your attitude that spreads anti-americanism, thankfully though we have the likes of fluffybunny on hand to show what REAL americans are like.

It should also be noted that in a democracy a nation ARE collectivley responsible for their leaders actions.

It is up to them to rectify mistakes. YOU have that chance. Nearly 5.7 billion of us know what decision would be best...................

i went to london like a month ago for about 2 weeks..and nothing happened...people were really nice. next month we are goin to scotland....and maybe france...thing is im Asian so most people think im just another 1 of those asian tourists...but my moms white lol soo i dunno wha they are gonna do.

so if a vast majority of citizens felt it was ok to perhaps abuse children, the government should reflect that? damn dictators

huh.gif um, well yes. That is what a democracy is.

There's already couple of threads where we can debate is US democratic, or who's to blame and so on and so on... for example the North Korea, CIA and other thread of the kind. This question of mine hasn't brought any new info, and it seems that ppl aren't that thrilled to share there PERSONAL experiences. As far as I'm concerned this thread can be closed. We can go on about war in Irag and world politics elsewhere original.gif If anyone is interested to answer my original questions, why don't you send me private message.

Mrs Asterix

Wrong asterix

FOr one this is all relevant to anti-americanism.

It is still a discussion.

Joc's comments highlighted the ACTUAL meaning of the thread and all our comments directly interact with the threads main point.