Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Is Mothman real? Yes or No?

• Please log in to reply
95 replies to this topic

Poll: The Mothman (142 member(s) have cast votes)

Is Mothman Real?

1. Yes (60 votes [42.25%])

Percentage of vote: 42.25%

2. No (46 votes [32.39%])

Percentage of vote: 32.39%

3. Dunno' (28 votes [19.72%])

Percentage of vote: 19.72%

4. Who is the Mothman? (8 votes [5.63%])

Percentage of vote: 5.63%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#46    AliveInDeath7

AliveInDeath7

Enlightened Seeker

• 2,712 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 09:02 PM

View PostOverdueleaf, on 06 January 2013 - 08:57 PM, said:

you have had personal experience with the mothman? please share.. did he warn you of any impending doom?.. or is it still too early to tell.. afterall it took up to two years fromt he beginning of the sightings in PP to when the bridge actually collapsed
I never said I had personal experience with mothman, I said I had similar occurances. Similar occurances that justify why I myself think it is real; something personal I don't post on UM because I don't need it nitpicked.

#47    CRIPTIC CHAMELEON

CRIPTIC CHAMELEON

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 766 posts

• Without going out of my door
    I can know all things of earth
    Without looking out of my window
    I could know the ways of heaven

Posted 06 January 2013 - 09:10 PM

What ever happened to butterflywoman. ?   :unsure2:

#48    oddiumxwanderus

oddiumxwanderus

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 03:06 AM

View PostNikkiAidyn, on 06 January 2013 - 09:02 PM, said:

I never said I had personal experience with mothman, I said I had similar occurances. Similar occurances that justify why I myself think it is real; something personal I don't post on UM because I don't need it nitpicked.

It's too bad that even on a forum like this, that's for discussing "unexplained mysteries"... that people feel like this on here... what are a bunch of closed minded twits doing on here scaring off a good story. Damn them! Haha

Sit down before fact as a child, prepare to give up every preconcieved notion, follow humbly to whatever abyss Nature leads or you shall learn nothing

#49    Domina Lucis

Domina Lucis

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 497 posts

• "I'm not dead, so I'm obviously doing something right."

Posted 07 January 2013 - 03:58 AM

View Postoddiumxwanderus, on 07 January 2013 - 03:06 AM, said:

It's too bad that even on a forum like this, that's for discussing "unexplained mysteries"... that people feel like this on here... what are a bunch of closed minded twits doing on here scaring off a good story. Damn them! Haha

That's a bit rude, don't you think?

I understand your frustration but...I don't think that was necessary.

Posted Image

Domina Lucis

#50    oddiumxwanderus

oddiumxwanderus

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 05:14 AM

View PostMisstreeDove, on 07 January 2013 - 03:58 AM, said:

That's a bit rude, don't you think?

I understand your frustration but...I don't think that was necessary.

Rude, not at all, mostly sarcasm. lol.. sorry to have offended? I guess I haven't quite figured out the sensitivity rate here on UM, but I hardly even thought anything of my post ... you shouldn't either(especially if you aren't a closed minded twit). :]

Edit!
Actually.. I have to say, if you think this is rude, I think you read my post incorrectly, maybe not! But I see nothing rude about what I posted here. I was simply stating that for a site, where such mysteries should be discussed, it's too bad to see that there are enough people running around on here nit-picking things apart so badly that it makes people(such as NikkiAidyn)feel too uncomfurtable to share their stories, that's what this forum site is all about, am I wrong?? If after my explanation you think that it's still rude, well... idk what to tell ya mate!

Edited by oddiumxwanderus, 07 January 2013 - 05:25 AM.

Sit down before fact as a child, prepare to give up every preconcieved notion, follow humbly to whatever abyss Nature leads or you shall learn nothing

#51    wolfknight

wolfknight

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,658 posts

• There is nothing to Fear, but fear itself

Posted 07 January 2013 - 02:59 PM

Nope

#52    scowl

scowl

Government Agent

• Closed
  • 4,111 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 05:53 PM

View PostNikkiAidyn, on 06 January 2013 - 09:02 PM, said:

You probably saw owls. I came across an owl in a tree at night and it startled me so much I almost dropped my flashlight. It sounds silly but their eyes are so reflective that they look like they're glowing. And they don't move. They don't care that you're there.

#53    Domina Lucis

Domina Lucis

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 497 posts

• "I'm not dead, so I'm obviously doing something right."

Posted 07 January 2013 - 06:00 PM

View Postoddiumxwanderus, on 07 January 2013 - 05:14 AM, said:

Rude, not at all, mostly sarcasm. lol.. sorry to have offended? I guess I haven't quite figured out the sensitivity rate here on UM, but I hardly even thought anything of my post ... you shouldn't either(especially if you aren't a closed minded twit). :]

Edit!
Actually.. I have to say, if you think this is rude, I think you read my post incorrectly, maybe not! But I see nothing rude about what I posted here. I was simply stating that for a site, where such mysteries should be discussed, it's too bad to see that there are enough people running around on here nit-picking things apart so badly that it makes people(such as NikkiAidyn)feel too uncomfurtable to share their stories, that's what this forum site is all about, am I wrong?? If after my explanation you think that it's still rude, well... idk what to tell ya mate!

Sorry. I didn't catch the sarcasm. It's hard to tell when it's just text on a screen.

I just get a little "ugh" when I see believers and skeptics constantly lashing out at each other. But I understand your point of view and where you're coming from.

I apologize.

Edited by MisstreeDove, 07 January 2013 - 06:01 PM.

Posted Image

Domina Lucis

#54    Harlequin Dreamer

Harlequin Dreamer

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 306 posts

• Dear Optimist,Pessimist,and Realist, While you guys are busy arguing about a glass of water, I drank it. Sincerely the Opportunist.

Posted 07 January 2013 - 08:41 PM

I liked the film with Richard Gere I think that was bassed on a true story of the mothman. :st

#55    Wolfman 1993

Wolfman 1993

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 110 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 11:39 PM

I do believe that there's alot more to the world than just the standard things that we're already aware of. We dont know everything, it's impossible. The bridge that collapsed back then had inspections that proved it to be safe, yet it collapsed for something as simple as an eyebar during rush hour of all times,  which seems like impeccable timing for a catastrophe. Not to mention the sightings of the Mothman atop the bridge before the collapse. As I have said, we dont know everything, we never will. This is 1 of those great mysteries that can't be answered fully, but yes, I believe in the Mothman.

#56    Wolfman 1993

Wolfman 1993

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 110 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 11:56 PM

View PostHarlequin Dreamer, on 07 January 2013 - 08:41 PM, said:

I liked the film with Richard Gere I think that was bassed on a true story of the mothman. :st

It was, and it was indeed a great film lol

#57    modas

modas

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 85 posts

• Any idiot with a good memory can pass an exam but not every genius wins a Nobel prize.

Posted 11 January 2013 - 01:46 PM

it kind of reminds me of chupacabra dond know how but it does when you think about it.

#58    Crikey

Crikey

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 216 posts

• I just keep getting stronger..

Posted 11 January 2013 - 02:15 PM

'The Mothman Prophecies' film explored the theme that invisible "cosmic jokers" were having fun by making prophecies of disasters, and I liked the interesting line that "Just because they can see disasters coming doesn't mean they CAUSE them"

Edited by Crikey, 11 January 2013 - 02:16 PM.

#59    Rafterman

Rafterman

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,441 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 03:01 PM

View Postoddiumxwanderus, on 07 January 2013 - 03:06 AM, said:

Stories are one thing.  Thinking something as absurd as the Mothman is real, however, is something else.

it only takes a few minutes of Googling to see that the entire story falls apart pretty quickly.

"You can't have freedom of religion without having freedom from the religious beliefs of other people."

#60    Rafterman

Rafterman

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,441 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 03:04 PM

View PostWolfman1993, on 07 January 2013 - 11:39 PM, said:

I do believe that there's alot more to the world than just the standard things that we're already aware of. We dont know everything, it's impossible. The bridge that collapsed back then had inspections that proved it to be safe, yet it collapsed for something as simple as an eyebar during rush hour of all times,  which seems like impeccable timing for a catastrophe. Not to mention the sightings of the Mothman atop the bridge before the collapse. As I have said, we dont know everything, we never will. This is 1 of those great mysteries that can't be answered fully, but yes, I believe in the Mothman.

Actually didn't happen.  Completely made up bunk by the authors of the book.  In fact the 5-6 reported sightings of the Mothman took place about a year before the bridge even collapsed.

Again, don't just accept the urban legend.  Do your own research and you'll find the story falls apart quite quickly.

Here's a great podcast that lays out the entire story and how the Mothman as we know him today and even his connection to the Silver Bridge collapse was simply a post-hoc creation of two UFO authors trying to sell books.

http://skeptoid.com/episodes/4159

You can read the transcript or listen to the podcast - it's only about 15 minutes long.

And a shout out to Skeptoid in general.  TONS of great information there.  Winner of the 2012 Stitcher Award for Best Science Podcast.

Enjoy.

Edited by Rafterman, 11 January 2013 - 03:10 PM.

"You can't have freedom of religion without having freedom from the religious beliefs of other people."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users