Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Beliefs

JuiciCouture

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• EmpressV

• bacca

• Paranoid Android

sad.gif  Why do parent's down there children/spouses for what they beleive in  disgust.gif

746828[/snapback]

Maybe because they don't know how to do anything else?? Maybe because they don't understand, or maybe they don't agree, this is a fairly general question , it could be alot of reasons??? What do you think it is????/ Namaste Sheri

sad.gif  Why do parent's down there children/spouses for what they beleive in  disgust.gif

746828[/snapback]

I have to agree with sherri b. People don't know any better. Some parents think their rose colored vision of the world is perfectly fine. They choose to be blissfully ignorant to the real world they live in. All I can tell you is that if you are comfortable with who you are, then don't worry about what they think. Eventually they will come to understand because they love you and want you to be happy.

It all comes down to 'Understanding'!

It can also be due to lack of 'Education', through education can we truly understand.

original.gif

It all comes down to 'Understanding'!

It can also be due to lack of 'Education', through education can we truly understand.

original.gif

750744[/snapback]

You can say that again.

sad.gif   Why do parent's down there children/spouses for what they beleive in  disgust.gif

746828[/snapback]

I have to agree with sherri b. People don't know any better. Some parents think their rose colored vision of the world is perfectly fine. They choose to be blissfully ignorant to the real world they live in. All I can tell you is that if you are comfortable with who you are, then don't worry about what they think. Eventually they will come to understand because they love you and want you to be happy.

749807[/snapback]

what u mean, ppl don't know any better ??????????

Most people of past generations have a smaller vision of the world. They want to see what their parents taught them to see. The parents of the 60's began to expand their way of thinking and that opened the door for the generations to follow. Not all are open minded though. Some people don't like change, it makes them feel uncomfortable. But the rest of us will just have to help them along. I have a saying that I try to follow, "Go not where the path may lead, but go instead where there is no path and leave a trail." I don't know who wrote it but it fits me perfectly.

I'd say people down others opinions or beliefs because it's the only way that they know to make themselves feel like they are right. It's like a teenager picking on someone because they feel that the other person is smarter, prettier, funnier etc. So they put down that person so as to make themselves look better. Same thing with religion and beliefs when you have a NEED to be right then anyone who disagrees with you, you must but down because to not do that they may have a valid point and where would that get the person who has the need/want to be the one with all the answers....or something like that anyway wink2.gif

Not all do (of course). And those that do are just like the bullies on the playground at school who put people down because they have glasses, or are chubby, or whatever.

A closed mind and a desire to affect control over others.

746828[/snapback]

I am sorry they do this. But maybe it is because they don'tknow why you believe differently. Maybe you should explain it to them. They are just concerned probably.

what would they be concerened about that would cause them to 'down' their spouse/childs beliefs 101?

Some people feel that witch craft is harmful. something like that.

746828[/snapback]

Ok, downing children. I wouldn't do it. I don't think it is right. Parents may feel like failures if their kids don't grow up with the same moral code that they do and thus lash out at those beliefs.

As for spouses, I find it inconceivable that a couple will get together only to argue about their religious standings (considering they knew their partner's belief before they got together (presumably)).

That's why I don't think I'll ever marry someone who is not Christian. It's not that I think Christians are better or some such, just that I don't think the union would work. How can I go to church every Sunday, and to Bible study every (whatever day it happens to be on), and leave my wife at home. And what happens when the children come? Are they going to go to church with me, or stay at home with the missus? Do you see where I'm coming from.

Paranoid I understand. Being in a previous marriage where he wasn't a cHristian I was brought down and didn't go to hurch and such. So being married to someone is hard when their beliefs are so different.

Why do people put down other people about anything? Fear. One time, a bunch of us were sitting around coffee, discussing philosophy, Jungian psychiatry, etc. and the conversation drifted pleasantly from one thing to another. Until I said "Have you heard of the Book of Q? " (this book is one form of the so-called 'lost gospels' that purports to describe Jesus's life from age 12 to 33, among other things). My brother-in-law, who had been raised in the Dutch Reform church, said "This is my house, what I say goes here, and we will not discuss such things." Whoooaaa! The temperature in the room went down about 10 degrees and we all sat looking at our feet, and then started talking about the weather.

I was upset for days afterward, could not understand why he had reacted that way, until finally I realized it was fear. He is all alone in a great dark universe, and his faith is like a little flickering candle keeping the monsters at bay. If anyone blows on that candle, if that candle should go out, then the dark would come and swallow him.

I agree with SherriBerri from another post about religions. We, homo sapiens, will not progress until we take responsibility for our own actions, thoughts and attitudes, instead of expecting some big daddy in the sky to come and make everything ok. It's called growing up. After a while, you stop blaming your parents for who you are, and start becoming who you want to be, making your own decsions and living with the consequences. That's what people are afraid of - being responsible for who they are.

Childhood's end is coming for our species, if we manage to survivie that long.

Why do people put down other people about anything? Fear. One time, a bunch of us were sitting around coffee, discussing philosophy, Jungian psychiatry, etc. and the conversation drifted pleasantly from one thing to another. Until I said "Have you heard of the Book of Q? " (this book is one form of the so-called 'lost gospels' that purports to describe Jesus's life from age 12 to 33, among other things). My brother-in-law, who had been raised in the Dutch Reform church, said "This is my house, what I say goes here, and we will not discuss such things." Whoooaaa! The temperature in the room went down about 10 degrees and we all sat looking at our feet, and then started talking about the weather.

I was upset for days afterward, could not understand why he had reacted that way, until finally I realized it was fear. He is all alone in a great dark universe, and his faith is like a little flickering candle keeping the monsters at bay. If anyone blows on that candle, if that candle should go out, then the dark would come and swallow him.

I agree with SherriBerri from another post  about religions. We, homo sapiens, will not progress until we take responsibility for our own actions, thoughts and attitudes, instead of expecting some big daddy in the sky to come and make everything ok. It's called growing up. After a while, you stop blaming your parents for who you are, and start becoming who you want to be, making your own decsions and living with the consequences. That's what people are afraid of - being responsible for who they are.

Childhood's end is coming for our species, if we manage to survivie that long.

760995[/snapback]

Watch crow I think you hit the nail on the head people are afraid of the unknown, its taught, its taught that there is only one way to think everything else is wrong or bad or a sin and if you beleive otherwise you are facing punishment in the most horrendeous mannner, this is taught to some degree in every single religon, of course some are worse than others, if we are to change things we have to be personally responsible for what we choose to beleive in, maybe as a child you can blame your parents but after a certain point its up to us to know our beleif systems and see a bigger picture, What we beleive creates the world we live in its obvious. Namaste Sheri

Paranoid I understand. Being in a previous marriage where he wasn't a cHristian I was brought down and didn't go to hurch and such. So being married to someone is hard when their beliefs are so different.

760936[/snapback]

This is not necessarily true for everyone. My husband still worsips a god but since we've been together over the last 30 yrs. he has come to realize that the NT and jesus are not as they appear. He also doesn't like how preachers shove things at people and expect them to believe. We have civil discussions on these topics all of the time, but we agree that our own personal beliefs are just that, PERSONAL. You can ge along if you respect each other enough.

Curiosity -

2 Corinthians 6:14-18

Do not be yoked together with unbelievers. For what do righteousness and wickedness have in common? Or what fellowship can light have with darkness? What harmony is there between Christ and Belial? What does a believer have in common with an unbeliever? What agreement is there between the temple of God and idols? For we are the temple of the living God. As God has said: "I will live with them and walk among them, and I will be their God, and they will be my people."

"Therefore come out from them

and be separate, says the Lord.

Touch no unclean thing,

and I will receive you."

"I will be a Father to you,

and you will be my sons and daughters, says the Lord Almighty."

I understand where you are coming from, but respect can only go so far. As I asked in my previous post, what happens if I go to church and my (non-Christian) partner doesn't? or if I want to take our (hypothetical) child to Sunday School, but my partner does not want that.

And what happens, when I come home after learning/confirming something which is personally inspiring and I want to tell my partner, and they're like: "Look, I'm happy for you, but I don't get it".....

I mean, how can that be a workable relationship, no matter how much respect each has for the other.

Thanks PA the fact is being in a secular relationship usually brings one down. I think it is because our flesh is weak. So I personally cannot be in a relationship where beliefs are som different because I am weak.

When our kids were little they knew how I believed and they knew how their dad believed and his parents. I didn't feel the need to interfere at the time because they weren't old enough to understand the docterine. Religion to them was fun, you know xmas and easter. Although if I had to do it over, I would tell the truth about xmas, santa and the easter bunny. My youngest actually hated me for a while after I told him the truth. I never lied to him about anything before and that bothered him more than the truth. As they got older and started to ask questions about religion, then is when I went into more detail. They still believe in a higher power like their dad. My husband and I have many opened intelligent discussions about religion and we seem to do well with it. Whether you are one way or the other the main thing to keep in mind is that you can't control how anyone else thinks. We all have minds of our own and that above all should be respected. Besides that is not who we are, it is only one minute part of the dynamic as a couple. Oh, and don't hold a grudge, it creates hostility and resentment.