Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * - - 6 votes

Florida Teen murdered by

• Please log in to reply
1528 replies to this topic

#46    susieice

susieice

December's Child

• 10,843 posts

• "Some say the world will end in fire, some say in ice."
    .....Robert Frost

Posted 22 March 2012 - 03:41 AM

The people of Sanford are now asking for the resignation of the police chief. A state senator is talking about changing the Stand Your Ground law.
http://news.yahoo.co...-003148576.html

"The universe is full of magical things, patiently waiting for our wits to sharpen."  Eden Phillpotts

Opponere draconem est prehendere vitam

"I'm sure the universe is full of intelligent life. It's just been too intelligent to come here." Arthur C. Clarke

#47    lightly

lightly

metaphysical therapist

• 5,447 posts

• "The future ain't what it used to be"
    Yogi Berra

Posted 22 March 2012 - 12:53 PM

View Postsusieice, on 22 March 2012 - 03:41 AM, said:

The people of Sanford are now asking for the resignation of the police chief. A state senator is talking about changing the Stand Your Ground law.
http://news.yahoo.co...-003148576.html

:tu:

Important:  The above may contain errors, inaccuracies, omissions, and other limitations.

#48    sam12six

sam12six

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,342 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 02:05 PM

View Postconspiracybeliever, on 20 March 2012 - 06:42 PM, said:

I didn't say anything about any color. I don't know that it has anything to do with what happened. I did say child. I don't care if he is 6'3". He is still only 17 and I call that a child and he was going to the store for candy. I can't believe there is even a question whether this guy should be prosecuted. He should be sitting in prison right now waiting for his trial. If it were the other way around and the 17 year old black kid had shot Zimmerman he would be. And yes I did use color this time because I believe that it is true that color matters when it comes to that.

I missed this post earlier. As for him being a child, we'll just have to agree to disagree. My point was that the media is trying to make it look like the guy was a little kid and he wasn't. Young, sure. Child, no.

And as for color, yes I believe color had a great deal to do with what happened. Zimmerman was known for going house to house in the neighborhood telling people to watch out for young black males (in one ironic statement, a neighbor who WAS a young black male mentioned how he had received a visit and was told to watch out for young black males). I also agree with you that color played an part in the police reaction. Had it been Zimmerman who was shot, there is not a doubt in my mind that the kid would have been locked up and investigated immediately. BUT that's not really what the story is about. The story is about the police dropping the ball and whether the stand your ground law contributed to their poor handling of the situation.

I personally don't believe the cops said, "It was just a black kid, no need for a real investigation." I believe they knew Zimmerman (as it was public knowledge that he was a cop wannabe) and while he was acting like a lunatic for a private citizen, his actions were very cop-like. I think they said, "Hmmm, that's pretty much how I would have handled things. It was a good shoot."

#49    lightly

lightly

metaphysical therapist

• 5,447 posts

• "The future ain't what it used to be"
    Yogi Berra

Posted 22 March 2012 - 02:18 PM

The guy is a racist ..  he is also violently dangerous.  Lock the fool up.

Important:  The above may contain errors, inaccuracies, omissions, and other limitations.

#50    susieice

susieice

December's Child

• 10,843 posts

• "Some say the world will end in fire, some say in ice."
    .....Robert Frost

Posted 23 March 2012 - 04:17 AM

More is coming out about what happened and the history of this George Zimmerman.

http://news.yahoo.co...-153033731.html

"The universe is full of magical things, patiently waiting for our wits to sharpen."  Eden Phillpotts

Opponere draconem est prehendere vitam

"I'm sure the universe is full of intelligent life. It's just been too intelligent to come here." Arthur C. Clarke

#51    conspiracybeliever

conspiracybeliever

Telekinetic

• Banned
  • 7,078 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 01:05 PM

My link

Florida man lives to tell of 'shoot first' horror

MIAMI (Reuters) - On June 5, 2006, not long after Florida enacted the first "Stand Your Ground" law in the United States, unarmed Jason Rosenbloom was shot in the stomach and chest by his next-door neighbor after a shouting match over trash.

#52    DoesntReallyLike

DoesntReallyLike

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 105 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 04:13 PM

Court of Public Opinion is now in session, Judge Obama presiding:

http://www.miamihera...-a-tragedy.html

I don't know why Florida thinks it can handle its own affairs, just let the Federal government take over this one as usual. Silly rabbit!

I hope Obama can do something, otherwise the NAACP will just have to take it to the UN:

http://www.onenewsno...aspx?id=1562582

Edited by Illuminerdi, 23 March 2012 - 04:19 PM.

#53    Rafterman

Rafterman

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,083 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 04:48 PM

View PostFLOMBIE, on 20 March 2012 - 04:28 PM, said:

There is no statistic that proves that general gun ownership makes a society safer. In fact, I live in a country where gun ownership is strictly regulate, and the general crime rate is immensely lower than in the US. And if you look at crimes involving guns, or even killings, the numbers differ even more.

I admit that my comment was a bit "inane" because of the sarcasm I used, but I just wanted to point out that general gun-ownership creates a lot of misery. I am glad the neighborhood watches over here do not carry guns.

Not to derail the thread, but there is a good deal of evidence (some disputed I'll freely admit) that legal concealed carry in the states that allow it does reduce the overall rate of violent crime.

Your comparison between the US and European countries is somewhat apples to oranges because the US, rightly or wrongly, already had a gun crime problem before concealed carry legislation started sweeping the land and what has been found over the past 15-20 years is that crime rates have gone down in those states that have passed the legislation.  

And while saying that gun ownership causes misery is somewhat accurate, it's important to differentiate between LEGAL and ILLEGAL gun ownership.  The rates of gun crimes committed by legally licensed owners is statistically insignificant compared to those committed by illegal owners.

"You can't have freedom of religion without having freedom from the religious beliefs of other people."

#54    conspiracybeliever

conspiracybeliever

Telekinetic

• Banned
  • 7,078 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 06:44 PM

View PostIlluminerdi, on 23 March 2012 - 04:13 PM, said:

Court of Public Opinion is now in session, Judge Obama presiding:

http://www.miamihera...-a-tragedy.html

I don't know why Florida thinks it can handle its own affairs, just let the Federal government take over this one as usual. Silly rabbit!

I hope Obama can do something, otherwise the NAACP will just have to take it to the UN:

http://www.onenewsno...aspx?id=1562582

This is from the first article:

GOP presidential candidate Mitt Romney also issued a statement Friday about the case.

“What happened to Trayvon Martin is a tragedy,” Romney said “There needs to be a thorough investigation that reassures the public that justice is carried out with impartiality and integrity.”

And the second has nothing to do with this case. It's about voter ID laws.

#55    DoesntReallyLike

DoesntReallyLike

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 105 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 08:00 PM

View Postconspiracybeliever, on 23 March 2012 - 06:44 PM, said:

This is from the first article:

GOP presidential candidate Mitt Romney also issued a statement Friday about the case.

“What happened to Trayvon Martin is a tragedy,” Romney said “There needs to be a thorough investigation that reassures the public that justice is carried out with impartiality and integrity.”

And the second has nothing to do with this case. It's about voter ID laws.

I don't disagree that it should be investigated if the Justice Dept thinks it might be a hate crime. What I object is politicians jumping on the bandwagon of a tragedy. I think Al Sharpton is a publicity hound, I think Obama is advancing a gun control agenda as has been discussed elsewhere in this thread, not to mention similar cases which gave not garnered attention, why do they single this one out? Of course the pundits on the left all make Zimmerman out to be poster boy for GOP racist white America. That's where Mitt Romney comes in, hopefully he will step in it and get the CNN sound byte of the day as far as they are concerned. It's completely ridiculous.

Edited by Illuminerdi, 23 March 2012 - 08:07 PM.

#56    conspiracybeliever

conspiracybeliever

Telekinetic

• Banned
  • 7,078 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 08:38 PM

View PostIlluminerdi, on 23 March 2012 - 08:00 PM, said:

I don't disagree that it should be investigated if the Justice Dept thinks it might be a hate crime. What I object is politicians jumping on the bandwagon of a tragedy. I think Al Sharpton is a publicity hound, I think Obama is advancing a gun control agenda as has been discussed elsewhere in this thread, not to mention similar cases which gave not garnered attention, why do they single this one out? Of course the pundits on the left all make Zimmerman out to be poster boy for GOP racist white America. That's where Mitt Romney comes in, hopefully he will step in it and get the CNN sound byte of the day as far as they are concerned. It's completely ridiculous.

I just want it investigated and I want Zimmerman punished.

#57    Farmer77

Farmer77

Psychic Spy

• 1,610 posts

• "Science has done its utmost to prevent whatever science has done" - Charles Fort

Posted 23 March 2012 - 09:28 PM

View Postlightly, on 22 March 2012 - 02:18 PM, said:

The guy is a racist ..  he is also violently dangerous.  Lock the fool up.

On that note I find it interesting that the media didn't bother to mention the fact that Zimmerman is Hispanic. Not that Hispanics can't be racist, it just made better headlines when we all envisioned George as an angry white guy.

I don't suffer from insanity, I rather enjoy it

#58    conspiracybeliever

conspiracybeliever

Telekinetic

• Banned
  • 7,078 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 12:07 AM

View Postbigtroutak, on 23 March 2012 - 09:28 PM, said:

On that note I find it interesting that the media didn't bother to mention the fact that Zimmerman is Hispanic. Not that Hispanics can't be racist, it just made better headlines when we all envisioned George as an angry white guy.

If he were black I'd be saying the same thing. He should be in prison. This is murder.

#59    Farmer77

Farmer77

Psychic Spy

• 1,610 posts

• "Science has done its utmost to prevent whatever science has done" - Charles Fort

Posted 24 March 2012 - 12:27 AM

View Postconspiracybeliever, on 23 March 2012 - 08:38 PM, said:

I just want it investigated and I want Zimmerman punished.

It doesn't sounds like you don't REALLY want an investigation. You want a Jesse Jackson style investigation. Everyone who harmed a black person is guilty regardless of small details like evidence and due process.

Edited by bigtroutak, 24 March 2012 - 12:28 AM.

I don't suffer from insanity, I rather enjoy it

#60    ColoradoParanormal

ColoradoParanormal

Psychic Spy

• 1,298 posts

• 'Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought.'

Posted 24 March 2012 - 12:28 AM

View PostLeonardo, on 18 March 2012 - 02:42 PM, said:

I'm not entirely sure the police are building any case. The Police Chief has gone on record stating there is no evidence to doubt Zimmerman's testimony of what occurred (Zimmerman alleges the youth attacked him, and he shot him in self-defence).

There is also this...

...which may suggest the Police Dept of Sanford, Florida are less than exemplary in dealing with crimes against black people.

I hope, if the FBI do get involved, they can provide a voice analysis of the 911 calls to ascertain who it was screaming for help - as Zimmerman asserts that was him. However, the testimonies of the callers to 911 all seem to suggest the screams were from the youth.

I'm not too sure why this has become an ethnic issue? Seems equality gets the boot the minute something negative happens to a person of race, otherwise it's "we're all equal, we have the same rights don't look at skin color we're all the same until something happens to us then it's automatically a race issue" when if it were TRUE equality there shouldn't be the questing of race at all. It's simply a man killed another man. No race involved. Especially in this case, it wasn't a hate crime, it wasn't racially motivated.

Are we suggesting because of the fact that he's African American means he was attacked for that reason and innocent? I do believe Zimmerman should be held absolutely accountable and face trial for this.  However, Zimmerman didn't make it a race issue. The 911 operator asked what race the suspect was.  Zimmerman didn't say " There's some black guy up to no good!" or anything of the like. It wasn't until the operator asked what race he was that it was brought to light.

Listening to the 911 recordings, I believe Zimmerman was telling the truth when the other gentleman came at him with his hand in his waste band etc. When Zimmerman pursued after him, I believe he was attacked as well. However, Zimmerman should NOT have pursued! He also had absolutely NO reason to use deadly force.  Zimmerman should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law, for murder? No, I don't believe so. However, manslaughter, wreckless endangerment and much more, yes.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users