Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

the perfect prison

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

Poll: the perfect prison (20 member(s) have cast votes)

what should prisons be like IN UK?

1. they should be harsh without being cruel (6 votes [30.00%])

Percentage of vote: 30.00%

2. they are just misunderstood. So they should make prisons more luxurious for criminals (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

3. not bothered either way (0 votes [0.00%])

4. they are just right. (1 votes [5.00%])

Percentage of vote: 5.00%

5. they should let them fend for themselves. (1 votes [5.00%])

6. they should treat different criminals differently. the s.erious offenders should be treated harsher than the non violent offenders (7 votes [35.00%])

Percentage of vote: 35.00%

7. Prisons shouldn't exist. (4 votes [20.00%])

Percentage of vote: 20.00%

8. they should be cruel (0 votes [0.00%])

9. they should help rehabilitate everyone however evil (1 votes [5.00%])

Vote Guests cannot vote

#16    libstaK

libstaK

Nosce Te Ipsum

• 7,067 posts

• Hello Reality and all that is True
    When Oxymoron was defined it was just for you

Posted 02 March 2013 - 12:16 PM

Isolation sounds good to me, or maybe they can fit them with a proximity detector that sends a shock thru their system or a piercing alarm if they get within 3 feet of each other - they would soon learn to keep their distance.  I do think labour is ok but not goods or services that are designed to generate serious profits or need a "quota" aka: as someone said we don't want people sent to prison for minor infractions just to keep up certain goods "quotas".

Number plates make sense for now, or crocheting warm blankets for homeless folk and old people's homes by hand (I am not above a certain level of "torture" lol), jumpers and scarves for homeless etc would work too, makes sense they give something back to those least able to help themselves.

Their diet should be well balanced, it is the best chance of increasing their mental faculties and have them operating correctly after all but there is no need for it to be particularly tasty.

Cereal and bran/raw oats with skinny milk for breakfast plus a piece of basic fruit, apple, orange, pear, grapefruit - no fancy mangoes, berry mixes and cream etc.  A plain yoghurt snack then for lunch a basic sandwich, mixed salad and cheese etc and for dinner a bland minestrone or mixed vegie plate with boiled chicken or bland but healthy side meat, no gravies and condiments, not even salt and pepper - it's not a restaurant. Definitely only water to drink, the human body does not NEED other beverages, we just enjoy them and they are not there to enjoy themselves.  The menu should be rich in vitamins and sustaining but repetative and boring.

For entertainment they should each take turns reading a chapter of a classic novel out loud to each other for at least an hour a day and only have access to science/history docos of a decent standard - might as well try to get something thru those thick skulls.

Edited by libstaK, 02 March 2013 - 12:18 PM.

"I warn you, whoever you are, oh you who wish to probe the arcanes of nature, if you do not find within yourself that which you seek, neither shall you find it outside.
If you ignore the excellencies of your own house, how do you intend to find other excellencies?
In you is hidden the treasure of treasures, Oh man, know thyself and you shall know the Universe and the Gods."

Inscription - Temple of Delphi

#17    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 14,695 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 02 March 2013 - 01:50 PM

I think the idea of imprisoning someone will someday be viewed as being as barbaric as we now view torture or slavery.  In fact, it is a form of both.

#18    Queen in the North

Queen in the North

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,509 posts

• We're more Ceefax people.

Posted 02 March 2013 - 01:56 PM

View PostFrank Merton, on 02 March 2013 - 01:50 PM, said:

I think the idea of imprisoning someone will someday be viewed as being as barbaric as we now view torture or slavery.  In fact, it is a form of both.
What do you suggest we do with dangerous criminals then?

Posted Image

#19    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 14,695 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 02 March 2013 - 02:01 PM

I dunno; I just think we must keep in mind the reality of what we are doing.

#20    White Crane Feather

White Crane Feather

Forum Divinity

• 12,246 posts

• Potter: " is this real or is this in my mind?"

Dumbledore: " Of course it's in your mind....., but that dosn't mean it's not real."

Posted 02 March 2013 - 02:21 PM

I think a nazi like regimented existence would be perfect. They would not be able to walk in the yard without perfect regimented formations, zero social interaction during meals, regimented controlled entertainment consisting of educational material only. It would basically be like a boot camp 24/7. Those that would not step in line would be isolated until they did. No cruelty just the true loss of any freedoms.

"I wish neither to possess, Nor to be possessed. I no longer covet paradise, more important, I no longer fear hell. The medicine for my suffering I had within me from the very beginning, but I did not take it. My ailment came from within myself, But I did not observe it until this moment. Now I see that I will never find the light.  Unless, like the candle, I am my own fuel, Consuming myself. "
Bruce Lee-

#21    ali smack

ali smack

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 870 posts

• If something's hard to do, then it's not worth doing

Posted 02 March 2013 - 03:26 PM

View PostFrank Merton, on 02 March 2013 - 01:50 PM, said:

What do you think we should do with child molesters and serial killers? we can't have them walking about

#22    ali smack

ali smack

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 870 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 03:28 PM

View PostDingoLingo, on 02 March 2013 - 05:53 AM, said:

Iso Cubes :)

any fan of the judge dredd comic will know what I am talking about..

basically.. isolation for each person.. be it a month in jail or life.. total isolation :)
Yes nut what about the non violent offenders. should they be treated like this? not all prisoners are the same

#23    ali smack

ali smack

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 870 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 03:31 PM

View PostJinxdom, on 02 March 2013 - 05:46 AM, said:

I think prisons shouldn't exist at all and the figuring out if a crime was something that will be repeated or not. So instead of prisons really really good psych wards and death for the people who are habitually violent towards others, and mental help for people who are habitually violent towards themselves.
But what about non violent offenders? should some kid who's scribbled graffiti on a wall be put in a psych ward? And if you don't have prisons. who's killing the criminals. who's deciding who gets killed. and what constitutes as a reason for getting killed

#24    spud the mackem

spud the mackem

Spud the Mackem

• 3,827 posts

• man who ask for nothing shall never be disappointed

Posted 02 March 2013 - 03:52 PM

We in the U.K. should take heed of what other Countries do,and make Prisoners work for their 3 meals, T.V. Snooker tables and beds, in a warm environment. Put them on a chain gang and make them mend roads, clean out sewers,de-litter beaches,and other menial tasks,let them Earn a living,and "pay" for their keep,it costs the ordinary Tax payer billions to keep these scum aiive and healthy.

(1) try your best, ............if that dont work.
(2) try your second best, ........if that dont work
(3) give up you aint gonna win

#25    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 14,695 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 02 March 2013 - 03:53 PM

I repeat myself: prison is a form of torture.  It is immoral.  Now it may be a necessary evil, at least at present, but it should be done reluctantly and only after exploring other things.

#26    spud the mackem

spud the mackem

Spud the Mackem

• 3,827 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 04:01 PM

View PostFrank Merton, on 02 March 2013 - 03:53 PM, said:

I repeat myself: prison is a form of torture.  It is immoral.  Now it may be a necessary evil, at least at present, but it should be done reluctantly and only after exploring other things.
   Ok,whats your answer to some low life committing a heinous crime against you or your loved ones ?.

#27    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 14,695 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 02 March 2013 - 04:08 PM

I said it may be a necessary evil, but we have to keep in mind that it is an evil to take away someone's freedom.

#28    spud the mackem

spud the mackem

Spud the Mackem

• 3,827 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 04:25 PM

View PostFrank Merton, on 02 March 2013 - 04:08 PM, said:

I said it may be a necessary evil, but we have to keep in mind that it is an evil to take away someone's freedom.
  You have not answered my question.

#29    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 14,695 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 02 March 2013 - 04:31 PM

You were not the first to ask it; I already said I dunno.

#30    Eldorado

Eldorado

Unforgiven

• 10,608 posts

• I reckon so.

Posted 02 March 2013 - 05:37 PM

We'd also need perfect Prison Officers to run our perfect prison.  Where would we find those?  As I'm sure we all know, when you give people power over others they don't always behave as you'd expect.

Here's an example, from a hospital no less....
What happened at Stafford Hospital?
Data shows there were between 400 and 1,200 more deaths than would have been expected.
It is impossible to say all of these patients would have survived if they had received better treatment.  But it is clear many were let down by a culture that put cost-cutting and target-chasing ahead of the quality of care.

Examples included patients being so thirsty that they had to drink water from vases and receptionists left to decide which patients to treat in A&E.

Nurses were not trained properly to use vital equipment, while inexperienced doctors were put in charge of critically ill patients.

Some patients needing pain relief either got it late or not at all, leaving them crying out for help, and there were cases where food and drinks were left out of reach.
The failings have led to scores of legal challenges from the families of patients.
http://www.bbc.co.uk...health-21275826

:(

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users