Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The GOP’s ‘Read my lips’ moment

questionmark

Four big-name Republicans have broken with Grover Norquist in recent days, saying they won’t be bound by their Norquist-sponsored pledges to oppose any and all tax increases.

The moves by Sens. Lindsey Graham (S.C.), Bob Corker (Tenn.) and Saxby Chambliss (Ga.) and Rep. Peter King (N.Y.) represent the opening steps of a delicate dance for the GOP — and one that could come to define the just-begun talks over the looming “fiscal cliff.”

The question from here is whether this represents a simple trial balloon or the beginning of a movement in which a large segment of the GOP embraces a tax increase as an unhappy reality.

If that were to occur, it would both mark a significant shift in party orthodoxy and also threaten to make the tea party primaries of 2010 and 2012 seem tame.

Read more

I read this on huffington and it was made clear, or clearer than the WaPo, that this was more about possibly eliminating possible deductions but both have flippant negatory headlines about the GOPs intentions.

Fool me once as they say....

The Republicans should be doing NOTHING right now.

Barack Obama is the President. The Senate is controlled by the Democrats. Let them come forward with THEIR full plan on how to avoid the Fiscal Cliff. Because as of now, there is no plan from the Democrats. It is not the minority party's job to put forth the plan. They won. They own it.

Edited by Rafterman
  • Like 3

But they are the Majority of the House...which is also expected to behave responsibly and participate in solving problems. Waiting around and saying "the Dems won so they own it" sounds remarkably childish and butthurt. That is not solving anything.

The Repubs proved last time that they are willing for the economy to collapse so they can say "nah-ne-nah-ne-nah-nah ..we win". Everyone losing is not a win.

I am pretty sure they realize they have mid-terms coming up in 2014. After the display of results this past election, I am betting they are aware that if they do not roll up their sleeves and get something positive accomplished for all of us...they will lose...again.

• Like 2

Barack Obama is the President. The Senate is controlled by the Democrats. Let them come forward with THEIR full plan on how to avoid the Fiscal Cliff. Because as of now, there is no plan from the Democrats.

that's because there is no such thing as a fiscal cliff. It's a contrivance fostered by republicans.

Ya just gotta love the controlled opposition in American two party politics..... popcorn anyone? hors d'oeuvre perhaps? .....no? Okay, I suppose the koo-laid suffices!

lol

• Like 1

Burn it down - I don't care :) It's almost inevitable at this point anyway. But I agree that since the Dems feel they have a "mandate" they should be the ones to put a plan out there. They've played brinksmanship now (both sides) until it's just boring.

• Like 1

But they are the Majority of the House...which is also expected to behave responsibly and participate in solving problems. Waiting around and saying "the Dems won so they own it" sounds remarkably childish and butthurt. That is not solving anything.

Doesn't matter. He's right. It's the majority party's job. I'd sit on my hands if I were in the House majority. Make them come up with something, then explain why I cannot support it.

Republicans need to be done with this stupidity of handing them the club to beat us with.

Harte

Last time I checked, it's still the UNITED states of America. If they all can't come to a compromise, we all lose. But, I guess the real concern is not allowing the other side to get credit, or making sure they get blame.

Politics at it's worst.

• Like 3

It's too bad the GOP idiots can't have such brilliant ideas as Obama:

Obama uses Twitter in 'fiscal cliff' PR campaign

Finally an end the gridlock! Why didn't we think of this sooner?

Fool me once as they say....

The Republicans should be doing NOTHING right now.

Barack Obama is the President. The Senate is controlled by the Democrats. Let them come forward with THEIR full plan on how to avoid the Fiscal Cliff. Because as of now, there is no plan from the Democrats. It is not the minority party's job to put forth the plan. They won. They own it.

The Dem's have had a plan for a while now. The GOP said no, like the always do if it isn't something about Jesus.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/12/03/politics/fiscal-cliff/index.html

The Dem's have had a plan for a while now. The GOP said no, like the always do if it isn't something about Jesus.

http://www.cnn.com/2...liff/index.html

Please.

The Republican house has already passed budgets, so let's not pretend that the Republicans are the ones without the plan.

The Senate is Democratic. Where's their budget proposal?

Their "compromise" with House budget proposals was:

"No."

So, who's the party of no here?

Harte

• Like 1

We could have elected the one who has a history of being able to reach across the aisle to get things done, but instead we elected the angry radical with a bullhorn who has to start twiitter wars try to turn the people against his political opposition in hopes that public anger will accomplish what he failed to do because he can't sit at a table like a civilized human being to bang a deal out with those who are beneath him. He lives up to his political philosophy of letting everyone else do the work for him. You knew what you were getting during the first budget talks and you were so impressed that you re-elected him so we can enjoy more of it. Congratulations! :clap:

BTW, nice words Obama had for David Letterman. I'm glad Obama could fit it in. All problems of the US being solved, there's time to party with the stars. Although I didn't think it was funny when Letterman asked Obama what the budget deficit is, and Obama replied, "I don't know, ask my grandkids, they're the ones that are going to pay it! Am I right? Who's with me?" I'm glad the studio audience got a hearty laugh.

Edited by Vein Capital
  • Like 1

Please.

The Republican house has already passed budgets, so let's not pretend that the Republicans are the ones without the plan.

The Senate is Democratic. Where's their budget proposal?

Their "compromise" with House budget proposals was:

"No."

So, who's the party of no here?

Harte

Someone said that the Dems had no plan. All i did was provide proof that they do, in fact, have a plan.

I have no other comment on this issue other than the fact the the Rep already dismissed it.

who's the party of no here?

Both parties stonewall to the detriment of the country at times, but what I've seen in my lifetime is that generally the democrats compromise with the republicans far more often than the republicans compromise with the democrats. How many things that people on the right complain about have their roots in the republican party or right wing think tanks, but get blamed on the left because the left compromised and let them happen? The answer is... more things than the right will ever admit.

Hey Mystic. How have you been?

To me 90% of the things government gets involved in, they have no constitutional authority to tackle, let alone compromise on. Also there isnt really much difference between them at all. No matter which side has the power, over spending, freedom stripping legislation, and war mongering are the norm. Its all just a big show.

Edited by preacherman76

In any case, I think it's great that through expansion of social welfare programs, Obama is bringing to everyone the benefits which heretofore have only been available to the 47%. When the lines for welfare check or doctor visits are more than doubled while the rest of us latecomers file in, when the amount of drug rations or number of doctor visits to which you are accustomed are more than sliced in half, when you have to park more than twice as far away from the entrance to the building because of increased number of visitors at municipal offices, we know that you will realize it is all in the name of fairness, and that you will gladly make that sacrifice, to do your fair share for the greater good. If I make to the line ahead of you, I will save you a kick-ass seat ... not!

Edited by Vein Capital