Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * - - - 3 votes

"You didn't build that"

• Please log in to reply
439 replies to this topic

#1    F3SS

F3SS

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,571 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 10:18 PM

Pretty much sums it up for me.

http://pjmedia.com/z...ld-that-speech/

Posted Image

#2    Super-Fly

Super-Fly

Caporegime.

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,301 posts

• The Loonies Are Running
    The Asylum!

Posted 20 July 2012 - 10:58 PM

whats it about?

i cant watch it.

thanks, look forward to what others say.

thanks op.

Super-Fly!!3

TrueStory.

#3    F3SS

F3SS

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,571 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 11:11 PM

It's just a link you can read. The article explains the videos.

Posted Image

#4    Big Jim

Big Jim

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 249 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 12:16 AM

The part of a person's education paid for by taxes, essentially K thru 12, doesn't prepare them for anything.  So he's stealing the thunder of anyone who went to college on their own dime to prepare themselves to be employable.  I would imagine that most business owners can point out more ways that the government has impeded their progress than aided it.  So whether you are an employer or an employee I would say there is very little to thank the government for.  Just the opposite, it's those who don't create or don't work that the government supports.  They're the ones truly living on something they didn't build.

#5    preacherman76

preacherman76

Humble Servent

• 10,905 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 01:03 AM

Another thing, if I build a business, Im the only one who takes the risk. All these people who "helped me" arent going to lose everything when I go outta business.

Some things are true, even if you dont believe them.

#6    Sir Wearer of Hats

Sir Wearer of Hats

SCIENCE!

• 10,777 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 04:55 AM

You're absolutely correct, that business is yours, your responsibility and your right.
But it doesn't exist in isolation. You do benefit from the works of others, in effect someone paid you a "favour" which you should "pay it forward" by helping out in one way shape or form.

View PostBig Jim, on 21 July 2012 - 12:16 AM, said:

The part of a person's education paid for by taxes, essentially K thru 12, doesn't prepare them for anything.
except being able to read, count, add up and take away, understand the balance of rights and responsibility...

I must not fear. Fear is the Mind-Killer. It is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and to move through me. And when it is gone I will turn the inner eye to see it's path.
When the fear is gone, there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.

#7    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 35,615 posts

• In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 21 July 2012 - 10:10 AM

I hate it when some are incapable of recognizing the contribution of others to their success. I know I should not because there is a psychological explanation for it.... but I still do.

Edited by questionmark, 21 July 2012 - 10:10 AM.

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#8    Cradle of Fish

Cradle of Fish

Alien Abducter

• 4,583 posts

• "He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man." - Dr. Johnson

Posted 21 July 2012 - 11:06 AM

View Postpreacherman76, on 21 July 2012 - 01:03 AM, said:

Another thing, if I build a business, Im the only one who takes the risk. All these people who "helped me" arent going to lose everything when I go outta business.

I think they take as big a risk as you would. Consider the fact that the workers in a small business are more affected by the overall performance of the business. Working for a small business means less job security, less benefits and depending on how well the business is doing, potentially less pay and worse hours. They might in fact lose everything if they are reliant on the wage and can't get another job if the business fails.

I am not a man, merely a parody of one.

#9    karmakazi

karmakazi

Crazy Cat Lady

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,188 posts

• That which does not kill us, makes us stranger.

Posted 21 July 2012 - 11:56 AM

View PostCradle of Fish, on 21 July 2012 - 11:06 AM, said:

I think they take as big a risk as you would. Consider the fact that the workers in a small business are more affected by the overall performance of the business. Working for a small business means less job security, less benefits and depending on how well the business is doing, potentially less pay and worse hours. They might in fact lose everything if they are reliant on the wage and can't get another job if the business fails.

I have to disagree, building a business from the ground up, especially one that starts out with no employees, is like raising a child.  The people who are employed later are like babysitters.   It is a lot tougher losing your own child than losing a babysitting job.

I'm not discrediting the difficulties someone would experience if the place they work goes out of business...but it's more risky owning a business.  Employers want to see that you've worked consistently for someone else without time spent unemployed... putting on the resume that you were unemployed for years because you had your own business can sometimes cause them not to want to hire you. (and conversely it can also cause them to respect you, depends on the interviewer)   There is also significant risk in businesses that aren't incorporated, as if the business is sued they can go after the business owner and their personal property as well.   Not to mention that if a business tanks, the person who started it usually has a lot of time and money in it that can't be recovered.

If I had something witty to say, my signature would be a lot funnier.

#10    ninjadude

ninjadude

Seeker of truths

• 11,047 posts

• "dirt collects at the interfaces"

Posted 21 July 2012 - 08:22 PM

View PostIs it for real, on 20 July 2012 - 10:18 PM, said:

Pretty much sums it up for me.

http://pjmedia.com/z...ld-that-speech/

The problem is for the author that he presents what is known as a strawman argument. Obama presented no such argument. So the author created something with pieces in reality and the rest in a fantasy conservaworld, and then proceeded to knock his own creation down.

he presented a thesis which, like a three-legged stool, relies on three assumptions that must all be true for the argument to remain standing

"Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it. Begin it now!""
- Friedrich Nietzsche

#11    ninjadude

ninjadude

Seeker of truths

• 11,047 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 08:24 PM

View PostBig Jim, on 21 July 2012 - 12:16 AM, said:

The part of a person's education paid for by taxes, essentially K thru 12, doesn't prepare them for anything.

Try to get a job. Anywhere. Without a HS education or GED, it's nearly unattainable. So yes, it prepares them for work.

"Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it. Begin it now!""
- Friedrich Nietzsche

#12    ninjadude

ninjadude

Seeker of truths

• 11,047 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 08:25 PM

View Postpreacherman76, on 21 July 2012 - 01:03 AM, said:

certainly they will. The government will lose tax revenue for all the benefits it's provided so that you could start that business.

- Friedrich Nietzsche

#13    F3SS

F3SS

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,571 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 08:59 PM

People...businesses pay a lot of taxes. So the pay it forward talk doesn't make sense. The business pays taxes, the business owner then pays personal taxes on the wages he pays himself. Where does this rhetoric that business are leeching of society come from? You say the business can't work without roads and infrastructure and the business needs to gratify those who paid for it. Well guess what? That business owner also helped pay for those roads and so does the business, through taxes of course just like every other tax payer. It's not leeching. We all pay for the roads therefore we all can use them as we need. Just because a road or anything built by the government can indirectly help a business succeed doesn't mean they owe extra thanks or taxes on top of what they already give. We all have the same exact oportunity to use the infrastructure. We all pay for that infrastructure. And as far as people saying that businesses don't recognize or compensate those who have helped, namely employees, well that's just wrong. It's called a wage or a salary that the employee agreed to accept for the help they'll provide. It's a mutual understanding and aside from a binding contract, nothing is stopping you from seeking greener pastures if your job isn't cutting it for you. We give the government money to do certain things for us to maintain a functioning society. We don't owe them anymore than a pat on the back and a vote if we like them. They're only doing their job, that they asked for, and we pay them a salary for it. We are their boss and they need to stop undermining their boss. Go undermine your boss and see how that works out for you.

Posted Image

#14    acidhead

acidhead

Were Not Your Slaves!

• 10,570 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 06:32 AM

Personally I don't give two hoots what any of you have to say.... You didn't type that somebody else made that happen.

"there is no wrong or right - just popular opinion"

#15    acidhead

acidhead

Were Not Your Slaves!

• 10,570 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 06:42 AM

Posted Image

"there is no wrong or right - just popular opinion"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users